Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

goldmine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ahahahahaha

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

jesus christ

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ghetto as gently caress

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

lol amd

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

laffeaux

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

fokkin ell

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

never change, amd

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

they probably made all 8gb boxes then put stickers on 4gb ones cause they didn't know the exact ratio/yield.

when you can't predict the exact yield or demand for model then it kind of makes sense.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the 4GB models currently shipping are 8GB bios limited to 4

this is just for the convenience of the consumer savvy enough to flash an 8GB bios in there

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

what are the consequences if you flash one with a faulty 4GB sector though?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

it didn't work

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

it didn't work

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

atomicthumbs posted:

it didn't work
lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

what are the consequences if you flash one with a faulty 4GB sector though?

it will give glitches or maybe crash but you could always flash back the original bios

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i understand part binning but not in this specific case.

shouldnt the memory chips be tested before being installed on cards? or is there something else fucky with the cards that could cause problems with the full 8GB? and seriously how do you gently caress up the goddamn packaging like that.

idk idgi i feel like amd is having some monumental supply chain issues

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

YeOldeButchere posted:

if 50% of the ram you're using is failing qa in your product the answer isn't to use only half of it, it's to find a supplier that isn't headquartered in the dumpster behind a counterfeit chip factory

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

atomicthumbs posted:

it didn't work

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

atomicthumbs posted:

it didn't work

lomarf

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

YeOldeButchere posted:

if 50% of the ram you're using is failing qa in your product the answer isn't to use only half of it, it's to find a supplier that isn't headquartered in the dumpster behind a counterfeit chip factory

jack tramiel had this poo poo figured out over thirty years ago

Apr 7, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

jack tramiel had this poo poo figured out over thirty years ago

Yeah, and now he's dead. Makes you think.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still can't get a 1080 because they instantly go out of stock when they come in :argh:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Fabricated posted:

I still can't get a 1080 because they instantly go out of stock when they come in :argh:

it's ok you can play your games at lower settings for a little while longer. maybe play some older games instead, idk. maybe wait a few months and get the card on sale somewhere.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

atomicthumbs posted:

it didn't work

:chome:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

it didn't work

haha.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PleasureKevin posted:

they probably made all 8gb boxes then put stickers on 4gb ones cause they didn't know the exact ratio/yield.

when you can't predict the exact yield or demand for model then it kind of makes sense.

this would make sense 30 years ago when doing a four color print was time consuming, but full color on demand is cheap and easy now so thats some weak sauce excusing kevin

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

'damnit it, Jim! Get more of those stickers, the ram keeps failing and I ordered 250,000 8gb boxes! waahhh!' *both amd guys frantically place stickers on at a Lucille Ball pace*

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

*just piles of cards are pouring everywhere. angry gamers are clattering at the doors to get them but nothing works. jim slowly gets covered in a pile of cards as he places his head in his hand and rolls his eyes*

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

'oh amd, i'm home!' *house instantly collapses under the added capacity of two occupants*

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

amd is not a hill to die on, pleasurekevin.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I'm guessing it was cheaper for AMD to manufacture one type of card and bios lock a lower price point for their initial run. Get that ~MINDSHARE~.

It also makes the think their margins are a little higher than I had initially guessed. Or they're losing money on the 4gb models which would be pretty dumb but it is AMD.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

wyoak posted:

Or they're losing money on the 4gb models which would be pretty dumb but it is AMD.

Just make it up in VOLUME! Duh!

Apr 7, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

*just piles of cards are pouring everywhere. angry gamers are clattering at the doors to get them but nothing works. jim slowly gets covered in a pile of cards as he places his head in his hand and rolls his eyes*

Lol

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

wyoak posted:

I'm guessing it was cheaper for AMD to manufacture one type of card and bios lock a lower price point for their initial run. Get that ~MINDSHARE~.

It also makes the think their margins are a little higher than I had initially guessed. Or they're losing money on the 4gb models which would be pretty dumb but it is AMD.
vram is a huge portion of the cost of the card so 4gb is probably more than their entire profit margin. there is no way this happened unless they discovered some massive fuckup after the cards were already done. or you know gamers are idiots and you cant actually use the upper 4gb you bios unlock.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Alereon posted:

there is no way this happened unless they discovered some massive fuckup after the cards were already done. or you know gamers are idiots and you cant actually use the upper 4gb you bios unlock.

somehow I doubt its only one or the other

Apr 7, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

somehow I doubt its only one or the other

Awful Mangled Devices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

A Massive Disaster

• Locked thread