Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I assume he had the sky DS in his ear telling him to haul rear end, so he did. Think later.

Must have been gutted when Porte rode past him on a bike.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Levitate posted:

Quintana looked like poo poo as soon as things got hot. I'm pretty poo poo at following pro racing and all but if he was expected to contend for the GC and waited until the race is half over to make any moves and then got absolutely roasted on this climb that wouldn't seem to bode terribly well for him having any chances to contest Froome.

That said, again, don't follow pro racing very much (trying to change that this year) and yeah if the GC stays close and he gets his legs back under him I guess he's still in it, but drat that looked bad today.

I assume they didn't penalize Froome for running without a bike basically because they erased everything that resulted from the crash anyways?

There aren't many chances in the first week to gain ground as a climber, but the chances he's had over the last few days haven't worked for him either. Last year he was best in the third week and that's when he made most of the ground up on Froome, he just had a hole to big to dig out of.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
It's perfectly fine/normal for these guys to have on and off days, so I wouldn't take quintana's weakness today to mean anything going forward. If anything I'm more optimistic for him in the third week because froome said they started their taper early this year because he fell off in the third week last year. It could absolutely happen again, and today's adrenaline dump isn't going to help him with tomorrow's tt.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

wide stance posted:

Can't you run without a bike as long as you cross the finish line with one? Froome was running pretty drat well on his cleats, I assumed he was barefoot until I saw the yellow shows.

No, you can''t move forward without a bike. Amateur racers know this, the pros certainly do as well, as least when they are not in a state of hypoxia induced panic.

In a related story: http://inrng.com/2016/07/the-finances-of-team-sky-2015/

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Sky's 2016 pre-tour training agenda:
- Attacking down hill.
- Descending like a mad man.
- Being cool.
- Attacking in the cross winds.
- Doing the unexpected.

Sky's 2017 pre-tour training agenda:
- Running up the hills
- Fitting a spare bike in your back pocket.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Rhaegar posted:

Sky's 2016 pre-tour training agenda:
- Attacking down hill.
- Descending like a mad man.
- Being cool.
- Attacking in the cross winds.
- Doing the unexpected.
-boxing/MMA practice for punching out spectators

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Only 1 comment so far on poor Richie the nice guy of the peleton who routinely has the worst loving luck, in virtually every race he has been in including at Sky

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Levitate posted:

Quintana looked like poo poo as soon as things got hot. I'm pretty poo poo at following pro racing and all but if he was expected to contend for the GC and waited until the race is half over to make any moves and then got absolutely roasted on this climb that wouldn't seem to bode terribly well for him having any chances to contest Froome.

That said, again, don't follow pro racing very much (trying to change that this year) and yeah if the GC stays close and he gets his legs back under him I guess he's still in it, but drat that looked bad today.

Can't really blame Quintana. Sky always "magically" have domestiques who used to be average that can chase down all top GC riders from other teams. It isnt a fair race. He tried to animate things at least. They really should just end the tour now. Can't keep it secure as is and some ISIS nut could do something horrible.

wide stance posted:

NBC feed is worthless.

NBC uses the same international feed every broadcaster shows

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

fickle poofterist posted:

Only 1 comment so far on poor Richie the nice guy of the peleton who routinely has the worst loving luck, in virtually every race he has been in including at Sky

He was in a 50 rider break at the 2010 Giro that Liquigas didnt chase and it gave him like 20 minutes on the leaders and the pink jersey for a few days, and he ended up finishing 7th due to it, leading people to think he'd be a future grand tour winner, then he proceeded to be a bad domestique for Contador for a few years

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Too soon?

BeeSeeBee fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 13, 2018

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Don't know about too soon but I don't think it's very funny fwiw

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
If anything the loser of yesterdays antics is Mollema who was doing fine and is now still behind Quintana who was having an off day.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
only just caught up.

lol

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Porte cleans up in 1 week races so it's not like he has no results but the fluke in the Giro. He's usually pretty strong except for a bad day or two, and does have a lot of bad luck. All of his chances to ride for himself in grand tours have been hampered by bad luck and illness.

Still I don't think he will win a grand tour.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Bud Manstrong posted:

Do any of the teams in the race even use Mavic pedals?

Think they take look cleats which a huge swathe of the peleton are on.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

He was in a 50 rider break at the 2010 Giro that Liquigas didnt chase and it gave him like 20 minutes on the leaders and the pink jersey for a few days, and he ended up finishing 7th due to it, leading people to think he'd be a future grand tour winner, then he proceeded to be a bad domestique for Contador for a few years

Not really anything to do with his bad luck, and also 2 teams and 5 years ago, but ok

Edit: im not claiming he will ever be anything but an outside contender for GC, just saying he has constant lovely luck

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 15, 2016

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Speaking of Quintana,

https://twitter.com/assekevin/status/753720450551836673

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I don't think anything's going to come from that, since that happened during the same clusterfuck that the organizers will want to gloss over as much as possible

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

What's wrong with Tony?

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

He's been working a lot for the other Martin.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Dumoulin doing extremely well so far

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah he crushed it. 90 seconds faster than Oliveira

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Did Dumoulin save himself for the time trial stages or suttin?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good sideslip there.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Bud Manstrong posted:

Speaking of Quintana,

Regardless of whether it's ignored it doesn't look good.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How do you gently caress up mechanicals on the yellow jersey's bike that aren't fixed three minutes before he starts the time trial? Have their mechanics been stealing the medical supplies?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Quintana nearly misses a corner :v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
With hindsight, Dumoulin should have tried to make his mechanical doping less obvious.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
Quintana had the most blatant mechanical doping yesterday.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I know the French have had a rough day but they really should try sounding a little more cheerful when they yell Froome's name at him

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
gently caress froome

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

fickle poofterist posted:

Not really anything to do with his bad luck, and also 2 teams and 5 years ago, but ok

Edit: im not claiming he will ever be anything but an outside contender for GC, just saying he has constant lovely luck

Ok allow me to spell it out for you. It is in fact "good luck", what I posted.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Can someone explain what the gently caress I'm supposed to be looking at here

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

At like 00:10-00:12 shortly before the one guy yells PENDEJOOOO you can see Nairo grabbing onto a spare wheel on the neutral bike

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
So that's pretty much a wrap for GC barring a crash eh?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

clean ayers act posted:

So that's pretty much a wrap for GC barring a crash eh?

You mean another crash

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
If it wasn't for the overall crash and nullification of the end of the race Nairo would have been penalized for that. Of course, we remember Nibali getting caught on camera getting a lift from his team car and precious little coming of it.

edit: Whoops, I'd forgotten he was expelled from the race. Stupid memory.

Xir fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 15, 2016

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Quintana needs his usual miracle recovery 3rd week now more than ever.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Quintana on sky doping would be up by an hour already and the motos wouldnt be able to keep up with him going uphill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?