Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

These professionals didn't wear pads until they were professionals.

No poo poo? Perhaps in the last 20 years the messaging about wearing safety gear has become a bit better as well?

Tony Hawk was also a pro since he was 14, so that video has him about 10 years after becoming a professional skater just rolling around the street. The common image of him in his helmet and pads came after he became an outright celebrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Lime Tonics posted:

Guess what happened to a CIA analyst on FOX news?

A man who has appeared on Fox News as a guest "terrorism analyst" was sentenced to 33 months in prison on Friday on charges that he fraudulently claimed to have been a CIA agent for decades, U.S. prosecutors said.

Wayne Simmons, 62, of Annapolis, Maryland, was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Virginia, the U.S. Attorney's Office said in a statement.

"Wayne Simmons is a fraud. Simmons has no military or intelligence background, or any skills relevant to the positions he attained through his fraud," said Dana Boente, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia.

U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III also sentenced Simmons to serve three years of supervised release, to forfeit two firearms and $176,000 in criminal proceeds, and to pay restitution.

Simmons had appeared on Fox News, a unit of 21st Century Fox and the top-ranked U.S. cable television news network, as an unpaid guest analyst on terrorism since 2002.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-twenty-first-fox-crime-analyst-idUSKCN0ZV21Q?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

You would think the #1 news source in america would vet people better but...nah.

Haha, holy poo poo. I can just imagine how that interview went when he got the job

Fox: "We can't find any record at all of you working for the CIA"

Simmons: "Of course not, because I'm that good at being a spy, duh." :smug:

Fox: :allears:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

You see, not wearing this helmet will give me more incentive to not gently caress up this sweet backflip.

We gotta bunch of shoobies in this thread.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Scruff McGruff posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. I can just imagine how that interview went when he got the job

Fox: "Do we need to shove a hand up your rear end to animate you or do you know your lines?"

Simmons: "Thanks Obama."

Fox: :allears:

Ftfy

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Lime Tonics posted:

You would think the #1 news source in america would vet people better but...nah.

So he got in trouble, but the people who used his false credentials to propagate their own faulty viewpoints for years don't get poo poo, how about that. Is there a regulatory body that stops TV news from just saying whatever the gently caress they like, or do they have to have legal action taken against them after the fact? 'cause I've seen news places making poo poo up and distorting the truth since I got old enough to pay attention to the news, and I feel like the net change in public knowledge/misinformation and opinion has probably added up pretty grievously over the last few decades.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cobweb Heart posted:

So he got in trouble, but the people who used his false credentials to propagate their own faulty viewpoints for years don't get poo poo, how about that. Is there a regulatory body that stops TV news from just saying whatever the gently caress they like, or do they have to have legal action taken against them after the fact? 'cause I've seen news places making poo poo up and distorting the truth since I got old enough to pay attention to the news, and I feel like the net change in public knowledge/misinformation and opinion has probably added up pretty grievously over the last few decades.

I'm pretty sure there's no regulation among private networks outside of outright breaking laws or doing something lawsuit-worthy. Like if CNN committed slander or libel they could get in trouble, but being deceived by a fake analyst doesn't really merit punishment. I think the only thing that could cause a private network to suffer legal action for expressing viewpoints would be advocating something that actually endangers its viewers, like encouraging suicidal behavior or declaring RaHoWa and telling everyone watching to go to town on their neighbors.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jippa posted:

This went about as badly as possible, nailing the guy at the end was icing on the cake.

That gif cuts early. In the full clip, she tries to run off the stage in embarrassment, they haul her up off her feet, and she bowls into the attendants again.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Lime Tonics posted:

Simmons had appeared on Fox News, a unit of 21st Century Fox and the top-ranked U.S. cable television news network, as an unpaid guest analyst on terrorism since 2002.

What the gently caress why? Why would anybody lie and break federal laws to appear for free?

Is this a common thing, where people submit themselves to Fox just because they want to be on television spouting their bullshit?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What the gently caress why? Why would anybody lie and break federal laws to appear for free?

Is this a common thing, where people submit themselves to Fox just because they want to be on television spouting their bullshit?
It's so you can put "Fox News Analyst" on your resume and sound more important. He had so much fake poo poo on there that he needed something real eventually.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Yes; this is why professionals don't wear protection 100% of the time.

Oh wait, yes they do because your argument is loving stupid.

FCKGW posted:

slowly tooling around a skatepark.

why is this so difficult for you people to understand.

if he was on a vert ramp, he'd have pads. but hes pushing around in circles in a skatepark

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Lime Tonics posted:

Guess what happened to a CIA analyst on FOX news?

:lol: at anyone that believes "Fox" "News" is a legitimate actual news source and not just a bunch of poo poo-stirring mental handicaps

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

FCKGW posted:

why is this so difficult for you people to understand.

if he was on a vert ramp, he'd have pads. but hes pushing around in circles in a skatepark

Regardless of how short a distance you're driving/how slowly you're biking/how safe your skateboard surroundings, it's never a BAD idea to put on your seatbelt/wear a helmet/use appropriate pads. I'd say this goes double for when you're about to get on a skateboard made of glass.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's not his job at Fox News that was the issue.

quote:

Simmons admitted that he defrauded the government in 2008 when he got work as a team leader in an Army program, and again in 2010 when he was deployed to Afghanistan as an intelligence adviser.

He said he made similar false statements in a 2009 bid to get work with the State Department's Worldwide Protective Service.

Simmons also admitted to defrauding an unidentified woman out of $125,000 in a bogus real estate investment. When he was arrested, Simmons illegally possessed two firearms, which he was barred from having because of prior felonies, including a state conviction and two federal firearms violations.

It's his work with the federal government, and some woman.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You don't even get the discounts you get from pretending to be part of the military!

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

jmistajay posted:

Regardless of how short a distance you're driving/how slowly you're biking/how safe your skateboard surroundings, it's never a BAD idea to put on your seatbelt/wear a helmet/use appropriate pads. I'd say this goes double for when you're about to get on a skateboard made of glass.

That glass skateboard video had me tense. Watching the slo-mo crash was scary. It looks like he had glass under him as he slid. And then they were showing the needle-like shards that could have gone anywhere.

I'm only up to #12 of "Make It We'll Skate It" and it's a blast. I'm not even the least into skateboarding, but it's a cool idea and they seem like cool dudes.

There does seem to be some truth to the "knowing how to land" thing because they all seem to move a certain way as they fall and hit the ground in a similar way. I never learned to fall right which is why I my skateboarding/rollerskating/rollerblading lifestyle was super short-lived. I suspect I was a big wuss as a kid. :(

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jmistajay posted:

except you look like a dork, a fate worse than death i assure you

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's true, go ask anyone in an orthopedic ward how glad they are they didn't look like a dork.

"Sure I can't lay on my right side anymore without agony and sometimes piss myself while the hot physical therapists help me walk halfway across a room in under an hour, but those guys at the park sure weren't making fun of me six months ago."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lotta people who fell in the dirt and never played outside again itt

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Chill out guys. You act as if that as soon as they get on that board their head will get egged to the ground. What is this? the Overprotective mothers thread

Live a little

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Alaois posted:

lotta people who fell in the dirt and never played outside again itt

Hey, The Silmarillion wasn't gonna read itself. <:mad:>

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Karma Monkey posted:

Hey, The Silmarillion wasn't gonna read itself. <:mad:>

Couldn't finish it

Read Lloyd Alexander instead imo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

jmistajay posted:

I have heard that once a person reaches 6' tall they have a dramatically increased risk of dying if they fall and hit their head. Should I start wearing a helmet in the shower?

I'm 6' btw.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Some news cringe, mostly familiar stuff but if you want to feel some secondhand humiliation here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HLrJETcaHk

Hey Glenn Beck is an utter turd, who knew?

E messed up the link, sorry

Croisquessein has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Jul 16, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Wow, that video's already unavailable.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Chichevache posted:

I have heard that once a person reaches 6' tall they have a dramatically increased risk of dying if they fall and hit their head. Should I start wearing a helmet in the shower?

I'm 6' btw.

You can keep the helmet on or not, but starting to shower would definately be a good idea.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

Karma Monkey posted:

That glass skateboard video had me tense. Watching the slo-mo crash was scary. It looks like he had glass under him as he slid. And then they were showing the needle-like shards that could have gone anywhere.

I'm only up to #12 of "Make It We'll Skate It" and it's a blast. I'm not even the least into skateboarding, but it's a cool idea and they seem like cool dudes.

There does seem to be some truth to the "knowing how to land" thing because they all seem to move a certain way as they fall and hit the ground in a similar way. I never learned to fall right which is why I my skateboarding/rollerskating/rollerblading lifestyle was super short-lived. I suspect I was a big wuss as a kid. :(

I'm in the same boat here. Never was much of a street skater, more longboard cruiser but I've been binging this channel for a month now since I first came across it. Glad folks in this thread appreciate it too. Also, the schadenfreude ain't bad.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

They weren't wrong.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Maybe they weren't going to Success :colbert:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

http://i.imgur.com/nxBN2Q2.mp4

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Holy poo poo

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Holy poo poo, I hadn't laughed that hard in a while

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqdaijFIDvU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

During a panel today one of the Star Wars Rogue One actors casually mentioned that one of the other actor's character dies in the movie. Don't read the article if you don't want to know who.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/15/star-wars-celebration-2016-cast-member-appears-to-drop-huge-rogue-one-spoiler-during-panel

This guy's got a video of it for now, but apparently Disney's pulling them down. Don't even open the link if you care, since the text in the tweet give its away.
https://twitter.com/AlbertChessa/status/ 753987669290471424

Whoopsie!

Edit: Apparently you can't not embed tweet URLs, so copy and paste it and take out the spaces.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Playboy Playmate Dani Mathers fat shames some lady at the gym on snapchat and gets destroyed:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article89843007.html

Sorry if I missed this being posted already, looked for it but couldn't find it.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Knormal posted:

During a panel today one of the Star Wars Rogue One actors casually mentioned that one of the other actor's character dies in the movie. Don't read the article if you don't want to know who.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/15/star-wars-celebration-2016-cast-member-appears-to-drop-huge-rogue-one-spoiler-during-panel

This guy's got a video of it for now, but apparently Disney's pulling them down. Don't even open the link if you care, since the text in the tweet give its away.
https://twitter.com/AlbertChessa/status/ 753987669290471424

Whoopsie!

Edit: Apparently you can't not embed tweet URLs, so copy and paste it and take out the spaces.

Any fan could tell you that if they played any bothan there's a good chance they will die. I didnt read the article.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Dash cams really are the gift that keeps on giving.
:allears:

Refrigerapist
Dec 11, 2004

People in the front row are just happy nothing came flying out of her moon door.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Chichevache posted:

I'm 6' btw.

Under no circumstances should you wear a helmet, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

belt posted:

Playboy Playmate Dani Mathers fat shames some lady at the gym on snapchat and gets destroyed:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article89843007.html

Sorry if I missed this being posted already, looked for it but couldn't find it.

I cannot fathom the level of stupid that would lead someone to think that photographing nude strangers without their knowledge or consent is a good idea.

Also, yeah this poor lady was fat but she was at the gym, clearly she's trying to do something about it. Isn't that what she's supposed to do?