Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Shindragon posted:

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-132/

Either Izzy is gonna avoid the issue or Spender is really goddamn dumb.

If Hijack is in Spender, then this is going to be a hilarious case of "what did I just stick my raisin-brain tendrils into?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Keeshhound posted:

If Hijack is in Spender, then this is going to be a hilarious case of "what did I just stick my raisin-brain tendrils into?"

why would hijack know that the thing Isabel is upset about happened last night?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

PleasingFungus posted:

why would hijack know that the thing Isabel is upset about happened last night?

I'm sure someone who really believes in it can come up with a reason. I was just commenting on the hilarity of an impostor discovering something unpleasant about the role they're trying to adopt.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how does hijack know about wii sports

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Who doesn't know about wii sports, duuuuh.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wii Sports is a good game, Tollymain.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Regy Rusty posted:

Wii Sports is a good game, Tollymain.

It's five good games.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think we can all agree Wii Golf is mediocre at best.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wii Sports Resort is superior.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I actually never really liked Wii Sports

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I actually never really liked Wii Sports

It's okay to not like good things in moderation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love that to talk about something emotional Spender has to psych himself into going FULL ANIME POINT.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

What has Spender done to earn this kind of loyalty? Max isn't so much loyal as cautious since he hardly knows what's going on or who to trust, but if Isabel's consciously keeping Spender's secrets that suggests a lot of trust even if the rest of their student-teacher relationship isn't going so well.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, I'd wager just being an adult who doesn't dismiss her like Grandpa is a large part of it.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

no comic today, but instead we get something better

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well Spender is a mentor and friend to her, even if he's an awkward weird one (like all her other friends, and her). He talks to her like an equal too, which basically no one in her life does except Ed kinda.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Oh my god the parrot is Spender

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

RandallODim posted:

Oh my god the parrot is Spender

Oh, man, he would be recognizable as Spender even without the double-patches. That is first class posturing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol @ starchman

e: no, not the monkey, christ

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

This is, indeed, a whole lot better than an update. Can spender please be a parrot forever from now on?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Additional nice touches with the spiked bat for Max, and the Lightning scar for Isaac

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Kinda looks like the old art style and shading too, which I miss.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Countblanc posted:

Well Spender is a mentor and friend to her, even if he's an awkward weird one (like all her other friends, and her). He talks to her like an equal too, which basically no one in her life does except Ed kinda.

Also he's pretty lippy with the authority figure in her life

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
No, Isabel, no!

Don't encourage him!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh god, cool action hero Spender in panel 3. Meanwhile actual dork Spender is struggling to justify his bad life choices to a child.

I do like the idea that Spender having some kind of tragic backstory or secret mission is just a given. Isabel rolls with the punches better than Isaac.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Dolash posted:

Isabel rolls with the punches better than Isaac.
Isaac can't get along with Spender because they are doofuses in almost exactly the same way.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I really want more Isabel and Spender heart-to-heart conversing, because this is amazing, in both being funny and also slightly touching? Panel 5 really feels like Spender actually recognizing he can talk to people about things, instead of being a stoic weirdo.

Dolash posted:

Oh god, cool action hero Spender in panel 3. Meanwhile actual dork Spender is struggling to justify his bad life choices to a child.

Cool Action Hero Spender better turn out to be an actual spirit, just like Crying Eagle.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'm not sure this is really a heart-to-heart instead of Isabel probing for Hijack.

As if gramps gushes about how cool Spender is all the time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bell_ posted:

I'm not sure this is really a heart-to-heart instead of Isabel probing for Hijack.

As if gramps gushes about how cool Spender is all the time.

It's probably more along the lines of Grampa saying things like "You call that a spirit blast? Spender could do better with both hands tied behind his back, and he's a loser!" to encourage his students.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, this page explains why Isabel seems to cover for Spender so much. She apparently has mistaken "can't open up to anyone" for cool.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Matlock Birthmark posted:

She apparently has mistaken "can't open up to anyone" for cool.

Her and every other twelve year old on the planet. There was certainly no other reason for me to be popular at school.

For all that some people find the witty bantz to be implausibly sharp, I maintain that Zack writes the most realistic not-quite-teenagers I've ever seen.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That phone call will contain an important clue.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
For all this thread harps on Spender for being a huge dork, he is actually cool also.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hello i'm in 2030. paranatural is superpopular here and also over. paul rudd is playing spender in the movie

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

oddium posted:

hello i'm in 2030. paranatural is superpopular here and also over. paul rudd is playing spender in the movie
Wow, 71 and still making it big in Hollywood

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ah sorry, i should clarify, it's paul rudd's consciousness puppeteering a CGReal who obviously looks like spender

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

oddium posted:

Has quicksand become a big problem yet or did that one just stay a nonissue the entire time?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

quicksand is still around but we call it smartsand now

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

oddium posted:

Is this chapter still going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Rohan Kishibe posted:

For all this thread harps on Spender for being a huge dork, he is actually cool also.

The thing is that working hard to be cool and being a huge dork are basically the same thing seen from different levels of information.