Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Five minutes in and Blow Out is my favorite movie ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Unmature posted:

Five minutes in and Blow Out is my favorite movie ever.

Join the club

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I watched a Hard Day's Night at this thread's prompting. By the end I was really glad I'd watched it, but it was pretty uneven. I just found the grandfather character to be really, really annoying. Everything else was absolutely wonderful, but he kept popping in and dragging things down. I'm a big Beatles fan, so I am eager to dive into the supplements soon

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
He's quite clean, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Don't forget Sisters, another good DePalma

Sisters is dope too and I love Margot Kidder but it doesn't quite crack my top 3

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Would I like Blow Out if I hated Blow Up?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Probably, they're nothing alike.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Cacator posted:

Would I like Blow Out if I hated Blow Up?

I dislike Blow Up and Blow Out is one of my favorite movies, so

Unmature
May 9, 2008
How is the commentary on Naked Lunch?

Also, since I loved Blow Out so much, how is Dressed to Kill? And Murder a la Mod, the feature included as a bonus on Blow Out.

Edit: So I blindbought The Player and didn't love it. Anyone interested in a trade?

Unmature fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 15, 2016

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Pan's Labyrinth
Guillermo Del Toro Trilogy: Cronos/Devil's Backbone/Pan's Labyrinth
The Tree of Wooden Clogs
The Executioner
Short Cuts (upgrade)
Boyhood

holy living gently caress

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The lack of a blu-ray is literally the only reason I've been waiting to see Short Cuts, as it's been #1 on my to-see list for a long time. Besides that, I've been meaning to see Tree of Wooden Clogs as well, since I'm a huge fan of I Fidanzati and Il Posto, and the del Toro trilogy looks very interesting, as does The Executioner. Pan's Labyrinth and Boyhood are both great, but I'm not sure I need to ugprade the existing blu-ray of the former, or feel the need to own the latter. Still, that's a strong month. Criterion is killing it this year.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
gently caress yeah, I've been specifically holding off on Boyhood for the Criterion release.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

The lack of a blu-ray is literally the only reason I've been waiting to see Short Cuts, as it's been #1 on my to-see list for a long time.

Me too! This is a great list.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Slate Action posted:

Pan's Labyrinth
The Tree of Wooden Clogs
The Executioner
Short Cuts (upgrade)
Boyhood

When are these coming out?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

blue squares posted:

When are these coming out?

October

For the exact dates, check the Coming Soon page on the Criterion site:

https://www.criterion.com/library/expanded_view?f=1&s=release_date

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Guess I no longer have an excuse not to own Pan's Labyrinth. I mean I liked the film a lot just never got around to owning it for whatever reason.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My patience has been rewarded and that Del Toro set will be mine.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I never thought I could be glad to not have bought any Del Toro Criterions.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Incredible month, but I wish Short Cuts had a new cover.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is that box set going to have any supplements the three individual releases don't already have? I really don't want to rebuy two movies.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Does anyone know what the font used in the Three Reasons videos is?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Unmature posted:

Does anyone know what the font used in the Three Reasons videos is?

Criterion uses Gotham for most of their branding, including their current logo.

It's become more popular in recent years after it was used in Obama's first Presidential campaign logo. Although, they started using Gotham in 2006 when they switched to the current "C" logo.

Also used on the ratings cards before trailers; the main logos for Inception, Ted, and Looper; and the current logos for Lincoln, Cinemax, TGI Fridays, Chipotle, DC Comics, and Game Show Network.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 16, 2016

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

The_Rob posted:

I don't know much about Soviet animation. Is there anywhere you would suggest starting at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9snuua1uwM

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Browsing a Barnes and Noble Bluray section with money burning a hole in your wallet is a dangerous proposition, but at 50% plus another 10% off (thanks, B&N membership!), it was hard to resist. I got:

The Game
Hoop Dreams
The War Room (in honor of the election this year)
Mulholland Dr.
Scanners

I told myself I had to stick to five, and the only tough decision was if I wanted Scanners or The Brood. I figure I'll get The Brood during the next sale, because I know I'm going to get Beyond/The Valley of The Dolls then as well.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

Browsing a Barnes and Noble Bluray section with money burning a hole in your wallet is a dangerous proposition, but at 50% plus another 10% off (thanks, B&N membership!), it was hard to resist. I got:

The Game
Hoop Dreams
The War Room (in honor of the election this year)
Mulholland Dr.
Scanners

I told myself I had to stick to five, and the only tough decision was if I wanted Scanners or The Brood. I figure I'll get The Brood during the next sale, because I know I'm going to get Beyond/The Valley of The Dolls then as well.

For a second I thought you meant the Christian movie War Room.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I Before E posted:

For a second I thought you meant the Christian movie War Room.

I saw that while I was at B&N and I thought it was pretty funny that the two had the same title. I hope that at least one person looking for a movie about Jesus found a movie about Bill Clinton, and vice versa.

I've also got another set of five movies in my e-cart because I am weak and have no self control, and they weren't available at the store I was at. I also just looked at Edgar Wright's Top 10 List on the Criterion website.

Inside Llewyn Davis
The Thin Blue Line
It Happened One Night
Eyes Without A Face
Blow Out

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I still get the terrible song they use over montages in War Room stuck in my head sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZoclr7yxRY

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

I still get the terrible song they use over montages in War Room stuck in my head sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZoclr7yxRY

It's a shame Dee-Lite was never really able to recapture the magic of Groove Is In The Heart.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Yoshifan823 posted:

I also just looked at Edgar Wright's Top 10 List on the Criterion website.

My local B&N actually had a display up with a handful of directors' top 10's (including Wright's), I thought that was pretty rad. I feel like B&N is one of the last physical locations that in any way caters to movie nerds, sad as that is. Too bad about them normally charging full MSRP for everything.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Whitey posted:

My local B&N actually had a display up with a handful of directors' top 10's (including Wright's), I thought that was pretty rad. I feel like B&N is one of the last physical locations that in any way caters to movie nerds, sad as that is. Too bad about them normally charging full MSRP for everything.

Every time I've gone into a B&N with an actual movie section, the people working it have been huge film nerds perfectly willing to talk with me for a while about Criterion movies.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Does anyone else feel like they're constantly explaining what the Criterion Collection is? 9 out of 10 people I mention it to have never heard of it, even movie nerds.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Unmature posted:

Does anyone else feel like they're constantly explaining what the Criterion Collection is? 9 out of 10 people I mention it to have never heard of it, even movie nerds.

I was talking to a dude from Arkansas about film. He apparently taught a film history class at a high school so I asked him if he was excited about the criterion sale and he looked at me like I was speaking another language.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I wasn't planning on getting anything this sale, but I got a beefy expense check from work and my wife cajoled me into getting a couple to have an excuse to stay in with air conditioning all weekend. Picked up My Winnipeg (her choice), Inside Llewellyn Davis, and Nashville. All blind buys for me, we watched the first two and loved them. Nashville's tonight.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

To the folks who have just bought Inside Llewyn Davis, definitely watch the special feature about the folk music scene of the time. It really helps the viewer understand Davis's character and situation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Unmature posted:

Definitely. I work in a small office with like 6 co-workers, and they all now know that I get excited about the Criterion sale, but I had to have lengthy conversations with all of them to explain it. One guy even knew all about Ray and the Apu trilogy, but he had no idea about Criterion.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
God dammit, between last night and right now, Blow Out and Eyes Without a Face sold out. I got Traffic and Manchurian Candidate to replace them, but they're definitely on my list of movies to get next time (which is already long because there's some really great stuff coming out in September and October)

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Apparently the Repo Man digipak is OOP and they've already converted it to the plastic case? Has anyone else heard this?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Parallax posted:

I dislike Blow Up and Blow Out is one of my favorite movies, so

Why do I seem to be in the minority where I saw Blow-Up and soon after watched Blow Out - and then I sold my Blow Out Criterion blu as I realized I'd never watch it again?
At the time I felt Blow-Up was far superior and both are similar.

Slate Action posted:

Pan's Labyrinth
The Tree of Wooden Clogs
The Executioner
Short Cuts (upgrade)
Boyhood

This.
I can't wait for their release of Boyhood, and really intrigued by The Tree of Wooden Clogs after really enjoying I Fidanzati [and just blind-bought Il Posto].

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 18, 2016

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I'm only posting this here because I don't know if there's a more appropriate place on the forums, but what are some good reading sources to really start with film theory and criticism? I devour the Criterion special features where I can and really want to find more stuff out there to read, not just watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I, Butthole posted:

I'm only posting this here because I don't know if there's a more appropriate place on the forums, but what are some good reading sources to really start with film theory and criticism? I devour the Criterion special features where I can and really want to find more stuff out there to read, not just watch.
Film Art: An Introduction by Bordwell and Thompson is a pretty standard starting point that broadly introduces pretty much everything about film form, style, genre, critical analysis, history etc. Beyond that it depends on what your interests are more specifically- cognitive feminist critiques will read very differently from psychoanalytic feminist critiques, for example.

Film Theory: An Introduction by Robert Stam gives a nice historical overview of various theoretical movements, though the copy I have is about 15 years old now. A collection like Critical Visions in Film Theory will also have reprints of famous articles and such, though you might be able to just find most individual pieces online.

If you have any particular favorite directors, it's worth seeing if there are any book length analyses of them available on Amazon or something. Pretty much all of the major ones have at least something written about them. If any of those Criterion sets have commentaries or articles you've particularly liked, check and see if those people that wrote/recorded them have written anything else too.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 18, 2016