Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

odiv posted:

Okay, so say I'm ready to try this Virgin Mobile deal. Do I just pay the $50 Bell wants for unlocking? That seems steep and I haven't really been paying attention to this poo poo.

I do kinda need a new phone anyway and was going to drop by the Sony store while I'm down south for the week, but apparently they were all shut down.

Virgin and Bell are on the same network. You won't have to unlock your phone.

Telus/Koodo is the same thing as well.

Edit: Rogers/Fido

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plotskee
Mar 10, 2010

Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
Edit: Derp, Virgin is owned by Bell.

Thanks for the heads up on new deals for Koodoo et al, $5 less for 500mb more. It's like someone removed one of the glass shards from my butt! :20bux::20bux:

plotskee fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 28, 2016

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

SystemLogoff posted:

Virgin and Bell are on the same network. You won't have to unlock your phone.

Telus/Koodo is the same thing as well.

Oh sweet thanks a lot, glad I asked.

I have been talking myself into new phone. Looking at the Sony Xperia X series. Anyone have one yet? I guess for this I can check outside of the Canadian thread.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

It's a Sony phone. So it's awesome until you get a crack in the screen and then it's 100% not responsive anymore. If you do go for it, get a impact-glass protector and a bump case.

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
Will an iphone locked to telus work on Koodo?

Also, is there a reliable place to get an iphone unlocked cheaper than the 50$ telus wants?

edit: poo poo that was answered a few posts up. I'm still somewhat wary though...

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

ColonelMoutard posted:

Also, is there a reliable place to get an iphone unlocked cheaper than the 50$ telus wants?

edit: poo poo that was answered a few posts up. I'm still somewhat wary though...

If you're worried about it, go to a kiosk and get it set up there, so you can cancel everything before getting stuck in some SIMless mire. But there shouldn't be a problem.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Yes a Koodo phone will work on Telus and vice versa without unlocking

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
My dad has complained to me that his 3rd Gen Moto G (on Telus) hasn't received any of the Marshmallow security updates that it should have- the latest patch is from December 1st 2015. Does this sound like a problem on the carrier's end?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

ColonelMoutard posted:

Also, Koodo can unlock a Telus iphone for $35. If you do go that route, don't tell Koodo that it's a Telus locked phone. Just give Koodo the IMEI. I've unlocked two iphones that way before.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Any decent 3/4gb plans under $50, or am I still sticking with Wind at 5 for $30?
It's cheap and all, but speed and coverage is literally up and down on Adelaide, and Twitch is pretty much a no go.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mister Macys posted:

Any decent 3/4gb plans under $50, or am I still sticking with Wind at 5 for $30?
It's cheap and all, but speed and coverage is literally up and down on Adelaide, and Twitch is pretty much a no go.

Nope unless you're willing to lie on a contract and get a Manitoba plan from one of the big boys. Otherwise the current 2gb deal is your best bet until some once a decade sale pops along.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

How does one go about lying and getting a good (sask) plan with an Ontario number?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

JoelJoel posted:

How does one go about lying and getting a good (sask) plan with an Ontario number?

The way I got on the SKMB plan with Koodo (a few years ago) was by going to Future Shop and telling the guy I was moving to Winnipeg for work for a year and needed a Winnipeg # and SIM. Had a whole story for him about some bullshit customer install & support thing I had to do there, he didn't care, he didn't even need a Winnipeg address (told him I didn't know where I'd be staying yet). Got home, ported my number over online, and that was that. Not a peep from Koodo since about the fact I live in Toronto, have only been active in Toronto, and have a Toronto number. My CTO at the time used to own an ISP and I come into work and I said, "Erik, I scammed a telecom!" and before even hearing what I'd done he smiled and gave me a high five. Not even telecom people like telecoms. It's a fair play, I think.

Now, FutureShop doesn't exist anymore and I heard Koodo has gotten more anal about getting people on these plans, but that's how I did it ~2 years ago. Where you COULD find up to date info is HowardForums. I know people do a trick where they do something like buy a phone online with a SK/MB number, have it shipped elsewhere, then port the number over, then return the phone ... something like that. The online method always seemed clunky to me, but hey, if you feel uncomfortable lying through your teeth to a salesman who doesn't give a drat, that might be an option.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

JoelJoel posted:

Google - "howardforums Manitoba plan 2015"

It's only Manitoba now, Sask is out.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So how do I get voicemail notifications with a Nexus 5x on Koodo? There must be some magical incantation I'm missing but this poo poo has never worked for me. I've gone into the Settings for the Phone app and ensured it says "Your Carrier" under Voicemail. Nothing. In the Notifications menu I can't find anything related to voicemail. It just doesn't work and I don't know what else to try.

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016
Currently on Koodo but with a lovely smartphone (S2X Galaxy from way back when), but now have the funds to afford a real smartphone.

Im seriously looking at Wind because of their $35/m plan, plus the windtab. Don't really care about unlimited calling, but do like the unlimited texting and 5GB per month deal they have on now (plus the no-fee cap thing if you go over).

Some deals on with the S7 Galaxy, but also am leaning towards the Nexus 6P because I don't want all that Samsung bloatware that comes with most of their phones, but I am a giant klutz with expensive things so I like the waterproofing.

Any advice? I wish someone would update the OP to reflect today, because the last time I bought a phone was like, pre 2012.

P-Value Hack fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 12, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

P-Value Hack posted:

Currently on Koodo but with a lovely smartphone (S2X Galaxy from way back when), but now have the funds to afford a real smartphone.

Im seriously looking at Wind because of their $35/m plan, plus the windtab. Don't really care about unlimited calling, but do like the unlimited texting and 5GB per month deal they have on now (plus the no-fee cap thing if you go over).

Some deals on with the S7 Galaxy, but also am leaning towards the Nexus 6P because I don't want all that Samsung bloatware that comes with most of their phones, but I am a giant klutz with expensive things so I like the waterproofing.

Any advice? I wish someone would update the OP to reflect today, because the last time I bought a phone was like, pre 2012.

If you go with Wind, don't live in London.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Wind was absolute poo poo in Calgary for me as well. Could barely break 1 mbps download, and tons of dropped packets. Took 30 seconds to load a google map

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

P-Value Hack posted:

Find as many people as you can that have Wind in your area and ask them what the coverage is really like. Because Wind tends to be garbage and you could end up not getting any signal inside buildings or anywhere near your home or work. Sometimes it's fine, but don't expect it to be.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My old coworker was on wind while I was mobilicity. He had no problems in greater Vancouver area at all, and I'm convinced his data was faster than mine, so all in all pretty good. They had a good roaming plan when we went to Vegas. If you're not in van though that's probably pretty useless to you.

I really like my Nexus 6p after rocking an og Nexus 4 for 4 years, but it's also the most expensive phone I've ever owned, and that was buying cheaper off Craigslist

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Scudworth posted:

Find as many people as you can that have Wind in your area and ask them what the coverage is really like. Because Wind tends to be garbage and you could end up not getting any signal inside buildings or anywhere near your home or work. Sometimes it's fine, but don't expect it to be.

I want to emphasize this, if you know someone with wind, ask if they get signal at the places you spend most of your time. And be as specific as possible, down to the individual building.

I live in suburban Toronto and wind is absolutely perfect at my house, but when I visit relatives that only live 10 minutes away, I can't get signal unless I'm within a foot of a window.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Just taking a bus down a main thoroughfare (Adelaide St. N), I can literally watch the connection strength go up and down.

Consistency for Wind is just soo bad.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I've said this before, I'll say it again, just to remind you guys. I live near Yonge and Dundas in Toronto, but actually across from the bus terminal on a street called 'Edward'. To call it 'very central' would be an understatement.

I used a Wind mobile stick on the 11th floor that TSI provided for me when my Internet connection wasn't working. On the 11th floor, when it could connect (which it often couldn't), I maxed out at about 4 megabits per second. Ping was terrible and the connection was very spotty. I tried it over LTE on my Koodo connection and I got 30-40mbps up high, 70mbps at ground level, and it always connected, and pings were good. I mean, not great, but for mobile, they were good. Like 150ms to Wind's 200-400, when it even bothered to connect.

Wind is a pile of poo poo in my opinion, especially if you spend any time in high-rises or in interiors of any buildings. I talk to people about mobile a lot and I don't know anyone who lives in the city who is happy with Wind, other than the price.

Take that for what you will. "Do as I do" I suppose - I got on the SKMB plan with Koodo, which might be harder these days, but it's only slightly more expensive and a much better network.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Wind keeps dropping my connection anytime I'm about to catch something rare in Pokemon Go so I'm loving done with them.

I'm going to try the Howard Forums Manitoba plan in the coming week or so. I'll report back on how it goes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

If you live in downtown van or Toronto wind is fine. Everywhere is dog poo poo - and to the person praising wind for being faster than mobilicity, lollllll.

I've had wind since I moved to Canada (first in gta/kW, now in London). It has never been good, merely adequate for the price. I recently jumped on the 2gb koodo plan and it's just stunningly better.

The other bonus to wind is if you go to the states several times a month, their roaming plan is better than anything else in Canada.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wind is fine if you're outdoors in a flat area with few obstructions and pretty much poo poo everywhere else unless you happen to be right beside a tower. I did it for a long time because it saved me literally thousands of dollars vs Rogers/etc but it was never "good". Any time I went indoors it just pooched. As soon as I could get that Koodo/SK plan I jumped ship and the performance is night and day.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I tried Wind for a few weeks to see if I could switch and it was loving awful in downtown Van, in comparison I get full bars LTE-A on Rogers downtown.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Wind is fine if you're outdoors in a flat area with few obstructions and pretty much poo poo everywhere else unless you happen to be right beside a tower. I did it for a long time because it saved me literally thousands of dollars vs Rogers/etc but it was never "good". Any time I went indoors it just pooched. As soon as I could get that Koodo/SK plan I jumped ship and the performance is night and day.

Yeah a big problem for wind is that they couldn't afford enough towers and combining that with their high frequency spectrum, it means you get awful interior coverage everywhere just about.

It sounds dumb but I share a shopping list app with my spouse and having coverage in the grocery store has been really handy in case they want to add to the list while I shop.

I also just remembered the most frustrating issue I had with wind: I'd have like four or five bars of coverage and data would be at 2g speeds or less quite often (I know how slow that is and I'm not exaggerating) - even outside.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

Yeah a big problem for wind is that they couldn't afford enough towers and combining that with their high frequency spectrum, it means you get awful interior coverage everywhere just about.

It sounds dumb but I share a shopping list app with my spouse and having coverage in the grocery store has been really handy in case they want to add to the list while I shop.

I also just remembered the most frustrating issue I had with wind: I'd have like four or five bars of coverage and data would be at 2g speeds or less quite often (I know how slow that is and I'm not exaggerating) - even outside.

Yeah its funny, I never really cared at work/home because of wi-fi but trying to use data at a mall or the grocery store just pissed me off. I only needed it in a few places but I really needed it for price comparison and etc. Sometimes I would have full coverage but a pageload would still take 40 seconds or just fail outright. Anyways Wind was great for saving me money while other carriers had absurd plans so no real regrets but I hope they get that new LTE spectrum phased in ASAP.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, shopping in Metro will kill my DI.FM streaming. At 48kbps.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Scudworth posted:

Google - "howardforums Manitoba plan 2015"

It's only Manitoba now, Sask is out.

I thought it was the other way around, since it's MTS that's getting bought out?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

I thought it was the other way around, since it's MTS that's getting bought out?

This is correct.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Walking around and playing Pokemon Go for the last few days has made me realize how truly awful MTS' data coverage is, but then I remember that I have unlimited data(throttled at 15gb, but still no charges) and I wish for Bell to burned to the ground.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Once Shaw decides that I can't grandfather in my Wind plan yeah I'll start shopping around but until then Imma keep paying 30 bux/mo

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Wind is fine for me in Ottawa but I'm on an ancient plan now and I like my 5gb of data. The only place it doesn't work in some government office buildings where no ones phone works.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

yellowcar posted:

Once Shaw decides that I can't grandfather in my Wind plan yeah I'll start shopping around but until then Imma keep paying 30 bux/mo

Yeah this is my boat. Really killer old $30 plan. Even if I tried moving within wind for another plan I think I would be paying$50 or sundering like that

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Any of my mobilicity peeps get this sms today?

quote:

Mobilicity: You may have heard Mobilicity will be joining the chatr family in the fall. We have exciting news to share about your exclusive chatr plan! Visit mobilicity.ca/mychatrmove/ now for all the details and to learn more! Plus, as a bonus for completing the site you will earn a 10 dollar bonus credit in your chatr account within 30 days of when you join.

I'm phone posting and don't have time to check it right now so if anyone else does and finds out they're jacking rates let me know. Otherwise I'll update tonight after work.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

JoelJoel posted:

Wind keeps dropping my connection anytime I'm about to catch something rare in Pokemon Go so I'm loving done with them.

I'm going to try the Howard Forums Manitoba plan in the coming week or so. I'll report back on how it goes.

I did this and it worked out great, for anyone interested. They had all kinds of disclaimers stating that if I wasn't a resident I would lose the plan but no problems yet. I'll check back in once I've got a few bills and can confirm that they don't seem to care (for the time being) but so far so good!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Scaramouche posted:

Any of my mobilicity peeps get this sms today?

I'm phone posting and don't have time to check it right now so if anyone else does and finds out they're jacking rates let me know. Otherwise I'll update tonight after work.

They offered me unlimited talk/text in North America + 6gb 3G for $30 a month. Went up from $25 though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-new-plan-38-unlimited-provincial-talk-international-text-2gb-2027437/

Here's a decent deal if someone wants to port their number