Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I was curious if the GIFTs came before or after the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory, and to my surprise the latter term wasn't coined until 2004. I suppose I shouldn't have expected it to be quite so old as the original Exile, but I thought for sure it would go back further than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg

GodFish posted:

This is the best puzzle. I was super young when I first played this and it stumped me for ages. I was going around and around talking to the spiders to try and figure out what Spider's name was. Eventually my Dad suggested I look at with the other Spiders were named.

The roaches are a delightful counterpoint to all the spiders named Spider.

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...
Ah, the Amana... you can basically sum up the base theory they have as "Mages are bad because they are Mages." They try to support this with ideas that seem to have little presentation to their own ideals, and use big fancy words to get the simple masses to join their ranks. Now, if they have some actual stand-alone proof, like "Our own nobly defended against a mage summoning demons and spouting quickfire everywhere, and the village is safe thanks to us!" or something to that effect, I might be more inclined to actually care on what they claim. If simply being a mage made you more inclined to being crazy/corrupt with power, then I'd be more willing to believe them. Unfortunately for them, that isn't the case, and like several people have addressed prior to myself, blame the caster, not the spell. I think it was later in the game, but I do remember some crazy clerics you fight *or I might be thinking of the Avernum games...* Who love to cast Summon Spirit and Summon Host. :shrug:

Glad to see the Exile version being played, never really like the Avernum versions. Just felt strange how different it was. I really wish I had actually beaten Exile 3 though, only got about halfway though Plague 3 before I lost the files.

As an aside, I do remember one area [that I have no clue how I found in the first place] that I kinda wonder when Art is going to take on... I think the King of Dragons was involved?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
So....

Should I use the old Basilisk graphic or the new one for Exile 3's "Random Basilisk Count"?

'Cause I finally get to start it up!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Use the new one, definitely. I love the way it makes them look all hosed-up and deformed.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

berryjon posted:

So....

Should I use the old Basilisk graphic or the new one for Exile 3's "Random Basilisk Count"?

'Cause I finally get to start it up!

New one. No question.

The fact that they at least are a different color now (rather than looking identical to the common Giant Lizard and Mutant Lizard) makes them way less of a pain in E3 than previously, because you don't have the "oh crud, failed to realize that was a Basilisk" moment.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
You know what's probably really good at taking care of basilisks in most cases? Summoning spells. Unless there's one right behind a door or something.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 20a – The Happy, Friendly Roaches and the Filth Factory

Just putting this up front, this update is too long to fit into a single post for Something Awful, so I'm dividing it into two.

“This cannot possible be worse than the Spiders.”

“Ah, so you're talking, and not simply muttering mantras which involve sterilizing large sections of the continent?”

“I can do both, yes.”

“So, Happy and Friendly Cockroaches. I wonder what they're like.”

“Probably happy and friendly.”

“As opposed to friendly and happy?”

“I have a bad feeling about this. How much contact have the Spiders and the Roaches had?”

:barf:

“You alright?”

“I will recover.”

“Hey there!”

“oh no.”

A huge cockroach, about five feet long, stands guard here. It watches you closely, it's antennae twitching.

“Um, hello. I'm Delilah. Spider – Chief Spider told us you were here.”

"I'm Gregor!" it says, in a cheery happy voice. It sound a lot like one of the friendly spiders. The voice is a lot more disturbing coming from a roach.

:cry:

“I take it back! I take it all back!”

“So, um, what are you?”

"I'm a guard Roach!"

“A guard? But it's very hard to find you in the first place.”

Its antenna twitch excitedly. "Yeah! Any mean humans or Spiders come in here, I give 'em a big bite!"

“Wait, there are hostile giant spiders as well as bad humans?”

"Most humans and big spiders aren't neat and cute, like you. They try to eat or stab us, rather than talk and be friendly!"

“I suppose you could call us friendly.”

"You're nice! I like you!" It hops up and down happily. “Come on in!”

“I am beginning to see where you're coming from.”

“How do they jump like that?”

“Why am I the one talking to them?!?” :cry:

“I will find out who is responsible for this, and my retribution on them will shake the world. The heavens will falter, and the whole of history will be scarred with the message do not do this thing.”

“Underselling yourself?”

“Hi! Come in!”

This roach is prancing back and forth, practising bites and lunges. Sometime it jumps too hard and falls over. It stops when it sees you.

“Hello?”

"I'm Spider Slayer," it says proudly.

“That's a very descriptive name. Surely not all the spiders are bad?”

"I'm practicing to defend our hunters from mean spiders!"

"They attack sometimes when we're out hunting. We work really hard to collect our filth!"

“I'm sorry – you collect filth? Why?”

It points an antenna at the walls of trash around you. "It's tough to find good filth. Want some?" You decline. "We carried all this here, bit by bit, blob by blob. It's hard work. And all we want is to be loved!"

The strain is obvious. “No. One. Wants. To. Love. You? Can't understand why.”

"Nobody likes us. It hurts our feelings. All we want is to get along with you and take your filth."

“Yeah... look, we have places to be. Have a nice day.”

“Bye!”

“Sorry, it's these walls – they're made of refuse!”

“Yeah, setting a fire in here could be a ... bad ... idea.”

“Wow, I could hear the unnecessary emphasis on the word.”

You see a perky cockroach, waving its forelegs and antennae about and mumbling things in its high-pitched voice. It stops, embarrassed, when it sees you.

“Hello there.”

"I'm Crud Muncher!"

“Yes. Very interesting. What are you doing?”

"I'm trying to learn how to cast magic spells!" it says cheerfully.

:stonk:Magic?”

"Yeah! I want to know how to throw lots of fire! And how to magically make filth!"

“You want to learn how to make fire. In here.”

"Yeah, like those mean humans do. If I could cast spells, my babies would be safe."

“You have ... babies?”

It turns, and you see that its a she, and that she has a huge egg sac. "I'm expecting fourty or so, and I want them to grow up safe and strong!"

“Thank you for your time. Good luck with that.”

“...”

“I have discovered knowledge I never wished I knew.”

“Welcome to my world. Population: the sane.”

“But what's so special about being the same?”

:sigh:

“Curious. There's some sort of resin that's holding all this together.”

“I don't know if that's actually a resin.”

“It's what I choose to believe.”

The next roach is on the right, the one after is above, on the other side of the wall.

You see a giant roach, busily poking at one of the tall walls of piled trash and goo. It bounces over to you when it sees you. "I'm Doom Bringer," it says in a happy voice. It waves its antennae at you.

“Doom Bringer? Well, I think I can guess your job.”

"I'm eating. But enough about me. You're cute!"

“... cute?”

"Aren't my feeler's pretty?"

“... feelers?”

"Yeah! I work hard on them." It moves them around delicately. "Are you busy?"\

“Yes. Quite busy. Very much so.”

It sighs. "You're probably going to the Filth Factory, and won't hang around, huh?" This seems to sadden it.

“You know about the factory?”

"Yeah, Filth Spreader keeps going on about it. I forget what it was like though."

“Thank you for your information. We'll be going now.”

“I'll take the next one.”

“Please do.”

“Hey there.”

This huge cockroach stops gobbling down disgusting grayish material, and turns to speak with you.

“Oh gods you're right that's not resin.”

“Told you so.”

"I'm Filth Spreader," it says happily, poking some slime with a leg and spreading it around to emphasize the point.

“And that's what you do.”

"I'm eating, silly!"

“And what is it that you eat?”

"We smart roaches have to eat lots more if we're goin' to stay smart. That's one the neat things we figured out in the Filth Factory."

“Yes. We've heard about the Factory. What can you tell us about it?”

"Yeah, that's where most of the big roaches are born. Most of us are dumb, but some of us were born smart. We don't know why. We didn't want to get killed by humans, so we came to hide here. We remember were the factory is though, we might return someday!"

“Do you remember where it is?”

"Would you like to know where it's located? You're so nice, I know you wouldn't do anything mean there!"

:geno:

“Yes. No harm at all. The location?”

"It's hidden real good. There's a wall blocking the entry that's not really there. You can walk through it! It's north of the biggest human town, and south of a small one, in the big hills. It's really neat! I hope you like it!"

“I think we will.”

“Have a nice day!”

“You too.”

“We have confirmation of the Factory's location. We should head there, verify, then return to Purgatos for his device.”

“Sure. Once we find our way out of here.”

“I don't think this is it.”

This map exists in case you can't find Filth Spreader – it also shows you where the Factory is. Roughly.

:barf: “We should go.”

“Bye!”

“Bye.”

“Ah! Fresh air!”

“Look, if you're that bad here, then this Factory promises to be just as bad, or worse.”

“No! I will not shirk my duties! You chose me for this mission, and it is one that needs to be accomplished, regardless of the personal cost!”

“Besides, the rest of us can keep you hale and whole.”

“I don't like this.”

“It is my choice. Now, let us be off!”

“Here we are again. I wonder if the guards have been replaced yet.”

“Guess not. Niarl? Matthias? Any luck?”

“Yes. Over here.”

“Good enough for me. Let's head back to Purgatos.”

Not pictured: Me walking to the far end of Bigail. Seriously, Purgatos and the Factory are as far away from each other as they can be, and still be on the same island.

“We found the Filth Factory. The device you promised us?”

“Yes, I see it clearly in your mind's eye. That is the place!” Purgatos hands you a reddish egg-shaped crystal. "It's called a Pheonix Egg, a very rare artifact. Take it to the lowest, most central level of the factory, break it, and run. Fast. And good luck to you."

“Wait. A Pheonix Egg?”

“Yes?”

“I love you. You know exactly what I was thinking.”

“Be that as it may, you still need to get in there and set it in a spot to do the most damage.”

“Yeah, yeah. Not the first place I've wrecked with one of these, and it won't be the last.”

On the way back...

“Leave it. We don't have a use for it.”

“Alright. Let's do some damage.”

“Ah, that explains the one-way filter. We entered through the passage meant to be entered, and not through the egress point for the new roaches.”

“This is not like the Slime Pit. This was a lot longer in the construction and it looks ... used.”

“And no easy way down.”

“No one I know.”

“Might as well take these door clockwise, and see where they go.”

“A place to create filth? Disgusting!”

“I agree!”

“I did magic!” :science:

Not a threat, except they can easily give you Major Poisoning if you're not careful.

“This place has the hint of magic to it. Not a lot, but it's there.”

“On it.”

“Wonder what's in these...?”

“Not a lot.”

“Ah! And here I was, worried that we would only be fighting animate plants on our way in.” :black101:

“Curious. An observation room?”

Yes, it is. What's neat is that when I get around to Magic Mapping the place, you'll see that the middle of the first floor is in fact a scaled down version of the second floor, indicating that what we're in is a ring of locations around a much larger central facility. Guess where we need to go?

“~Stabbing Roaches all day long~ ~all day long~ ~all day long~”

“That's fun! Can I sing too?”

“Why not? It's not like we're involving stealth at any point.”

“~stabbing roaches all day long~”

“~smashing roaches all day long~”

“Did we miss chamber two?”

“Could be around the other side. We know from the observation deck that there is a ring around the central area. It could be to the south.”

“I'm improving!”

“Yes. Yes you are.”

“We'll come back here after we sweep the rest of the area. No sense in having unpleasant surprises behind us.”

“Hah! Roach got trapped on a rune. It'll starve to death.”

“What is Effluvium? Is that an element?”

It's a fancy word for fluids with solid pieces in them.

“Like stew! I'm hungry.”

“No. Just. No.”

“I suppose these things are it.”

“Random junk.”

“Sure does stink though. Be glad to get out of this.”

“Another reduced access point.”

“Want to bet this is chamber number 2?”

Yes, I know what the name of the room is on the screenshot – Vogel contradicts himself shortly.

“Eeek!”

“GETITOFF!GETITOFF!”

“Calm down!”

“There has to be a magic to get rid of that stuff!”

“If there is, none of us know it.”

“I don't know. This place feels like a Number three to me.”

“You get that feeling too?”

“Where are all these slimes coming from?”

“Byproduct of the whole mess, I would assume.”

:barf: “Oh gods below and above....”

“Not going in there. At all. Ever.”

“It's FILTH! How does it need refining?”

“Maybe to add the magic to it to cause the roaches to grow?”

“... Perhaps.”

“And we're back where we started.”

“Not quite.”

“Yeah, if that thing catches fire, this whole place goes up.”

“You think the Egg will do it?”

“Oh, I know the egg will do it.”

“Someone left a book here.”

“This looks well read. Though I suppose it's because the people here were reading it while laughing, and not taking notes.”

“We're not completely done yet. There are some other side passages we haven't checked yet.”

“Reseeder? What does that mean?”

“It means there are roaches back here, rather than what's supposed to be here.”

... That didn't happen. Also, I reloaded my game, went outside and camped to restore my HP/SP before delving back in.

“Of course, most of this is quite useless. And this book is another copy of the one we found in the observation chamber.”

“This looks like one of those things that makes a whole lot of sense.”

“Leave it alone. We're not sick, and I doubt this little thing could purge the whole place.”

“I agree. The amount of magic in this would be sufficient for a small group, and not the whole island, let alone this facility.”

:barf: “Ugh, and these roaches are infected as well.”

:catholic: “We'll leave them be for now.”

“Who, in their right mind, would put their living quarters behind a filth pit?”

“People who are not worried about infection, poison or harm.”

“Hey, I hear something up ahead! A hiss!”

“I hear it too – from the farthest room on the right.”

“Oh gently caress me.”

Random Basilisk Count posted:

Well, well! I haven't missed you at all, you vile monstrosities. With your instant death/petrification attacks, your random showing up out of nowhere... It's time to start the count again. Remember, Exile 2 had... what... twenty or so of the things just hanging around random corners of the game?

I do not miss save scumming you guys at all either.

“That was a Basilisk!”

“What was it doing here?”

“And are there more of the damned things?”

“Hold on! Let me read the sign first!”

“...”

“No, just a trap for the unwary.”

“Now that imminent death has been averted, I found something.”

“Not a lot.”

“And I recall one more spot, over near the control room with a closed door.”

“I'm making the executive decision to check out the control room first, before going into a place called 'Flow Channel'.”

“Agreed.”

“Oh come on!”

“Safety feature?”

“Or security.”

“That it's asking indicates that the control room is empty.”

“Alright, I'll go in then.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah. I'm very self-sufficient, and can handle most things thrown in my way. Except for locked doors.”

“Alright, but don't over extend yourself.”

“Well, things could be worse. There could be a vengeful Vahnatai demanding his due down here.”

“Almost, but not quite.”

Ghouls are not a threat to Art once she casts blessing.

“Typical defences. Who would that stop, really?”

“Curse you locked door!”

“Niarl, locked door ahead. I cleaned out the monsters, so take care of it.”

“On it.”

:science:

“Huh.”

“How did you get in here in the first place? I think I'll send Art in to deal with you.”

“Oh gee, thanks.”

“Book in the corner there, globe of something or other – I think it's a Mist Globe.”

“Potion of unknown providence. Let's go read.”

“Now hold on – are Roaches considered evil if they are merely the end result of a process? This is a moral and ethical question best talked about later.”

“Really quiet and cold back here. Almost like home.”

“Naturally. Well, let's see what's left in the Control room.”

“Useless.”

“Close the Scavenger Gates for starters. I have no idea what that's all about, but anything to limit the movement of more monsters is a good thing. And let's halt the Slime Flow while I'm at it, anything to choke back production.”

“Time to head back.”

“I know! To the flow channel!”

“Locked!”

:science: “Not anymore!”

“Hold your breath and run!”

Safe!”

“Something we can use to get back, I think.”

“That lasted, what, two, three minutes? No way that's a long term solution.”

“Down, down down, to a place I'll burn forever.”

“Sounds like a song I once heard...”

I'm stopping the update here – the next one will be the other half of this update, and the end of the Filth Factory!

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Ah, the filth factory. Full of diseased creatures everywhere, all just waiting to drain your SP trying to curb it. You've got the first floor mostly covered, but with a couple of missed things.

First, it's funny to show off (and frustrating the first time you encounter it if you haven't saved for a while), but those Filth Refinement vats are the instant-death scenario I mentioned quite a while ago. Step on the center tile in any of them and BAM! Game over. I had to quit for two weeks after I came across that the first time because I was stupid and didn't save early or often.

Second, those Scavenger Gates are already closed by default. Pressing "release" opens breakable walls in each of the creation chambers, releasing 2-3 Shamblers in each. A Shambler is much like a Spore Beast, except:
1) They web things on hit instead of poison or disease things,
2) They have I think 2 or 3 attacks that do tons of damage,
3) They have a whopping 100 HP, making them almost boss-level monsters, especially for one-tile creatures.

Defeating them allows you to find hidden passages in the back of each holding pen that leads to chests with nice loot in them. Thank God that, unlike in Exile I and II, chests in this game don't have randomly generated loot and could actually have useful stuff.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

LuffyVeggies posted:

Ah, the filth factory. Full of diseased creatures everywhere, all just waiting to drain your SP trying to curb it. You've got the first floor mostly covered, but with a couple of missed things.

Trust me, Things Missed is going to have quite a few points to hit up. Writing the other half of the Filth Factory now.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 20b – The Filth Factory (2)

“Well, isn't this cozy.”

“Clean water at least. I need to wash out my mouth, thank you.”

“Go right ahead.”

“Dissection? Ewww. I didn't like that class in training.”

“Yet, it was necessary. You passed, right?”

“Just confirming that it wasn't charged or ready to use.”

“That was still stupid of you. You have to assume these things are primed and ready at all times.”

“Conveniently placed levers.”

“Do not activate the dissection one, please.”

“I'm not touching any of these until we know what they do.”

“I don't think I can dig my way through this.”

“I don't think anyone can.”

“Hey, found the broom closet!”

“See!”

“Bronwyn – I don't think those are brooms.”

“I don't know, they do seem to have bristles on the bottoms.”

“And they will probably do a better job than a broom when dealing with the filth.”

“Probably self guiding too.”

“Just shut up. All of you.”

“Come on, let's find a way further in.”

“Well, that's not good.”

“Gathering samples? That may be useful.”

“Or it could be extremely lax in methodology, and just a dump bypass for the filth.”

“I see covers to all the pipes. Think I should close them?”

“Hold on, let me think here. I may have a plan.”

“Is it a good one?”

“Perhaps. Bronwyn, close the pipes.”

“As I thought – sealed so nothing can leak through. Now, what will happen if we activate the sample feeder from the other room?”

“Nothing?”

“Intelligent design would suggest some sort of overflow or over-pressure diversion system be in place.”

“And yet, it seems to me this location was built around the idea that the people who worked here would know what they were doing. Why would they try to wreck the devices?”

“Accidents happen.”

“No, I don't think so. These people put their barracks behind an artificial swamp. The more I think about it, the more I think we can cause some damage here, through the pipes. Perhaps shake something loose here or back on the main floor.”

“We don't have a better plan at the moment. No hidden passages or doors at this point.”

“Pulling the switch!”

“That was anti-climactic.”

“Um... guys?”

“I was not expecting this! Back to the sample room!”

“Um... wow. I did not expect that.”

“This has to get us closer to our goal.”

“It doesn't go far – only a few hundred meters at most. I'm surprised it didn't get destroyed or damaged in the explosion.”

“Why are you looking at me like that? It was just some pipes! I bet the wall was weakened before that anyway.”

“Stepping in.”

“No buildings or filth.”

“An amazing change of pace, that's for sure.”

“But do we go north or east first?”

“East.”

“Any particular reason?”

“No.”

“And here's the other end of one of those access points, which indicates we're going in the right direction.”

“Observation ports?”

“That is one big mound of trash.”

“Another portal.”

“And a roach. I think it got out somehow. Maybe we can get in?”

“I think this leads back to the cleaning slash sampling slash dissection room.”

“And if my mapping skills are as awesome as they are, then we're right by that little area now!”

“Another return portal, it seems to be totally opposite from the one we came in.”

“Another blocked off access.”

“This, however, is new.”

“Did you cause this when you exploded everything?”

“No, I can't take credit for this. Very opportune though. What caused the quake though? I wasn't aware this island had any vulcanism or tectonic action.”

“Before we go further, let's finish circling around, in case we find something interesting.”

“Not interesting.”

“Not interesting.”

“Back to the crack!”

“The source of the shear was over here. Curious, I'm not seeing any natural cause...”

“Long shot here, but could this be related to the person who told Purgatos about us?”

“Perhaps. But if so, why not finish the job?”

“They may not have had the ability to do so?”

“It seems that river we shut down to get here is back to full power. And I'm not going to try and cross that.”

:barf: “We need to clean this place soon. My constitution can't take much more of this.”

“Right.”

“More roaches! And is that a ramp?”

:flame:

“HEY!”

“Sorry! I thought you were clear!”

“I see. This is the exit point for the roaches when they leave the nest. We saw this coming in.”

“Have to destroy this on the way out as well.”

“Added to the list. Hrm. Note to self – start a list.”

“The Roaches need more food?”

“Might as well check it out.”

:kimchi: “PUPPIES!”

“WHAT.”

“Oh no, these things were being kept as food?”

“It appears that way.”

“They are irredeemably evil and must be purged from existence.”

Who would want to hurt cute little puppies like this?!?!

“On the other hand, zombies can get burned.”

“And here's the other side of that river of filth.”

“So, what now?”

“We check this out.”

“~stabbing roaches~”

“Wait a minute...”

“Oh no. I think I know what happened.”

“That's a Vahnatai body and weapon.”

“The stranger must have been one of them, and they were investigating as well. They couldn't finish the job, so they arranged for us to.”

“That's ascribing a lot of agency onto them.”

“It doesn't matter. I'll tell Rentar-Ihrno when we see her next.”

“The weapon can use a good clean, but it looks serviceable still.”

“They won't mind if you pick it up.”

“{Rest now, your job will be done.}”

“I'm confused. Where did this statue come from? I can't tell what it is or was.”

“The entrance to the central pit is on the other side. We should go there now.”

“Hold on, we're almost there. Set this on fire, and the entire thing goes up.”

“Hopefully not with us in it.”

“CHARGE!”

I'm almost out of SP, so I decide to bless the three front fighters, and save the rest for dealing with the inevitable Diseases and Poisons.

:black101:

“Almost there.”

“Is there no end to them?”

“I think they're coming out of the walls at this point!”

“The stench is becoming unbearable!”

“Here!”

“Yes, this is the place.”

“Throw it in!”

“Wait, what is it supposed to do again?”

“That is a very good question.”

“You'll see...”

“Ah, glorious Quickfire.”

“RUN AWAY!”

“What are you guys panicking over? Yes, things are burning, but it'll still take a few moments for the pressure to build up to explosive levels.”

“Just keep running!”

“Pft. You guys act like you've never casually strolled out of a place before, having lit it aflame, and waiting for a ground shaking explosion.”

“Well, I suppose they are new people. I wonder if I can get 'learn to anticipate explosions' into the Unspecified services training course?”

“And that should be that.”

“wow”

“There is no going back in there. The ground has slumped from the cavern filling in.”

“I'm very glad that's over. We can report back victory to the Mayor and to Anaximander.”

“We haven't been back there in...” She starts counting on her fingers, “wait. We arrived at Port Townsend only a week ago! We explored the island, located the factory, talked to drat near everyone, blew up the factory, and are going to collect our reward, and it's only been SEVEN DAYS?”

“Sounds about right.”

“How could they not resolve this themselves? It's an island! There's only so many options available for people to investigate!”

I mentioned in the thread that if you knew what you were doing it was fully possible to land on Bigail and then destroy the Filth Factory in under three days. I stand by that statement with proof. Now, this was the last 'easy' quest, and from here on out, they will be more intensive.

“Well, dust yourselves off. We need to head back to Shayder. Then back to Emergence to report in. I'm certain Anaximander will just look at us and be completely not surprised.”

“Actually, I think showing up still covered in dust and burning refuse will lend credence to our story.”

“I don't want to be burning all the way back to Shayder!”

“All hail the conquering heroes!”

“Well? What have you to report?”

“Don't worry. I'll make certain to rub this in their faces.”

“I would rather you not. I have to live with them, you see.”

“As you wish.”

“Still, your reports will be filed. With Krizan and Bigail secured, I would – if you plan to keep working like this – suggest you go east from Krizsan. I have vague reports of Giants and Troglodytes in the region, both species of which should have been exterminated or Exiled years ago. If you can somehow assist in resolving that situation, then with the southern coast clear, we can begin to mount proper military designs to move north, with Blackcrag moving south.”

“Your suggestion will be taken under advisement, Mayor.”

“Good. Now, go get a bath. You stink and look like you walked through the fire and flames.”

“We wouldn't have, if Art wasn't taking her time.”

“Look, when you get to my age, you take all the fun you can get.”

“One problem though.”

“What would that be?”

“In our rush to eliminate the Factory, we did not find any evidence to determine who built it. It obviously was not a one person job.”

“poo poo!”

At this point, I'm cursing myself for not getting the Evidence. So I cheat. I make another save, reveal the Factory, and charge in again to get it.

“I found something!”

“What are you talking about?”

“I found Dragon Scales!”

“Yeah. Right. The only known dragons are in hiding. And that facility was not built for one of their size.”

“No! I totally did! While you were enjoying tossing the egg in, I found this!”

“It was right there! So I picked the up, and now we have them!”

“... We need to get back to Fort Emergence with this.”

“Seriously? They're scales. They could have come from anywhere!”

“How about we get clean first? Rest? Relax? Think with clearer heads in the morning. We can figure out where that came from later.”

“I'm with Delilah here. To the Inn.”

“Very well.”

berryjon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 23, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I was all set to tell you "um, you missed the dragon scales", but you had it well in hand. :v: They are very easy to miss, since you're liable to use the Phoenix Egg as soon as you find the center, and after that point there's no time to explore further. And unlike with the Slime Pit, you can't come back to the Filth Factory once it's been blown up.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also it makes sense. No one would expect a Dragon to come up with a Filth Factory despite it being the perfect apocalyptic ploy for them.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Randomness:
>"Purgato" is Latin for "cleanse" (or purge). Very appropriate for what you end up doing! :eng101:
>Typo patrol says that Phoenix is misspelled twice in the Art/Purgatos conversation.
>As TooMuchAbstraction noted, the dragon scales are really awkwardly placed. You didn't show the map, but the lower level is basically a set of concentric circles/rings, with the Egg drop at the center and the scales on the southern half of one of the rings - so by going north around the ring rather than south and then retracing your steps while fleeing, you can actually go in such a way that you never even see the "special" floor tile. Can't remember if this got revised in A3 or not to force you to get the clue before nuking the place.

berryjon posted:

Trust me, Things Missed is going to have quite a few points to hit up. Writing the other half of the Filth Factory now.

Here's a few more, hidden behind spoiler tags just in case:

1.) You can activate the Dissection Rune and use it. It goes more or less how you'd expect.
2.) You can release the Cleaning Crew of plants on floor 2 as well. Can't remember if there's any hidden rooms, but since you've got great positioning thanks to the doors, it's easy XP. You can pick them off with spells/arrows through the closed gates first if you'd like too.
3.) On the first floor, there is a subtle hint of evidence - but it requires you to have paid close attention in the other Exile games. I can't say anything else without blowing the surprise, but I'll remind you about it later.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 20, 2016

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016

MagusofStars posted:

Here's a few more, hidden behind spoiler tags just in case:

Oh, there's a couple more:

1) Much like the Slime Pit, there's a small experimentation room you can get some more loot/alchemy stuff out of. However, this generally isn't worth it because a) it'll take 3/4 of all of your food supply just to check it out once, and b) there are two invisible guardians protecting the rooms.
2) There's ANOTHER hidden passage with a bunch of "emergency supplies" available, including one of the first non-random crossbows you can get your hands on, and a bunch of cash.

Mr VacBob
Aug 27, 2003
Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea

berryjon posted:

“This looks well read. Though I suppose it's because the people here were reading it while laughing, and not taking notes.”

I think this one's a reference to a 1996 game called Bad Mojo, where you were turned into a cockroach.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Did, did Art leave those poor dogs to die in a fire after Blue was obviously so taken with them? Or did I miss something?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Did, did Art leave those poor dogs to die in a fire after Blue was obviously so taken with them? Or did I miss something?

No, of course not. Blue clearly grabbed them both on the way out and they're now safe and sound on a farm just outside Sharimik.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Krumbsthumbs posted:

You can't save them and if you leave the door open they'll wander and eventually get eaten by a spawning roach anyways.

Uh, I meant to say, they're on a farm now where they can play and be happy with all sorts of other doggies.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

they're now safe and sound on a farm just outside Sharimik.
"You get two meat tokens. Not related. Just, you know, for balance reasons."

berryjon
May 30, 2011

That is completely correct.

The doggies were saved.

They most certainly were not killed by roaches while Art and company went off to burn everything to the ground. :geno:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Gameplay-wise, as long as you close the door, they should be fine, since Quickfire (and roaches) can't go through doors. I mean, the entire dungeon becomes inaccessible once you leave it after setting off the Phoenix Egg, but the doggies never actually die as such.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The next update has been recorded, and I will reveal the fate of the puppies in it!

Also, I completed the single greatest sidequest in the history of RPGS: The Chess Match.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

berryjon posted:

Also, I completed the single greatest sidequest in the history of RPGS: The Chess Match.

It really is.

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg

berryjon posted:

That is completely correct.

The doggies were saved.

They most certainly were not killed by roaches while Art and company went off to burn everything to the ground. :geno:

This is exactly what happened to me in my concurrent playthrough of Avernum 3 :sweatdrop:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This place... was built to human scale, right? There were plenty of human-sized doors?

Or is "door" just an icon, and even the huge sprites can just fit right through one?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Glazius posted:

This place... was built to human scale, right? There were plenty of human-sized doors?

Or is "door" just an icon, and even the huge sprites can just fit right through one?

Doors are 'man-ish' sized, as the largest creature that can fit through one is the Ogre, IIRC. Multi-tile creatures can have pathfinding issues with doors and tight corners, which means you either find them in wide open spaces, or in small areas where they are supposed to be trapped.

And yes, the Filth Factory was built to human scale.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Bit of a typo in the last update - there's bust instead of dust in one of Bronwyn's lines. Speaking of, where did her portrait come from? I'm sure I've seen it before somewhere.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 021 – The Anama, The Inn of Blades and The Second Suspect

So, one round of inventory checking and let's see what Bronwyn's new weapon is going to be. She's had the Steel Short Sword +1 for the whole of the Isle of Bigail, but we did pick up that Steel Waveblade from the Filth Factory.

D6+4 damage against D10+3? I'll take the Wave Blade. And it's unenhanced, which means ifwhen I find another upgrade forge, it'll be ready for a boon.

“And while she's cooing over her new steel, time for me to do my thing.”

“Just me, and nothing to hold me down. Or back.”

“Ahonar?”

“Yes?”

“I wish to join the Anama.”

“Yes.”

So, joining the Anama involves talking to the five major priests around Bigail, then coming back to Ahonar here to seal the deal. As mentioned earlier, joining the Anama has some advantages and disadvantages and before I get into the perks, let's get into that a little more.

Joining the Anama means giving up on Mage Spells. All of them. From Scry Monster and Light to Shockwave and Quickfire. All gone. If you could have cast them, you no longer can. You can, however, still use Mage Spells from expendables, such as wands.

On the other hand, every member of your party gets their SP raised to 35 if it was lower than that, and has their levels in Priest Spells raised to 5. That's... 5x5 for the Priest Spells, and 35 more for the Spell Points ... so ... 50 free Skill Points, simply for joining. 9 levels worth and change.

Now, this affects everyone in the party. You can't choose to have some people join and others not. Naturally, because I've made no secret of the fact that I'm a cheating cheater who cheats, I'm going to be just tweaking Delilah into an Anama member, and faking the rest of it.

Joining the Church also gives you these nifty little rings. They are fixed to you and are the physical manifestation of your membership in the Church. They can't come off while you're a member. Apparently, they also give random resistance to certain magical effects, but I haven't noticed it. If I do in the future, I'll mention it.

On that note, leaving the Church is actually pretty simple. Purchase a Mage Spell. Break your vows, and you lose all the benefits of membership, including the free SP and ranks in Priest Spells. And you'll piss off Shayder something fierce.

But that's enough talking. Let's go forward.

“Pray, and the rightness of your choice will be made clear.”

I think this is a free HP heal, but I can't be sure. Delilah was already maxed out.

“And upstairs?”

“Communal benefits for all.”

“And what of the others in my group?”

“We would have preferred if they had joined as well, but we measure our victories by the smallest of steps. If our reach exceeds our grasp, how can we help anyone?”

“Makes sense.”

“hmph.”

“And how were these made without magic?”

“Curious and curious.”

“And these are not statues of Ahonar. I haven't seen these people before.”

“Oh, let's see what the hypocrisy is, shall we?”

A young man with dark hair sits behind the counter. He's polishing a crystal.

“Good morning. My name is Delilah.”

He speaks in measured, precise tones. "I'm called Danza. Pleased to meet you. I run this shop, where Anama members can buy magic substitutes."

“I have to ask... magic substitutes? I mean, it's on the door and all, but I thought the whole point was to avoid using any in the first place.”

"We have found that the best way to get people to refrain from using magic is to come up with substitutes for the more useful Mage Spells. For example, I am in charge of distributing piercing crystals."

Piercing Crystals? That's for the ... Dispel Barrier spell, right?”

"The ability to create magical barriers is one of the strongest mage abilities. Piercing Crystals can bring those barriers down. Piercing crystals can also unlock magically locked doors. We're started to make them at a respectable rate. Would you like to purchase some?"

whut

This has to be new in E3, but using Piercing Crystals on doors that Unlock or lockpicking won't open? I don't remember that! Ever!

“How much will it cost me?”

“As cheaply as we can make them.”

:psyduck: Yeah, that's cheap alright. Not that I'm going to be buying any here and now.

“Private resting rooms.”

“This should be interesting.”

“Oooh... secret history...?”

No. This here is perhaps the single best perk for joining the Anama. These four books contain the first five spells for each of Priest Levels 4 through 7. That's twenty spells available for free for joining the Anama. And remember you get up to Priest 5 for free.

However, you do need sufficient Mage Lore to read the more advanced tomes, as such:

“heheheh....”

“Stairs down and...”

“Actually pretty relaxing. The book is the same one as everywhere else though.”

“But before I go, I know there has to be something more. The second floor layout and what I saw outside don't match up.”

“I'm no Bronwyn, but even I can find this!”

“Oooh! Treasure!”

“... Yeah. Better take this one safely. No need to poke the wrong poodle.”

I'm not robbing the Anama right now. I have more important things to do first. And I want my exit to be suitably epic.

“And that, as they say, is that.”

“Hey man, we got some stuff for you.”

“Show me.”

This is the real reward from the Mayor for beating up the Roaches. Effectively a Level 2 Bless at all times, this goes on Bronwyn for now, as she needs it more than Art or Sass.

“I've been holding onto these for a while, but what is the real difference between throwing knives and daggers?”

“Daggers are heavier and punch through armor better. You selling?”

“Yes.”

“What's on the job board?”

“Why would we want to hurt the Giant Spiders?”

“And the feral ones run away from us. There's no way to do that.”

“We can take that message south, easy.”

“GAAHH!!! When did you get back?”

“I never left.”

“And we have no idea where Calloc is, so we'll skip that one.”

“I think it might have been mentioned as on the mainland to the north, but you're right. No sense in rushing into places we have no idea about.”

“One delivery, coming right up.”

I'm just showing off our current job. I don't think there's an upper limit to how many you can take, but I've never gone out of my way to try and max it out. If anyone in the thread knows, chime in!

“That was quick and painless. We could have lapped the Island twice and still gotten here before the seven days were up.”

“I wonder what's in the package?”

“Ours is not to ponder.”

“huh?”

“He's being fancy, and getting the quote wrong. It goes 'Ours not to reason why, ours to do and die.' And that poem is totally wrong for the situation at hand.”

“You two will have to explain that to me later.”

“Here you go.”

“Thanks! Didn't take you for the messenger type.”

“It's just a way to help meet the people, you know?”

“Well, thanks for this anyway. Have a good day.”

“You too.”

When you talk to a person who is receiving a package, the game checks that first before going to the dialogue tree. You don't need to ask them about your delivery before they'll receive it.

“Job done!”

“I predict many more like that in our future.”

“Back to the mainland then, and to make our reports.”

“I HATE BOATS!”

“Well, we could have a dingy of our own to work with up here. That could be fun.”

:catholic: “Here, let me help.”

I really hate having Matthias get sick, then I cast Cure Disease, only for the RNG to cause him to get sick again the same turn. Watching 6-9 SP go poof like that is a real pain.

“Oh?”

“Yeah, I can see why that sign is here.”

“The Inn of Blades? That certainly has an interesting ring to it.”

“We'll have to pass by it to get to Krizsan and the Fort. Might as well stop in.”

Oooh! Ogres! The new enemy du jour of the region running from this road and to the east. Let me get into combat and see if there's anything new...

Joy, I'm over-leveled. Again.

“Maybe they came from this way?”

“I see something!”

“Hello?”

“No response. Maybe the Ogres are from further up the range?”

“WE COME IN PEACE!”

“Those aren't ogres.”

“They're Troglodytes.”

“... Well, that just confirms what we've been told. That means that Giants are somewhere nearby.”

“Bye!”

“I think leaving them alone is a good idea.”

“Always is. They may have mistook us for Empire scouts.”

“With a Slith and a Nephil? Really?”

“You never know!”

“Oh, hey. Visitors.”

“You know what, we can afford this. And I'm not about to start a fight for no reason.”

I could choose to fight. I'd win, but I'm not feeling totally genocidal at this point.

“We keep going south.”

“Or we follow the ridge and see how close we can get to the fort in this direction.”

“Hello?”

“Hello?”

So begins the single greatest sidequest in the history of RPGs. You may think you've encountered greatness, but there is nothing so sublimely perfect as what we are about to experience. And it starts out so simply. Take a message to the other side of the ridge to the other hut we found, and earn 100 gold (-25 for the crossing fee).

“Sure.”

This just gives you an idea of how close the two huts are. Except we have to loop back east to go through the Troglodyte pass each time.

“Delivery?”

“Alright...?”

Check out my gold before and after this sidequest...

“Come on! We paid!”

Random Encounter.

“Oh boy.”

Not a threat.

“Burn!”

“You sure that was a good idea?”

“I have my methods, thank you.”

And keep repeating....

And keep repeating....

Until, at long last...

“what”

We were the messengers in a chess-by-mail game. And someone just lost!

“That was a waste of time.”

“I don't know. I had a look at the board state, and it seemed like it was actually quite one-sided.”

“Seriously? Fine. Kings Pawn to Kings Pawn 4.”

“I'm black? King's Pawn to Kings Pawn 5.”

“Oh great, there's no way I'm not going to be able to track this game now. At least use grid coordinates you two!”

“Pft. We're professionals.”

“Ignoring the Goblins?”

“Yes.”

“I see it!”

“And that's Mate in three.”

“Hrm. You're right. Good game.”

“And that is the most fake name I have ever had the pleasure of seeing.”

“Plenty of guards.”

“And here you go, puppy. Time to play with your friends now. Here's a stick! Go fetch!”

“yip!”

There was some concern in the thread over the fate of the dogs found in the Filth Factory. After listening to my audience, I have decided that Bronwyn retroactively saved all those puppies, and is now delivering them to the Inn of Blades to be with other dogs, where they can run free, play fetch and all that fun stuff. They most certainly were not killed by Roaches, or burned to death in the immolating factory.

“No, stop following me!”

“Don't worry about the mutt. They come in because they know I'll feed 'em.”

There is an old man behind the counter, pulling beers. He doesn't look very strong or agile, but has several large knives sheathed at his belt. They're clearly meant for more than cooking.

“Bronwyn. Should I shoo him out?”

“Nah, leave him. I am known as Claw Hardknife." He looks slightly embarrassed as he says it.

“No offence, but, uh ...”

“It's what people call me. I was born with a different name, I assure you, but after a lifetime of adventure and injury, this is what I am left with.”

“... I can buy that. So, the Inn?”

"I've run this inn here for many years. We have our own brew of beer, only five gold for a round. We also have one room open, only 10 gold for the night."

“Sure, I'll try your beer. Can't be the worst thing I've ever tasted.”

You drink the beer. After Exile's beer, it tastes fantastic to you. The other people in the bar don't look so impressed.

“Hey, can you do me a favor?”

“What would that be?”

“Mushroom Beer. Is it really as bad as I've heard from the soldiers?”

She leans over the counter. “You get used to it after a while. But yeah, it's pretty bad. Why? Want some?”

“I don't think I could afford the tolls at this point, but it should be something to keep in mind for the future, don't you think?”

“I'm certain it's something we could do.”

“While you're here, talk to those two along the wall. You might find what they say interesting.”

“Thanks.”

The man at the table wears very loose black clothes. He eats a spartan meal of bread and fruit. "I am Oralse. I heard Claw direct you to me."

“Bronwyn.”

"I am a traveller. Until recently, I lived on the Isle of Bigail." He munches a bit of crust.

“Oh, and what caused you to leave? To travel to other places?”

"I learned much there, but the monsters became too threatening, so I decided to leave for a while."

“About those monsters...”

"The isle has been set upon by hordes of cockroaches. They're huge, and carry lethal diseases. Not a place that encourages people to stay."

“Not anymore. I heard that the source of the Roaches had been burned down then had the cavern it was in collapse on top of it.”

“Interesting. And how did the Anama accomplish that?”

“They didn't.”

“...”

“And what about you? What makes you interesting?”

There is a mage sitting here, deep in his cups. He motions you to sit with him. "Arion," he takes a swig of beer. "How are you?"

“Not bad actually. Have to leave my puppies behind though. You?”

"I've been stuck here for a while. Minor difficulties." He shrugs and drinks more. "I was going south to find a teacher."

“You mean the one in Krizsan?”

“Yes, him.”

Only now, in post, do I realize I didn't ask him about the teacher for his own dialogue. Oh well.

“So what makes you stuck here? It's not like the gates are barred.”

He drinks some beer, and seems to approve of the taste. "There are worse places to be stuck, but I would prefer to settle my difficulties and keep moving south."

“And Claw directed me to you. What difficulties?”

He looks at you blankly. "That's more that I want to go into. Just a minor disagreement regarding some lumps of metal."

“Now I have to hear about this. Metal seems like such an innocuous thing.”

“Sure, I can help a fellow in need.”

“WHY IS THERE A BEAR HERE?”

“Oh, dead body as well. That's not a good sign.”

“Hey, Art, gotta head back north for a moment. A person in the bar left a cache up there when he got attacked, and needed to lose weight. I kinda promised we'd retrieve it for him.”

“Really?”

“Yay for helping!”

“I hope it's not too far.”

“No, not really.”

“Just north of here.”

“This stuff?”

“I think so.”

“I don't recall seeing its like.”

Probably Aluminum or Titanium.

“When you said 'attacked', I thought you meant by Troglodytes, or something like that.”

“Not a whole bunch of spell casters.”

:black101:

“Huh. Found something!”

“Alright, I don't like being used like this.”

Just the Key Item description for the metal we picked up.

“Here's your cache. Anything you want to talk about?”

Eh, I doubt I'll use either of those.

“Shall we go south now?”

“Yes, let's.”

“Odd, nothing about what is to the south or east.”

“That's because south-east is Silvar.”

“He's right.”

“I would say we were too far, but I have something to do here.”

“Oh?”

“Here's some unicorn horns.”

There's a dungeon I've circled around full of Unicorns. I'll have to hit it up sometime.

“And back to Fort Emergence.”

“Art!”

“Dmurr! What are you doing here?”

“Just passing through. Anaximander has a job for me, so I had to check in.”

“Surface work?”

“No. Local cult. Something about Holy Relics. I'm supposed to investigate them.”

“Neat!”

“Besides, I heard that Chester and Marianna moved up here. Was planning on visiting them.”

“I think they're in New Cotra or New Formello. I don't exactly remember. Haven't had a chance to visit them yet.”

“You should.”

“Yeah, but you know me and commitments.”

“I know! Listen, I have to go. Talk to you later.”

“You too.”

“Friend of yours?”

“Old co-worker. We were in the Services back during the Invasion.”

“Was that a male or female? I can't tell.”

“Dmurr is female. And it's easy with her to make that mistake. Oh well, off to Anaxiamander!”

“ANAXIAMANDER! I'M HOME!

“Do you have to be so loud? Well, report.”

“Yeah, talk to Delilah about the Church of the Anama. She joined.”

“You did?”

“Yes.”

“I can't say I agree with your choice, but it was your choice.”

“So, aside from other spies, what's up?”

“They identified the body you found in Colchis. It was Erin, from the first expedition we sent up.”

“That reminds me – there was a Vahnatai body in the Filth Factory. I have to talk with Rentar-Ihrno about that.”

“Yes. That is troubling. If they have a presence on the Surface, we should know so that we don't step on their toes. But there is something else. It's a bit out of your purview, but I have no one else to assign to it.”

“Right. We'll look into it. I apparently have a reason to go that way anyways.”

“Also, head down to the Tower on your way there. You've been cleared for more training from Solberg or X. And I have something that will help.”

“We've been there. 250 gold for a one-way trip.”

This item is actually Word Of Recall on a stick. I no longer need to learn that spell! Huzzuh!

“Off you go.”

“See you later.”

“Huh. He's not here. Anyway, we should talk to Berra, if only to prove to Sass that those scales he found aren't from Dragons.”

“THEY ARE!”

“Right, back to him then.”

“And this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I'm one of the few people they'll talk to, right?”

“Not at all. Don't forget to collect your reward from Levy.”

“IS IT MY BABY?”

“No.”

“Oh, how pretty!”

“Onward then! To Mystery!”

“This is going to be fun. I just know it.”

berryjon fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 17, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Unless I'm remembering wrongly, you can only get the metal for the ambush quest in two places in the game, and Summon Beast and Conflagration are such a pathetic reward considering how rare/valuable it is. Even if you did that right at the start (I almost always ended up at the Inn of Blades either before or just after the Slimes, but always before the Cockroaches, they're still completely worthless.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think there's more than two sources, but it's definitely in limited quantity. The use of the metal is pretty obscure (though you'll get to it at some point -- it's off in the southeast of Valorim) and honestly not that great of a reward either, so spending one lump to get a couple of rarely-used spells isn't an awful idea.

Also, Calloc has a sister city, Malloc. They're named after memory allocation routines in the C programming language. Mr. Vogel must've been really struggling to come up with names for this game -- not surprising, considering how many cities and NPCs there are in it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Mr. Vogel must've been really struggling to come up with names for this game -- not surprising, considering how many cities and NPCs there are in it.

Wait until I get to Golddale. I have to get a whole special set of NPC portraits ready for that city!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to admit, chess by mail was a pretty worthy payoff to that seemingly-interminable series of delivery missions.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The Piercing Crystal thing is new IIRC. Since you could never be permanently without Mage spells in E1 or E2, it's not really needed to simulate Unlock.

If you clean out that big pass first, the quest is actually really short. It just seems longer when you need to swing way out east around the mountains.

Also, I don't know if berryjon is planning on doing map updates but the pass (and the next major city actually) are not far at all from Fort Emergence. If you head northeast instead of south when leaving, you can actually run into Troglodytes before slimes or roaches - which is not a good thing. It may look easy in the one battle shown here, but Troglodytes are a noticeable step up in difficulty. However, while you can explore this area, you cannot actually do the related quests without either killing the Alien Slime or nuking the Filth Factory.

Did people actually do chess by mail? I know prisoners would historically do it - each person would have their own board and pieces (or pen/paper) and they'd just talk through the wall. But mail seems horribly slow, especially if you need random adventurers to run through a valley of murderous Troglodytes between each move.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Best advice for fighting troglodytes: fight in the mountains, and hide behind one of those rock outcroppings like showed up in the middle of the road in one of berryjon's fights. The AI in this game does not have the brightest pathfinding in the world, so the trogs' massive numerical advantage (and their spellcasters, which we haven't seen yet) are less threatening when you can't see more than a few at a time.

MagusofStars posted:

Did people actually do chess by mail? I know prisoners would historically do it - each person would have their own board and pieces (or pen/paper) and they'd just talk through the wall. But mail seems horribly slow, especially if you need random adventurers to run through a valley of murderous Troglodytes between each move.

It's still a thing. I imagine a century or two ago most of the players were idle rich and/or delivered their moves as part of their more general correspondence. Letter-writing used to be a lot more common.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
If you don't pay to pass there and try to fight the fight is really difficult for this stage of the game, mainly because of the mentioned spell casters. And it dumps 2-3 fights of them on you. I always did it as early as possible, and the only real way too at that point is to do the long waits after you've killed everyone but before you've exited the fight to restore you health and mana before hitting the next group.

Unrelated to that, up north near Erika's tower, there should be a few fights with a good reward that shouldn't be much trouble at your party level, if I'm remembering correctly. Think its an ogre group, a slith group, and then an undead ogre and slith group for a fancy Slith spear?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

GodFish posted:

Unrelated to that, up north near Erika's tower, there should be a few fights with a good reward that shouldn't be much trouble at your party level, if I'm remembering correctly. Think its an ogre group, a slith group, and then an undead ogre and slith group for a fancy Slith spear?

I actually remember the bit in spoiler from long, long ago... fancy that.

Speaking of Sliths, I am surprised that Sass was not more excited/smug about being right about the dragon scales.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

GodFish posted:

Close. Ogre, Slith, combined Ogre and Slith, Undead. The undead is probably the hardest, but honestly the ogre magi have always been super aggressive, going straight to major haste followed by kill spells and demons.It's a crossbow, spear is in a separate cavern with a shambler. Back in my first ever run of exile 3, I wanted to clear upper exile out first before going to the surface. Don't remember what level I was, but it was day 60 by the time I beat this part. Anaximander actually has separate text if you still haven't explored the surface after a long time!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Speaking of Sliths, I am surprised that Sass was not more excited/smug about being right about the dragon scales.
He doesn't strike me as the type to get all smug on being proven right. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Random_Username posted:

Anaximander actually has separate text if you still haven't explored the surface after a long time!

Wait, really? Never heard of that before.

• Locked thread