Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
From my experience, most people will wait for cutscenes in dungeons because they're almost all <20 seconds long or so, with two big exceptions when you first hit level 50 that the devs quickly learned never to do again because new players were frequently either missing the dungeon or the story.

Thankfully, you've learned what the big purple line is on a boss that isn't difficult, could have been much worse :v:

Also, when you start re-running dungeons you've already done for EXP (either on this class or another one), you might want to find the option to skip cutscenes you've already seen, it's buried in one of the menus somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Is something up with the login servers? I've been sitting on a 603 person queue for about 45 minutes now. Im on Brynhildr if it matters.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Manyorcas posted:

From my experience, most people will wait for cutscenes in dungeons because they're almost all <20 seconds long or so, with two big exceptions when you first hit level 50 that the devs quickly learned never to do again because new players were frequently either missing the dungeon or the story.

Thankfully, you've learned what the big purple line is on a boss that isn't difficult, could have been much worse :v:

Also, when you start re-running dungeons you've already done for EXP (either on this class or another one), you might want to find the option to skip cutscenes you've already seen, it's buried in one of the menus somewhere.

Yeah, personally I saw all the cutscenes because people we're nice about it being my first time. The lvl50s I had awesome goons to let me see them. We did them unsyncd so that helped lol.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/320bbfe18d1109a140a35aed85fefacaf1d8ebf8

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Ah. Well, that would do it.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
After reading the discussions about debuffs here I decided to try tanking... I was having fun with healing but I think I would like something less sweaty. A job I can relax and faceroll sometimes and pld looked like it.

So far it's been ok. World pve with my chocobro is pretty fine even with the lack of aoe. My first run of sastasha on the other hand was pretty stressful, holding aggro was kinda tricky and unlike sch I was always out of mp (I just couldn't use the combo that gives mp or else I risked loosing aggro). I'm now considering if I'm really up for the grind to the level where holding aggro is not so frustrating or if I just go back to my lvl 47 sch and finish the grind to 49.

Life is really full of hard, hard choices...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

While some people will be difficult and always attack the wrong guy, it can help a lot at those levels to mark mobs to let people know what order to kill them in. You'll still need some AOE threat so you don't lose it to healers, but if the DPS focus the right guy it makes it a lot easier on you.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Martman posted:

While some people will be difficult and always attack the wrong guy, it can help a lot at those levels to mark mobs to let people know what order to kill them in. You'll still need some AOE threat so you don't lose it to healers, but if the DPS focus the right guy it makes it a lot easier on you.

Yeah I'll do that next time. As soon as I locate where the markers are in the menus...

Thanks

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I couldn't aoe in quarn at all today. The other blm and myself had to tone poo poo down till that tank dropped and another came in and could hold threat. It was the lvl35 one though, so sorta lower level.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

Especially if your tank is a dark knight. Be sure to use holy a lot for them, they'll thank you later.

:vd:

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Fister Roboto posted:

Or they could just not make dungeons with lengthy cutscenes in the middle of them.
Yes, replace all dungeon cutscenes with QTEs that provide buffs when completed successfully. :unsmigghh:

But, also, alert players to the option to turn off previously viewed cutscenes.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Fister Roboto posted:

Or they could just not make dungeons with lengthy cutscenes in the middle of them.

A lesson they took to heart, thankfully.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
The 200>210 relic quest is such a massive cock block. Who thought this was ok.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dastardly posted:

The 200>210 relic quest is such a massive cock block. Who thought this was ok.

It's so ridiculous compared with how easy they made getting an esoteric weapon and upgrading it, as well as the lore weapon.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
And with how easy it is for the next step, and even the eso grind for umbrite isn't as bad as that.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
The umbrite and crystal sand part is just way more straightforward and it's easy to have an understanding of how far along you are.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Finally someone besides me who's used that smiley :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pigbottom posted:

Yeah I'll do that next time. As soon as I locate where the markers are in the menus...

Thanks
I know it's either Ctrl-M or Alt-M if you haven't messed with your bindings, and the other one calls up the A/B/C waymarks.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Honest healer with the last name of Deathbringer in 50dr who couldn't even keep people alive with the tank baby pulling, ironic or apropos?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I want them to release a mount based on the original Amano Chocobo art. I'd even pay $20 for it in the cash shop

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Honest healer with the last name of Deathbringer in 50dr who couldn't even keep people alive with the tank baby pulling, ironic or apropos?

Prescient.

Hamsterlady posted:

I want them to release a mount based on the original Amano Chocobo art. I'd even pay $20 for it in the cash shop

Only if you sit on it like that.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Finally finished my relic, but because it's trivial to re-spec if it matters, I decided to have a little fun with it rather than going for pure optimization:

Reactions have been good.

Niton fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 16, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Niton posted:

Finally finished my relic, but decided to have a little fun with it rather than going for pure optimization:

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
why didn't you put up a trigger warning dude

General Morden fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 16, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

General Morden posted:

why didn't you up put a trigger warning dude

Fine, it was probably funnier that way to begin with :v:

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Niton posted:

Finally finished my relic, but because it's trivial to re-spec if it matters, I decided to have a little fun with it rather than going for pure optimization:

:commissar:

I feel lonely. :ohdear:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Servers still suuuuuuper hosed, I take it.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

After waiting for almost three hours and fifteen minutes, I managed to get into A3. I learned something. I can tank both hands with no problems (we accidentally left the warrior OT locked out :ssh:)

I want to reiterate how much I hate the unid grind. And thanks to those who came to my aid.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Niton posted:

I don't get it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

vOv posted:

I don't get it.

He wasted like 6 points out of 240. Spergs will flip out and idiots will call him dumb.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
gently caress, I'm an idiot, ignore this.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

vOv posted:

I don't get it.

So, if you go full crit/det, the stat caps mean that you will max out on those stats with 6 points left.

He then put the points into random-rear end poo poo to make people hold their head and question their sanity.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Idgi, was piety not available?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I decided to branch out of DPS for the first time and since swords are the coolest, I went with GLD. It's actually pretty fun tanking. It was an interesting shift to lead a dungeon. After all these months of playing NIN mostly, I'm kinda used to just following along and spamming Death Blossom or whatever. But as a tank, especially early level where I have basically no chance of keeping aggro against DPS that are synched down, I felt like I had to be on top of my game. My first time around I lucked into a party of guys that were totally understanding and encouraging. I know the player base can be awful sometimes, but that run made me smile. Nobody died! I wish I'd gotten some physical DPS though. In the two dungeons I ran, I had mages and an archer, so I could just do as I pleased. I want to get down positionals or rather help them ease into positionals. I guess once I try to become a PLD, I'll have to try healing. Sounds fun. Really, if you're reading this thread and kinda interested in the game, I say shoot. I had almost as much fun tanking as I do playing a dps and that kind of balance is hard to come by.

Also it was cool as poo poo to insta-queue.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In all honesty, tanks have some of the easiest jobs end-game. Sure they have to be able to position the enemy, grab adds, tank-swap if necessary and pop cooldowns, but they don't need to care a huge amount about doing stuff like dancing away from enemy patterns or carry meteors away from the raid or manage hate and do very little rotation optimizing.

Recent raids like Mhach are changing that at least. The slight flaw is that there isn't a huge barometer on how you know you're being an excellent tank - your job is to just hold hate, not push out pretty numbers or keep the party alive. As long as you're doing that, only the healer is really going to note how squishy you are.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Update on my newbie casual blind perma-group (all new to the game, and not reading any wikis or walkthroughs for group content)...

We're about a month in, and everyone is still having a blast. Everyone got their first jobs this week.

We ran Haukke Manor for the first time last night, and it's my favorite dungeon in the game so far. Had a close call on the last boss since we didn't know what to expect, but our Scholar pulled off a clutch combat res on our dead Black Mage and we got through on the first try.

I know all of you have done this stuff a million times, but going in blind with some buddies is an amazing experience (and one I never got in WoW, since it was always "read the Elitist Jerks walkthroughs and/or get dragged through content by guildmates").

Now if I could just get everyone to stop making fun of me when I tank with my Lalafell.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

WhiteHowler posted:

Now if I could just get everyone to stop making fun of me when I tank with my Lalafell.

If you're going to play lalfell, tanking is what you should do.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Wacky Delly posted:

If you're going to play lalfell, tanking is what you should do.

If you're going to play Lalafell, you should really consider whatever decisions you've made in your life that's led you to this point.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Lalafel are adorable little beans, and the only reason I play an elf is so I can be their giant protector. :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Putting water in a bucket in a normal game: Fill the bucket with water.

Putting water in a bucket in an MMO: Find the bucket. Put the bucket in the river. Put water from the river in the bucket. Pick up the bucket.

• Locked thread