Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Necc0 posted:

linking aim completely borked my contact list which remains borked to this day- over a decade later

software scars

at the time gtalk used xmpp federation but aol was a special snowflake and instead gave us a binary library with a terrible api that called back and exposed their friend list and other data to us which we composed in to the rest of your talk contacts. the sandbox around that pos lib was the crashiest process in all google production for 3 years lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

why didn't you just use pidgin's api or whatever it used to be called

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
google fi added uscellular so im probably gonna switch because i can get the same level of signal without the lovely contract structure, ftw

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i've been testing fi out on a separate number and the reception is as good if not better than at&t. they just added three overseas too. the pricing structure is great if you average 2-3gb a month because you don't get hosed on overages.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

triple sulk posted:

i've been testing fi out on a separate number and the reception is as good if not better than at&t. they just added three overseas too. the pricing structure is great if you average 2-3gb a month because you don't get hosed on overages.

I have a N5 and the fact that it's incomparable with fi and sheer laziness are about the biggest things keeping me from switching away from tmo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

have u considered grandfathered unlimited vzw data

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

works on any phone

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Progressive JPEG posted:

works on any phone

lolllllllllllllllll

We'll sell you the whole network, but you'll only need the EVDO!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

every phone worth getting works on verizon

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sorry your virgin mobile samsung whatever doesn't, i guess. you probably can't afford verizon anyway

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Adix posted:

i think hangouts is a nice name :shobon:

reminds me of old man scrotums

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

virgin mobile samsung

phone-os-avg-sexual-partners.jpg

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

sorry your virgin mobile samsung whatever doesn't, i guess. you probably can't afford verizon anyway

White Knighting for Verizon. drat, that's a new low, even for YOSPOS.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Smythe posted:

White Knighting for Verizon. drat, that's a new low, even for YOSPOS.

pls dont kink shame

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Endless Mike posted:

lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
can you hear me now? good. you suck lol.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Verizon is the worst at everything

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

Verizon is the worst at everything
yet sprint is still worse

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

lolllllllllllllllll

We'll sell you the whole network, but you'll only need the EVDO!

i had an unlocked freebie vzw-branded moto x 2013 then was given a freebie non-p nexus 6

took the nano sim out of the moto x and put it in the nexus 6, workes fine?? idk if n6 has got an evdo codec or what but i get functioning '3g' if i'm in a tunnel or in the middle of fuckin nowhere, and functioning lte everywhere else

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

the verizon "can you hear me now" guy is doing sprint commercials now. seriously. lol.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i want the hot at&t girl to hit me and call me names and then the wendy's girl spits in my mouth

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

my pink '00s bae

:jackbud: :jackbud:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

my pink '00s bae

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

i had an unlocked freebie vzw-branded moto x 2013 then was given a freebie non-p nexus 6

took the nano sim out of the moto x and put it in the nexus 6, workes fine?? idk if n6 has got an evdo codec or what but i get functioning '3g' if i'm in a tunnel or in the middle of fuckin nowhere, and functioning lte everywhere else

yeah Nexus 6 and newer work on Verizon out of the box

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

my pink '00s bae

her helmet was too loose in those commercials

you shouldn't be able to just slip it on like a hat, like she does -- it's supposed to be a tight fit over your face and you have to give a hard yank on the chin strap to pop it into place

:spergin:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wtf is a Fi

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

wtf is a Fi

google wireless service that only works* with the nexus 5x/6/6p. it swaps between (presently) t-mobile, sprint, and us cellular towers depending on what provides the best coverage for your given location. they also just added three for international travel. you pay a base fee of $20 for unlimited talk and text, then a rate of $10/gb of data. if you go over, you are still charged at that same rate, but only per mb used. if you go under, you get credited for the amount you didn't use. basically you pay $30/mo base and at worst you might pay $40/50 a month, but you never have a risk of getting hosed by an overage or throttling. you are also charged at the same rate for international data.

*as far as i understand you can activate the Fi sim in a nexus device and put it in an iphone, for instance, but it only uses t-mobile.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I think Google gets mad and tells you to stop of they see an unsupported imei on their thing tho. Pointless convo tho, as there is no need to use a non Nexus as they are best in class (all cell phones)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

my pink '00s bae

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Smythe posted:

I think Google gets mad and tells you to stop of they see an unsupported imei on their thing tho. Pointless convo tho, as there is no need to use a non Nexus as they are best in class (all cell phones)

6p ftw

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
can't wait for the next nexus, or the nextus, as i like to call it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

This

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
What color did you get?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

triple sulk posted:

google wireless service that only works* with the nexus 5x/6/6p. it swaps between (presently) t-mobile, sprint, and us cellular towers depending on what provides the best coverage for your given location. they also just added three for international travel. you pay a base fee of $20 for unlimited talk and text, then a rate of $10/gb of data. if you go over, you are still charged at that same rate, but only per mb used. if you go under, you get credited for the amount you didn't use. basically you pay $30/mo base and at worst you might pay $40/50 a month, but you never have a risk of getting hosed by an overage or throttling. you are also charged at the same rate for international data.

*as far as i understand you can activate the Fi sim in a nexus device and put it in an iphone, for instance, but it only uses t-mobile.

this sounds cool except for having to let Google spy on you and all while using an android

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this sounds cool except for having to let Google spy on you and all while using an android

Nah. Stfu.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
can I use fi on my iPhone 5 in Europe

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Maximum Leader posted:

can I use fi on my iPhone 5 in Europe

I think it literally works on 2 phones, the nexus 5x and the 6p.

I just bought a 5x because of this thread (also saw it for $240 on slickdeals) mostly because I think I want to get fi. the only thing that worries me is the coverage isn't going to be that great. as lovely as Verizon is as a company, the service is fantastic and if I am unable to make a concerned phone call while being gangstalked in rural Kentucky, I am gonna be pretty miffed.

maybe I'll keep a pre-paid Verizon SIM in my wallet "just in case" and pop that bitch in if my car breaks down in the middle of the Nevada desert. either way, it's pretty cool that a phone finally has antennas for every frequency imaginable for the truly paranoid such as myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

my pink '00s bae

Me reading this post

• Locked thread