Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Are you using Barret in the Front or Back Row? I never could decide which I wanted. Then I kicked him out of the party for Vincent and Cait Sith. (I've literally never used CS. I want to try something new)
Back row with Cover & Counter on. The defense stack is makes him insanely tanky if you give him the right arm slot.

Tifa's been turned into the fastest character on the team since the game threw both a glove that gives her +30 Dex but also a arm slot that gives an additional +30 Dex.

I have no idea what to go for for Red, Cloud & Aeris. Just sorta stack magic on them cause currently I've no good way to boost strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've always been kind of fascinated by all of FF7's armor being armwear. When I was a kid that baffled me, though I just kinda rolled with it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're actually the personal shields from Dune

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm fascinated that they decided to follow up a character death with some awesome rad snowboarding pretty soon after.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I read that the New Threat mod lets you keep Aeris in the party past disc 1. How does it justify that in the story, out of curiosity?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I don't know yet but it probably doesn't.

I figure she'll just plop down after the death scene and you continue as if nothing happened.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

I read that the New Threat mod lets you keep Aeris in the party past disc 1. How does it justify that in the story, out of curiosity?

I just checked a video out of curiosity and ... Cloud uses a Phoenix Down! :D

:D :D :D

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

multijoe posted:

I just checked a video out of curiosity and ... Cloud uses a Phoenix Down! :D

:D :D :D

Well that's the dumbest possible way to handle it.

Given that there are apparently new bosses and sidequests that seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The mods really designed around the gameplay changes at the sake of some story. He probably knows it's dumb but just did it anyway cause it was quick.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Chrono Trigger was such an incredible mixture of writing, art direction, gameplay, charm, incredibly cool ideas, and nostalgia goggles that I don't think it can ever be replicated again in a direct sequel and that is ok.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Chrono Trigger does not need another sequel. Chrono Cross does though need a remake.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

An official translated release of Radical Dreamers as a mobile game would be nice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's no way a Chrono Trigger sequel can be good unless it accurately replicates me being 16 again

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

There's no way a Chrono Trigger sequel can be good unless it accurately replicates me being 16 again

don't underestimate the powers of vr

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Chrono Cross has its flaws, such as really, REALLY dumb plots (the whole underlying nature message of the game is ridiculously stupid) but it wasn't as highly rated as it was JUST for being a Trigger sequel in a time where Squaresoft could do no wrong.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Golden Goat posted:

I'm fascinated that they decided to follow up a character death with some awesome rad snowboarding pretty soon after.
I'm just waiting for the inevitable Guard Scorpion fight ten seconds after her death.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Bravely default chat:

I'm getting to play it for the first time and it seems great, like a true spiritual successor to FF5, which I love. Is there anything in the early game I should know about? Just got to Florem.

I'm also keeping my guys in the first jobs I changed them to until mastery, a habit I picked up from older games. Is this a bad idea? Tiz is a L7 monk, Agnes a L7 white mage (just hopped her over to time mage though), Ringabel a L7 black mage and Edea a L7 Knight.

Also is there any real noticeable base stat differences that would make a character better at one job vs another?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Once you notice the upcoming huge increase in JP needed to gain job level is when you should switch around. Note that gaining job levels also increase your stats while in that class, so you'll be a bit weaker. Jumping around in jobs is recommended, so that you can pick up many skills and abilities and experiment.

And there are like, 1-2 point of stat differences between characters. Not worth caring about.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Fully upgraded Norende weapon/armor shops can carry you through until you get item chests in the endgame, if you have enough villagers or are playing slowly enough to get there before you get to Chapter 5ish.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Harrow posted:

Well that's the dumbest possible way to handle it.

Given that there are apparently new bosses and sidequests that seems like a missed opportunity to me.

He gives her a bit of extra dialogue. You might recall our heroes have a solemn moment of reflection about Aerith with Bugenhagen and then head to the Forgotten Capital where Cloud also reflects on her death. Be awkward in the mod because...ya know, she's not dead. I think she also has a couple lines after Sephiroth dies about Holy and stuff.

This was when I played the mod two years ago, though. He's made some pretty significant alterations to the script in this latest version. He told me he was up to Wutai when I asked him several weeks ago.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Fully upgraded Norende weapon/armor shops can carry you through until you get item chests in the endgame, if you have enough villagers or are playing slowly enough to get there before you get to Chapter 5ish.

I'm to to 11 or 12 villagers I think? I've upgraded the shops and few times already and the hats and knuckles from them are better than any shop so far. I'll probably dump all my villagers on one of the 99 hrs expansions before bed tonight and leave it on sleep mode and keep upgrading shops while I play.

Took job changing advice and switched my monk to a thief and knight to a spell fencer. The thief's damage output is so much less than I'm used to but spell fencer with 2 handed is still pretty decent.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A Thief with a bow, early-ish game, is basically the easiest and best damage you'll find at that point.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I don't like the idea of Serge being a silent protagonist in that game. It worked for Trigger because you had a party of interesting and memorable characters to go along with the plot. Cross just had a mess of characters all with the same precanned dialogue with accent filters. I don't like it when most your party has no characterization. Didnt like that about DQ9 either.

That was the rub I had with it that I was speaking to earlier. There are plenty of interesting characters and it ever-so-lightly touches on many of them, but only the tiniest handful are given time to have more of a character than what accent filter the dialogue was fed through. I think it would have worked out much better if they had a smaller, better developed party.

Just as long as Zoah makes it in, of course. And yeah, it has one of the best soundtracks on the PS1.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Terper posted:

A Thief with a bow, early-ish game, is basically the easiest and best damage you'll find at that point.

Just did this and the damage is a bit better. Is steal worth abusing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My feeling is that rather than a huge party, CC should have had a small party who is *defined by being hosed by time/space.* Lenna joins your party because she's from an alternate dimension where her childhood friend died and now he's shown up alive and her life is different. Glenn has a weird hosed up family life spread across two dimensions which climaxes in him dual-wielding legendary swords due to space-time being hosed. Kid and Serge are natural. That sort of thing. Make the party's binding be the fact they're all dealing with timey-wimey side effects.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That would have been pretty cool, actually. I'm not sure who else is time-hosed in one way or another but I'm sure there are a few more. Then you'd end up with a manageable party size full of people who all have a real stake in being there.

Unrelated: Finally got around to watching the SGDQ 2016 FF6 run and oh man is that a fun run at the end. The last 30 minutes or so is just an exquisite carnival of glitches.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 15, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

so, the guy who thinks chrono cross has a mostly negative reception

in what universe was that

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

The one where Serge drowned?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The best thing to come from Chrono Cross is the hilarity when people try to make sense out of the dumbest storyline in games. Found this a few weeks back searching for something and it made me laugh.

Someone wanted to know why a fisherman had a sword of holy dragons.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415223&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=526

Madmarker posted:

FinalGamer posted:

Holy poo poo I have to know what purpose he has in the story now I mean my god

Why does a fisherman have a loving SWORD OF HOLY DRAGONS and is about to murder the poo poo out of you with this beautiful swelling string accompaniment?!

Ok where to start, After the Cat Demon God Computer of Time switches bodies with you, or before the Daughter/Clone of a Princess of a Fallen Magic Kingdom leaves her Space Bug merged Mother/Clone, develops an Australian accent and runs away from the Cat Demon God Computer of Time as he/she destroys her orphanage with his French Dragon/Clown assistant.

KirbyKhan posted:

He is your dad's fishing buddy. They went on an ~adventure~ and he got stuck in a timeless postapocolypse out in the middle of the ocean. Your ~adventure~ takes you to Uncle Miguel and he kicks the poo poo outta you for old times sake. Still loves ya little buddy, gosh you've grown up so much in 10 years.

D1Sergo posted:

Miguel gets trapped in Chronopolis after baby Serge touches the Frozen Flame and locks FATE out of accessing the flame. Serge escapes, but FATE turns around and forces Miguel to guard the Flame. Miguel is Serge's dad's buddy, but he can't stop himself from turning on the powers that FATE has imbued him with and defending the Frozen Flame from Serge and co. FATE is what originally split the Dragon God into elemental pieces, so presumably it gave Miguel some "Holy Dragon" power straight from the tap.

Schwartzcough posted:

A time-traveling pan-dimensional computer from the future, which has been manipulating mankind for millions of years using save points, catches a fisherman and forces him to guard the chipped tooth of a space parasite which grants supreme power, while turning the fisherman's friend into a cat because reasons. Unfortunately, space-time shat out a dead and frozen future timeline all over the island where the fisherman was stuck, causing ghosts of children from the past to make Chrono Trigger fans flip their poo poo.

FeyerbrandX posted:

So the son of Man-cat gets sucked into a parallel universe to meet an Australian clone of a character from Trigger who is, let's be honest here, most famous for her theme music and its 500 thousand remixes. Man-cat, who also the future computer and serving the future computer takes over his son's body so that he can get around the biometric scanner that IDed him because the power went out, and security systems work that way. And because this is a jRPG, the Computer Man-Cat isn't the final boss, but his sidekick is, who is the final (moon) dragon who fuses into Dragon Voltron with the other color-coded dragons. But then Dragon Voltron is taken over by the dead space tick and Remix girl and... something? Eventual heat death of the universe, but not imminent doom. Only by the power of ROCK (or new age synth music) can you defeat the thing. Oh yes, and everyone loving hates humans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

The one that existed?

Chrono Cross did in fact have a fairly negative response. It got good reviews because, especially at that time frame, Square games got good reviews for existing and because it had phenomenal graphics and soundtrack, and it sold well based off both those factors, but the end result was a largely 'meh' to straight-negative response. It wasn't a negative response in the "everyone hates it and brings it up as an example of Hitler in Gaming" response. It was that it ended up being either forgotten or remembered largely for its flaws instead of it strengths.It's part of the reason the franchise never continued even during the big JRPG boom.

It isn't one of those heavily loathed games but it ended up being sort of forgotten except by people who either really like it or really hate it. It should be noted that any numbers I can find suggest that Chrono Cross sold significantly worse than Chrono Trigger did and in fact was outperformed by games like Parasite Eve. Those numbers are hard to confirm the accuracy of due to age but at least in Japan it did significantly more poorly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 15, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Guys if Final Fantasy 15 ends with Noctis climbing slowly and painfully out of a pile of rubble after a hard final boss fight (that will get nerfed in future patches) and the sky ahead of him clears up and the sun starts to shine in while it rains down around him and then an instrumental vesion of Have You Ever Seen the Rain starts playing this'll be the third RPG I've ever cried at because I loving LOVE CCR.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's the first Gologle post I've ever agreed with

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ImpAtom posted:

The one that existed?

Chrono Cross did in fact have a fairly negative response. It got good reviews because, especially at that time frame, Square games got good reviews for existing and because it had phenomenal graphics and soundtrack, and it sold well based off both those factors, but the end result was a largely 'meh' to straight-negative response.

I dunno, seems like a lot of people in this forum still like Chrono Cross (myself included), and have since it came out. If you can get over the CT connections and the infodump pacing, the game is beautiful in both visuals and music, the battle system is good, it generally keeps a good pace and is easy to follow until the convoluted story dumps, and is generally fun (i.e. that thing that makes a good game). There are a lot of characters, but who cares? They're easy to ignore if you don't like them. I think it was mostly die-hard CT fans that very vocally didn't like it, but I don't think that was the general consensus.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
actually,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkYO0miVa40

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

Guys if Final Fantasy 15 ends with Noctis climbing slowly and painfully out of a pile of rubble after a hard final boss fight (that will get nerfed in future patches) and the sky ahead of him clears up and the sun starts to shine in while it rains down around him and then an instrumental vesion of Have You Ever Seen the Rain starts playing this'll be the third RPG I've ever cried at because I loving LOVE CCR.

What are the other two RPGs with CCR?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
In Kindgom Hurts when da Goof not sacrificed his cartoon character life to save another cartoon character, and Xenogears when Chu-Chu appeared for the first time. And every other time Chu Chu appeared, I'm lumping them all in one because.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPjL1DIYOwo

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
corn I want you to know that I respect and enjoy you, even though I'll be honest, I can't tell you from that other guy who's name is basically identical to your own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I dunno, seems like a lot of people in this forum still like Chrono Cross (myself included), and have since it came out. If you can get over the CT connections and the infodump pacing, the game is beautiful in both visuals and music, the battle system is good, it generally keeps a good pace and is easy to follow until the convoluted story dumps, and is generally fun (i.e. that thing that makes a good game). There are a lot of characters, but who cares? They're easy to ignore if you don't like them. I think it was mostly die-hard CT fans that very vocally didn't like it, but I don't think that was the general consensus.

The general consensus being vocal dislike isn't really what I said though.

Chrono Cross's bigger problem is that it, for all that it was a beautiful game, didn't make a strong impression. It isn't widely loathed as a franchise-ruining disaster aside from angry CT fans but neither is it particularly popular or well-remembered. It isn't the Other M of the franchise or whatever aside from very angry CT fans. It just kind of fizzled. It sold moderately well (about middle-of-the-road for S-E's non-FF RPGs in the PS1 era from what I can see) and then just sort of drops off the planet and only really comes up in conversation about Chrono Trigger. The best comparison I can think of is that it's the Ghostbusters II to CT's Ghostbusters. Not necessary bad, just sort of veering between minor success and constant comparisons to its more successful predecessor.

There's nothing wrong with liking it (though I personally disagree its only flaw is too many character) but it really just sort of... passed through as far as general reception seems to be. I think part of that though is the characters in that there aren't really any distinctive characters in the game aside from maybe Kid, which tends to make it harder for it to stick in people's memories. Similar PS1 games like Parasite Eve or Xenogears or whatnot really carried themselves on their characters whereas CC was intentionally loose with it. As a result you have a lot more people who care about Aya Brea or Fei Fong Wong than Serge because... well, those two have personalities and Serge doesn't.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Let's examine what other games came out in 2000 in America. Yes, Chrono Cross released in 99, but if I remember right, it was a very late year end release. Anyway, motherfucking Spyro, who was the poo poo, Megaman Legends 2, James Bond, Breath of Fire, Megaman X5 (ew), roughly 10 million racing games. Chrono Cross never stood a chance.