Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I was just getting all excited for the new gooncar thing but then I realised that I'm in England next Sunday so can't be there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I have a birthday dinner on Sunday, not sure what time do idk if I can GoonCar yet. Don't schedule the Bristol race until mid-August plz, because I'm busy every Sunday until then and I don't want to miss Bristol GoonCar

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I think I'm game for switching to Discord but will still keep IRC open.

There a way it can be used to make signups for events go smoother?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I'm probably just going to schedule a few one off newbie races until summer is over to serve as a gateway drug.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Vando posted:

It distorts really badly on a regular basis, not 100% of the time but enough to be annoying as poo poo. Doesn't seem to be a fix for it and mumble Just Works so I see no reason to change if it's just going to be a hassle.

Well, bummer. If you ever want to give it another go, we could try switching the server region (US East at the moment but they have locations all over) to see if that helps.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
It took me forever to finally break down and put Mumble on my computer and now you want to make me switch again? Crazy talk!

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
I've got Mumble, Teamspeak, Skype, and Discord all currently installed. Unless you're an audiophile with expensive headphones (I'm not), you can't really tell much of a difference in voice quality.

They all work, so whoever is organizing the races should pick one and everyone else just install the drat software.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

BeRandom posted:

Unless you're an audiophile with expensive headphones (I'm not), you can't really tell much of a difference in voice quality.

They all work, so whoever is organizing the races should pick one and everyone else just install the drat software.

Hi this isn't loving true, just because it works for you doesn't mean it's the same for everyone as has literally been said like 3 posts above you numbnuts! :mad:

e: re: switching setups, unless there's a compelling reason to switch we should probably just stick with what we do currently, I don't know of anyone having problems with Mumble for comms but if there's an issue there, just say and we can look into it.

Vando fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 11, 2016

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
VLN is coming up again this week. :toot:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Discord has a lot of problems. Plus the point of using mumble is to set it up on your own dedicated server or vps, then manage users/ban/mute people as needed. Plus,

quote:

Wondering how we’ll make money? In the future there will be optional cosmetics like themes, sticker packs, and sound packs available for purchase. We’ll never charge for Discord’s core functionality.

lol

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

So if we're Gooncar-ing again, I made a thing:

Might buy a banner ad and see if we can round up any more iracing newbies or goons who don't know this thread exists?

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.
Its very tasteful, I like it.

If anyone's lurking and not sure if they want to take the plunge on iracing and a bit daunted, It was the first driving game I bought when I got my wheel and before that i'd only played driving games casually on and off. I dont' really know poo poo about cars, however I do know that racing people is proper fun and you should do it. It's like night and day vs driving against AI in other games and really gives that adrenaline rush, whether fighting for 1st or 15th place.

Obviously I am still poo poo, but the learning stage is the most fun right!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Dusting off my PS3 controller for the newbie races!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Bentai posted:

Dusting off my PS3 controller for the newbie races!

Cautions are on, drive accordingly :v:

(drive off the line when you spin and it shouldn't throw the yellow I think)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah as long as you keep the car rolling you should be alright to avoid a caution

B and C at New Hampshire this week - never have been able to figure that one out. Bye bye iRating!

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 11, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm bummed I didn't find the time to race at Kentucky because I really took a liking to that track in the practice sessions I ran.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

What day do the tracks switch over in iracing? I want Charlotte back because I was getting good at it and I want to pretend I'm good at racing.

I've been playing around in the D licence Chevrolet Impala, and goddammit it's too much car for me to properly handle. My safety has taken a giant poo poo due to those races.

Edit: it changed over sometime between my earlier race and now.

The General fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 12, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think it works out to something like midnight between Monday / Tuesday GMT.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When Monday turns into Tuesday GMT, the week changes.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Yup. Impala race and already at x10 by lap 30. Only 2 of that is my fault :smith:
I made it. 52/60 laps and 16/17 contact points. Hurr. I need to run some rookie races to improve my safety because Jesus gently caress I am terrible.

Bristol is a nice track though. The stands look big enough to hold every Nascar fan in the world.

The General fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 12, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bristol holds I think 100k people which is insane for a short track. Though I think they only got 3-4000 there for the race earlier this year.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Vando posted:

Vando posted:

After a bit of practice I'm pretty decent with a controller.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

Bristol holds I think 100k people which is insane for a short track. Though I think they only got 3-4000 there for the race earlier this year.

Bristol before it was the loving coliseum that it is today looks so weird in hindsight. Accordingly, it was just a poky little short track with a stand on the front stretch.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I dunno why everybody hates the rookie stock car ovals, that's where I fix my safety rating after loving it up in the D series. Two completely clean races in a row, and thank God, I tanked my rating to 1.5 last week.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Hell, I miss rookies at USA Intl. Charlotte was always a bit boring because it's like a plate race without pushing and run in slow motion. Good for SR if you stay away from people, though. Street stocks at USA Intl, nothing wrong with that.

I really can not wrap my head around how crazy it is that the D car doesn't have cautions. It's just madness. Bristol, even with a SOF of 3416, so these are people who can turn left when they're supposed to, people are simply GOING to wreck at Bristol, and when it only takes you 15 seconds to get back to the scene of the crime, it's just a constant clusterfuck.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 12, 2016

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

If you get a good group of people Street Stocks at USA are great fun; its just that in a rookie series you're going to struggle to get a good group of people

Its annoying that I'm away at the weekend, lots of really good tracks are being run and I'm going to struggle to race at any of them...

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Trucks, Skip and Nationals are all real fun for me right now.

Starting to feel better about ovals! Spent 8 laps two wide and Bristol going 3 on passes and had a loving blast.

Hey have any of you guys done the 3 days skip barber school by chance? A buddy and I are eyeballing some dates. Love to hear some goon opinions.

Norns fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 12, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wish I could afford to do it. Does that count?

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

Cojawfee posted:

I wish I could afford to do it. Does that count?

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general
If I ever move to the US I'd love to do it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
My god jesus. I ran the D car at Martinsville. I've never been out of rhythm for so many consecutive laps that I simply stopped racing before. Qualified 6th in the top split, was running 5th with no issue at all. Then on lap 10 of 60, I miss a corner. Ahh come on man, make it up. Miss the next. Miss the next. Now I'm just in my head. One after another. Next thing I know it's lap 25 and I'm running 10th and the rest of my race is just "let's lock em up into every corner because this race is over." Bad, bad, bad drive. Bad Stripe.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 15, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My god jesus. I ran the D car at National. I've never been out of rhythm for so many consecutive laps that I simply stopped racing before. Qualified 6th in the top split, was running 5th with no issue at all. Then on lap 10 of 60, I miss a corner. Ahh come on man, make it up. Miss the next. Miss the next. Now I'm just in my head. One after another. Next thing I know it's lap 25 and I'm running 10th and the rest of my race is just "let's lock em up into every corner because this race is over." Bad, bad, bad drive. Bad Stripe.

I had this last night with IMSA at Sonoma. Qualified solid mid pack and got progressively slower and sloppier every lap until I was running last in class, 30 seconds behind the next GT3 and barely faster than the C-Specs. Did enough laps to make sure I had participation and parked it.

Iowa in Late Models is good fun though so I'll do that for the rest of the week.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Helicon One posted:

Did enough laps to make sure I had participation and parked it.
lol yup, I've been there. I remember running Sprint Cup at Atlanta in a full length race (328 laps) and just loving up all sorts of ways until finally I just pulled into the pits for about 30 laps and walked around the house pretending like I wasn't terrible, before hopping back in to pick it up where I left off.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I did that once in an Indycar race at New Hampshire; was up front all race until a yellow came out just at the start of my fuel window and I was one of a very small number of cars to pit which put me in a fab position if we went green to the end of the race, and then after that I spun in turn 1 on two straight restarts and caused a load of yellow laps without damaging my car; I just quit because I was incredibly embarrassed. Still gained irating I think!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That happens whenever I get a little too loose. I don't know if the game simulates overheating the tires but once I lose it a bit, the car feels squirrely for a while and I end up too scared to drive as hard as I was before.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tire temperatures, and all the behavior that goes with it, is a big part of the modeling. You can absolutely roast the tires and need to cool them down a bit, especially on an oval.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My god jesus. I ran the D car at Martinsville. I've never been out of rhythm for so many consecutive laps that I simply stopped racing before. Qualified 6th in the top split, was running 5th with no issue at all. Then on lap 10 of 60, I miss a corner. Ahh come on man, make it up. Miss the next. Miss the next. Now I'm just in my head. One after another. Next thing I know it's lap 25 and I'm running 10th and the rest of my race is just "let's lock em up into every corner because this race is over." Bad, bad, bad drive. Bad Stripe.

That's Martinsville for you. Lose your rhythm there and you're 100 percent hosed.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Reminder this is on Sunday, don't forget to sign up to the league, don't worry if you think you'll be bad, we're all bad.

Vando posted:

Hmm lots of people getting into iRacing? Sounds like it's time for...

:siren: Summer Gooncar Newbie :getin: Event, Sunday 10:10pm GMT+1 (10:30pm grid time) :siren:

Will be at:

USA Speedway! Yes, that track where everyone dies in rookies.

Featuring:

The Skip Barber! Get out there and buy this, you'll need it for like 90% of every Gooncar events ever.

:supaburn: Newbies welcome!

If you're new and haven't been added to the league yet, apply HERE and also GET IN MUMBLE DETAILS IN THE OP

:siren: THIS IS NEXT SUNDAY BE THERE DON'T SUCK :siren:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Wish I could, but I got scheduled to work this Sunday:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm going to get home just in time to miss the race. :(

• Locked thread