Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

PaintVagrant posted:

The wear on my tires wasnt very bad, but I found the front end a little squirrely the first few time I rode it. I wrote it off as just what this sort of bike feels like. Then I took a look at the date on the tires...2004. Oh. No dry rot, no blueing, my tire guy who did the swap coudnt believe how good they looked for how old they were. But I assume they were hard as rocks.

Front end has no squirrelyness at all now, it feels loving incredible.

man dont put grandpa tires on a shiney new f4i :cmon:

@Pope hi5 i also got rid of the crappy old sport touring Contis the PO put on for the Pirellis and the tuono rides like a brand new bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Razzled posted:

man dont put grandpa tires on a shiney new f4i :cmon:

"Grandpa tires!" he grumbles, as he slowly mounts his maroon steed, grey-haired balls swaddled by its comfortable banana seat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think this was meant to be quoting me?

If so, yeah, it's in good but filthy condition. Figured it'll be easier to clean in pieces and then I'll know how it all goes together. Its been laid down, so the bars need a little tweaking (replacements later), and the clutch cover is busted right where the splined shaft comes out to the cable. Pukes oil when you kick it over. Replacement is on its way, then I need chain, tires, tubes. And a street legal kit eventually. Not bad for $500.

Yay, first dirt bike.

:doh:

It sure was!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Flat fix!

http://imgur.com/a/iBFdo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
2 weeks ago I picked up one of the MRA adjustable touring screens to add to the Bandit, in anticipation of some longer highway runs later in the summer. First time out seemed to quiet things down a bit but would obviously need some adjusting and retesting etc.

Went out today and the right mounting point slid off the windshield as I was blasting down the freeway at like 110 km/h. Got off the first exit to reposition the blade flat, since the air pressure alone would keep it steady for the remainder of the ride.

Got back home to see wtf was going on, and 3 of the 4 set screws that hold the clamps to the main windscreen are missing. And I thought I'd tightened them up pretty well when I installed it. :shrug:

Time to write some annoyed emails.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Eh, screws that you tighten yourself don't seem to be the company's fault.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Loctite is your friend.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Put blue Loctite on everything always.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I also enjoy Loctite 603

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Chris Knight posted:

MRA adjustable touring screen problems

But did it stop your trilby from flying off?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Put on Rox 2" rotatable risers and had to pull the triple apart to rerun the lines, I can reach the bars now without bending over too far.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Here4DaGangBang posted:

But did it stop your trilby from flying off?

LOL

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Installed the drive belt. Used KY jelly to help slide it on. Same stuff I use when my visor mechanism feels a little, err, dusty.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Got my 1956 BMW back together after rebuilding the engine and upgrading it from an R50 to an R69S which was a horrible idea that I never should have done. Everyone who knows these bikes knows that they were virtually unchanged in manufacture from 1955 to 1969. Except in this case "virtually" means that literally everything was changed but you can't tell it was changed by looking at the parts. All of the parts look identical and none of them fit. I had to replace the crank, cam, tappets, pushrods, heads, rockers, cylinders, pistons, carbs, entire exhaust, and had to have the engine case, front bearing carrier and timing cover modified by a machinist and had to carve up various other parts myself as well. The only thing I've gained by this was to have a late model R69S style engine in an engine case with a 1956 serial number on it. And I think there's a decent chance it may blow up after a hundred miles because I re-engineered the whole engine and I'm not an engineer. Ran fairly good today though, just has a slightly hanging idle which I'm assuming is an idle jet issue.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Old BMW's are remarkably like old Hondas, who knew?

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
I stole a spare master link chain clip from my roommate and applied it to my chain, which no longer had one.

Please go check your chains.

Also don't use clip chains.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

I stole a spare master link chain clip from my roommate and applied it to my chain, which no longer had one.

I check often, but I installed correctly so it's always still there.

Besides

*#*520 spare link in toolkit erry dey 520*#*

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Any idea on how you lost the clip? Clips seem pretty safe to me, I actually had to struggle a bit to remove mine when the time came. Can't imagine how it could just fall off by itself.

Edit: I would however never re-use a clip.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
Finally got new tires (Pilot Street Radials) for my CBR250 I got a month ago. I had been wondering why it was so hard to lean over in the first few times riding it. It was because stock the rear was pretty much shot and squared off (also has a small leak that looses about ~5psi per day).

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Label Facing Right posted:

Pilot Street Radials

You'll like those. I got them for the sumo several months back. Good all around tire, though the back likes to step out on really aggressive cornering (which might be more the bike than the tire). It's good in rain, and the tread has held up great.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

Coydog posted:

You'll like those. I got them for the sumo several months back. Good all around tire, though the back likes to step out on really aggressive cornering (which might be more the bike than the tire). It's good in rain, and the tread has held up great.

Glad to hear that. I was debating on just getting another IRC Roadwhatever rear but figured if I was going to get new tires I might as well just go ahead and get the full set.

I haven't really gained the confidence to corner super aggressively yet, but that may be because I'm worried the rear may slip out on me in the back of my mind.

Hooray Dialysis fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 7, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

makka-setan posted:

Any idea on how you lost the clip? Clips seem pretty safe to me, I actually had to struggle a bit to remove mine when the time came. Can't imagine how it could just fall off by itself.

Edit: I would however never re-use a clip.

It's happened to me but in that particular case it's safe to assume total and constant neglect was the cause. Don't use clip type master links.

Glad to hear that. I was debating on just getting another IRC Roadwarrior rear but figured if I was going to get new tires I might as well just go ahead and get the full set.

I haven't really gained the confidence to corner super aggressively yet, but that may be because I'm worried the rear may slip out on me in the back of my mind.

IRC's are criminally bad tyres, you don't know what you're missing. Also don't worry about the rear slipping out (unless you hit gravel or some other similar thing), the front will wash out long before that starts being a problem.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

that may be because I'm worried the rear may slip out on me in the back of my mind.

Good tires will help with that. Even when the back kicks out on the EX250, on Pirellis, it's more of a "WOOOOO" moment than a "WHOANONONO" moment. In general, good tires will give you a more controlled and uniform experience, so that you can learn.

Speaking of: Picked up the EX250 with brand new Pirelli Sport Demons front and back. Prior rear tire would have given me 10k easily, so I decided to just replace front and back with it at once.

Then the mechanic found an extra $300 of things needing done... :eng99: :suicide:
-rear brake pad cracked (no idea)
-rear hub dampener worn out badly (No idea how this happened)
-Cam chain tensioner gummed up so the cam chain has been flopping around badly and loudly for the past 5-15k . I have no idea, I just thought that was a normal Kawi drivetrain noise, and I did all the cam chain research to rule it out, too. God only knows what it's done to the engine, but it runs way smoother and quieter now.

I know switching bikes isn't how you run from mechanical problems, but I'm dreaming of vstroms again.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

I know switching bikes isn't how you run from mechanical problems, but I'm dreaming of vstroms again.

I beg to differ. :v:

Tomorrow I head down to Los Angeles for a week. I'm debating on whether I want to the the bike down PCH 1.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Any reason I shouldn't be mixing Simple Green and Pine Sol? Because holy poo poo does it strip grease better than either on its own.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, they're fine together. I use both all the time -- Simple Green for general cleaning, and Pine-Sol at 1:2 with water for heavy degreasing of engine parts (the cyclic hydrocarbons in pine oil do a good job with the similar cyclic aromatics in gasoline varnish, etc.).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

R6 got the Ohlins rear today. Pretty sure it'll need to come back off for a lighter spring since it's the 105nm / 600lb spring, ah well. Ohlins 20mm valve kit comes this week for the forks and I've got a set of Race Tech .95 springs to go in at the same time.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Readjusted the All Balls steering head bearings, it felt like they loosened up a bit during my trip, first adjustment was too tight which caused the rear to wander. It feels like I got it right now.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Simple-green'd and brillo'd the brake rotor. poo poo gets real pulsey if it gets dirty, and it always gets dirty. Made sure the rotor was floating ok.

Come to think of it I should probably hoard some rotor hardware for when it inevitably goes away forever.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Simple-green'd and brillo'd the brake rotor. poo poo gets real pulsey if it gets dirty, and it always gets dirty. Made sure the rotor was floating ok.

Come to think of it I should probably hoard some rotor hardware for when it inevitably goes away forever.

Yeah I've still got one of the EBR rotors stashed away, it's going to make me rich in a couple of years I tell you.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-abUtRbUS_U

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Last night I got to ride home in the dark with the brake light switch adjusted to be constant on because the tail light had gone out.

Today I fixed the tail light by pulling the seat off and looking at the connector. I didn't actually DO anything to it, I just LOOKED at it.

EDIT:

And here's a picture from the other day when I replaced the chain, sprockets and the bearing in the sprocket carrier.

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 14, 2016

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Your GN125 is so clean.

I should wash mine... show off my rust properly. :whatup:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dog Case posted:

Today I fixed the tail light by pulling the seat off and looking at the connector. I didn't actually DO anything to it, I just LOOKED at it.

It's weird how often this is all you need to do. A while back our outboard motor wasn't starting, so I took the carburetor apart, looked at all the pieces, couldn't find any problems, put it back together and vroom it fired up.

I think the float valve was stuck in place and just taking it apart loosened it up but still

your issue is likely corrosion inside the connector that you shifted around when you moved it, grinding off enough to get a marginal connection -- open it up and hit it with contact cleaner

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Dog Case posted:

Last night I got to ride home in the dark with the brake light switch adjusted to be constant on because the tail light had gone out.

EDIT:

And here's a picture from the other day when I replaced the chain, sprockets and the bearing in the sprocket carrier.

All the bikes at my MSF course were GN125s except for one or two. The instructor said at one point not too long ago they still had one fresh in the crate. They cracked open the crate, put it together and put some oil and and it was like a brand new bike. They must really taking a beating well. I could imagine all the drops and other crap they have been put through to be driven by newbies over and over and over. I almost wish I had taken some pictures but I left my phone in my backpack for most of the course and was busy chugging gatorade during breaks.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I lathered the bolts holding my kickstand on in lock tite and tightened the best I can with 2 finger tips. There is NO room for tools to reach those bolts unless you pull the pipes off from underneath the bike. I'm just glad I didn't lose the bolt when it backed out (not like it would fall out, you have to hit it out with something because it's so tight) and the bike didn't fall over when my kickstand was all wonky. It's still not super tight but I'm hoping the lock tite holds until I can get the pipes off to actually fit a new tool in there.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Schroeder91 posted:

I lathered the bolts holding my kickstand on in lock tite and tightened the best I can with 2 finger tips. There is NO room for tools to reach those bolts unless you pull the pipes off from underneath the bike. I'm just glad I didn't lose the bolt when it backed out (not like it would fall out, you have to hit it out with something because it's so tight) and the bike didn't fall over when my kickstand was all wonky. It's still not super tight but I'm hoping the lock tite holds until I can get the pipes off to actually fit a new tool in there.

:stare:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

It's holding so far. I'm gonna try and get it done today if I can. I had the kick stand strapped to the bike with a ROK strap yesterday, just in case the other bolt came out.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Schroeder91 posted:

It's holding so far. I'm gonna try and get it done today if I can. I had the kick stand strapped to the bike with a ROK strap yesterday, just in case the other bolt came out.

Which European thumper are you riding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Suzuki Vstrom 1000. If you wanna hear more about bolts backing out, before I had it towed in for the engine replacement I found a subframe bolt backed out about 70%. When i got the bike back, they said all the engine mount bolts were loose, and I didn't loosening any of them.

I meant to check over everything after I got it in October but kept procrastinating and then forgot. 06 with 41k miles when I got it, now 50k. The PO supposedly did a quite a bit of off pavement riding and tipped it a few times in dirt/gravel. Even claimed to go over a local mountain range 5 or 6 times on it.