Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Business Octopus posted:

...There are people in that comments section that want to outlaw pedestrians...

Admittedly, this is another way we could reduce pedestrian fatalities.

PT6A posted:

Yes, but pedestrians shouldn't be on the road on major surface streets unless they're in a crosswalk (definitions are tricky, so I'll say "any street that is primarily or completely controlled by traffic lights"), so all we need to do is make sure that traffic is not going so fast that they're likely to lose control and mount the sidewalk. I don't know streets in Toronto, but if you're suggesting that something like McLeod Tr. or any of the major avenues in downtown Calgary be restricted to 30 km/h, that's sheer loving lunacy (even though there are lots of pedestrians around).

It's difficult to compare directly to the Toronto core, Calgary appears to be more like Mississauga, a tangled web of six-lane boulevards and highways with no consideration for walkability.

Look at the congestion study I linked to get a better idea of what driving in Toronto is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
shut the fuuuuck upppppppp

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PT6A posted:

I care if people die in general. I don't care if people die because they were negligent in crossing the street.

Then you're a loving rear end in a top hat and you should probably work on developing that sense of empathy

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

"Justice" is the eighth episode of the first season of the American science fiction television series Star Trek: The Next Generation. The episode first aired in broadcast syndication on November 9, 1987. Directed by James L. Conway, writer John D. F. Black originally pitched the story, but after Worley Thorne and Gene Roddenberry modified it, Thorne wrote the script. Because of the changes to the story, Black chose to receive his credit under the pseudonym Ralph Wills.

Set in the 24th century, the series follows the adventures of the Starfleet crew of the Federation starship Enterprise-D. In this episode, Wesley Crusher (Wil Wheaton) is sentenced to death after inadvertently breaking the law on an alien planet. Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) must deal with the powerful and mysterious protector of the planet while deliberating whether to violate the Prime Directive to save Wesley's life.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

namaste faggots posted:

shut the fuuuuck upppppppp

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

Admittedly, this is another way we could reduce pedestrian fatalities.

It's difficult to compare directly to the Toronto core, Calgary appears to be more like Mississauga, a tangled web of six-lane boulevards and highways with no consideration for walkability.

Downtown and the Beltline are perfectly walkable, and as a pedestrian I feel perfectly safe with 50 km/h speed limits. Like I said, every time I've come close to being hit has been because someone didn't stop to let me cross at a crosswalk, which is an issue that's unrelated to the speed limit.

It's only once you get outside the core that the unmanageable web of highways and poo poo begins.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

eXXon posted:

"Justice" is the eighth episode of the first season of the American science fiction television series Star Trek: The Next Generation. The episode first aired in broadcast syndication on November 9, 1987. Directed by James L. Conway, writer John D. F. Black originally pitched the story, but after Worley Thorne and Gene Roddenberry modified it, Thorne wrote the script. Because of the changes to the story, Black chose to receive his credit under the pseudonym Ralph Wills.

Set in the 24th century, the series follows the adventures of the Starfleet crew of the Federation starship Enterprise-D. In this episode, Wesley Crusher (Wil Wheaton) is sentenced to death after inadvertently breaking the law on an alien planet. Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) must deal with the powerful and mysterious protector of the planet while deliberating whether to violate the Prime Directive to save Wesley's life.

Is Wesley PT6A because I vote no. Laws are laws!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I nearly got hit once by a C-Train because I wasn't paying attention. If I had been hit, it would've been my fault, and it would not be a reason to have the C-Train run at 30 km/h all through downtown. Sometimes bad things happen. You can't protect everyone from every conceivable danger all the time.

I mean, I feel sorry for people who do something negligent which kills them, but I don't think we need to base public policy on protecting those people from themselves when the "fix" would result in major inconveniences to everyone else.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

eXXon posted:

The only crime in this episode was that the alien oufits weren't more revealing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PT6A posted:

Downtown and the Beltline are perfectly walkable, and as a pedestrian I feel perfectly safe with 50 km/h speed limits. Like I said, every time I've come close to being hit has been because someone didn't stop to let me cross at a crosswalk, which is an issue that's unrelated to the speed limit.

Fortunately, policy experts and everyone else give no shits about your worthless anecdotes or how you feel.

PT6A posted:

I mean, I feel sorry for people who do something negligent which kills them, but I don't think we need to base public policy on protecting those people from themselves when the "fix" would result in major inconveniences to everyone else.

"The minor inconveniences of the many outweigh the lives of the few" - some dumb rear end in a top hat.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

I'm not sure what definition of "clear winner" you're using, but I'm guessing it's one that excludes anything that isn't a four billion dollar hole in the ground.
Not sure where you get this idea (certainly not from the post you're quoting), but keep beating that straw man to death.

I'm not sure why you think waiting 15 to 20 minutes for one of four trains an hour that will actually use the extension rather than short turn at Kennedy will be better than a transfer, but I'll take your word for it.

Every other train will short-turn at Kennedy. Trains run every 2-3 minutes at rush hour and every 4-5 minutes off-peak; the only way a 15-20 minute wait could be standard is if there were 7-10 minutes between trains. Don't make up numbers.

Also, at no point is the LRT projected to move fewer people than the subway expansion, regardless of the alignment. Even if the pants-on-head plan to run it where the SRT is now went ahead it would still serve more people than the subway.

I'd rather they build nothing than waste money doubling down on proven failures of station locations. There's no sense in rewarding people who insist that it's different this time (see also: the housing bubble thread).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

eXXon posted:

"The minor inconveniences of the many outweigh the lives of the few" - some dumb rear end in a top hat.

The only way to prevent all pedestrian/vehicle collisions is to ban all vehicles (including trains and buses). Where do you draw the line?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

tagesschau posted:

I'd rather they build nothing than waste money doubling down on proven failures of station locations. There's no sense in rewarding people who insist that it's different this time (see also: the housing bubble thread).

... you mean like the one-stop subway that will end very near the existing terminus at McCowan and cost more than the LRT with just a modest gain in transit time and lower projected ridership?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

tagesschau posted:

Every other train will short-turn at Kennedy. Trains run every 2-3 minutes at rush hour and every 4-5 minutes off-peak; the only way a 15-20 minute wait could be standard is if there were 7-10 minutes between trains. Don't make up numbers.

My mistake, I know the average headways, I was under the impression the plan was to short turn more then 50% of the trains at Kennedy.

PT6A posted:

The only way to prevent all pedestrian/vehicle collisions is to ban all vehicles (including trains and buses). Where do you draw the line?

Hypothetically? You draw the line where the traffic management studies say it should be drawn based on the amount you want to reduce pedestrian fatalities.

Initially it was 20% fewer, then we decided that wasn't very good and went with 100% fewer, then we decided that would be inconvenient. So we've left the unrealistic goal, made a few half-hearted reductions here and there and told people not to look at their phones while crossing the street.

eXXon posted:

... you mean like the one-stop subway that will end very near the existing terminus at McCowan and cost more than the LRT with just a modest gain in transit time and lower projected ridership?

I think we're very acrimoniously agreeing that this is all a huge waste of money, he's just saying one of the alternatives was also a huge waste of money.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 15, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hypothetically? You draw the line where the traffic management studies say it should be drawn based on the amount you want to reduce pedestrian fatalities.

I agree completely. I'm just arguing that a 100% reduction is not a reasonable goal, as some people appear to be arguing. Ipso facto, there must be a non-zero level of acceptable deaths due to negligence. The inconvenience involved to other people should be one factor in calculating that number.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

eXXon posted:

The RT is falling apart and needs to be replaced with something usable.

There is really no point to retracing the current route of the RT beyond "it's cheap and we're cheap;" several of the stations have a residential population of less than 100 within walking distance.

If I had to pick an alignment for the LRT, I'd go east on Eglinton, north on Danforth/McCowan to Scarborough Centre, and then further up to Sheppard or east along Progress to Centennial College or somehow turning back down along Ellesmere to UofT Scarborough.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tagesschau posted:

At this point, building something is better than building nothing.

The problem being that the something we chose is actually not better than nothing. It's worse because it adds significant financial strain to a system that can't afford it, with very little utility. The something we're now going to build is very definitely coming at the expense of the rest of the LRT network that has been pitched along side it.

Edit: Saying "we're cheap" is glossing over the part where the mayor has told the TTC to reduce their budget by 2%, given free transit to children under 12, mandated service increases, and limited fare increases. He's under funding them while simultaneously expanding their responsibility. Trading a "bad" plan where the province was responsible for operating costs, for a worse plan where the TTC is responsible is just icing on the cake.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 15, 2016

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

tagesschau posted:

There is really no point to retracing the current route of the RT beyond "it's cheap and we're cheap;" several of the stations have a residential population of less than 100 within walking distance.

... but again, the fact that the subway runs along a different route than the existing RT is irrelevant if there are no other stops on it than the terminus which is still going to be at Scarborough Town Centre. If the plan is to eventually build more stations along the way, surely it would be more cost-effective to do that now instead of later?

Incidentally, the TTC did consider re-using the existing SRT corridor but ranked it the worst option:

http://scarboroughsubwayextension.ca/assets/16-05-27-final-corridor-re-evaluation-rev-3.pdf

But seeing as the preferred path costs over $3 billion dollars, surely cost is a consideration? Would it not be cheaper to widen/reinforce the existing SRT platform between Kennedy and Ellesmere and run it above ground most of the way? I realize the existing turns are way too tight but that stretch doesn't run through any residential areas for a 2km stretch from Lawrence to Ellesmere, and a good chunk of the other half of the northbound corridor from Kennedy to Ellesmere passes by a few dozen homes and a hydro corridor.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

EvilJoven posted:

And while we're at it if you're a pedestrian using the blinky yellow traffic light pedestrian crossings don't just slam the button and immediately step out in to traffic cars don't stop on a dime.

The correct procedure as per the government is to press the button, hold your arm out to signal your intention to walk then proceed once you have confirm traffic is stopping.
:goonsay:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Meanwhile, in Calgary

http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aVeqrW2_460sv.mp4

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Calgary Stampede is literally a gathering of the stupidest people in the country.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

[citation needed]

That doesn't look like any part of the Stampede grounds I've ever seen.

EDIT: Looking it up, it is, in fact, from Minnesota.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 15, 2016

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

I feel like it's this way in most of Europe, I've had to watch my rear end everywhere. Which is a good thing.

Trying to use a crosswalk in Naples was a bit of an eye opening experience to a young and previous untraveled Butcher.

But at least they mostly eventually stop at red lights.

China on the other hand is some Mad Max poo poo. I found the "safest" way to cross the road was to sync up beside a local and follow them exactly.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

[citation needed]

That doesn't look like any part of the Stampede grounds I've ever seen.

EDIT: Looking it up, it is, in fact, from Minnesota.

You are surprisingly unfun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'd do this if it was one of those spheres you literally climb inside of but this just seems to be good way to get your legs annihilated via bull or gravity.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Butcher, you know nothing until you have seen Ho Chi Mihn city

Every moment I was on a road contributed to rapid hair loss.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

DariusLikewise posted:

The Calgary Stampede is literally a gathering of the stupidest people in the country.

:agreed:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

MA-Horus posted:

The Butcher, you know nothing until you have seen Ho Chi Mihn city

Every moment I was on a road contributed to rapid hair loss.

Bah, you get used to it. It's all very logical if you're drunk paying attention. You just go where you're going and don't hit anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyLkiCkbUjc

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It’s not even the C list that’s running. It’s the D list.

quote:

Just a few months ago, federal Conservatives were trumpeting how well they had recovered from the election defeat and were excited at the prospects of a leadership race that could include Jason Kenney, Peter MacKay and potentially even Rona Ambrose.

Suddenly, though, the calibre of candidates has diminished: the Draft Rona movement fell flat at the party’s convention, Kenney has jumped to Alberta provincial politics, and close friends of MacKay say he’s “reluctant” to jump into the race because of his young family.

Instead, backbenchers, defeated Conservative MPs and other relatively unknown candidates are joining the race or considering doing so.

Deepak Obhrai, a Calgary MP for nearly 20 years, announced in an email to fellow Tory parliamentarians Thursday that he’s running for the Conservative crown, while social conservative backbencher Brad Trost has said he’s exploring a leadership bid.

Defeated former cabinet minister Chris Alexander – whose barbaric cultural practices tip line announcement was a flop last campaign – has also been kicking tires.

Paul Calandra, the former parliamentary secretary to then-prime minister Stephen Harper and another defeated Conservative, has been collecting signatures in recent months for a potential leadership run, according to some Tory MPs.

Alexander and Calandra couldn’t be reached for comment on Friday, and it’s unclear whether they are still considering possible leadership bids.

As well, Winnipeg doctor Dan Lindsay has launched an exploratory committee for a potential leadership run.

“It’s not even the C list that’s running. It’s the D list,” lamented one Conservative MP who asked not to be identified. “And the top players are all sitting out.”

So far, MPs Kellie Leitch, Maxime Bernier, Michael Chong, Tony Clement and Obhrai have declared they’re seeking the party’s top job at the May 2017 vote.

MacKay remains the biggest name that many Conservatives hope will enter the race and be the potential saviour for the party — someone who can pose a serious challenge to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the Liberals in the 2019 election.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

p. much. Toronto council long ago established itself as a baseline for municipal stupidity. Its only relevance now to the rest of Canada is as a warning to others.

I'm more concerned about our NATO ally undergoing a military coup as we type. Not that Edorgan wasn't a useless corrupt authoritarian but these things are rarely an improvement. Should be interesting to see what this does to our Middle East policies.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Pierre Poilievre for Con leader please.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

That gif will always be the best thing about every CanPol thread. Every time you watch it you notice something new. :allears:

I hope the Cons run every single moron for leader because its what they deserve at this point.

Same as the NDP.

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016
That gif is always the cringiest thing posted and for some reason awkward people seem to think its endearing even though its a gif of supposedly one of our nation's elected leaders looking disheveled, and acting overly obnoxious.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

P-Value Hack posted:

That gif is always the cringiest thing posted and for some reason awkward people seem to think its endearing even though its a gif of supposedly one of our nation's elected leaders looking disheveled, and acting overly obnoxious.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Bah gawd, that's Rob Anders's music!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

P-Value Hack posted:

I was going to make a joke about the P in your username standing for Paul but if you were the real Calandra you would have changed the topic by now.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

I hope the Cons run every single moron for leader because its what they deserve at this point.

I hope so too, morons are pretty relatable for canadians. Hopefully we get O'Leary.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
are there any tory morons as dreamy as pm moron jt

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

namaste faggots posted:

are there any tory morons as dreamy as pm moron jt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Ted Cruz is Canadian. Make it happen Cons.