Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Here's a picture.

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I meant to submit a soldier earlier this week but I got wrapped up in some bullshit so I hope I'm not too late :ohdear:

Canuck-Errant posted:

Here's a picture.

Beautiful.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

You could not have picked a better time to post with that avatar, i'm just saying :lol:

AhrimanPK
Oct 9, 2012

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello

My name's Clive Owen!
I'm pretty disappointed that the transporter accident that merged me and Guava left us with Guava's voice.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I was wondering what was so special about the commander that they would spend twenty years trying to find him and him specifically (or her I suppose), but considering all the cack-handed, fumbling incompetence employed in that tutorial mission, they need all the help they can get.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

XCOM 2 is basically the game Kenny was playing in that South Park episode where Heaven's angels needed him to lead them into battle.

You are Kenny. Engage in the most epic fight too good to be seen.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
I know they were going for a kind of gravitas, but that "Welcome back...Commander" always sounds incredibly sarcastic and resentful to me. It really does not gel with how Bradford is written.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Vile posted:

I know they were going for a kind of gravitas, but that "Welcome back...Commander" always sounds incredibly sarcastic and resentful to me. It really does not gel with how Bradford is written.

IIRC, Bradford spent most of the last 20 years as a drunk hobo living in a shack in Idaho pointing a shotgun at the door. The dude doesn't have the best people skills.

I actually don't like the story or setting of X-COM 2 at all for the next game in the setting, and the characters are one of my quibbles versus Enemy Unknown: everyone seems much less likable than the Kirk-Spock-McCoy trio of Bradford, Vahlen, and Shen in 2012.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Eyy boobie alien the game has started, I'm excited to see how you play this on Commander because I have no confidence going to that difficulty yet.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

God Bless Xcom

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Cythereal posted:

IIRC, Bradford spent most of the last 20 years as a drunk hobo living in a shack in Idaho pointing a shotgun at the door. The dude doesn't have the best people skills.

I actually don't like the story or setting of X-COM 2 at all for the next game in the setting, and the characters are one of my quibbles versus Enemy Unknown: everyone seems much less likable than the Kirk-Spock-McCoy trio of Bradford, Vahlen, and Shen in 2012.

I dunno,Lilly's got her moments. Tygan's as boring as a stick,though.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
A little sad that Good Ol' Jane Kelly is gonna be kicked to the curb at the first chance. She's usually one of the most memorable things for a first playthrough of the game simply because she's there from the start. I'm going to enjoy watching the rest of this, because I am trash on veteran even. Commander is way out of my league.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

VolticSurge posted:

He's just focused on those ADVENT burgers he left behind.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
One video in and I know this LP is going to get me to buy the game. Excited for more.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Tygan's... dramatic pauses leave... something to be desired. It makes him... sound like... William Shatner.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
On the topic of hacking, guava mentioned there's few ways to increase your hacking score, I do recall a mod that gives you a (small) permanent boost to your hacking score for every hack you make. Like, +3 for a successful hack, and +1 for a failed. It's not a huge thing, but nice.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah, XCOM 1, everyone had a good niche. Shen was the science grandpa who worried about the Moral Implications. Vahlen was the madwoman who put "vivisection" as one of her interests on her online dating profile, and Bradford was the idiot you all rolled your eyes at. Here, I can see the intended dynamic (Shen's the new generation, Bradford's the tired veteran, and Tygan's the guy who was on the alien's side until he found out what was really going on), but Tygan never really had either the Vahlen style "Oh yeah, I did some hosed up poo poo." or the "Wait. See this poo poo? This is why I quit. I get that we're desperate, but is this the angle we're going with?" you'd want for someone who's rebelling on purely moral grounds.

Lilly and Bradford both have their angles explored, Tygan's... isn't.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

We need a DLC where Tygan joins in on a mission as a badass psionic user.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

We need a DLC where Tygan joins in on a mission as a badass psionic user.

Jade was streaming Shen's Last Gift one night and someone brought up Tygan being potentially the star of a DLC. My response was:

"Tygan should show up on a mission in a doctor octopus like exo suit or that thing out of the Alien movie and be like 'COMMANDER! I COULD NOT HAVE PREDICTED HOW BADASS I AM, IT IS INTRIGUING."

e. Tygan vs. Vahlen in a psionic duel would kind of make the year for me though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, XCOM 1, everyone had a good niche. Shen was the science grandpa who worried about the Moral Implications. Vahlen was the madwoman who put "vivisection" as one of her interests on her online dating profile, and Bradford was the idiot you all rolled your eyes at. Here, I can see the intended dynamic (Shen's the new generation, Bradford's the tired veteran, and Tygan's the guy who was on the alien's side until he found out what was really going on), but Tygan never really had either the Vahlen style "Oh yeah, I did some hosed up poo poo." or the "Wait. See this poo poo? This is why I quit. I get that we're desperate, but is this the angle we're going with?" you'd want for someone who's rebelling on purely moral grounds.

Lilly and Bradford both have their angles explored, Tygan's... isn't.

I never got the "Vahlen is a sociopathic war criminal" meme from her. She came across to me as being as close to perpetually excited as a middle-aged German woman can be, only occasionally stopping to chastise herself at all these scientific and technological wonders being possible only because people are dying. I found her the eternal optimist of the Enemy Unknown cast, contrasting with the dour and pessimistic Shen and the pragmatic, task-focused Bradford.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cythereal posted:

I never got the "Vahlen is a sociopathic war criminal" meme from her. She came across to me as being as close to perpetually excited as a middle-aged German woman can be, only occasionally stopping to chastise herself at all these scientific and technological wonders being possible only because people are dying. I found her the eternal optimist of the Enemy Unknown cast, contrasting with the dour and pessimistic Shen and the pragmatic, task-focused Bradford.

It's not really a meme so much as acknowledged in-game that she had zero qualms about torture and interrogation of alien prisoners.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Brainamp posted:

It's not really a meme so much as acknowledged in-game that she had zero qualms about torture and interrogation of alien prisoners.

Look,. it's not like they're PEOPLE.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That also folded into the meme about her being the one who chops of the limbs for Mec-ing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kurieg posted:

That also folded into the meme about her being the one who chops of the limbs for Mec-ing.

She's just revealing their True Flesh.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Brainamp posted:

If you sit around on the between-missions strategic view of XCOM2, one of the flavor text lines that pops up is actually Tygan alluding to this, saying something to the effect of his predecessor never having a problem getting down and dirty.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My favorite line of Tygans is the one about him being poo poo at actual therapeutic medicine so he's glad you send him a steady stream of corpses to practice on.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Yay, Bradford's back.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
Yeah! it has Started.

The Cutscenes are great, especially compared to the First one, but i was A bit bothered by the POW shots in the beginning, first, like someone said, it looks like thy are digging the Chip in the back of your head out, THROUGH YOUR FACE.
Second, the moment the face plate comes of, Bradford is up your Grill, staring down at you, without so much as a chime from Tygan.
I can only Imagine Dr. Vahlen would cut his Balls of if he tried that with her in the Room.

and then you get Shoved into action, without a Shower or even Coffee, we all know who the true war Criminals are, at this point.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

My Jane Kelly died on her first mission, when I had no idea what I was doing. I haven't played the tutorial since so I have no Jane Kelly stories. :(

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014
OK, so it's a tutorial mission - but it's a very clever tutorial that gets a lot done, both in terms of teaching you stuff and plot. I think using a grenade to make a door was a particularly nice touch.

Apart from what we're explicitly told, we also learned that:

• Full cover is decent.
  • Half cover is a good way to get killed.
  • No cover is a very good way to get killed.
  • Bradford's still a badass.

It's a little bit sad to hear Jane Kelly will be retired. AssaultsRangers are the heroes of the early game, and losing a high -level one is going to hurt.

Also, the first three goons are here for the first real mission. Cain and Margottini appear to be under the impression that this is a serious military organization. Mr Lobster knows what it's all about.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

JAIDS has already struck during a stream tonight. No telling how this will affect the LP.

:suicide:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Lunethex posted:

JAIDS has already struck during a stream tonight. No telling how this will affect the LP.

:suicide:

Jaids. Jaids never changes.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Cythereal posted:

Yup, that comes up in the prequel book, Resurrection. After XCOM fell, Bradford stumbled off into the wilderness and transitioned into a successful career in the field of "being a crazy mountain man".

Also of note, XCOM shot down a whole two UFOs during their brief existence. Given most of us were shooting down at least one a week, they deserved to get pubstomped.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yup, that comes up in the prequel book, Resurrection. After XCOM fell, Bradford stumbled off into the wilderness and transitioned into a successful career in the field of "being a crazy mountain man".

Also of note, XCOM shot down a whole two UFOs during their brief existence. Given most of us were shooting down at least one a week, they deserved to get pubstomped.

Serious question, is the Book a good read?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Lunethex posted:

e. Tygan vs. Vahlen in a psionic duel would kind of make the year for me though.

Brainamp posted:

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Haikus can be fun.
But they don't always make sense.
Refrigerator.

Seriously though really looking forward to the LP. I never managed to get very far into it, but I might need to start a new game and play along with the LP and see if I can keep my rebellion alive this time around.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Kasrkin posted:

Serious question, is the Book a good read?

It's not terrible, but it's not likely to rocket to the top of your favourites either. It killed time during lunch breaks at work, which, really, was all I was asking for. It's probably on a par with the Bioshock tie-in - does decent service to the source material, but not mandatory reading. It does accurately reflect an average game of XCOM though, in that characters tend to die at the drop of a hat. I had a good laugh once I realised that. At the end of the day, it's a tie-in book, so adjust your expectations accordingly, but if you see it cheap, you could do worse.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

On the other hand, they took down a supply barge with nothing but ravens and missiles so good on them - that's what the Avenger is, a refitted supply barge.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's not terrible, but it's not likely to rocket to the top of your favourites either. It killed time during lunch breaks at work, which, really, was all I was asking for. It's probably on a par with the Bioshock tie-in - does decent service to the source material, but not mandatory reading. It does accurately reflect an average game of XCOM though, in that characters tend to die at the drop of a hat. I had a good laugh once I realised that. At the end of the day, it's a tie-in book, so adjust your expectations accordingly, but if you see it cheap, you could do worse.

The book also talks about contagion zones, which I think one or two events in this game can refer to. They're something weird, spooky, and has even ADVENT and the aliens creeped.

Delirare
Sep 27, 2015

Rick_Hunter posted:

Apparently. He's the 'Advent Speaker' which I assume is the Thin Man on the TV.

Those spots down his side remind me of Star Trek. Oh, what was that race called during DS9?

Also, those surgical tools give me the shivers.

Mandibles are fun
CHOP CHOP NOM all through your head
Commander's fine now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Delirare posted:

Those spots down his side remind me of Star Trek. Oh, what was that race called during DS9?

Also, those surgical tools give me the shivers.

Mandibles are fun
CHOP CHOP NOM all through your head
Commander's fine now

That would be the Trill. :pseudo:

• Locked thread