Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Did anyone get an update link today?

Edit: Turns out it's the 14th today.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

From Tynan's twitter: Okay, bad news. Steam is refusing to publish the game. It just says "ERROR 2". So, I'm going to contact them and try to figure this out.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

At least it's not ERROR 1, 1 is bad.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Steam release is ago!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/294100/

:siren:EVERYONE GETS A STEAM KEY!:siren:

Although the ludeon studios site seems to be down right now.

VVVV :cool:

Spaseman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 15, 2016

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

^^^^ e:f;b

Game is now out on Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294100/

Existing owners will be able to get the game added to their Steam account via:

http://rimworldgame.com/getmygame/

Though have some patience, the site is a little overloaded right now!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grand, got my key and I'll figure out something to update the OP.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I'm tempted to buy this. I've been looking for a game like Banished but with an actual hook - Banished got stale because the villagers have no personality and you're just expanding a robot village for the sake of expanding it.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Trogdos! posted:

I'm tempted to buy this. I've been looking for a game like Banished but with an actual hook - Banished got stale because the villagers have no personality and you're just expanding a robot village for the sake of expanding it.

I didn't play much of Banished, but can say the villagers definitely have personality in Rimworld

The only thing is that Rimworld tends to be on the lower order of "villagers". You start with 3 pawns and most people will at most have a population of 6~ or so. Some people have got huge colonies of 20+ but this is more the exception then the rule, generally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you like personality then I would say the colony scale of Rimworld is an excellent pick, especially with the A13 improvements which I've yet to actually try out but which should further expand the room for storytelling in the game.

E^^^ I'm pretty sure you can mod the game to have more people, it's not really designed for it but you can certainly run larger colonies if your PC can handle it, the game doesn't break with more people it's just designed for 3 to about 10 at most, and the game rubberbands your opportunities to recruit based on that, but I'm sure you can mod that out if you want to.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
So excitingggggg.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How the gently caress is this one of the new animals.

Not as in, why was it added, why the gently caress are elephant-sized giant sloths a thing that actually existed.

Reality, stop loving inventing poo poo like this.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm super excited to try out the scenario system. One small peeve I had about the game is that you had a ton of resources just hanging around the crash site like cut wood, steel, etc, that I hope I can finally tweak. I know it was a convenience feature but my ~immersion~.
Between this and Monster Hunter my weekend is jam packed with gaming. Can't wait to get home!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
...can you only redeem your key in one place? I accidentally clicked the DRM-free link and now it won't give me my Steam key. :negative:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SettingSun posted:

I'm super excited to try out the scenario system. One small peeve I had about the game is that you had a ton of resources just hanging around the crash site like cut wood, steel, etc, that I hope I can finally tweak. I know it was a convenience feature but my ~immersion~.
Between this and Monster Hunter my weekend is jam packed with gaming. Can't wait to get home!

You totally can, as far as I can see stuff like that is entirely described in the scenario system so you can make it rain bionic limbs if you like, or have nothing at the start.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Oh man I tried a couple more times and it went through thank you based ludeon

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Just a reminder that this game is amazing.

edit - play this

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SettingSun posted:

Try the hard mode start on the workshop! One dude, no resources at all.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

OwlFancier posted:

If you like personality then I would say the colony scale of Rimworld is an excellent pick, especially with the A13 improvements which I've yet to actually try out but which should further expand the room for storytelling in the game.

E^^^ I'm pretty sure you can mod the game to have more people, it's not really designed for it but you can certainly run larger colonies if your PC can handle it, the game doesn't break with more people it's just designed for 3 to about 10 at most, and the game rubberbands your opportunities to recruit based on that, but I'm sure you can mod that out if you want to.

In the one video he put out a few days ago he showed that you could change the number of starting pawns, 10 in the case of his clown car example.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Well that's a fun bug. It decided my secondary vertical monitor is my primary one, so I can only get resolutions of the game that are taller than wide.

Edit: I did this to fix it.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 15, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Taerkar posted:

In the one video he put out a few days ago he showed that you could change the number of starting pawns, 10 in the case of his clown car example.

The only game mechanic thing that prevents large colonies iirc is the wanderer/escape pod events. After you get so many people those stop. To grow past the small-ish soft limit you need to capture and recruit. Someone on reddit had a post about a 120 sized colony.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/4av5lq/stories_from_a_120_pop_colony_part_1/

https://fat.gfycat.com/AnxiousFalseEmperorpenguin.webm

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Rimworld gave me a steam key! I bought the game way after that cutoff point I thought!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tenzarin posted:

Rimworld gave me a steam key! I bought the game way after that cutoff point I thought!

The cutoff point was just legalese because of how Valve works. Everyone who bought it is able to get a steam key I think.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I remember being sad when I looked it up and it sad that they had a cutoff date.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 15, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The only reason there was a cut-off date was because Steam doesn't allow you to sell Steam keys for games not on Steam.

Anyways, the new scenario setting is great.
I started with a rich explorer. His pet died in a raid, only because he was wandering around in a daze when a raid happened and didn't want to drop his charge rifle so the Marine prisoner I managed to get to join my colony couldn't use it. They instead charged the enemy with their shoddy weapons.

I thought that escape pod events could cause those colonists to join you. One had the lover of my starter guy, and after she was bandaged up she was free to go. I wanted her to join her rich explorer husband!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

I thought that escape pod events could cause those colonists to join you. One had the lover of my starter guy, and after she was bandaged up she was free to go. I wanted her to join her rich explorer husband!

No, you need to arrest them and recruit them. Although the recruit chance is pretty high for pod people.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MadJackMcJack posted:

No, you need to arrest them and recruit them. Although the recruit chance is pretty high for pod people.

Ok I wondered about this. I had a pod person show up and was like part of another village but was a wife of a colonist. They got rescued and healed and they just wandered right off the map.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I tried the rich explorer for my first game as well. My cat was eaten by a cougar and then my dude was injured in a cougar attack after trying to save the cat. Infection set in and it was my shortest game ever.

Going to try a two person start next I think. For some reason I thought this release was going to give you some "doctor on yourself" options, but if that got added, I couldn't see how it was supposed to work.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Can you start with beer (in the scenario editor)?

I need to know for... reasons.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The custom scenario let's you do pretty much whatever you want.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Internet Explorer posted:

The custom scenario let's you do pretty much whatever you want.

Pretty much. Want it to be toxic fallout all day every day? No problem!

About the only thing I didn't see was a way to say all male/female. So much for my dream of a planet with nothing but 18 year old lesbian cannibals.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
So version 14 basically incorporates the mod that let you design your people and start with whatever with unlimited function?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah the Italian Exploitation Film Planet.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Lunethex posted:

So version 14 basically incorporates the mod that let you design your people and start with whatever with unlimited function?

No. You can't do anything on a person to person level. I was thinking something similar to you at first, but once you've tried it, it's not the same thing as the Prepare Carefully mod. Some things (like adding guns or adding x number of food items or metal) are in there, but the best part for me of Prepare Carefully was setting initial characters with attributes and that isn't really in this.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

packetmantis posted:

...can you only redeem your key in one place? I accidentally clicked the DRM-free link and now it won't give me my Steam key. :negative:

I did this too but then I also did the Steam key thing and that also worked

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Since I can spawn in the scenario creator with beer, I will have 3 guys who go on an insane bender and somehow end up with a bunch of guns, two tigers, and a whole shitload of beer. They will start with maximum hangovers.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
Is there way to look at character stats while giving work priorities? It sucks having to close tabs all the time just to check one skill.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pr0phecy posted:

Is there way to look at character stats while giving work priorities? It sucks having to close tabs all the time just to check one skill.

If you hover over the box in the priority grid it should show you the number. The only exception is for hunting since it averages melee and ranged instead of showing the higher number

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

How the gently caress is this one of the new animals.

Not as in, why was it added, why the gently caress are elephant-sized giant sloths a thing that actually existed.

Reality, stop loving inventing poo poo like this.

this is in my temperate forest game

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Mods made checking stats easier.

Someone already made my hangover idea for a scenario. Also there are mods on the Workshop. CCL still needs to be installed manually because they say it has issues with the Steam Workshop. Probably because it includes non-standard mod files or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The most tragic modding news is that EdB is done and not updating anything for A14 :rip: