Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Will Bottas survive? He's looked off form recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Human Grand Prix posted:

Will Bottas survive? He's looked off form recently.

Recently? He's been bad all year and wasn't hot in 2015.

Botas consistently outperforms him. And that dude is boring as gently caress.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Motherfucker can't outperform himself sad

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Wow I read that as Massa somehow.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Norns posted:

It's like the Stroop effect but for mediocre F1 drivers.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Lewis the Juggalo has just come back from an ICP show.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

I swear I did the same thing.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

CratSock posted:

Lewis the Juggalo has just come back from an ICP show.

Don't post my favourite entry from my dream journal

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

poty posted:

Don't post my favourite entry from my dream journal

The fanfic practically writes itself!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

http://fortune.com/2016/07/14/apple-formula-one/

Which one of you e-mailed fortune and told them Joe's Award was a well respected journalist?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

quote:

The rumors started on Tuesday when Joe Saward, a longtime and well-respected Formula One reporter

Stopped reading there.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Stopped reading there.

but then you missed this gem

quote:

However, the report shouldn’t be ignored. Saward is one of the foremost reporters in the Formula One market

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Bottas would be a perfect #2 at a top team. A Barrichello or a Coulthard, if you will.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bottas would struggle to beat either of those two.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

NtotheTC posted:

http://fortune.com/2016/07/14/apple-formula-one/

Which one of you e-mailed fortune and told them Joe's Award was a well respected journalist?

I literally want to punch that insufferable twat in the face.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I mean, who doesn't want to be able to make a living hanging out in F1 paddocks every weekend and writing absolute drivel?

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Ferrari management shitfight reigniting.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Not surprised, they were competitive for a few races at the start and then fell off. I'd be pissed too if I was promised results and the team under delivered each time and was also beaten by fizzy drink shitlords Red Bull.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Fernando knew

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

This year is just :magical:

I'd be a lot happier if Ferrari had some forward momentum though.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

El Hefe posted:

Fernando knew

Not sure if you knew this but Fernando invented the selfie back in 2007

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

GramCracker posted:

Not sure if you knew this but Fernando invented the selfie back in 2007

Truly the greatest human being to ever drive an F1 car.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cactrot posted:

Truly the greatest human being to ever drive an F1 car.

I mean Lewis is great and all, but I wouldn't go that far.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

El Lobo is simply the best.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wonder if Marchionne has ever thought that pointing at a team that are about three years behind the mercs with engine development, because of a monumental gently caress up the people they replaced did, and saying "win races or else" might not be the best course of action. Best part is that because he seems to be so focused on this season he's forgetting that Red Bull and Mercedes are quietly getting their best guys to work on the new 2017 car.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I wonder if Marchionne has ever thought that pointing at a team that are about three years behind the mercs with engine development, because of a monumental gently caress up the people they replaced did, and saying "win races or else" might not be the best course of action. Best part is that because he seems to be so focused on this season he's forgetting that Red Bull and Mercedes are quietly getting their best guys to work on the new 2017 car.

Isn't it a CEO's job description to tell management to achieve their goals or they'll find someone else who can?

Armchair experts like me know the silver bullet Ferrari actually needs of course.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Whitey Ford posted:

Isn't it a CEO's job description to tell management to achieve their goals or they'll find someone else who can?

Armchair experts like me know the silver bullet Ferrari actually needs of course.

Its also the CEO's job to create an environment where those goals can be achieved. The guy is practically conducting a witch hunt halfway through the season, if I worked for Ferrari I'd be printing out more than a few resumes.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

Its also the CEO's job to create an environment where those goals can be achieved. The guy is practically conducting a witch hunt halfway through the season, if I worked for Ferrari I'd be printing out more than a few resumes.

To be fair, the F1 team more than likely said they would hit X goals (whatever they might have been) with their new chassis for the 2016 calendar. I do agree with what you say regarding that the CEO has to create an environment where those goals can be met, and the fact that he's already got the makings of a witch hunt nearly half way into the season is crazy. I too would be updating my resume and jumping ship because that has to be a highly toxic environment to work in.

In reality it's probably 50/50 responsibility between the F1 management and Marchionne, but because he's Marchionne it's more like 1/99 where all the results and performance are on Skiddyrear and how they are in the wrong somehow.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/07/15/f1-to-scrap-high-degradation-tyres-in-2017-pirelli/

RIP racing in F1, it was fun while it lasted.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Eh.

Given the fragility of the tyres over the years, I'm not convinced this is a bad move if they're expecting that the higher corner speeds and overall extra speed. Sounds kind of necessary under the circumstances. To be honest, 2012 was really the only year this style of tyre was actually interesting and produced unusual results.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

It's the tyre pressures needed for those new rears + the additional down force into the corners. Will be back in 2018 when they know they won't explode. :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Carth Dookie posted:

.To be honest, 2012 was really the only year this style of tyre was actually interesting and produced unusual results.

On the one had it does make racing more exiting at times, but on the other it seems amazingly unfair to the teams. That time kimi's tyres "fell off the cliff" and he went form podium to back end of the points was the F1 equivalent of leaving a banana peel on the street so someone will slip over it. Same goes the other way, Should Force India be the third team on the podium because one driver knows how to make tyres last? Should Ferrari not be because they can't get them right? You could argue that it's to do with driver ability or car design but when the tyres become that important to the racing imo something has gone wrong. We already have the new tyre choices which should be interesting enough on it's own but it's being overshadowed by drivers being able to make the softest tyres last the longest. With the tyres working as they should we should also see cars get faster as fuel goes down which is something which seems to be missing at the moment as they have to baby tyres which are about to explode, and cars able to follow each other better as the wake won't be melting the following car's fronts.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If you can manage tires better than everyone else then yes, you deserve to be on the podium.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Tires are the only reason Pastor won....

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Reminder: Pastor Maldonado is still the last GP winner for Williams F1.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Riso posted:

Reminder: Pastor Maldonado is still the last GP winner for Williams F1.

Future Indy Car Champion Pastor Maldonado

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Human Grand Prix posted:

If you can manage tires better than everyone else then yes, you deserve to be on the podium.

Wanker though he is I have to agree with Horner, F1 should be 1/3 engine 1/3 chassis 1/3 driver. Ability to manage tyres is just too important and it's getting boring. Make them last the whole race or have Pirelli design the tyres so they can say "these tyres will be safe for X laps, go over and they will go bang, so you will be black flagged" ok it takes one element of driver skill out of it but I'm not sure they have much option with the amount of wake which will be generated by the 2017 cars.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rock hard tires that last the whole race was 2005 and that was boring as poo poo.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
When was the last zero stop race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Alain Post posted:

Rock hard tires that last the whole race was 2005 and that was boring as poo poo.
I remember the awkward pitstops where they had the crew just staring at the tyres to see if there was anything wrong with them.

• Locked thread