Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

sleepwalkers posted:

What I quoted said iOS would "nag the gently caress out of you" if WiFi is off. I'm assuming that's the popups to join a network, which'll stop if that's toggled.

Yeah, there's this one:

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It also prompts you about location services being improved if you turn your wifi back on, for example when you open the camera. I assume that's part of the nagging, it is kind of annoying.

and also one that appears every time you turn on Personal Hotspot. There's probably one or two others I'm forgetting, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Question Mark Mound posted:

It took me a few days after installing iOS 10 to notice the dots below the control centre, looks like you can swipe that to get back the media controls that were taken away from it!

Speaking of Control Center, why is Night Shift still its own weirdly huge button and not a toggle like all the rest of them.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I did not care at all about 3D touch and barely used it. But then I discovered that by pressing on the left edge of the screen it opens the app switcher. And that is awesome.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yep, I almost never double-tap home anymore.

I use 3D Touch app shortcuts quite a bit (I use Safari->New Tab all the goddamn time, also things like new Tweets or Instagram/Facebook posts...). Anything that makes my phone quicker and easier to use I say is a welcome addition.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My SE's home button has started feeling "mushy," for lack of a better term (basically it has a much less defined click to it). Is this a common issue with the SE/5s body? Still responds to all my presses, but I'm wondering if there could be problems down the road.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well it's a mechanical thing and you press it a billion times day, it's gonna wear out.

I've never had a home button stop working but I'm sure at some point they can fail.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

~Coxy posted:

Speaking of Control Center, why is Night Shift still its own weirdly huge button and not a toggle like all the rest of them.

Beats me. It also feels like the kind of thing I'm going to set once then leave it alone. Another row of icons would be useful, and have things like Calendar and Maps there which would let me dedicate my first page to some more non-stock apps.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

My SE's home button has started feeling "mushy," for lack of a better term (basically it has a much less defined click to it). Is this a common issue with the SE/5s body? Still responds to all my presses, but I'm wondering if there could be problems down the road.

I had one 5S that was real mushy like that as soon as I bought it. Drove me mad. It Also got condensation under the camera lens without tripping any moisture indicators a couple of months later. I mentioned the home button when I swapped it out and the guy told me that they would have done a replacement for that since it's "not spec" or something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

Not a common issue.

Not sure if Apple would deem it defective, but I would take it by if you feel it's a big difference.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
They'd probably swap it out. Is that a front replacement or whole phone replacement?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Home button is usually just a display replacement.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It took me a few days after installing iOS 10 to notice the dots below the control centre, looks like you can swipe that to get back the media controls that were taken away from it!

It's nice because it stays on whatever control panel screen you're on. So if you swipe up, and go over to music controls, the next time you swipe up, you still get music controls.

On another note, I have no idea why Apple can't figure out their loving Clock/Alarms in the year 2016:

I couldn't dismiss the notification until I rebooted.

And yes I've filed a million issues through their tool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Beta software is buggy, you say? Tell me more!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Endless Mike posted:

Beta software is buggy, you say? Tell me more!

loving CRAPPLE! :argh:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Jesus christ apple two factor authentication is so godawful. Seriously, I am getting a round robbin of messages on my iPhones and iPads every hour or so. I don't even know what the gently caress they are authenticating for, just more stupid messages. How can a simple idea be so poorly implemented.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Could be worse.. they could do what Steam did and throw up a giant "GOTTA VERIFY YOUR EMAIL!!" banner every couple months that requires you to wait for a code to show up and type it in.

No one seems to realize if you make authentication a pain in the rear end, people are just going to go back to using password123 for everything.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

xzzy posted:

Could be worse.. they could do what Steam did and throw up a giant "GOTTA VERIFY YOUR EMAIL!!" banner every couple months that requires you to wait for a code to show up and type it in.

No one seems to realize if you make authentication a pain in the rear end, people are just going to go back to using password123 for everything.

I shut it off because I can't live with getting random message from any idevice laying around. I understand if I was using them to buy apps, but they are literally doing nothing except going off constantly. With outlook and gmail they seem to have the concept down, not sure why the hell it has to be so complicated.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've never really understood the 'somebody logged into your iCloud via a browser' email when the person logging in can probably delete it before it hits a device.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's why you put in more than one email address.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah don't think I've ever noticed that option, will have to change that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I switched to the "new" two factor auth after reading some article a few days ago, and now my phone doesn't even pop up the security code and I have to manually generate one in settings. So that's pretty great. Luckily you don't really have to auth that often.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

While I don't use them every single day, my current iPhone headphones are from when I bought my 5 around 3 and a half years ago and have survived going through the laundry several times, being used in bed lots, and generally living life as a ball in my shorts as I walk around. I feel like they should be donated to a museum for being the most indestructible apple headphones ever made, beating the last record of 6 months before either the rubber started messing up on one of the sides, or one of the channels dropping out constantly for no obvious reason.

I think they're the only pair of EarPods or whatever the 'new' type are called I've ever had. I sold the ones from my 6 to my friend as I'd never needed them.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
On the other hand, my EarPods break every 6 months or so, but I keep buying them because they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever had. I keep them neatly wrapped up with a cable tidy clip and put them in a pocket with nothing else to crush them.

Looking into buying some kind of headphone strengthener thing because I think it's cable damage at the base that's causing it to keep acting as though it's pressing or holding the play/pause button.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I lost my EarPods.

I bought NAD HP50s for iPhone-compatible high-quality headphones while in the office or on the go with a bag. https://www.amazon.com/NAD-Electronics-NADNADHP50BLK-VISO-Black/dp/B00E1UVXHO
The HP50s are powered perfectly fine by the iPhone 5 and iPhone 6S in my usage, loud enough to hurt at full volume (and I have bad hearing because I spent my youth dancing on nightclub speakers), and are considered by people who know more than me to be very good headphones. For me, I like the audio quality and the isolation - they're passive noise cancelling, if you can call it that, since I can't hear poo poo when I have them on. Perfect for the office or the train. They're closed, so no one can hear you either. Anyhow, they're iPhone compatible and have a nice mic. The rocker switch is a bit finnicky but eh. Cable's fully replaceable and can go on the left or right.

I also got Klipsch S4i (version 2) earbuds that you can just stick in your pocket. https://www.amazon.ca/Klipsch-IMAGE-S4i-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00264GYMG
Don't use them much anymore, but again, good mic, good sound. Just... good.

Neither are affiliate links. The S4is might be discontinued.

My point is: EarPods are decent headphones, if you're buying an iPhone and getting them for free anyway. But, if you want something better... Get something better!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

S4i's have been discontinued and replaced with R6i's. Having used both, I can't really tell a difference in sound quality. They're very comfortable to me but that's s personal thing and I find Earpods to be unwearable for more than an hour.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bought some "hidden gem" earbuds that were kind of a thing around the internet last fall, lots of accusations that the design was stolen by a chinese manufacturer that was making components for a higher end headphone company. They sound good.. I guess?

My biggest motivation for getting a new set is I wanted those rubber flange things that stick into your ear canal.. completely isolated, and don't fall out of my ears constantly like the apple buds do.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If I add an iTunes gift card to my Apple ID, will that balance be used to pay for my monthly iCloud storage payments?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

GobiasIndustries posted:

If I add an iTunes gift card to my Apple ID, will that balance be used to pay for my monthly iCloud storage payments?

Yep. I reup on discounted iTunes gift cards when they come around 1-2 times a year.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bobfather posted:

Yep. I reup on discounted iTunes gift cards when they come around 1-2 times a year.

Perfect! I was just gifted a card and beyond my iCloud storage I don't have a ton of use for Apple money.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GobiasIndustries posted:

Perfect! I was just gifted a card and beyond my iCloud storage I don't have a ton of use for Apple money.

Pokemon coins.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Last week I watched a kid on a bike staring at his phone take a full speed right turn in my neighborhood without checking for traffic and almost get hit by the two cars that were going either way on said street. That is my Pokemon Go story.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RIP natural selection.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

On the other hand, my EarPods break every 6 months or so, but I keep buying them because they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever had. I keep them neatly wrapped up with a cable tidy clip and put them in a pocket with nothing else to crush them.

Looking into buying some kind of headphone strengthener thing because I think it's cable damage at the base that's causing it to keep acting as though it's pressing or holding the play/pause button.
I look forward to our AirPod overlords. I haven't broken any yet myself somehow, even though I have one set braided up into a short cable to use with a Bluetooth dongle. It's survived a marathon where I dumped water on my head and a 5K when it was raining. And general sweatiness when running otherwise.

I'd probably have bought whatever cheap Bluetooth earphones by now but don't really want in ear isolation...and gently caress micro USB for charging. Can't wait for USB-C to take over. Well USB-C and Lightning cause Apple, but whatever, still an improvement.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I have about 18,000 photos that are stored locally on my phone that I would like to wipe out. I have turned off iCloud photo library and Photo Stream, and the photos are still on my phone. I have tried going through and selecting them to delete them but they will not delete - the delete dialog box pops up and I confirm to delete them, but they don't actually delete.

Any ideas wtf I should do? This is taking up a large amount of space on my phone and I think it's due to an iCloud glitch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do you have a Mac? Connect the phone, load Imagr Capture, select all the images, and hit delete. Might be able to do something the phone isn't able to by itself.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do you have a Mac? Connect the phone, load Imagr Capture, select all the images, and hit delete. Might be able to do something the phone isn't able to by itself.

The delete button goes away when I click on any of the photos in Image Capture.

They show up in Photos on the Mac as if I can import them, so I am doing that and clicked to delete them after the import. We'll see if that does the trick.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So long as the battery drain isn't huge, I'd love Bluetooth EarPods so there's less cave to potentially break.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: iOS 9.3.3 is out! :siren:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206902

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1842?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Security and bug fixes.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I was having high Usage Time issues about a month ago, restoring to factory fixed it. Now it's come back... and it seems leaving Bluetooth on was the ultimate cause. It's weird, because the only thing I have regularly paired with my phone is my MacBook, which I haven't even used in a few days. No idea why I could get away with leaving the Bluetooth radio on for the past month, and only now does it decide to affect battery life, unless the driver is buggy in some way that keeps it pegged on under some certain circumstance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Oh man. I never noticed this on my own at all. That's cool.