Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lord Twisted posted:

Finally, the buff we have all been waiting for.

Just like the points increase on the Falchion. FW crew hates D weapons on tanks, prefers them on every single stompy robot instead.

The drop pod nerf makes a leviathan less attractive. They were already one of those 'cool, but almost too expensive' choices. Now it's just about the cost of a knight. Armoured breakthrough owns though. Also I have no complaints now that spartans cost 45 points more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Just like the points increase on the Falchion. FW crew hates D weapons on tanks, prefers them on every single stompy robot instead.

The drop pod nerf makes a leviathan less attractive. They were already one of those 'cool, but almost too expensive' choices. Now it's just about the cost of a knight. Armoured breakthrough owns though. Also I have no complaints now that spartans cost 45 points more.

Yeah, the Falchion wasnt that good to begin with because its one shot.
Those javelin changes own though and I should finish assembling my 3 that have been sitting in a box.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hixystix is gonna be happy with the javelin changes. Hell, most legions can use it for some badly needed ajility. What does strafing run give it?

Also check this: armoured breakthrough command tank laser vindicator squadron. Why, I do declare!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Had a bit of time to go over the new stuff that relevant to me, my thoughts.

- The glaive is now (still) the most reliable of the legion tanks. Raising the cost of the Flachion and giving it an upgrade is stupid, no changes to the Cerberus is retarded.
- The typhon is still a terror at 2000 points... and the increased cost is offset by the cheaper everything else. Eh.

- Vets are dope. 235 points for 10 sniping, outflanking jerks in a rhino with two assault heavy bolters. This used to be 275 points. Artificer Armour for free yo.
- Pride of the Legion got a slight nerf, if you don't plan on using regular terminators then Chosen Duty is great and very safe.
- Assault marines are sick, the assault legions have no reason to run regular tacticals now, except for inductii World Eaters.

- 65 points for a Javelin with TL cyclone launchers and 2x hunter killers is crazy. It used to be that 2 Javs vs 1 Sicaran was a valid question, now it's 3 Javs vs 1 Sicaran. As a bonus assaulting them is an annoyance.
- Regular speeders are also really drat good. They were a cheap source of graviton, now they are cheaper and get the low-cost HK missiles.
- I'm glad I have two. A third is even pretty realistic.

- Laser Vindicators are still ace. Autocannon Deredeos too.
- Armoured Breakthrough is not going to be very fun to play against now that the fleshy component is no longer needed.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 15, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, the cost increase on some of the more economical tanks is a bummer considering they dropped prices across the board. They should focus on getting everything into the realm of 'good and fun to take'. That's just good systems design. The buffs with point increases to a few of the under-performers is really baffling. In truth though the reign of sicarans and exterminators was probably 2 years ago. Most experienced metas are troops light. I suspect that we might see a resurgence of foot armies for a little while. Just the extra 50 points you save from taking two tactical squads is almost enough for two extra rhinos.

Speaking of which. Did the rhino get any extra pintile options? If you could just slam a multi melta onto one...

e: Malcador squadrons for armoured breakthrough... heh heh heh

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 15, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Speaking of which. Did the rhino get any extra pintile options? If you could just slam a multi melta onto one...

15 points for a pintle multi melta. In fact every vehicle with pintle weapons gets this as an option.

e. I think every unit now has Hunter Killer missiles at 5 points. Predators get them at the cost.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 15, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Battle bunker rhinos :getin:

A 15 point MM for predators, vindicators, and sicarans is very nice

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Also the stupid question of the Laser-Destroyer Vindicator's range finally got settled, at 48". Sick.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
So how much is 20 assault Marines now? Was like 400+pts

If they're significantly cheaper I'm taking 2 squads of 20 for my word bearers, ditching the tanks, taking 15 flesh hounds and hoping I don't run into av14

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

Also the stupid question of the Laser-Destroyer Vindicator's range finally got settled, at 48". Sick.

How about laser destroyer rapiers? 48" like for the SA?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Assault Marines: 175 base + 13 per extra, so 305 points for the full squad.

Bulba: Yup, the rapier laser-destroyers are 48" too.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mango you rock. Thanks dude.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
There's something called the Atomantic Imploder. Again it doesn't show up outside of the armoury?

Range -, SD, AP1, Ordnance 1, Blast 3", Blind, Instant Death.

is that some Auxilia weapon? Nvm it's on the cyclops or whatever.

And this stuff

Kinetic Piercing Missile
48", S6, AP2, Heavy 1, Missile, Armourbane, Heatseeker (no jink save), One Use

Kinetic Grenade
24", S4, Ap5, Assault 1, Blast 3"

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 15, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

You the Man... Go

305 pts for 20 Marines, so 330 for 20 Marines with a tooled up sergeant, is bloody good.

I'm definitely taking 2 squads for 660.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Mango Polo posted:

There's something called the Atomantic Imploder. Again it doesn't show up outside of the armoury?

Range -, SD, AP1, Ordnance 1, Blast 3", Blind, Instant Death.

is that some Auxilia weapon? Nvm it's on the cyclops or whatever.

And this stuff

Kinetic Piercing Missile
48", S6, AP2, Heavy 1, Missile, Armourbane, Heatseeker (no jink save), One Use

Kinetic Grenade
24", S4, Ap5, Assault 1, Blast 3"

Isn't that only on the cyclops?
Kinetic piercer on the thunderbolt.
And the kinetic grenade on the SA or militia command squad grenade launchers.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Does anyone know if ashen circle are monopose? Are the torsos separate from legs? The heads? Etc.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Legs, torso and heads one piece. This is accurate:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Brilliant, thanks. I'm probably going to convert 40(!) of them with arm, shoulder pad and weapon swaps to make my assault Marines.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
A good use for them!

And Reavers for Veterans because vets totally outclass them. The gently caress FW.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Why were there no changes to my precious Destroyers Q.Q

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

A good use for them!

And Reavers for Veterans because vets totally outclass them. The gently caress FW.

Yeah Reavers are looking pretty tame now. The only things they've got over Vets is Dreadclaws as dedicated transports, the ability to take 15 guys, and Jump Packs as an option.

Now if 8th edition allows assaulting out of reserves, both Reavers and the Black Reaving Rite of War start to look pretty good.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Well this is the Age of Troops Choices, isn't it. Even the little change of giving support squads CCWs is potentially big.

Love the assault change. My 20 MkII jump pack marines will see use after all!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Chain axes are +1S now. World eaters really looking strong with these changes.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Is there a specific bit for a cortex controller? Or should I just get an appropriately tech-y looking piece and staple it onto some fucker?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Support squads getting the extra CCW option is awesome, as is the assault squad drop :getin:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So uh...

quote:

Burning Retros

Owing to the meteoric descent speed and the fiery blast of the Drop Pod’s retros on arrival, the Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod has the Shrouded special rule on the game turn it arrives (note that this also applies to any Interceptor fire or similar effects it might be subject to).

* Once the Drop Pod lands, its doors are opened automatically, but the Dreadnought inside does not have to deploy out unless the controlling player wishes, and if this is the case, though it may still be targeted by shooting attacks, it may not be charged while this rule is in effect.

* The dissipating fireball clouds the Drop Pod so that should the Dreadnought carried by the Drop Pod remain on any part of its structure (including its doors) while this rule is in effect, the Dreadnought and the Drop Pod benefits from the Shrouded special rule. The Shrouded rule also applies to any unit targeted by any shooting attack whose line of sight passes through or over the Drop Pod on the game turn of its arrival. Note that this will also affect the Dreadnought firing out through the cloud.

* The burning retro’s effect lasts from the player turn in which the Dreadnought Drop Pod landed until the controlling player’s next player turn. After this point, both the Drop Pod and the Dreadnought may be assaulted and shot at normally

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Support squads getting the extra CCW option is awesome
I'm not all that excited about this option because I don't see myself using it a whole lot. Flamer or volkite squads? Sure, maybe. That doesn't sound too bad actually. Volkite chargers are even a free swap now. Melta or plasma squads though? Nah.

Huh, so dreadnought drop pods are garbage now. Knowing Forge World, they probably made this change because it's not like the dreadnought is hidden inside the pod. If the doors are open it's got a pretty clear line of sight. That will be the entirety of their reasoning.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Buff the Dreadclaw into space and nerf the dreadnought drop pod into the dirt? Hahaha

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Peeps on other forums are trying to defend it as balanced. The Levithan is stuck walking now basically.

One thing FW forgot is that the DDP is open topped. So anything inside is shooting from the edge of the hull and not actually through the cloud

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I really don't understand what they've been trying to do with DDPs and why they seem so determined to write themselves in knots over it. Either flat out state that units in a DDP can, unlike everything else in the game, assault out of reserves or just give the disembarking Dreadnought Shrouded on the turn it lands and be done with it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
As dumb as some of this stuff is, I think we got 70% of what we needed. My only real concern is that vets are so loving good now. As are javelins.

I expect most metas to start bringing more men and less tanks, now that the troops tax isn't so bad. That means artillery and pie plates are going to come back in short order :getin:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

I'm okay with that though. Mass Infantry looks awesome on the tabletop.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hencoe posted:

I'm okay with that though. Mass Infantry looks awesome on the tabletop.

Finally, GW have given us a replacement for WHFB

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Makes me glad I just painted up 30 guys.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I have 60+ dudes assembled on my table and couldn't be happier.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've had a Fire Raptor in my closet for the last year or so and I've finally gotten around to washing everything to prep for construction. I've been dry-fitting some things and holy poo poo there's a bunch of warped panels. Especially the big side ones. :shepface: Has anyone else built this thing and have some advice? I think I'm going to need to go grab some rubber bands.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

I've had a Fire Raptor in my closet for the last year or so and I've finally gotten around to washing everything to prep for construction. I've been dry-fitting some things and holy poo poo there's a bunch of warped panels. Especially the big side ones. :shepface: Has anyone else built this thing and have some advice? I think I'm going to need to go grab some rubber bands.

Heat gun, as long as you're not trying to melta gun your model I've found it much better for large panels and such than the hot water trick.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Thunderwolves as substitute for jetbikes. Yes/no?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Only if they have rockets attached to them. Or are pulling a sled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

DJ Dizzy posted:

Thunderwolves as substitute for jetbikes. Yes/no?

please no.................