Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I (foolishly?) want to play Sharp Practice in 54mm.

Would make my tress and hills look awfully small, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
A clubmate bought the rules, and I got and bought a box of French infantrymen and a box of Dragoons from Perry. I still haven't read the book, but he confirmed to me that it would be more than enough for Sharp Practice.

54mm Napoleonics sounds sweet, though. It's like this thread has been on a 54mm/1:35 bender lately!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

I just realized that cheap good 1/72 figures exist, can anyone recommend what I'd need for a 2-player table of Sharp Practice?

It'll be a while before I get the book, but I was looking at this British box and this American box as a starting point. I know shamefully little about the era, but would that be enough to have a game? And are those close enough to correct figures?
I have no idea how many you need for Sharp Practice, but those guys look like they'd mostly be "about right" for the scale, and if you need more than is in the box then another box is dirt cheap anyways.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

lilljonas posted:

A clubmate bought the rules, and I got and bought a box of French infantrymen and a box of Dragoons from Perry. I still haven't read the book, but he confirmed to me that it would be more than enough for Sharp Practice.

54mm Napoleonics sounds sweet, though. It's like this thread has been on a 54mm/1:35 bender lately!

It's just 1/35 is just such a great scale to build in and most 1/35 infantry don't have the weird "heroic scale" golem proportions going on.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's just 1/35 is just such a great scale to build in and most 1/35 infantry don't have the weird "heroic scale" golem proportions going on.

It's THE scale for tanks, it's just amazing how many thousands of kits are out there compared to 28mm or 1/48. I built a1/34 diorama with a T-34 way back, it was pretty fun.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Arquinsiel posted:

I have no idea how many you need for Sharp Practice, but those guys look like they'd mostly be "about right" for the scale, and if you need more than is in the box then another box is dirt cheap anyways.

That's true, and it's not like I'm going to complain about having too many tiny AWI men crowding up my desk.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Frontoviki Dmitri is ready to kill fritzes in the name of the rodinu.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Nm, dumb.

Ponies otw.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 15, 2016

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

My first attempt at Soviet micro-armor.

Face-off with a platoon of Abrams.

We're planning on playing Team Yankee in 6mm.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Where are people getting the rules for Team Yankee without figures they're not going to use? I wouldn't mind giving it a shot with my teeny mans.

Also bonus picture of first few teeny mans completed and based for this project:

Heroics and Ros 6mm.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

I got my rulebook off miniatures market. Battlefront also has an app you can buy the pdf in.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Polikarpov posted:

My first attempt at Soviet micro-armor.

Face-off with a platoon of Abrams.

We're planning on playing Team Yankee in 6mm.

Manufacturer?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

In case anyone was looking for the correct shade of green-grey for a Heer officer in 1944

http://imgur.com/gallery/iNfWn

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

First US Parachute Rifle Platoon ready for priming and painting!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man only 4 more teams and I'll be done with my Soviet Motor Rifle company for painting, then I can base. T72s on the way

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Post up some group pics when they're done mate. :)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I started cutting off my first 28mm French Line infantry from the sprues. What have I gotten myself into?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I felt much the same way when I started my very first 28mm WW2 troops.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

JcDent posted:

Manufacturer?

http://www.pfc-cinc.com/front_page.html

They have some nice company deals for soviet armor in the specials section.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
OK, historigoons, I have reached that point: I've painted and weathered my 28mm WW2 vehicles to my satisfaction. But as of this moment, I have not applied any markings to them (iron crosses, stars, numbers, squadron markings, etc). I don't have any appropriate water-slide transfers, so I'm considering making stencils and/or free-handing it. How bad of an idea is this? Does anyone have experience with this? If so, what did you use to make your stencils? Or should I just go out, get some transfers, and be done with it?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ilor posted:

OK, historigoons, I have reached that point: I've painted and weathered my 28mm WW2 vehicles to my satisfaction. But as of this moment, I have not applied any markings to them (iron crosses, stars, numbers, squadron markings, etc). I don't have any appropriate water-slide transfers, so I'm considering making stencils and/or free-handing it. How bad of an idea is this? Does anyone have experience with this? If so, what did you use to make your stencils? Or should I just go out, get some transfers, and be done with it?

Either way you might want to weather your vehicle after applying transfers and/or stencils/freehand. Personally, I go with transfers, but I've also always been crap at freehand painting.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ilor posted:

I've airbrushed stencils on 28mm vehicles and it was a pain but manageable. Doing it with a brush might be harder though, and fine detail stuff like numbers/letters is probably best done with a pen if you're not going to use transfers.

It's not impossible, and if you're just going for "looks great on the tabletop" instead of "alone under lights in a display case" I think you'll be fine. If you're a perfectionist you'll probably be unsatisfied with the results though. You'll definitely want to re-weather over the markings either way.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, I left off weathering the areas where I was going to do the markings so I could go back in later.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
And the finished product (cross-posted from the Oath Thread)

I ended up making a small template out of Scotch Tape (I printed out the design, laid the transparent tape over it, then cut out the design with a #11 X-Acto). It wasn't perfect, but it let me get the Balkenkreuz roughed in, and I was then able to touch up by hand the bits that needed it.

I'm not sure, but I think I might need to take photos with less light, or maybe more diffuse light. A lot of the rust effects don't really show up in the pictures.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Has anyone found a list of changes coming in second edition? I'm pretty disheartened by the fact that all I can find so far is that its 1st edition+errata repackaged.

They haven't said anything about BA v2 yet really

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

muggins posted:

They haven't said anything about BA v2 yet really

I thought they said that it's basically v1 with errata and all the books will still be valid.

https://tabletopgamersuk.wordpress.com/2016/07/08/7901/

quote:

This second edition presents streamlined and refined rules, incorporating all the FAQs and errata compiled, with the help of the Bolt Action community, over the four years of extensive gameplay since Bolt Action was first launched. The new rulebook remains fully compatible with all of the existing range of army books, theatre books and models.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Welp, local store had Revell Micro-wings for 3$ a box, couldn't say no to that!

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 16, 2016

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a lot of kit in them for the size of the box. Nice find, getting a whole selection.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone know of a place where they'll part out a Battlefront or PSC box? I'm interested in doing a Bolt Action in 15mm project but I just do not need 150 riflemen or x4 of all the heavy weapons.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What are you looking for specifically? There's a chance someone here has at least some spare teams given how FoW and Bolt Action map to the PSC boxes.

Doorstop
Jan 13, 2008
I really miss Texas
Have a question for the historical 'nards. Looking to do Black Powder in 6mm, but the basing conventions discussion online is a bit convoluted to me. Have any of you got suggestions? Should I just base a battalion on a single base and use markers to indicate formation? Do I base battalions on a couple of 20mm square bases to change formations? What do y'all say?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Doorstop posted:

Have a question for the historical 'nards. Looking to do Black Powder in 6mm, but the basing conventions discussion online is a bit convoluted to me. Have any of you got suggestions? Should I just base a battalion on a single base and use markers to indicate formation? Do I base battalions on a couple of 20mm square bases to change formations? What do y'all say?

I do everything on 30mm squares to change formations. Are you going to be doing multiple armies or just one? If you're doing everything yourself it doesn't matter too much because any small distortions will be consistent.

Doorstop
Jan 13, 2008
I really miss Texas

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I do everything on 30mm squares to change formations. Are you going to be doing multiple armies or just one? If you're doing everything yourself it doesn't matter too much because any small distortions will be consistent.

I am probably gonna solo paint through a couple of divisions for the Peninsular war to play with some local game store friends to drum up a little interest. I have quite a bit of 28mm but guys figure out how many you need to really play Black Powder and immediately lose hope. So how many are you using per battalion? 4 or 6 bases? How many strips or dudes per base? I like the look of a battalion on a 60x30mm base but not being able to physically model formations is a bit disappointing to me.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

What are you looking for specifically? There's a chance someone here has at least some spare teams given how FoW and Bolt Action map to the PSC boxes.

About 1/3 of a rifle platoon box, one each of a heavy weapon platoon, and maybe one 57mm that could pull double duty as either AT or Howitzer. Both companies at least sell the vehicles in one-off packs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Springfield Fatts posted:

About 1/3 of a rifle platoon box, one each of a heavy weapon platoon, and maybe one 57mm that could pull double duty as either AT or Howitzer. Both companies at least sell the vehicles in one-off packs.
I more meant numbers of mans with specific guns. I have no idea what Bolt Action does with army lists. If you're saying 57MM then I presume you mean US infantry, in which case I might have some spare weapons dudes.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Doorstop posted:

I am probably gonna solo paint through a couple of divisions for the Peninsular war to play with some local game store friends to drum up a little interest. I have quite a bit of 28mm but guys figure out how many you need to really play Black Powder and immediately lose hope. So how many are you using per battalion? 4 or 6 bases? How many strips or dudes per base? I like the look of a battalion on a 60x30mm base but not being able to physically model formations is a bit disappointing to me.

I use both 4 and 6 base units for under strength and full strength battalions, three strips to a base. In hindsight I should have given stronger consideration to 20x20 with 2 strips a base to make lines look neater, but I liked the three strips for attack columns and since I do ACW there's at least a little evidence of fighting in lines of 3 so it's not horribly ahistorical and eh it's 6mm anyway. Here's a mix of units in both lines and attack columns:

Good luck with all your redcoats!

Doorstop
Jan 13, 2008
I really miss Texas

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I use both 4 and 6 base units for under strength and full strength battalions, three strips to a base. In hindsight I should have given stronger consideration to 20x20 with 2 strips a base to make lines look neater, but I liked the three strips for attack columns and since I do ACW there's at least a little evidence of fighting in lines of 3 so it's not horribly ahistorical and eh it's 6mm anyway. Here's a mix of units in both lines and attack columns:

Good luck with all your redcoats!

Awesome. And thanks for the picture. That makes it much easier to visualize!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Springfield Fatts posted:

Anyone know of a place where they'll part out a Battlefront or PSC box? I'm interested in doing a Bolt Action in 15mm project but I just do not need 150 riflemen or x4 of all the heavy weapons.

I have a lot of assorted extra 15mm from building three full FoW armies. Mostly Brits, SS, North African Germans, Soviet Marines and some random other stuff.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Springfield Fatts, does it specifically have to be minis from Battlefront or PSC? If you only need a small force, Peter Pig sells little baggies with 8 soldiers in 'em.

Unrelated: There's a summer sale over at Nordic Weasel: http://www.wargamevault.com/summersale.php?filters=0_0_0_0_44363&manufacturers_id=5701

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What is a good soviet camo pattern for the 80s. I see many conflicting images on google