Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Bee posted:

Okay, looking over the model ranges, I'm thinking Legion might be my favorites. Especially if I can get lots of stumpy, eyeless little guys and swarm the field in ugly-cuteness.

What kinda color schemes do you think would go well with them?

I had good luck with turquoise and light brown, and then white for metal armour. Really made for a different looking but also very draconic Legion army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

The Bee posted:

Okay, looking over the model ranges, I'm thinking Legion might be my favorites. Especially if I can get lots of stumpy, eyeless little guys and swarm the field in ugly-cuteness.

What kinda color schemes do you think would go well with them?

I think hot/cold color schemes look really cool on legion. Like a cool grayish blue for the armor plate and a strong orange for the flesh.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I think hot/cold color schemes look really cool on legion. Like a cool grayish blue for the armor plate and a strong orange for the flesh.

And then your name your Thagrosh Hot Coldman.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Khisanth Magus posted:

And then your name your Thagrosh Hot Coldman.

Convert him dunking some nerd in a wheel chair down some steps.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I wonder what they'll be doing thematically for Tristan as he graduates to full Warcaster. Right now he's an incredibly milquetoast Warcaster Man. His backstory is, "This is Warcaster Man. He is very promising and unusually good at Warcastering". That's perfectly fine for a Journeyman, but doesn't really work for a full caster.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Whats wrong with bright, well adjusted individuals in a fantasy setting?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Geisladisk posted:

I wonder what they'll be doing thematically for Tristan as he graduates to full Warcaster. Right now he's an incredibly milquetoast Warcaster Man. His backstory is, "This is Warcaster Man. He is very promising and unusually good at Warcastering". That's perfectly fine for a Journeyman, but doesn't really work for a full caster.

He can see everything but really has no means of demonstrating that to anyone, so just, just trust him, ok? Apparently he's going to be a 'jack-caster in a way that the Protectorate doesn't have right now, but that's the only hint they dropped.

Has anyone here converted a plastic Lancer to Thorn, and if so, how did it work out?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
That just means he doesn't lift like Amon does.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Gonna give his entire bg true sight

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

gannyGrabber posted:

Gonna give his entire bg true sight

That's my guess too.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

what if he gave his entire bg hifives and positive reinforcement? "oh you rolled double ones! that's ok! here, try another swing, you can do it!"

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

rantmo posted:

Play-wise Cygnar is in an amazing place right now, having benefited greatly from the transition to mk3. Painting-wise they're fun, blue's a pretty forgiving color (though you'll want to change your water and clean your brushes really frequently because blue is unforgiving on bristles and will tint the water so much that it will change every other color you use) and the 'jacks are fun and really satisfying to paint. All the infantry seems either to have a lot of fiddly detail that I hate (gun mages) or lots of mold lines that are a pain in the rear end to clean off (storm knights) but that's scarcely unique to Cygnar. Swans own, play Swans.

Don't use a pthalo blue. Ultramarine is a way less strong pigment and will be less strong when tainting other colors.

PTHALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :argh:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Felime posted:

Don't use a pthalo blue. Ultramarine is a way less strong pigment and will be less strong when tainting other colors.

PTHALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :argh:

I have no idea what any of this means.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

albany academy posted:

what if he gave his entire bg hifives and positive reinforcement? "oh you rolled double ones! that's ok! here, try another swing, you can do it!"

Feat: Self Actualizing

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rantmo posted:

I have no idea what any of this means.

It means if you're trying to mix colors to give a highlight or whatever, pthalo blue is harder to do that with, since it has more of the stuff that gives it color. Ultramarine blue (shockingly a generic color if all you know it from is GW) usually is also pretty deep in color and can be mixed more easily.

I'd also suggest going from a more bright blue like Ultramarine, if only because it gives you somewhere to shade down to before bringing the color up.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fnordcircle posted:

I now want to use this whenever I have to do a re-roll.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I'm looking to get back into this with the new edition, but the only army I've got left is CoC.

Has there been any word if they're going to be a real faction?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

rkajdi posted:

pthalo blue

Yeah, mostly it's the word "pthalo" that I'm confused about.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

WAR FOOT posted:

I'm looking to get back into this with the new edition, but the only army I've got left is CoC.

They will get some new models eventually, but they will not be a "real" faction any time soon.

They're still an amazing faction though.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

WAR FOOT posted:

Nothing other than vague stuff like "we have awesome plans"

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

fnordcircle posted:

Nothing other than vague stuff like "we have awesome plans"

Dang.

Paul Proteus posted:

They're still an amazing faction though.

Very true. I'm a sucker for 'sentient' robot factions that aren't terminator-esque. So, basically all bar Necrons.

I might pick up a new faction in the interim. Can anyone recommend a Warmahordes that pairs well? A good contrast, if I run pals through a skirmish?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I thought people might find this interesting. It's a breakdown of the players in my team event tomorrow.

quote:

WiTC list breakdown

Faction - # of players - # of unique casters
Cygnar - 8 - 10
Protectorate - 7 - 9
Khador - 9 - 8
Cryx - 3 - 6
Ret - 7 - 5
Convergence - 1 - 2
Mercs - 5 - 7
Trolls - 5 - 5
Circle - 7 - 7
Legion - 2 - 3
Skorne - 5 - 8
Minions - 2 - 3

Casters taken in 3 or more lists
Ossyan - 5
Irusk2 - 5
Madrak2 - 5
Sorscha1 - 4
Krueger2 - 4
Helynna - 4
Wurmwood - 3
Sloan - 3
Kreoss1 - 3
Kaelyssa - 3
Butcher3 - 3

73 unique casters taken across 122 lists (including alternates)

The number of Circle players surprises me. Literally every Troll player taking Madrak2, however, does not surprise me.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

rydiafan posted:

I thought people might find this interesting. It's a breakdown of the players in my team event tomorrow.

The number of Circle players surprises me. Literally every Troll player taking Madrak2, however, does not surprise me.

I'm guessing a lot of those Circle with be a Baldur with Woldwrath and Wurmwood for their 2 casters.

5 Skorne though, not a horrible showing for them considering that the internet agrees they are the worst faction ever and might as well have been removed with mk3.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It pleases me that Cryx and Legion aren't played constantly in tournaments anymore

Merry Cryxmas, jerks

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

WAR FOOT posted:

Very true. I'm a sucker for 'sentient' robot factions that aren't terminator-esque. So, basically all bar Necrons.

I might pick up a new faction in the interim. Can anyone recommend a Warmahordes that pairs well? A good contrast, if I run pals through a skirmish?

Do you want a Hordes faction so you can screw around with the fury mechanic? I know CoC functions a little differently than the rest of WarMachine factions but they still use focus. Do any of the MKIII starter boxes catch your eye?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Khisanth Magus posted:

5 Skorne though, not a horrible showing for them considering that the internet agrees they are the worst faction ever and might as well have been removed with mk3.

And 8 Unique casters. I figured Skorne would lean on Rasheth a lot but he is not even on that list.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

6 unique Cryx casters. What a world we live in.

I'd still bring 30 bane knights though.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

fnordcircle posted:

Feat: Fire Walking (but like, the Tony Robbins kind)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

GoodBee posted:

Do you want a Hordes faction so you can screw around with the fury mechanic? I know CoC functions a little differently than the rest of WarMachine factions but they still use focus. Do any of the MKIII starter boxes catch your eye?

Pretty much the only aesthetic I'm not huge on is Trollbloods. I was thinking if I was teaching someone the basics I'd just run the CoC with standard focus rules, regardless. Induction seems needlessly complex for a first time.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I've been talking with one of my friends about the 75 pt size that people are trying out. He feels like it's just a touch too limited for running support in addition to infantry and warstuff. Anyone else think we might see the community moving up a bit, to maybe 85 or so?

WAR FOOT posted:

Pretty much the only aesthetic I'm not huge on is Trollbloods. I was thinking if I was teaching someone the basics I'd just run the CoC with standard focus rules, regardless. Induction seems needlessly complex for a first time.

You ask for a contrast, so I guess I'd ask: how do you play your CoC? Is it a swarm of warjacks with induction waterfalling, or the multiwound troops, or the single-wounder swarms? Or a mix?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I tended to use the Iron Mother with a buncha Vectors and servitors a lot, and Synth with... A lot of vectors.

Smashing robots into things is fun?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

WAR FOOT posted:

If you get someone else interested, you could go in together on one of two player starters. They're going to be Cryx/Cygnar and Trolls/Skorne.

Link to PP Forums

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

rantmo posted:

Yeah, mostly it's the word "pthalo" that I'm confused about.

Shortened from pthalocyanine, the chemical used to give it its bright blue color

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm guessing a lot of those Circle with be a Baldur with Woldwrath and Wurmwood for their 2 casters.

Full lists are here, if you want them: http://ringdevc.w14.wh-2.com/atc/StaticEvents/WiTC%20Year%201teams.html

Pyrolocutus posted:

I've been talking with one of my friends about the 75 pt size that people are trying out. He feels like it's just a touch too limited for running support in addition to infantry and warstuff. Anyone else think we might see the community moving up a bit, to maybe 85 or so?

I think the limitation is a feature, not a bug. If you can fit everything there's no interesting decisions to make in list building.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

rydiafan posted:

Full lists are here, if you want them: http://ringdevc.w14.wh-2.com/atc/StaticEvents/WiTC%20Year%201teams.html

I think the limitation is a feature, not a bug. If you can fit everything there's no interesting decisions to make in list building.

It does feel like there's basically two Cephalyx lists because of it though, which is a bit fart, but I guess that's more a failure of the faction.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

rydiafan posted:

I know the trolls from Felix's basement. They're part of the Chicago meta I used to play in before moving. Chad is the pg, and his tanith list is crazy. So many attacks and a silly assassination vector. Really curious to see how that does.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

rydiafan posted:

Huh, not a single Baldur + WW list that I can see.

I'm amused by the horde of Alten Ashleys that are going to be at the tournament though! Nothing says balanced like how often he is in lists.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Khisanth Magus posted:

Huh, not a single Baldur + WW list that I can see.

I'm amused by the horde of Alten Ashleys that are going to be at the tournament though! Nothing says balanced like how often he is in lists.

Losing shield guard on the lights crippled wold lists. Idrians kill him and very little can screen effectively. Any gun line is bad news for baldur/brad.

And Alten Ashley is fair and 3 years of playtested.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
I doubt we're going to see a points level change, tho I feel like 80 would literally be the best of both worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Most Circle players having at least either Krueger2 or the tree is pretty much what I expected. I'm also surprised to see no Baldur, though, and I definitely wouldn't have thought someone would bring Brad except to publicly burn him.

Also, I'm happy to see Kaelyssa, Ossyan and Helynna so often, those are exactly the three Ret casters I want to play.

e: Both Minions players bring double Brigands in a list, that's, well, it's one more than I would have expected.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 15, 2016