Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Boner Slaem posted:

Britain will literally not survive if the EU refuses to trade with it.

This is the kind of alarmist rubbish these threads could really do without. The insane 'sky is falling' rhetoric is really tiresome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
It's true though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

sassassin posted:

This is the kind of alarmist rubbish these threads could really do without. The insane 'sky is falling' rhetoric is really tiresome.

:ironicat:

Versus your passive, almost ignorant, understanding of events at hand?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Ran Mad Dog posted:

It's true though.

It's not though.

edit: I mean, I read that post as "if the EU refuses to trade with the UK on special terms", i.e. the UK goes back to WTO trade standards. That's a net loss, but not the end of the world. There's no reason the EU would refuse to trade with the UK outright, that's nonsense.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

Versus your passive, almost ignorant, understanding of events at hand?

Rude, but yes.

This isn't the apocalypse, but a number of people around here have nonetheless seemed to have given up hope, sounding borderline suicidal and/or haven't stopped drinking since the vote.

Britain will not literally cease to function as the result of an EU exit.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Britain will be universally worse off after the EU exit though, which is the whole problem. The UK is committing itself to a disastrous decision on the basis of a non binding decision, which is itself based on a skewed, wrong perception of how democracy works, since precisely one of the reasons why there is a parliament in a parliamentary democracy is to avoid the tyranny of the majority.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I took "not survive" to mean "not exist in its current form" e.g. "Scotland will leave". Which is plausible.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Angepain posted:

I took "not survive" to mean "not exist in its current form" e.g. "Scotland will leave". Which is plausible.

Then why specify trade, since I don't think it's trade deal terms that are really at issue there.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Disinterested posted:

Then why specify trade, since I don't think it's trade deal terms that are really at issue there.

In a broader sense they're still a contributory factor: the a great deal of Scottish Independence participants voted No to prevent an economic catastrophe very similar to the one they've now been dragged into.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

sassassin posted:

We also export a significant amount of food to the EU (more than 70% of all our food exports).

That figure means the EU trade is important to the UK. It doesn't mean the UK is important to the EU. The UK isn't 70% of EU food imports.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Playing a bit of devil's advocate here, the one scenario where I see the UK doing better under Leave is if there's a total political and economic collapse of the EU and the eurozone in the next decade. It could be migrants, internal strife, economic depressions, armed struggle, whatever.

I mean things would still be really lovely, but maybe less lovely than if Remain had won because you would have a head start in establishing your own trade deals, policy, etc.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Soooo.... Hammond says 6+ years to get decent deals going, Malmström says no trade negotiations are allowed for Britain while they are still EU members (i.e. before the Article-50-period of two years is over) since EU members are not allowed to negotiate their own trade deals outside the bloc, while Davis says 12-24 months for finished trade deals with the US & China while he wants to wait at least half a year with triggering Article 50. I wonder who might be talking out of his arse here.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Could the EU prevent a Brexit-bound UK from agreeing trade deals with countries outside the EU? Doesn't seem likley.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pissflaps posted:

Could the EU prevent a Brexit-bound UK from agreeing trade deals with countries outside the EU? Doesn't seem likley.

That's not the point, and completely ignores who their actual major importers are.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hollow Talk posted:

Malmström says no trade negotiations are allowed for Britain while they are still EU members

Do you have a source? I'm really sceptical about that because article 50 explicitly provides 2 years to negotiate the exit deal between EU and Britain, as soon as it's triggered.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

That's what the European courts are for. But the UK only has about 20 trade negotiators on staff, so all this talk about Britain being able to to negotiate separate trade deal with outside countries before concluding the negotiations is moot anyway: it just doesn't have the manpower.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pluskut Tukker posted:

That's what the European courts are for.

...for the EU to enforce treaty obligations? I don't think that's true.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

waitwhatno posted:

Do you have a source? I'm really sceptical about that because article 50 explicitly provides 2 years to negotiate the exit deal between EU and Britain, as soon as it's triggered.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36684876

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36682735

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36678222

Also, this brief contains a lot of "should" and "could", so this depends a lot on how the EU wants to play this: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2016/577971/EPRS_BRI(2016)577971_EN.pdf

edit: Also, the exit deal is not the same as a deal for future trade or any other agreements, but in itself only governs the withdrawal itself.

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 15, 2016

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Article 258, Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union:

quote:

Article 258
If the Commission considers that a Member State has failed to fulfil an obligation under the Treaties, it shall deliver a
reasoned opinion on the matter after giving the State concerned the opportunity to submit its observations.
If the State concerned does not comply with the opinion within the period laid down by the Commission, the latter may
bring the matter before the Court of Justice of the European Union.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Article 258, Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union:

I stand corrected.

Still won't happen.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I stand corrected.

Still won't happen.

Making sure that EU law is observed is literally the European Commission's job, and they sue member states for failing to do so on a very regular basis. So yes, the CJEU can absolutely get involved.

If the UK were to try and negotiate with anyone else you better believe that there will be legal action. If it isn't brought up by one of the other member states, it may be by some industry group that competes with British business. I could in fact contact the Commission myself to file a complaint if I were to hear about the UK negotiating externally by itself.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I find the idea that the EU would attempt to penalise the UK for negotiating outside of the EU, while negotiating to leave the EU, unlikely.

Though it might have a consequence for Brexit negotiations.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pissflaps posted:

Breaches of treaty obligations are handled by the European Commission in the first instance. However, the risk of fines would very much be a secondary concern: the much more pressing issue is that we will require tremendous amounts of goodwill and good faith from our negotiating partners if we are to secure any kind of not-disastrous leaving deal, and wiping our collective arse with our treaty obligations does not seem like a particularly good way of generating goodwill or good faith. On top of that, the third countries with whom we'd be negotiating these new treaties might start asking awkward questions like "if you're so willing to poo poo on your obligations under the EU treaties, how can we be confident that you won't do the same thing to us if the treaties we're negotiating now turn out to be inconvenient to you in the future?"

It might be quite difficult to formulate convincing answers to questions like that.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's absolutely insane that no one on the British side did any research on this stuff or made any preparations by asking for expert legal opinions beforehand.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

waitwhatno posted:

It's absolutely insane that no one on the British side did any research on this stuff or made any preparations by asking for expert legal opinions beforehand.
Plenty did. The research was rubbished as fearmongering.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

LemonDrizzle posted:

Breaches of treaty obligations are handled by the European Commission in the first instance. However, the risk of fines would very much be a secondary concern: the much more pressing issue is that we will require tremendous amounts of goodwill and good faith from our negotiating partners if we are to secure any kind of not-disastrous leaving deal, and wiping our collective arse with our treaty obligations does not seem like a particularly good way of generating goodwill or good faith. On top of that, the third countries with whom we'd be negotiating these new treaties might start asking awkward questions like "if you're so willing to poo poo on your obligations under the EU treaties, how can we be confident that you won't do the same thing to us if the treaties we're negotiating now turn out to be inconvenient to you in the future?"

It might be quite difficult to formulate convincing answers to questions like that.

I'm sure Boris would be able to reassure these third countries in short order!

:downsgun::hf::saddowns:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Edit: ^^^ Dammit.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Don't worry, I am sure that Boris will be able to handle it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

LemonDrizzle posted:

Plenty did. The research was rubbished as fearmongering.
every day when i go into the lab i swill down the first bottle marked corrosive i see, because who are these so called "experts" to try and scare me into not drinking glacial acetic acid with their fancy hazard symbols if my gut tells me its probably going to be fine

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fangz posted:

That figure means the EU trade is important to the UK. It doesn't mean the UK is important to the EU. The UK isn't 70% of EU food imports.
While that is correct, you're forgetting all the stuff the EU imports from Canada, India, Australia, Singapore, and so on.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

While that is correct, you're forgetting all the stuff the EU imports from Canada, India, Australia, Singapore, and so on.

How much of that stuff goes through Britain? I thought the whole role of the UK was to serve as a link between anglophone countries and the continental EU, trade-wise?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

That sounds like some sort of Leave campaign rationalization (not accusing you or anything, it's just where that talking point might have come from).

Everyone speaks English. There's nothing special about the UK that is lost when dealing with Anglophone countries. The EU has its experts and negotiators. And the ships go directly to where they are needed, like to Rotterdam. It's not like they physically need to stop at the UK. I doubt they do even now, because everything related to shipping goods is streamlined down to a form of art. Planes fly to the US from DeGaulle all the time, etc.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Psst, the Empire is over. The Queen can't just command India to stop trading with Europe any more.

Genetic
Aug 25, 2015

Fangz posted:

Psst, the Empire is over. The Queen can't just command India to stop trading with Europe any more.

It's still there in the minds of some people. Same as the way the Cold War is totes still going on, oooo that Putin he cares so much about the UK.

I've had both of these arguments thrown at me by pro-leavers and I utterly failed to find a way to counter the sheer historical revisionism of it all.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

A Buttery Pastry posted:

... What does that have to do with anything?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

... What does that have to do with anything?
It was a joke about how basically all pro-exit arguments seem to assume the UK is, essentially, the British Empire.

Genetic posted:

It's still there in the minds of some people. Same as the way the Cold War is totes still going on, oooo that Putin he cares so much about the UK.
To be fair, we totally are in a new Cold War.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You do realize that Canada has been in talks with the EU to negotiate a trade deal, right? Completely independent of whatever the gently caress the UK is doing. We're not beholden to British whims when it comes to trade or foreign affairs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pussy Cartel posted:

You do realize that Canada has been in talks with the EU to negotiate a trade deal, right? Completely independent of whatever the gently caress the UK is doing. We're not beholden to British whims when it comes to trade or foreign affairs.

In fact, with a shiny new EU trade deal in place, Canada could be in a position to really take advantage of the UK's apparent desire to cut off its nose to spite its face.

Genetic
Aug 25, 2015

A Buttery Pastry posted:

To be fair, we totally are in a new Cold War.

I think that undersells the actual Cold War a bit, but I get where you are coming from.

I guess to rephrase, I'd say 'Some believe that the Cold War never ended and that the UK is a major player.'

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Genetic posted:

I think that undersells the actual Cold War a bit, but I get where you are coming from.
I see your point too, it's certainly not the Cold War at its height yet.

Genetic posted:

I guess to rephrase, I'd say 'Some believe that the Cold War never ended and that the UK is a major player.'
Yeah, that does seem to be the case. It's like the last seven decades didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

Rude, but yes.

This isn't the apocalypse, but a number of people around here have nonetheless seemed to have given up hope, sounding borderline suicidal and/or haven't stopped drinking since the vote.

Britain will not literally cease to function as the result of an EU exit.

No it'll just be an even more miserable dreary place to live. loving yay. Silver lining or what. Some people expected more of life.

• Locked thread