Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Sorry for the lovely quality, but does anyone else make lists of stuff to cook like this?

PS. I know I put down hushpuppies twice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

MrSlam posted:

Sorry for the lovely quality, but does anyone else make lists of stuff to cook like this?

No, but I should. It's probably better than the hundreds of Post-It note bookmarks I have sticking out of the edges of the cookbooks I never look at.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

MrSlam posted:

Mine's a tab in Sublime Text that I'm in denial about and never save, but because of the way Sublime Text works it's always there.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I have a Word doc called Recipe List of stuff I make regularly, some by category (like, things using rotisserie chicken from the store, breakfast, etc.). I tend to do a week's worth of grocery shopping at once so I'll look at my list to figure out what we want to eat/make. Helps a bunch when you just can't figure out what you have a taste for or are in a rut.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I use evernote pretty extensively and I collect stuff there. It isn't as organized as yours though. I basically just either take a picture of a recipe on my phone and give it a note or download the recipe from a website into a note. It is very low bar to get in evernote. The notepad style seems good because you have to go out of your way to add stuff to it whereas I have evernote on every electronic device I own so it is trivial.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I use Pepperplate for that functionality. I just write down a 'sketch' of the basic idea of the food, along with its title, and I can categorize my recipes. Works well for me, especially because Pepperplate is also a shopping list.

Evernote will do basically the same thing. Horses for courses and all that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If I'm in Vegas for the weekend and just want to pretty much walk in and get a seat and great food, what are some places I should be looking at?

bartolimu made an awesome post a few months back that I'm looking at but I dunno if some/all of those require reservations in advance.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Chada Street is never busy enough, reservations won't be necessary there.

Carson Kitchen can get pretty busy on the weekend, but if they're full you can walk two blocks east and have nearly-as-good food at Glutton.

Strip buffets are busy at peak hours on the weekends, but if you go at off times (e.g., 4:00pm) you'll have much less or no wait.

I've seen Secret Pizza have a line of up to ten minutes' wait, but since they don't do seating or much of anything besides slice and sling pies, it's never too long. Strip places in general will have a wait on weekends, especially new places like the SLS's flagships (Giada, which is impossible to get; Bazaar Meats). Bouchon is busy as hell during peak breakfast/brunch times, but not many people realize between brunch and dinner service you can sit at the bar and order from a restricted (and still spectacular) menu, without a ton of people around.

Off-Strip places mostly have low or no wait with some exceptions. You'll probably never get into Raku without a reservation or a 1+ hour wait; I've had to wait for a half hour even with a reservation. By contrast, Raku Sweets is generally fine on a walk-in basis.

As a general rule, plan to make reservations on-Strip unless you're content to wander until you find a place with no wait. Off-Strip and locals' places are walk-up friendly except during peak times, and even then you may be able to get in.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

MrSlam posted:

I'm the Fried Cards.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Speaking of organization, our spice cabinet is so drat cluttered. We have zero counter space so we use the spot any normal person would use for plates and glasses for our spices instead and somehow we've managed to fill up all three shelves. We keep telling ourselves we're going toss out the old and useless ones, but what if we really need to use those marjoram leaves we've never managed to find a recipe for? What if we need three whole canisters of dried parsley?

What do you guys do for spice organization? Which spices do you prioritize?

poop dood posted:

I'm the Fried Cards.

Oh poop dood you curd

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Does anyone have tartine #2, and if so, is it worth it?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

MrSlam posted:

Speaking of organization, our spice cabinet is so drat cluttered. We have zero counter space so we use the spot any normal person would use for plates and glasses for our spices instead and somehow we've managed to fill up all three shelves. We keep telling ourselves we're going toss out the old and useless ones, but what if we really need to use those marjoram leaves we've never managed to find a recipe for? What if we need three whole canisters of dried parsley?

do the spices spark joy?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I pretty much only have the spices that go into ras el hanout.

So, cumin, coriander, black pepper, salt, cayenne, paprika, ginger, clove, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, cardamom. I have them in jars with magnetic tops, stuck to a stainless steel plate on the underside of my cabinets. And of course, one giant jar of them all mixed together for the ras el hanout. That poo poo's good on everything!

Some curry powder is good to have on hand if you want to turn it more India, less North Africa.

Hasn't really steered me wrong.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MrSlam posted:

Oh poop dood you curd

I use some shelf sized open top bins that I put spices in. Bin #1 is only the stuff I use on a regular basis and bins 2/3 are for rarely used stuff / extras. The bins fit in pantry shelves or cabinets easily so I can stow the less used ones anywhere really. When Im cooking I just take the whole bin out once and put somewhere close by in the kitchen. Keeps from random spice jars cluttering up counter space all around the stove etc.

As for what to keep... depends more on what you cook I guess but black pepper, paprika, cumin, coriander, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, garam masala, star anise, ground ginger, herbs de provence, 2-3 different other kinds of smoked paprika / chili powder, cayenne pepper, bay leaves , dry ground thyme, mustard seeds, cumin seed and onion powder all seem to get frequent use for my own needs.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

do the spices spark joy?

I hate her. She is almost as culty as The Foodbabe.

MrSlam posted:

The question is, how many spices do you want to have out in the open, and how much counter space are you willing to sacrifice for it?

I like to have A TON of spices visible, so I can pick and choose at random. I have those round Ikea jars, sitting on a tiered wire rack. Looks like a little stadium.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've got a cupboard and a drawer full of spices. Some of them are bulk bags of whole spices, but I have 50-100 spices total. Organization is a lost cause, but I try - I alphabetize them, and put the most used ones in the drawer while less used spices go in the cupboard.

I have a problem.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only dried spices we really keep around are black pepper, cinnamon, cardamom, curry powder, oregano, chili powder, nutmeg, smoked paprika, and cayenne. Everything else we try to do fresh, and the only reason why I have dried nutmeg around is that I keep forgetting to buy some. We grow mint, basil, thyme and rosemary in a little garden outside, it makes a world of difference.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

The only dried spices we really keep around are black pepper, cinnamon, cardamom, curry powder, oregano, chili powder, nutmeg, smoked paprika, and cayenne. Everything else we try to do fresh, and the only reason why I have dried nutmeg around is that I keep forgetting to buy some.

Herbs I buy fresh, but most spices don't come in fresh form. I guess you could get fresh marathi moggu or something, but why? Dried spices don't lose any flavor until you grind them (or wait a year++).

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

We grow mint, basil, thyme and rosemary in a little garden outside, it makes a world of difference.

I really want to start doing this. Any idea if they can grow as indoor plants during the winter? I'd grow them all indoors all the time but the lighting in our house is pretty poo poo. Also, any tips?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

MrSlam posted:

I really want to start doing this. Any idea if they can grow as indoor plants during the winter? I'd grow them all indoors all the time but the lighting in our house is pretty poo poo. Also, any tips?

Is outside not an option? I'm in Illinois and have had to adapt from growing herbs in the UK. So Rosemary, Tarragon and Bay having to come inside over winter was a surprise. The main thing to watch out for, as I've found, is not so much light as keeping them too close to a cold window or door. That can shock them. Thyme, Lemon Thyme, Chives, Garlic Chives, Oregano, Hyssop, Sorrel and Mint survive outside (especially the Mint, it's a damned weed). Last winter I was still picking Thyme and Oregano from under the snow well into January. The soft herbs, Parsley, Basil, Chervil, Marjoram, Corriander, and Savory get replanted when Spring rolls around. The Parsley, Corriander and Chervil do come back, but I'm impatient. I don't have the room to keep the soft herbs alive inside in the quantities I use them, and over winter the heating dries out them out. So I'm fine with buying them until I don't have to.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

MrSlam posted:

I have a high window over my kitchen sink that gets sufficient light to keep a small herb garden going in north Florida. Some things just don't like living there - my attempt at growing cilantro failed within the first week - but I currently have oregano, Thai basil, rosemary, mint, thyme, and Italian basil growing happily and they all survived the darker winter months.

My suggestion would be to try a low cost experiment by getting some cheap plastic flower pots and starter herbs from your local garden center and see what works for your location. Plant some stuff and see if it makes it through the winter season and just accept the fact that you might have a few failures but they'll only cost you $5 or so. Once you know what works you can invest more money in a fancier setup.

Also, you'll likely need to get some kind of herb fertilizer and figure out how often to apply it - constantly picking stuff off a plant in a small pot depletes the soil after a while. I water my plants about twice a week and fertilize every 1-1.5 months.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Also, watch out for pests if you ever try to keep store brought herbs. Some re-sellers don't really give a poo poo (intentionally I'd wager) so the plant will be swarming within a week. Serious re-sellers also have better strains period. Once you find a good plant it will live for a long time if you keep watering, picking and replanting it. I bought a basil plant last summer which is somehow still alive and growing like crazy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Salt's a bit more complex than that- there are some possible genetic complexities such that different upper thresholds are a problem for different people, specifically with relation to blood pressure (not obesity). It appears that high salt intake very likely does lead to increased blood pressure, but there are several other individual-level factors that are an issue. None of these are very well understood, and they are frequently overstated. The current DRI does desperately need an evidence-based update, but that hasn't happened yet. In the meantime, following the DRI won't hurt you.

The current source of my rage is added sugar, which the FDA has (insanely) made a separate line item on the nutrition label. Given the lack of a clear definition, it's going to be abused for years, and mislead the public for a generation.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

The current source of my rage is added sugar, which the FDA has (insanely) made a separate line item on the nutrition label. Given the lack of a clear definition, it's going to be abused for years, and mislead the public for a generation.

What do you mean, made a separate line item? There are so many forms of sugar that companies use to hide in food, it's almost impossible to label it properly. Evaporated cane juice, molasses, corn syrup, brown rice syrup, etc. All sugar by a different name.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

What do you mean, made a separate line item? There are so many forms of sugar that companies use to hide in food, it's almost impossible to label it properly. Evaporated cane juice, molasses, corn syrup, brown rice syrup, etc. All sugar by a different name.

The new proposal is to list "added" sugar separately from the total Sugars line. So the definition here is "dietary sugar".

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So, like in ketchup, the tomato paste used is going to contain some fructose from the fruit itself, that will just be in the normal "sugar" line. But they're also going to add some sugar, or HFCS, or something else to the recipe to sweeten it even further, and that will be on a separate "added sugars" line? I don't exactly see the downside here, what am I missing?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It would be infinitely preferable to bar the use of the phrase "added sugar" from packaging altogether, because it's meaningless from a labeling standpoint. Added sugar isn't distinct from other sugars in any way- the concept of it is practically nonsensical. It's another way to attack "processed" foods. It also creates a health halo effect for foods without added sugar, independent of their composition (blended fruit juice is the classic example here). In the context of weight loss, it's another distractor from calories, which are all that matter. It's really frustrating to me because the people advocating for it are abusing nutrition research methods in absolutely mind-bogglingly stupid ways, and I know a bunch of the researchers involved.

It also isn't well-defined in the regs, so there are a dozen ways to circumvent it. In your ketchup example, I could probably purchase a sweetened constituent tomato pastefrom another branch of my own company and get away with avoiding listing it in the added sugar line despite the same total sugars label. It requires a whole new purpose determination in constituent that's going to take forever to hash out and will not be consistently enforced given FDA budget limitations.

Squashy Nipples posted:

The new proposal is to list "added" sugar separately from the total Sugars line. So the definition here is "dietary sugar".

The rule's been finalized, so it's happening. I'm usually very defensive of the FDA, but I have no idea why they are doing this. They also missed their chance to update the DRIs(like sodium) when they were setting up the new label.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 14, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Say hello to a new era of lovely tomato sauces that market "no added sugar"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think that might already be a thing actually...?

Well in the EU at least. :sweden:

EDIT: Labeling here is carbohydrates, with segmenting added to denote how much of those are derived from sugars.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 14, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

I think that might already be a thing actually...?

Well in the EU at least. :sweden:

EDIT: Labeling here is carbohydrates, with segmenting added to denote how much of those are derived from sugars.

We've got that, too, that was in the old edition of the nutrition label as well (the EU labeling regime was heavily derived from the US one, iirc). The difference is that this label also splits off an additional subset of sugars that are evil added.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Discendo Vox posted:

It also isn't well-defined in the regs, so there are a dozen ways to circumvent it. In your ketchup example, I could probably purchase a sweetened constituent tomato pastefrom another branch of my own company and get away with avoiding listing it in the added sugar line despite the same total sugars label. It requires a whole new purpose determination in constituent that's going to take forever to hash out and will not be consistently enforced given FDA budget limitations.

You're right, I didn't even think of that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I would love to know what stuff has added sugars, as it would help me avoid bad salsas. Same with a lot of other processed foods, poo poo is often too sweet tasting.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

bongwizzard posted:

I would love to know what stuff has added sugars, as it would help me avoid bad salsas. Same with a lot of other processed foods, poo poo is often too sweet tasting.

A little two-serving box of Kroger brand tomato soup has as much sugar as a drat can of Pepsi. I only even looked at the label after I tasted it and was like "what the gently caress." I emailed Kroger asking them to change their nonsensical recipe and instead they sent me a coupon for another box of their soup.

Not everything has to be candy. I think added sugars label would be a nice to have.

GMO labeling passed the Senate or something but the lobbyists got the law to allow them to hide it behind a QR code. Something like that, I'm sure I'm not getting it totally right. So now if you check your label (if your data even works in your grocery store) they can track all your poo poo thru some skeezy website. Also if you're poor and don't have a data plan you can go gently caress yourself I guess.

E:Also gently caress QR codes, why the gently caress should I have to get my phone out and open some malware riddled app when the label could say "GMO" in the same amount of goddamn space

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 15, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
If you're poor, it's socially acceptable for you to eat food without meaningless hipster cred.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

E:Also gently caress QR codes, why the gently caress should I have to get my phone out and open some malware riddled app when the label could say "GMO" in the same amount of goddamn space

Lobbyists.

Edit: poo poo you even said that, ha!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I only really care about GMOs from a patent/economic stand point, but overt sweet foods is a scourge on society. Sometimes I want salsa in the winter god dammit.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I don't really see listing added sugars as a separate item on the nutrition label as a bad thing. Yes, it can be circumvented (like the tomato paste from your own subsidiary example), but I think it would prove somewhat useful in being able to compare the ratio of naturally occurring to added sugars. It is really astounding at how much sugar is added to pretty much all foods. I pay very very close attention to ingredients and nutrition labels and even I miss added sugar sometimes, in the myriad forms in which it comes.

Not that the people who should be paying attention to this sort of thing will do so, of course, any more than they already did. <------------ this is the main problem with widely available food today, and the food manufacturers take extreme advantage of it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The "ratio of naturally occurring to added sugars" doesn't mean anything. The amount of added sugar being labeled only seems useful because people attribute incorrect meaning to it.

Added sugar doesn't determine how sweet food is (that's a combination of substances in the product), or how "natural" it is (that's a meaningless term), or how healthy it is for weight control (that's calories).

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

A little two-serving box of Kroger brand tomato soup has as much sugar as a drat can of Pepsi. I only even looked at the label after I tasted it and was like "what the gently caress." I emailed Kroger asking them to change their nonsensical recipe and instead they sent me a coupon for another box of their soup.

Not everything has to be candy. I think added sugars label would be a nice to have.

GMO labeling passed the Senate or something but the lobbyists got the law to allow them to hide it behind a QR code. Something like that, I'm sure I'm not getting it totally right. So now if you check your label (if your data even works in your grocery store) they can track all your poo poo thru some skeezy website. Also if you're poor and don't have a data plan you can go gently caress yourself I guess.

That's...not remotely anything like what happened with the GMO labeling bill. The QR code was a poison pill provision added by people opposed to GMO labeling, because the bill itself was the product of lobbying by interests in the "natural" food industry.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Discendo Vox posted:

That's...not remotely anything like what happened with the GMO labeling bill. The QR code was a poison pill provision added by people opposed to GMO labeling, because the bill itself was the product of lobbying by interests in the "natural" food industry.

I concede that the GMO labeling bill had to have had lobbyist advocacy. I would also say that "people opposed to GMO labeling" in this context is probably an army of monsanto lobbyists.

To clarify my position: I don't think a label that says simply "GMO" is useful. Almost every packaged food probably includes GMO ingredients. I think you'll probably see moron faux-celiacs with their GMO-free Amy's burritos next to a stack of grapples in their shopping carts. I know they're stupid but I don't hate them.
I just think that more accessible information about food's origins and ingredients is usually a good thing. I would prefer to avoid "roundup-ready" ingredients where I can, not for hipster cred, but because I believe it's one tiny, easy, socially responsible thing I could do if I had the information. Gotta get that karma where you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Added sugar doesn't determine how sweet food is (that's a combination of substances in the product)

um, what? If brands A and B are more or less the same in ever other ingredient, but A has more added sugar, how will it not taste sweeter?