Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I have an ongoing Trek-based project, but it turns out I bit off a touch more than I'm used to chewing in attempting a Danger Patrol-style Adjective Noun character system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Wasn't someone in here working on something PbtA and based on Star Trek ? I skimmed back a few months in the thread and didn't see anything.

I just completed the first draft of a Star Wars X-Wing one... so pretty close?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Error 404 posted:

If its the one I'm thinking of it was back in the original aw thread, and it was a few pages of moves but nothing since then.

Or maybe you're thinking of Madadric's Impulse Drive? Which draws from a bunch of sci fi instead of star trek specifically.

I've been thinking about impulse drive and Star Trek recently, and while impulse drive could probably do the new movies ok, it couldn't do the core concepts of the tv series justice, particularly TNG. The core concepts of the stories and the protagonists' behaviours are too different.

Star Trek really wants to maximise on curiosity and diplomacy as a core concept, and really enforce episodic play, pulling on themes and ideas that let you build a Star Trek episode out of the MCs moves and tools.

In Impulse Drive news, I have a post in the recruitment thread for a 1 or 2 shot game over the next few weeks. Go check it out if you're curious about misfits and spaceships.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Might be referring to the game I was working on, I posted way back about it. The goal is to create a crew/ship based sci-fi game that let's you play in a Star Trek / Battlestar Galactica / Serenity / Star Wars / insert ensemble space opera here universe. Its a pretty big departure from some of the principles of Apocalypse World, as its absolutely a cooperative exploration game, with each character having a specific role, and the ship itself being something of its own character.

The main thing I wanted to do with the design is make moves that serve a double purpose in order to cut down drastically on the total number of moves in the game. I set up moves that have a function both in the character's role as part of the ship's crew as well as when they're outside of it, exploring on an away mission. So for example The Pilot has a move called Boldly Go which serves as a kind of escape maneuver in the ship, but also as a kind of rogue-ish get in and get out move when they're running around a space station or whatever. After that, I took it a bit further and basically banished Basic Moves. The way this was done was by narrowing down the essential game moves to 8, then creating 8 classes. Each of the classes has one of these essential moves, which is tied into their crew role, and any of the crew positions that are NOT being played by a PC becomes an NPC crew member with only that one essential move. The only moves not directly associated with a class are a set of 5 special ship moves.

This approach has some downsides, but the biggest upside by far is that you can actually play with a full crew of 8 players and its not completely overwhelming. With pretty rigid roles set, there's no stopping to figure out who should do what, it just flows naturally like an episode of Trek.

The other big departure was getting rid of attributes. I put the modifiers directly on the moves themselves. Each class has 6 moves, and you assign your modifiers directly to them. Since there were no more basic moves shared by classes, there was no reason for having str/dex/int etc. When the game does call for on-the-fly informal moves, the GM picks which modifier best applies.

The setting of the game is really malleable but its skewed towards being set at the moment humanity discovers interstellar travel on an old network of hyperspace lanes. So there's lots of exploration and science moves, and learning the biological or social quirks of the aliens you encounter factors largely into your survival.

I've run a few tests with people who haven't played many rpgs but who are huge sci-fi nerds, and its gone over well but it needs a lot more testing. If anyone is interested in trying it let me know and I'll send the PDFs. There's no GM guide yet unfortunately, but its also simpler in a lot of ways than a lot of other PBTA adaptations. Since my playgroup are not experienced pen and paper players, one of the major design goals was to make it really easy to pick up.

Name of the game is "Versus Universe", and the 8 classes are The Captain, The Commander, The Engineer, The Doctor, The Android, The Telepath, The Navigator, and The Pilot

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Might be referring to the game I was working on, I posted way back about it. The goal is to create a crew/ship based sci-fi game that let's you play in a Star Trek / Battlestar Galactica / Serenity / Star Wars / insert ensemble space opera here universe. Its a pretty big departure from some of the principles of Apocalypse World, as its absolutely a cooperative exploration game, with each character having a specific role, and the ship itself being something of its own character.

The main thing I wanted to do with the design is make moves that serve a double purpose in order to cut down drastically on the total number of moves in the game. I set up moves that have a function both in the character's role as part of the ship's crew as well as when they're outside of it, exploring on an away mission. So for example The Pilot has a move called Boldly Go which serves as a kind of escape maneuver in the ship, but also as a kind of rogue-ish get in and get out move when they're running around a space station or whatever. After that, I took it a bit further and basically banished Basic Moves. The way this was done was by narrowing down the essential game moves to 8, then creating 8 classes. Each of the classes has one of these essential moves, which is tied into their crew role, and any of the crew positions that are NOT being played by a PC becomes an NPC crew member with only that one essential move. The only moves not directly associated with a class are a set of 5 special ship moves.

This approach has some downsides, but the biggest upside by far is that you can actually play with a full crew of 8 players and its not completely overwhelming. With pretty rigid roles set, there's no stopping to figure out who should do what, it just flows naturally like an episode of Trek.

The other big departure was getting rid of attributes. I put the modifiers directly on the moves themselves. Each class has 6 moves, and you assign your modifiers directly to them. Since there were no more basic moves shared by classes, there was no reason for having str/dex/int etc. When the game does call for on-the-fly informal moves, the GM picks which modifier best applies.

The setting of the game is really malleable but its skewed towards being set at the moment humanity discovers interstellar travel on an old network of hyperspace lanes. So there's lots of exploration and science moves, and learning the biological or social quirks of the aliens you encounter factors largely into your survival.

I've run a few tests with people who haven't played many rpgs but who are huge sci-fi nerds, and its gone over well but it needs a lot more testing. If anyone is interested in trying it let me know and I'll send the PDFs. There's no GM guide yet unfortunately, but its also simpler in a lot of ways than a lot of other PBTA adaptations. Since my playgroup are not experienced pen and paper players, one of the major design goals was to make it really easy to pick up.

Name of the game is "Versus Universe", and the 8 classes are The Captain, The Commander, The Engineer, The Doctor, The Android, The Telepath, The Navigator, and The Pilot

I would love to look at this.
And if anyone wants to do pbp playtest I will Sisko that poo poo hard.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Error 404 posted:

I would love to look at this.
And if anyone wants to do pbp playtest I will Sisko that poo poo hard.

Thanks, I'll gather all the sheets into one doc, and throw in what fragments of the main rulebook I can, PM me an email and I'll get it to you in the next day or two. I'd be happy to run a pbp or roll 20 etc sometime

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I've been looking for something sci fi to drop in Wednesday's, how long does an average session run in your play tests?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I've been working on a Delta Green hack, would you all mind taking a look at it?

Foxtrot Orange, A Delta-Green Hack

I had a look when you were doing the recruit, and I think my first piece of advice is to redo the sanity meter, and by "redo" I mean steal from Unknown Armies, or from NEMESIS (which stole from Unknown Armies). NEMESIS's madness meters start on page 18 of that PDF.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

inklesspen posted:

I had a look when you were doing the recruit, and I think my first piece of advice is to redo the sanity meter, and by "redo" I mean steal from Unknown Armies, or from NEMESIS (which stole from Unknown Armies). NEMESIS's madness meters start on page 18 of that PDF.

Do you mean more of Sanity being reflexive across the 4 categories (violence, unnatural, self and helplessness)? I do like that. I'm a big fan of Stolze and ORE, and one of the DG guys worked on Nemesis. I read through those rules a while back with intentions of just running a TG recruit, maybe some of what's there can lend to what I'm trying to do.

I appreciate the feedback! I was going to touch up equipment and gear this weekend, I'll see about reworking sanity too. I'd love to hear any other ideas you might have.

Also bump, for the recruit. I still do want to give it a go if anyone is interested and would love to hear more thoughts on what I have so far.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I finally took some time today to look over my playtest notes and write the next draft of Friendship, Effort, Victory, my shonen battle manga apocalpyse world hack. You can find it here.

There have been a lot of changes:
  • I added a few new battle moves to make techniques work better
  • Redid the technique system to be more dynamic and interesting
  • Added in a Fate-scene-aspect style system to handle the enviroment of a fight
  • Split the playbooks into three: Friendship playbooks (why you fight), Effort playbooks (how you fight), and Victory playbooks (what allows you to grow)
  • Added in a few new playbooks
  • Removed +1 forwards from the game
  • Removed stats from the game and altered the tier system so you always essentially have +1 without stat system
  • Altered some moves for balance and fun

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Quick update:
  • Added some more team-centric options to ties to make them less antagonistic and more neutral (as in, you can use them to aid or harm)
  • Altered the 5- option for The Wanderer move for The Experienced to balance it better with The Head move (the moves are in a "choose one or the other" situation)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think the next step is a table of contents. This thing is massive.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

I think the next step is a table of contents. This thing is massive.

Alright, I added one in. It might look a little funny now, but it's got a table of contents and outline matches it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Quick update:
  • Added in three Effort Playbooks: Direct, Relentless, and Strategist

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Would I be right in saying that most hacks skew closer to AW than DW?

Covok
May 27, 2013

ShineDog posted:

Would I be right in saying that most hacks skew closer to AW than DW?

Yeah, generally. Only 2d6, 4-5 stats, only like 4-5 moves per playbook, harm-clock-like not HP, set damage not damage dice, etc.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I would really like a D&D-Fantasy-esque hack for AW that's closer to standard PbtA design than DW is, if that makes sense.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's always kind of weirded me out when there isn't a "defy danger" in there, just, you know, a generic use whatever stat is appropriate move. I've only played DW though.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's a lot of fairly polite arguments about whether to do that in a game. A lot of people say that it gets in the way of themes (In apocalypse world, the defy danger equivalent is more about keeping stable under pressure, so it's generally +cool unless you've got a move that changes it) and there's also balance issues sometimes with everyone having really good defence. If you're all badasses it's reasonable enough, but you always want things to gently caress up sometimes.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 12, 2016

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

megane posted:

I would really like a D&D-Fantasy-esque hack for AW that's closer to standard PbtA design than DW is, if that makes sense.

Fallen Empires is literally Vince doing this. Its not an official release, more of an experiment, but it does what you're looking for.

(ps. Run it, I'll play)

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

ShineDog posted:

It's always kind of weirded me out when there isn't a "defy danger" in there, just, you know, a generic use whatever stat is appropriate move. I've only played DW though.

Defy Danger really only makes sense in a game with D&D-style stats, which no other PbtA games has.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

admanb posted:

Defy Danger really only makes sense in a game with D&D-style stats, which no other PbtA games has.

And even then, allowing all stats for DD is not great from a play standpoint.

Imo, either leave it like act under fire, with one stat. Or give it a few stats as an option but not all, like Dex, Int, Wis

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Yeah. Most Defy Danger options are really just used as replacements for custom moves. Like using DD Con to handle poisons when you should just write a custom move for your poison.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

megane posted:

Error 404 posted:

Fallen Empires is literally Vince doing this. Its not an official release, more of an experiment, but it does what you're looking for.

(ps. Run it, I'll play)

Fallen Empires is here btw. It's vince baker's rebuild of the iconic AW playbooks as fantasy variants and it's pretty neat

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I did a similar thing for the Viking-themed games I ran at GenCon. Most of the playbooks port across more or less as-is, with very few modifications necessary. The one that needed the most work was the Driver. I thought about just making it someone on an awesome horse, but thematically I went with a boat. Which is all well and fine unless you never go to sea. So to balance this, the "Viking" is a little bit Driver and a little bit Chopper - he's got a boat and a small gang of unruly dudes. At sea, he is typically their undisputed leader. Once they hit shore, though, they tend to get their own ideas of how poo poo should go. This gives the playbook plenty to do on land and juxtaposes nicely with the Bandit (Chopper), whose gang is typically larger and mounted.

One of the ones that turned out the coolest was actually a re-work of the Macaluso; it's a Sharp-based playbook called "The Urchins" where you're actually playing a bunch of little kids. My regular players liked it so much that it's made several appearances in our standard AW games.

Other than that, just use different weapons and you're good to go. The AW rules themselves work great in a fantasy setting.

If people are interested in this re-skin, let me know and I'll find somewhere to host the playbooks.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

megane posted:

I've made a very small number of notes for a high fantasy PbtA game that I might work on when I finish Malleus.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'm looking to move a star wars campaign over to pbta.

There are a couple of somewhat unfinished star wars sets but it looks like a straight reskinning of dw is probably going to fit the best, mostly because I'm the most familiar with that one even if it's less popular.

Any suggestions as to how to handle the groups spaceship? Make it it's own character perhaps? I own uncharted worlds and I've got some issues with it and I'm not too sure how to mash things together for its spaceship stuff.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

ShineDog posted:

There are a couple of somewhat unfinished star wars sets but it looks like a straight reskinning of dw is probably going to fit the best, mostly because I'm the most familiar with that one even if it's less popular.

Any suggestions as to how to handle the groups spaceship? Make it it's own character perhaps? I own uncharted worlds and I've got some issues with it and I'm not too sure how to mash things together for its spaceship stuff.
One thing you could do is grab Inverse World. It has an emphasis on travel that could be useful for a spaceship game. It also has a few playbooks that could work (Lantern being the obvious one).

On the other hand, unless you're willing to put in a bunch of work to find custom playbooks to fit your group or roll your own, I'd honestly advise against DW as a stand-in.

PbtA games live and die by how well their moves emulate the genre and fictional conventions you're shooting for, and Dungeon World isn't really all that great outside of spelunking in dangerous dungeons, despite its popularity.

If you guys aren't opposed to some tactical combat maybe look into Strike!. Or even if you are, the combat junk is completely optional. It takes a lot of cues from PbtA, and even has an official hack of the SW setting in the back of the book.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
We've actually just come out of a strike campaign. I thoroughly enjoyed it but it was definately played out when we finished. I wasn't aware of the sw hack though.

We've tried fate (group bounced off it, the weird action chains to succeed at stuff felt very artificial) and ff's swrpg (bounced off for many reasons) but I'd like to stick with the setting, so pbta is something that has been tried and enjoyed previously.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
What ever happened to that Kill Six Billion Demons rpg?? I seem to remember the author coming in here for advice and told his hack needed a lot of work and then nothing's really come of it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
He released the test version for his $10/month Patreon subscribers, presumably issuing updates too.

quote:

Pledge $10 or more per month
114 patrons
Get all of the above, I'll give you early access to bits of the setting bible as it gets made. This could be stuff like lore cards. In addition, I'll give you access to play test copies of the RPG as it gets made.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
D-World has more mechanical teeth than AW, but all those teeth come from upholding awkward D&D sacred cows. Defy Danger, for instance, is a kludge between Act Under Fire and Fort/Ref/Will saves. Damage dice don't work with the way harm as established does in PbtA games. It's hard to justify the existence of the five stats in AW already: porting in the weak sisters of Con and Cha was asking for trouble.

On fantasy world: didn't Ewen bang out a really quick AW fantasy hack based around 90s fantasy anime like Slayers?

Also, I've been dicking around with an organization/downtime set of Moves to port into other systems; the broad narrative nature of Moves works really well when you need to generate plot seeds on the macro level without getting bogged down in minutiae.

Covok
May 27, 2013

MadRhetoric posted:

On fantasy world: didn't Ewen bang out a really quick AW fantasy hack based around 90s fantasy anime?

Yes, he did. It's went through a few versions and going into kickstarter soon.

This is the last public release and it's two years out-of-date.

I played it once and it was fun.

Covok fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 13, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Error 404 posted:

(ps. Run it, I'll play)

I've decided to give it a go.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783072

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

mllaneza posted:

Wasn't someone in here working on something PbtA and based on Star Trek ? I skimmed back a few months in the thread and didn't see anything.

I know I was working on something like that a while ago, but I had to put it aside due to real life complications. I'd finished a rough first draft, and I was thinking about picking it up again, polishing it a bit, once my life settles down a bit.

The only bit that I felt particularly proud of was the part where striking to stop or discourage was a different move than striking to kill or destroy. That felt very 'Star Trek' - that killing is NOT something they automatically try to do.

FrozenGoldfishGod fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 13, 2016

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

ShineDog posted:

Impulse Drive isn't strictly Star Wars, but it certainly hits some of the same notes as Star Wars, a few of the archetypes are very close ti SW archetypes.

The Scoundrel is Han Solo
The Mystic is pretty much a Jedi
The Tempest is pretty much a Sith or dark Jedi
The Hound is a bounty hunter
The Outsider could fit as the furry co-pilot
The Intellect can be played as the smartass astronavigational robot and it's multilingual protocol robot pal

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

ShineDog posted:

There was a literal "Star Wars World" AW hack out there by Andrew Medeiros, we ran it for 5 sessions as a group and I thought it jived pretty well. The rules are up on their G+ Community: Star Wars World

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm trying to setup a PBP playtest of the revised 8th draft of Friendship, Effort, Victory, my Shonen battle comics pbta hack. If you're interested, any help is appreciated.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Posted an App. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
So I'm working on a hack and I was wondering if there was any written guides somewhere which help with writing an agenda? I have most of the mechanics planned out, but the agenda I'm finding is the hardest thing to write. I have the basics down like "make sure everyone (including yourself) has fun", "explore these themes", so on and so forth, but I was hoping for some solid advice on how to optimize and make my GM's agenda better.