Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfOsjVT8mlU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you go back and play the decision again after the first rig, does it go back to being a 50/50 chance?

No, then it is locked into the original thing. So if you chose red first, red is always the winning toss.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Which is very interesting because I chose blue, so I permanently lost a voice clip of Eric saying "Carlos, you rear end in a top hat! It was red!".

I guess.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

This is ... complex.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Unlike the other random events, you're not rolling the dice or spinning the revolver chamber yourself, you're just calling out heads or tails. So you can't change the outcome, you just change which one you're betting on.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Terper posted:

He's staying behind for the evil wrinkly old man, not Gab. :ssh:

He's still staying behind with Gab (and an old man), my statement stands. :colbert:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Was the chain specifically attached to Delta or was it attached to the wheelchair? If the latter or we just never see it, I get this image of Eric, Mira just deciding it would be wrong to separate the man from his wheelchair and just leaving him down there for that reason.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Exercu posted:

Crash Keys was founded by Akane (June) and Aoi (Santa) Kurashiki. Two of them. Kurashikis.

poo poo, I keep forgetting Aoi/Santa is Akane's brother. :doh: Thanks for that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://vid.me/Nfyn

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Needs to have a "Life is Simply Unfair" when the milk spills

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

Not actually sure if it's true, but the internet's telling me you are scripted to always win the coin toss at the start of the game the first time

So uchikoshi forces you to beat his game before you can play the rest of his game :psyduck:

I think it's a great introduction to the idea of multiple endings and going back to change your decision. It trains you to think a certain way when you're forced to get an ending in the literal first minutes of the game. Of course, series veterans were already doing that but it's not inconceivable that newcomers might play this one first.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Amppelix posted:

I think it's a great introduction to the idea of multiple endings and going back to change your decision. It trains you to think a certain way when you're forced to get an ending in the literal first minutes of the game. Of course, series veterans were already doing that but it's not inconceivable that newcomers might play this one first.

I dunno, the way the game was designed with each fragment ending right after the payoff of a selection means that most people are going to just do the 2nd choice right after their first one most of the time anyway.

I actually think it took all of the power out of your selections because you're doing them all back to back, rather than playing down a timeline like in VLR and 999. different selections are made like 10 minutes after one another, rather than like 2 or 3 hours.

e: Also they had to make the beginning like that because of the ending. Can you imagine how lovely it would be if someone had to play the entire game, just to get to a plot lock in the last 10 minutes and have to go back and do the coin flip again? It would be horrible.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 15, 2016

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Are most people doing that? I think that's really boring so I saved going back to decision points as the very last thing to do, when I ran out of new fragments to view.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I figured when I started the game, I'd eventually have to do both paths anyway and that it wouldn't matter which one I picked first in the long run... so I flipped a coin to decide. So it kinda blew my mind when I got it right. :v:

Consequently, when I learned later on that it's rigged so you're always right on the first guess, I laughed my rear end off.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Amppelix posted:

Are most people doing that? I think that's really boring so I saved going back to decision points as the very last thing to do, when I ran out of new fragments to view.

I totally played it that way, mostly because I did not feel like doing another puzzle room right away.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like that Delta is just a legitimate villain so we don't have to feel bad making fun of his goofy Steve Jobs Plague Doctor rear end.

The Zero suit is good, though. Plague Doctor is always a good creepy aesthetic.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weW2wvwG3wQ

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Clarste posted:

Unlike the other random events, you're not rolling the dice or spinning the revolver chamber yourself, you're just calling out heads or tails. So you can't change the outcome, you just change which one you're betting on.

This is actually not the case. When I was confused about where to go next, I tried that scene again and picked blue and got it right, despite my first time being red.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Momomo posted:

This is actually not the case. When I was confused about where to go next, I tried that scene again and picked blue and got it right, despite my first time being red.

I think if you go back to the choice it'll be the same, but if you go back to the scene before it'll change. Which makes a kind of sense, since the coin has already been flipped at the start of the choice scene.

I haven't rigorously tested this, though.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I finally got the game on tuesday, though I still don't have that damned watch. I proceeded to marathon it. I just finished right now.

There are no questions to ask because they have all been answered. I have 100 percented the game and seen all the scenes.

What now?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The truck carrying the ZTD watches swerved out of the road to avoid a snail and damaged all the watches.

Life is simply unfair.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lareine posted:

What now?

If you don't mind ditching the gameplay and only keeping the Visual Novel aspects, there are a good number of other titles by the same author or his collaborators. Remember11, Ever17 and Root Double to name just a few.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Wait WAAAIITT

There wasn't an epilogue for Sigma, Diana and Phi! What happens to THEM? Do Sigma and Diana still get together? Do they start treating Phi as a daughter?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lareine posted:

There wasn't an epilogue for Sigma, Diana and Phi! What happens to THEM? Do Sigma and Diana still get together? Do they start treating Phi as a daughter?

Of course they do. It's like how Carlos doesn't shoot Delta.

You don't really need ZTD spoiler tags in the ZTD spoiler thread, by the way.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Oh right. This IS the spoiler thread, isn't it?

The thing about Delta that's really irksome... is that's he's totally right. He may have murdered countless versions of people, caused them an immeasurable amount of suffering... but he ended up being totally right. I mean, not in his methods, obviously. There is some really sick poo poo he did and sometimes he just killed people because. Like the whole "shooting everybody except for Diana" in the Mom ending. Why? Why did he do that? Why kill Dad but not Mom? They both had zero amount of involvement in raising him.

In any case, Delta is both wrong and right at the same time. A sick, twisted bastard who is somewhat justified in what he does. I was always kind of a "the end doesn't justify the means" kinda girl, but in this case, I'm not completely against it like I should be. And can we really judge him? It was immensely important that that version of people survive, given that they know everything, making them more valuable than a set that doesn't. They still ended up killing a set of innocent people that only won a coin toss. If they didn't, they would have died, but they ended up stealing what could've been a bright future from a set of themselves that did nothing wrong. Life really IS unfair, isn't it? Although, you could argue that the set that didn't experience any of this wouldn't have had a bright future anyway, given that humanity would be killed off by nuclear war if nothing changed.

See this poo poo? I'm justifying murdering a bunch of innocent people. This is why Delta is a huge rear end.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lareine posted:

Like the whole "shooting everybody except for Diana" in the Mom ending. Why? Why did he do that? Why kill Dad but not Mom? They both had zero amount of involvement in raising him.

I assumed that was because Sigma was large and had the ability to bash his skull open, while Diana is far more tiny and less likely to murder an old man in self defense

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Lareine posted:

Oh right. This IS the spoiler thread, isn't it?

The thing about Delta that's really irksome... is that's he's totally right. He may have murdered countless versions of people, caused them an immeasurable amount of suffering... but he ended up being totally right. I mean, not in his methods, obviously. There is some really sick poo poo he did and sometimes he just killed people because. Like the whole "shooting everybody except for Diana" in the Mom ending. Why? Why did he do that? Why kill Dad but not Mom? They both had zero amount of involvement in raising him.

In any case, Delta is both wrong and right at the same time. A sick, twisted bastard who is somewhat justified in what he does. I was always kind of a "the end doesn't justify the means" kinda girl, but in this case, I'm not completely against it like I should be. And can we really judge him? It was immensely important that that version of people survive, given that they know everything, making them more valuable than a set that doesn't. They still ended up killing a set of innocent people that only won a coin toss. If they didn't, they would have died, but they ended up stealing what could've been a bright future from a set of themselves that did nothing wrong. Life really IS unfair, isn't it? Although, you could argue that the set that didn't experience any of this wouldn't have had a bright future anyway, given that humanity would be killed off by nuclear war if nothing changed.

See this poo poo? I'm justifying murdering a bunch of innocent people. This is why Delta is a huge rear end.

And you can't even pin it on him in the happy timeline, because that delta never actually did any of those things. That delta merely prepared for the possibility of killing people, and since the coin flipped how Carlos called, those preparations would remain just a recreational activity.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ruzihm posted:

And you can't even pin it on him in the happy timeline, because that delta never actually did any of those things. That delta merely prepared for the possibility of killing people, and since the coin flipped how Carlos called, those preparations would remain just a recreational activity.

That doesn't really hold up though, since the guy is still presumably the leader of a terrorist organization who have done all kinds of illegal poo poo. I guess maybe they can't prove that? He certainly didn't admit to it in that timeline.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, I guess it's been over a hundred years since Left died, so maybe Free The Soul had become more than that during that time, which is why Delta was kinda flippant about him.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Since it took Uchikoshi a year to write this game's story I really need to see what's on the cutting room floor

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
I just don't see the point in creating a timeline with 75% casualties if he was already planning on making a timeline with 0% casualties.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

yellowyams posted:

I just don't see the point in creating a timeline with 75% casualties if he was already planning on making a timeline with 0% casualties.

Without the 75% timeline, there'd be no 0%, only 100%s all the way down

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Man, this game made such a huge deal out of the idea that shifting to avoid death would result in you swapping souls with yourself and dooming a hapless version of yourself to death, but there was no follow-up on it. That whole moral dilemma would have been made more hilarious poignant if they'd add a bonus scene showing the crew in the first Payoff ending suddenly finding themselves trapped in the shelter with only a few seconds to live.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The 6 million dead timeline was presumably necessary because of Sigma, because otherwise he wouldn't have been in a position to get together with Diana.

It has got to be really awkward for Delta to make a plan with half your goal being to get your parents laid.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's just like that one sci-fi movie about the high schooler. Let's call him M.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's your kids, Sigma! Something's gotta be done about your kids!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Momomo posted:

The 6 million dead timeline was presumably necessary because of Sigma, because otherwise he wouldn't have been in a position to get together with Diana.

It has got to be really awkward for Delta to make a plan with half your goal being to get your parents laid.

not to mention how he'd know what he would need to do to have it all happen. His calculations... are complex.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

Since it took Uchikoshi a year to write this game's story I really need to see what's on the cutting room floor

Probably quite a lot. This being the team's first fully animated 3D game they'll have substantially underestimated how much work and time it takes; I wouldn't be surprised if the original script was twice as long or more.

yellowyams posted:

My reading was that he doesn't actually believe in the 0% casualties timeline, not even in the true ending. The 75% casualties timeline is still his plan A, the true end is more of a curiosity which might work.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
If every decision that's ever being made by anyone ever across the entire universe creates a new timeline, then there was already going to be a near infinite number of timelines where the nuclear terrorist is dead or under arrest or has never existed in the first place because Fanz Ferdinand wasn't assassinated, and World War I hasn't happened until 1942, at which point it wiped out 90% of the Western European population at the hands of Russian Imperial gas bomber squadrons. If anything, Delta's game has created even more timelines where the nuclear attack suceeded, thus whiping out humanity multiple times over for the sole purpose of creating a single timeline where he could be born. Delta is a selfish rear end in a top hat and/or the plot is dumb.

If they can SHIFT through time and space why don't they shift to a point before their abduction and prevent everything from happening now that they know who Zero is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

U-DO Burger posted:

Man, this game made such a huge deal out of the idea that shifting to avoid death would result in you swapping souls with yourself and dooming a hapless version of yourself to death, but there was no follow-up on it. That whole moral dilemma would have been made more hilarious poignant if they'd add a bonus scene showing the crew in the first Payoff ending suddenly finding themselves trapped in the shelter with only a few seconds to live.
yeah, really the Back to the Future story felt more like a red herring to try to inject some form of moral dilemma into shifting.

Akane's story doesn't even make sense in context of the game; her main point revolved around how "M" had no memory of the "Rich Boy M2" life when he returned to the future, meaning there was the rich marty who secretly swapped places with him. Just a little bit later Carlos jumps to the timeline where he just killed Akane in self-defense, and he eventually remembers that. If Akane's story was correct, he would have never remembered any of it at all.

• Locked thread