Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

Anybody in Syracuse? Flying there from Wilmington today with a two plane section for a lil cross country action.

Oasis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Syracuse is my flight schools go to place to go for American check rides. Apparently dinosaur BBQ is the place to eat

Correction - it was MY place to go for cross-border checkouts as I did them all. I don't know if anybody has done it since I left. Something about rolling up to jet bridge in a 172 to meet CBP never got old haha. And Dinosaur BBQ is awesome - grab the crew car and its like a 10 minute drive.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Syracuse is my flight schools go to place to go for American check rides. Apparently dinosaur BBQ is the place to eat

Confirming this. Also in Rochester and buffalo if I remember correctly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Haha, Mount Royal always used to use beautiful Cut Bank, MT as the cross-border destination.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

EvilJoven has been one of the more passionate pilots I have seen (read) in a while. For someone like him it might be worth making the sacrifice for the initial terrible life of being a professional pilot.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PT6A posted:

Hmm, I wonder why? Simple supply and demand, or something else? I'm at the very least surprised no one's trying Red Deer to try and pick up some ultra-low-cost folks from Calgary -- it's roughly the same distance as Frankfurt/Hahn is from Frankfurt itself, and that doesn't seem to be hurting Ryanair.

That'll happen at about a quarter to never. I mean let's put it this way; Edmontonians are willing to drive 300 kilometres to catch flights in Calgary, bypassing their own airport along the way. Why would they stop in Red Deer? Connectivity is everything in this business.

PT6A posted:

Haha, Mount Royal always used to use beautiful Cut Bank, MT as the cross-border destination.

Or Great Falls. Not like that was much of an improvement...

Arcland posted:

EvilJoven has been one of the more passionate pilots I have seen (read) in a while. For someone like him it might be worth making the sacrifice for the initial terrible life of being a professional pilot.

Considering he is in his mid-thirties (I assume) and would be leaving what I am assuming is a good career, it would be the stupidest thing he or anyone in his position could ever do. I don't think you grasp just how bad an idea it truly is.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

MrChips posted:

Considering he is in his mid-thirties (I assume) and would be leaving what I am assuming is a good career, it would be the stupidest thing he or anyone in his position could ever do. I don't think you grasp just how bad an idea it truly is.

It's definitely not for me, and would not be worth the cost vs what it brings but some people won't be happy until they got that career they really wanted. One of the two dudes that taught me to fly was a NYC doorman (actually a great position), in his mid 30s, and he still decided to pursue a commercial license.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

One of the "Original Six" instructors I referred to a week or so ago was a former highway patrolman and volunteer firefighter who got out of public service due to an injury, started flying, and became a CFI and got hired at a regional in his late 40s or early 50s.

This was back when retirement was 60 so he had, at most, 12 years in the industry. Don't know if he stayed with it, because he was hired by Comair just before things started going south there.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
I'm working on my PPL and have had my class 3 for a couple months now and got a letter from the FAA stating that my class three is still good but to be aware of CFR section 61.53 because they think I have HIV. I'm looking at the FAA website and I'm not sure what's the best way to contact them to let them know I'm HIV negative. Is it best to send a letter or call for more information?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PT6A posted:

Cut Bank? What the hell. If you are going to land someplace in that vicinity, go here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...!4d-113.4264833

Walk up the road to the Babb Bar for the best god damned steaks on the planet earth (in the middle of loving nowhere).

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Obama signed the FAA exemption with the 3rd Class Medical Reform language included.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/july/15/medical-reform-becomes-law

So excited.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Yes! Unfortunately my plane went down in the chocks and I wasn't able to make it on timeline to come back, so the other aircraft went as a single. We do enough tactical flying that our new commanding officer said cross countries are cool now, especially since its good instrument procedure training. We do not do a lot of that.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

The Slaughter posted:

I have 12 month on monday. Systems oral, manuevers in the sim and then a LOFT. Ughhh. Totally dreading this poo poo. I have forgotten literally everything about all of the systems in my jet, I'm pretty sure. All my classmates feel the same way, too.

Cooperate and graduate. Worry (a little) about the oral and the rest will be fine. Airline training is designed so that the most retarded guy in the class can pass if they put a reasonable amount of effort into it.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Just had my first ever no poo poo decreasing performance wind shear. Everyone was reporting moderate turbulence and gains of 10-15 on final. We were getting the same when the bottom fell waaaaaay out and the warning went off. Shoved the thrust levers into the "oh gently caress" detent and pitched for the AMI just like in the sim and successfully didn't die.

I think I need a beer or 6.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm glad wind shear avoidance systems exist now. I saw a recovery demo in AA's sims and it was intense.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrChips posted:

That'll happen at about a quarter to never. I mean let's put it this way; Edmontonians are willing to drive 300 kilometres to catch flights in Calgary, bypassing their own airport along the way. Why would they stop in Red Deer? Connectivity is everything in this business.

I don't know. Presumably to save money. Otherwise, the whole ULCC concept will be dead on arrival in Canada (I strongly suspect these airlines will all go bankrupt, so I don't disagree with you).

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Wind shear is no joke. They've given me wind shear in the sim that just wasn't survivable. Riding the pitch limit indicator/shaker in max thrust and still VSI negative and just forced down into the ground...
We'll see what the wind shear encounter day after tomorrow is like in the sim... groan.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I've never flown in a light aircraft before yesterday, when I took a demo flight and it was bloody amazing. If they offered me a form to sign up for PPL I would have done it without thinking about it.
Since they didn't, I started thinking about the financial side of it and it's not impossible, but I don't have spare €10k lying around either. So to make some sort of a long term plan or just to figure out the possibilites, what's the general expectation for the length of training for PPL? A few months? A year?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ledenko posted:

I've never flown in a light aircraft before yesterday, when I took a demo flight and it was bloody amazing. If they offered me a form to sign up for PPL I would have done it without thinking about it.
Since they didn't, I started thinking about the financial side of it and it's not impossible, but I don't have spare €10k lying around either. So to make some sort of a long term plan or just to figure out the possibilites, what's the general expectation for the length of training for PPL? A few months? A year?

It depends how often you fly. If you're flying once a week, it might take you a year to get your license. If you're flying a few times per week, you can get it done in a few months. The less often you fly, the more training hours you'll likely need, so definitely try to plan some way where you can fly as frequently as possible.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ledenko posted:

My general memory from being a full time flight instructor was that once a week was preferred and 2+ times a week usually saves a few training hours on top of that. Just remember, 40 hours minimum and that's if you do it often enough to retain it as you move along.

Don't let anyone talk you into doing an accelerated course. It isn't for everyone, and can burn some people out before they get a chance to enjoy it. Don't make your pilot training feel like school.

Making your PPL a fun experience is a must. Find an instructor that'll take you to fly-in meals and meetings, to the beach, or whatever. I did my initial PPL with a friend and it was a blast. I did my multi and CFI stuff with a pilot mill and I hated it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ledenko posted:

I started Private Part 141 at a pilot mill. We had six instructors, roughly 30 students, and everybody seemed to get along and have fun, even moreso if you had a working knowledge of Super Troopers (we even put in our lunch order on the company frequency one day). I flew 4-5 days a week for the better part of two months, weather-permitting (my first flight was cancelled due to a squall line- my CFI hadn't looked at the radar and had to be convinced by another CFI it was coming). It was supposed to be three months, but I wound up with an ear infection which re-emerged during my first lesson, company policy upon making it known relegating me to ground school and lots of knowledge stuff until I could get the OK.

When I got back from a vacation at the start of July, we tried to fly twice some days to catch up to where we wanted to be before the end of the Summer. Being a perfectionist who was too tense about this anyway as a result and slightly worried about airsickness and incompleting lessons, that worked for about four days before it was mutually agreed we were pushing too hard. Once we settled things down (in part because I flew twice with another, more relaxed CFI for a couple days while my guy went on a weekend vacation), I grew to not worry as much about other stuff and to enjoy that I was flying an airplane a couple hours a day, though weather cramped our style a couple times (including the remnants of a tropical storm parked right over Ohio, giving us 4-5 days of "The sun is out, but it's IFR").

Once I got to the end of summer and had to go finish high school, I flew on weekends if the proper combination of airplane/instructor/weather/me was available. I wound up finishing Private after 13 months, one year to the day of my first solo. I flew maybe 10 times between October and June. By the time I finished, virtually all the instructors I started with moved to the airlines, replaced by a batch of corporate robots who made the fact that our airplanes were beaters harder to overlook. After an Instrument lesson where the instrument required for the lesson didn't work as it should and the CFII knew and forgot, I left.

The TL;DR version of what I'm getting at is a) Find a place where you're going to be surrounded by good instructors and people, but don't be afraid to sever if things there go down the toilet, b) Don't overdo or push it to the point where you're not enjoying what you're doing, c) Mother Nature gives no fucks if you want to go flying, d) Your body may not either, and e) Life is going to get in the way at some point. All of the above factors into how long it can take to get through a rating.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 18, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Personally, I've been sticking to a Tues Thurs Sat schedule for flying, with additional flights here and there. Weeknights I put between 0.9 and 1.4 on the hobbs with a brief before and after when necessary and my entire Saturday is a half our flight brief, 1.5 cockpit, hour break and then 5 hours of ground school.

That combined with spending most Fridays and Sundays viewing houses my wife and I are trying to buy, business trips, trying to cram in camping trips now that the summer long weekends are here and other stuff we need/want to do and it's actually starting to get a bit exhausting. For the first time since I started I cancelled a flight on the Monday ater the long weekend because after the previous week and weekend I was downright exhausted.

Fly often but do not fly yourself ragged. You'll start making stupid mistakes and wasting your time.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CBJSprague24 posted:

I started Private Part 141 at a pilot mill. We had six instructors, roughly 30 students, and everybody seemed to get along and have fun, even moreso if you had a working knowledge of Super Troopers (we even put in our lunch order on the company frequency one day). I flew 4-5 days a week for the better part of two months, weather-permitting (my first flight was cancelled due to a squall line- my CFI hadn't looked at the radar and had to be convinced by another CFI it was coming). It was supposed to be three months, but I wound up with an ear infection which re-emerged during my first lesson, company policy upon making it known relegating me to ground school and lots of knowledge stuff until I could get the OK.

When I got back from a vacation at the start of July, we tried to fly twice some days to catch up to where we wanted to be before the end of the Summer. Being a perfectionist who was too tense about this anyway as a result and slightly worried about airsickness and incompleting lessons, that worked for about four days before it was mutually agreed we were pushing too hard. Once we settled things down (in part because I flew twice with another, more relaxed CFI for a couple days while my guy went on a weekend vacation), I grew to not worry as much about other stuff and to enjoy that I was flying an airplane a couple hours a day, though weather cramped our style a couple times (including the remnants of a tropical storm parked right over Ohio, giving us 4-5 days of "The sun is out, but it's IFR").

Once I got to the end of summer and had to go finish high school, I flew on weekends if the proper combination of airplane/instructor/weather/me was available. I wound up finishing Private after 13 months, one year to the day of my first solo. I flew maybe 10 times between October and June. By the time I finished, virtually all the instructors I started with moved to the airlines, replaced by a batch of corporate robots who made the fact that our airplanes were beaters harder to overlook. After an Instrument lesson where the instrument required for the lesson didn't work as it should and the CFII knew and forgot, I left.

The TL;DR version of what I'm getting at is a) Find a place where you're going to be surrounded by good instructors and people, but don't be afraid to sever if things there go down the toilet, b) Don't overdo or push it to the point where you're not enjoying what you're doing, c) Mother Nature gives no fucks if you want to go flying, d) Your body may not either, and e) Life is going to get in the way at some point. All of the above factors into how long it can take to get through a rating.

Premier Aviation at Burke?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

Premier Aviation at Burke?

DCA at DAY. Where being airline-owned means everything.

e- I guess I should say "Meant".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 18, 2016

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
For reference, I'm from Europe, Slovenia more specifically and at this point I'm just looking into requirements and what I should expect. There's a chance my eyesight might gently caress me up as one of my eyes was at -4.75 two and a half years ago and as far as I could tell the limit is or was -5. If it got worse then welp.
I'm also not going to be rushing things, I'm going to get my financials in order and health permitting I have the rest of my life to fly. Besides, I only want to do PPL and have myself a good ole time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW, there's been a recent exodus of a lot of good instructors out of Adria's flight school, and there's been reports of them not having enough planes for the amount of students enrolling, etc., so you might want to check up on that and see if their flight school turned to poo poo or not (I'm guessing that's where you got your demo flight?).

They used to be among the best in Europe, especially for the price they were asking, but all the years of budget issues seem to have finally done its job.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I actually went with Janezlet which operates flights out of Divača. I've got nothing to compare them to but their instructor is a cool guy. They did seem a bit surprised when I called them and asked for a demo, they were sure someone gave me a gift card. Checking on internet they kept cropping up and had some good opinions posted so I went with them. As for the actual PPL, they're definitely an option but I'll look more into it when the time is right.

food-rf
May 18, 2014

Ledenko posted:

For reference, I'm from Europe, Slovenia more specifically

For your information, European weather is usually garbage. My PPL in Germany took ages because weather would shut down operations for weeks.
Finished training in August and didn't get to do my checkride until April because the weather was complete garbage for 7 months. Had to cancel about 20 checkride attempts.

Better try to cram as much flying into the summer months as you can. At least Slovenia is further South, so you'll have more usable daylight in winter.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I just wanna add that Slovenia is gorgeous and I would love to fly a GA aircraft there, so if you get your PPL before next time I go, I'm down to put down 50% of an hour or two to go fly with you. I can't sign your European logbook but I can still help you out with whatever maneuvers or procedures I am able to (if I have not already memory dumped all my GA flying stuff).

Today I did my second landing in a 767-300 and it was very smooth. Empty airplane, light, cool night in Anchorage, no winds, airplane with winglets. I used my pilot instinct to decide to cut the power at 15 feet and that made all the difference. Check airman said he almost freaked out when I cut the power but then the energy management worked out well.

I'm sure my next landing, with a full load of passengers, will be poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

food-rf posted:

For your information, European weather is usually garbage. My PPL in Germany took ages because weather would shut down operations for weeks.
Finished training in August and didn't get to do my checkride until April because the weather was complete garbage for 7 months. Had to cancel about 20 checkride attempts.

Better try to cram as much flying into the summer months as you can. At least Slovenia is further South, so you'll have more usable daylight in winter.

God that sounds depressing.

Winter flying in Calgary is awesome. Our winters can get very cold, but they're usually very sunny and not too windy, so apart from the short days, it's practically ideal.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Weather in Slovenia can be surprisingly OK. This winter we had about 2 rainy 2 snowy and 3 cloudy days. The rest was clear skies all the way :v:. It can and will get super lovely during spring and autumn, but a lovely summer where you can't fly for more than a week or two happens maybe once/5 years.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Flying on the Gulf Coast is...interesting.

The last half of spring to first half of summer is nothing but rain and fog. For about 4-5 months out of the year, the temps are 90F plus. With matching humidity. So it's like flying in sauna. It gets 'cold' for maaaaybe 2-3 weeks out of the year. Cold being you need to put on a light jacket. During Christmas, I was wearing shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt.

For 2015, we had one hundred and fifteen days of rain, totaling nearly 70 inches of rainfall.

We get maybe 4 months out of the year that the weather is nice, but still have to fight the threat of rain, thunderstorms, or honest to goodness monsoons.

You have to really stay on top of the weather as it can turn south in a hurry.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
And yet for some reason the Navy keeps so much of their initial flight training there :negative:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah. I think they get their first 20-30 hrs at whatever flight school is at Bay Minette airport. Which has an all female flight line staff. Not too terrible on the eyes either.

I've met a few of the Navy guys at my home airport (KBFM). Mostly very cool guys. I've spent many an hour watching those guys do pattern work and T&Gs in...T-34s?

food-rf
May 18, 2014
Yeah, we don't get any extreme weather beyond the usual autumn storms. It's just low stratus and a miserable drizzle in near-freezing temperatures half the year.
My home field gets over 200 rain days on an average year, that's a good bit worse than, say, London. During winter the sunshine hours per month usually drop below 30. Going weeks without seeing the sun is not unusual :smith:.
This makes flying complete garbage, flight time per aircraft generally drops to less than 10 hours / month during the winter. Only people who don't care are the local bizjets, who simply do DIY IFR operations on a VFR-only airport.
Lesson: Don't live right under the Polar Cell boundary and to the east of a major body of water.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Your weather talk is amusing as a Seattleite that gave up after getting my PPL there and moved to Phoenix to finish all that poo poo up.
Stupid Seattle weather.

Anyway, the SV that I was worried about and studied like crazy for... maybe 7 minutes, tops, then "alright, that's enough of that, let's get in the sim". Although the questions.. I was glad I had studied.
MV was kind of a pain in the rear end but i didn't have to repeat anything and not really debriefed, so meh. LOE tomorrow and then I'm done. The guy we've got for the LOE everybody is like "ohhh.. sorry". Old stickler dude. Ugh. Every company has one or two in the training department, right?

simble
May 11, 2004

Cool acronyms bro...

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Oh, sorry. It's hard when you come from sim world and everybody knows what you're talking about.
SV = Systems Validation = Basically systems oral exam, "what happens when you push takeoff config button" "it checks trim, slat/flap position, parking brake, and spoilers" "what is the electrical system priority" etc.
MV = Maneuvers validation. Normal takeoff into a stall, non-precision approach to a missed, then to a normal landing. Then a V1 cut, then a single engine missed approach, then a single engine landing, then a TCAS RA, windshear encounter and escape maneuver, EGPWS (terrain) escape maneuver etc just box checking stuff on procedures to make sure you're still good with all the stuff we neeeeeever do (like stall it.)
My LOE is tomorrow. That's "Line Oriented Evaluation". So you get a dispatch release and pretend to do a real flight, like SFO to LAX. It goes at realtime too. But something happens on both legs basically like a hydraulic failure or a medical emergency, some kinda minor problem usually, some kinda major problem, usually ends with some kind of emergency evacuation tho not always and it's a checkride to see how you fare in real world scenario based conditions.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Tide posted:

Yeah. I think they get their first 20-30 hrs at whatever flight school is at Bay Minette airport. Which has an all female flight line staff. Not too terrible on the eyes either.

I've met a few of the Navy guys at my home airport (KBFM). Mostly very cool guys. I've spent many an hour watching those guys do pattern work and T&Gs in...T-34s?

Used to be T-34s but it's all T-6 now. They farm the initial 15-hours-in-a-cessna out to flight schools all around P-cola. I did a couple T-6 out-and-ins to Bay Minette as a student (and others, BFM/MOB/etc) too, free food and flight line girls in short shorts apparently DO work as an advertising model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The Bay Minette girls just tried to friend me on facebook

• Locked thread