Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Sorry for the double post, but that's an old one.

I want to return my 2014 Verizon Moto X to stock rooted. I got the download link for the image from Motorola, but when I tried to follow the directions here, I got some errors on the command line with the first command (fastboot flash partition gpt.bin):
pre:
(bootloader) Preflash validation failed
FAILED (remote failure)
At this point, the phone shows
pre:
hab check failed for primary_gpt
Does anyone have any experience working with Motorola phones? I've tried Googling and haven't had any luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I cant see the instructions without a login, but when I briefly had a moto phone, I needed to use a specific motorola fastboot

I think it was mfastboot? So any kind of back to stock guide you had to substitute mfastboot as the command

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Sorry about that. Here's the instructions, no mention of mfastboot (although I have tried using that instead):

Motorola posted:

1. Make sure you have a Moto Pure Edition or a Developer Edition device.
2. Make sure you download the corresponding recovery image from the above portal.
3. To flash, put the phone in fastboot mode: Power OFF...then Power ON+Volume Down .Alternatively, you can reboot into fastboot mode if you have adb... adb reboot bootloader
4. Next flash the images using fastboot:

$ fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
$ fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
$ fastboot reboot-bootloader
$ fastboot flash logo logo.bin
$ fastboot flash boot boot.img
$ fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
$ fastboot flash system system.img
$ fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
$ fastboot erase modemst1
$ fastboot erase modemst2
$ fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
$ fastboot reboot

You'll notice that, strangely, it specifies the Pure/Unlocked versions of the phone, even though mine wasn't to begin with.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ah ok i remember now

dont worry about flashing gpt.bin, you cant flash the same (or lower) version on top of it

just carry on with the rest

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I get errors on several subsequent flash commands as well. The motoboot one says
pre:
Motoboot: Unknown partition name
Preflash validation failed
FAILED (remote failure)
Flashing boot.img results in
pre:
Image size exeeded [sic] partition limits
image size exceeds limit
Failed to flash partition boot
FAILED (remote failure)
Lastly, I tried flashing the system anyway, which resulted in
pre:
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
Invalid sparse file format at header magi
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 523497764 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
sending sparse 'system' (507133 KB)...
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 523497764 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
writing 'system'...
Invalid sparse image
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

hooah posted:

You'll notice that, strangely, it specifies the Pure/Unlocked versions of the phone, even though mine wasn't to begin with.

Verizon locks down bootloaders pretty good, could that be the issue?

I have VZW Galaxy S5 and the consensus was I can have a brick or I can have a VZW phone.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm out of ideas aside from downloading the image again, maybe its corrupt?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

hooah posted:

Sorry for the double post, but that's an old one.

I want to return my 2014 Verizon Moto X to stock rooted. I got the download link for the image from Motorola, but when I tried to follow the directions here, I got some errors on the command line with the first command (fastboot flash partition gpt.bin):
pre:
(bootloader) Preflash validation failed
FAILED (remote failure)
At this point, the phone shows
pre:
hab check failed for primary_gpt
Does anyone have any experience working with Motorola phones? I've tried Googling and haven't had any luck.

Did you unlock the bootloader yet?

Did you relock the bootloader since then?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Edit: ^^ I did unlock it, have not relocked it.

Motorola allowed unlocking some time this Spring. I suppose there could still be a problem since it's a Verizon device. I'm currently working on trying the advice in this XDA thread.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

hooah posted:

Edit: ^^ I did unlock it, have not relocked it.

Motorola allowed unlocking some time this Spring. I suppose there could still be a problem since it's a Verizon device. I'm currently working on trying the advice in this XDA thread.

Are you using a Verizon stock image, or a Pure Edition image?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I thought a Verizon stock image since that's what I thought I requested access to from Motorola, but someone in that XDA thread linked me to a zip that worked.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Alight, up and running, with just one oddity: Google+ crashes only when I scroll more than a half-screen down on the "Member" Communities tab. Everything else in the app works fine. The app worked fine before reverting from CyanogenMod 13 back to stock, and I have the same setup: Xposed with Gravity Box, Secure Settings (which I probably don't need anymore), and Always Correct! Any ideas what the hell could be messing up G+?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

hooah posted:

Alight, up and running, with just one oddity: Google+ crashes only when I scroll more than a half-screen down on the "Member" Communities tab. Everything else in the app works fine. The app worked fine before reverting from CyanogenMod 13 back to stock, and I have the same setup: Xposed with Gravity Box, Secure Settings (which I probably don't need anymore), and Always Correct! Any ideas what the hell could be messing up G+?

Xposed, probably.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Xposed, probably.

That's my feeling too, but why would it break G+ on stock but not CM?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

hooah posted:

That's my feeling too, but why would it break G+ on stock but not CM?

CyanogenMod's maintainers expect the OS to be well and thoroughly hosed with, and have revised and built their fork of Android accordingly, to the extent they are able. Keep in mind CM developers and maintainers are more likely than the general population to do weird poo poo with their own phones.

Motodroid's maintainers don't, and why should they.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Anyone have tips for custom Roms to work better with Google Fi? Changing permissions and moving the Fi app around and chmoding it didn't seem to help.

I kept getting the message:
Restore your service calls and texts wont work unless you change your app permission settings

I was pretty much running a minimal also Google source built ROM, but sadly Google doesn't officially support non "Nexus pure" Roms yet

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Damnit I've gotten myself in a jam.

I decided for some stupid reason to upgrade my Samsung GS3 up to Cyanogenmod 13 from some earlier version (4.0.0/Jelly bean?) which went alright, problem is now I'm encountering a specific app which has stopped working because it now detects rooting (It's an app to buy digital tickets to ride the city tram), I installed Xposed framework along with RootCloak but it made no difference after adding the app, I rolled back and reflashed to an older version (4.4.4) and still getting the error.

I was going to try Xposed again but I can't find how to load it on 4.4.4, it's pretty strange as I rooted the phone many months ago and the app has been working fine.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

MachinTrucChose fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 3, 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

dunno if it does system apps but this seems like it should do what you want

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.greyshirts.firewall

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

^ ^ ^ Does not support IPv6. Has not been updated in nearly two years. Wooooow.

From the sound of it, Xposed will irreversibly break your phone. Assuming it still functions, your phone will effectively become an ecosystem with a population of one, which will make even regular apps an adventure.

Even on a Nexus, Xposed will break your phone, just not irreversibly.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

From the sound of it, Xposed will irreversibly break your phone. Assuming it still functions, your phone will effectively become an ecosystem with a population of one, which will make even regular apps an adventure.

From what I seen it just offers it's own apps, either way I factory reset and moved to something more stable, will have to figure something else out or just adapt to not using sensitive apps.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not too sure why it runs so well, but I got Marshmallow running on my Samsung Galaxy SG2 and now I can pretend I have a real phone

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Super Slash posted:

From what I seen it just offers it's own apps, either way I factory reset and moved to something more stable, will have to figure something else out or just adapt to not using sensitive apps.

You can't factory reset away from /system edits, that phone doesn't really have manufacturer-supplied recovery images, and these days pretty much every app worth using considers itself sensitive. I do not use the word "break" lightly.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I have a Verizon Droid Razr M on 4.4.2 that I recently un-jailbroke and am now trying to jailbreak again. I had it jailbroken with towelroot and used superuser to unroot it. Towelroot is telling me my phone is not supported even though that is what I rooted it with about a year or two ago. Is there some other way to root my phone again?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Maybe, but I'd rather not encourage people who buy Verizon Specials.

If you want to go it alone, pretty much every phone is a snowflake at low levels, so have tons of fun on XDA.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Jailbreak is only for Apple devices.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Maybe, but I'd rather not encourage people who buy Verizon Specials.

If you want to go it alone, pretty much every phone is a snowflake at low levels, so have tons of fun on XDA.
This is true. I just spent two days off and on rooting and installing cyanogen mod on a droid razr maxx. No one set of instructions for anything was ever complete; they would always leave out one critical detail. e.g. I spent quite a while not being able to do the last step of the rooting process because I had set my phone to be a usb mass storage device rather than an MPT (or is it MTP?).

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
I just picked up a Note 4 on eBay and am having a lot of trouble getting Fastboot to recognize it. I want to do `fastboot bootloader unlock` so I can root my device, but even after installing both the ADB drivers and Samsung's device drivers, `fastboot devices` doesn't show it. `adb devices` will recognize it correctly and I can run ADB commands. The device is recognized in my device manager on multiple machines when it is in fastboot mode as "SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem". I can't seem to find the fastboot drivers for it. Where the hell are they? The device is SM-N910P.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jo posted:

I just picked up a Note 4 on eBay and am having a lot of trouble getting Fastboot to recognize it. I want to do `fastboot bootloader unlock` so I can root my device, but even after installing both the ADB drivers and Samsung's device drivers, `fastboot devices` doesn't show it. `adb devices` will recognize it correctly and I can run ADB commands. The device is recognized in my device manager on multiple machines when it is in fastboot mode as "SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem". I can't seem to find the fastboot drivers for it. Where the hell are they? The device is SM-N910P.

Unless I'm misinformed, fastboot doesn't work on Samsung devices. The thing you're trying to do is Nexus only as far as I know.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

Unless I'm misinformed, fastboot doesn't work on Samsung devices. The thing you're trying to do is Nexus only as far as I know.

That would explain a lot. :downs:

Thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
FWIW, fastboot does also work on Moto phones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

FWIW, fastboot does also work on Moto phones.

And even that requires that you have a special fastboot (commonly called "mfastboot") and a non-carrier device.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Nah, mfastboot it works fine with my (unlocked, to be true) Verizon 2014 X.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I'm trying to delete a bunch of old leftover files that my phone won't let me access. How do I root an HTC One? The programs in the OP don't seem to list it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Mikedawson posted:

I'm trying to delete a bunch of old leftover files that my phone won't let me access. How do I root an HTC One? The programs in the OP don't seem to list it.

How are you trying to delete them?

If you still have enough storage then rooting to delete stuff isn't worthwhile.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mikedawson posted:

If your phone isn't letting you delete things perhaps it's for a reason?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Which HTC one? The original M7?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Try a factory reset first? Whatever data it is that's annoying you will probably be gone after that. If it isn't, then you can start thinking about rooting, as the process to do so requires you to factory reset your phone anyway.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

If your phone isn't letting you delete things perhaps it's for a reason?

Also if he's trying to delete from a computer, MTP doesn't always keep the file register up to date. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but reboot your phone and see if the files are still there and/or an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So is there a way I can forcibly load one of these new Play Store-enabled Chrome OS builds onto a Chromebox? They've got a similar build to some of the cheaper Chromebooks that can run it, but Google's being dicks.