Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd be more befuddled as to how Phi and Delta kept their names after being sent back in time. It's not like they had name tags on them.

uh... did you zone out during the scene they get born

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Lord Ephraim posted:

Was there really any significance for Delta/Zero to kill Gab? I mean come on. It's like they decided "you know who hasn't died so far in the game? The dog. We need to fix that."

Maybe so that when it came time for them to decide on whether or not to SHIFT, the problem of having to leave Gab behind to die wouldn't interfere? That's about all I can come up with.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd be more befuddled as to how Phi and Delta kept their names after being sent back in time. It's not like they had name tags on them.

They did. They wrote the names on their feet.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

reading that thread and I love seeing all the things people are pointing out that I completely loving missed. This one's my current favorite:

RhiaWolfe posted:

Also, if you remember from 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors, the last door wouldn't open for Ace because he was trying to use Clover and Junpei's bracelets to open the number 9 door. It was then revealed, that it wasn't actually a 9, it was a q and so the hexidecimal system was used for which bracelets would open the door.
It's not too far fetched for Q to be another reference for the number 9. Even, if Q isn't referencing kyuu in Japanese, it may be a throwback to the game's roots.

:stare:

Indigo Cephalopods fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 16, 2016

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

reading that thread and I love seeing all the things people are pointing out that I completely loving missed. This one's my current favorite:

I figured there was something up with Q's name, since the Q door gets a callback in VLR too (and Junpei's reaction to it is one of my favourite things in that game).

I also guessed from the "self" X-Pass and the lack of a portrait on the status screen that the player was playing as Q the whole time, which turned out to be... about half-right, I guess? I was still completely off base about who Q actually was, of course -- right up until the reveal I thought that Delta was somehow Eric.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I got that Sean wasn't exactly a normal boy wearing a helmet when he picked up the Force Quit box and shook it like it was nothing when Sigma could barely move it.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Thuryl posted:

right up until the reveal I thought that Delta was somehow Eric.

On a similar note: Up until the end when the reveal of Delta and such, I was really starting to think that Eric was going to be Brother. All the talk of his little brother and his backstory about his abusive dad and just how hosed up he is in most of the timelines, y'know?

Honestly I'd really rather that had been the case, cuz the way the whole Brother plotline was closed up in this game really bugs me. I don't like taking "misanthropic cult leader able to influence thousands of people" became "Chaotic Neutral Super-Psychic".

Also on the subject of Brother, I especially appreciate how Left, a character with significant role in the whole FtS plotline, was basically minimized to barely anything in this game. Really it's just the same above-mentioned bitterness over Free the Soul being changed from a misanthropic cult to just a bunch of hooey Delta made up to keep the timelines correct for the Decision Game.

Don't get me wrong I liked the game and think it's a pretty satisfactory ending to the trilogy but there's a number of ways in which i find it falling flat

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

On a similar note: Up until the end when the reveal of Delta and such, I was really starting to think that Eric was going to be Brother. All the talk of his little brother and his backstory about his abusive dad and just how hosed up he is in most of the timelines, y'know?

Honestly I'd really rather that had been the case, cuz the way the whole Brother plotline was closed up in this game really bugs me. I don't like taking "misanthropic cult leader able to influence thousands of people" became "Chaotic Neutral Super-Psychic".

Also on the subject of Brother, I especially appreciate how Left, a character with significant role in the whole FtS plotline, was basically minimized to barely anything in this game. Really it's just the same above-mentioned bitterness over Free the Soul being changed from a misanthropic cult to just a bunch of hooey Delta made up to keep the timelines correct for the Decision Game.

Don't get me wrong I liked the game and think it's a pretty satisfactory ending to the trilogy but there's a number of ways in which i find it falling flat

I thought Sean was somehow Chris, Eric's brother, that had been revived and experimented on. After all, Eric said his brother would have been around the same age as Sean and given that Sean's helmet had a password lock and how terrible Eric was treating him, I thought at some point, Sean would take off his helmet and reveal the face of Eric's poor dead bro.

Regarding Delta and Free the Soul, I don't think his cult was totally bullshit to him. He didn't reveal all of his motives for this whole thing either. Remember when Delta as Zero told Akane to come, wear cult robes and perform a ceremony after she escaped the shelter? What was that all about? Was it just a lark? Something humiliating for him to force her to do given that she hates his guts? Clearly, the way he treated and talked about people shows that he really did hate humanity and like I said before, I don't really think he tried that hard to come up with alternate solutions to solving the whole terrorist nuclear apocalypse with Radical-6. I dunno. I do agree with you that something is left unexplained here and I do wish they did more stuff with Delta's role in Free the Soul.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Lareine posted:

Regarding Delta and Free the Soul, I don't think his cult was totally bullshit to him. He didn't reveal all of his motives for this whole thing either. Remember when Delta as Zero told Akane to come, wear cult robes and perform a ceremony after she escaped the shelter? What was that all about? Was it just a lark? Something humiliating for him to force her to do given that she hates his guts? Clearly, the way he treated and talked about people shows that he really did hate humanity and like I said before, I don't really think he tried that hard to come up with alternate solutions to solving the whole terrorist nuclear apocalypse with Radical-6. I dunno. I do agree with you that something is left unexplained here and I do wish they did more stuff with Delta's role in Free the Soul.

The robes were to tie up another loose end from VLR - in the epilogue, when you wake up back in Young Sigma's newly-augmented body, Akane has just returned from the meeting.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Lareine posted:

I thought Sean was somehow Chris, Eric's brother, that had been revived and experimented on. After all, Eric said his brother would have been around the same age as Sean and given that Sean's helmet had a password lock and how terrible Eric was treating him, I thought at some point, Sean would take off his helmet and reveal the face of Eric's poor dead bro.

I feel like what they might have wanted to do with Delta was have him be that misanthropic rear end in a top hat underneath his "I'm doing this mostly on a whim" demeanor, and have that be revealed in a climactic moment, but that moment never came.

Honestly I think the main issue I have with the game is one that isn't entirely the developers' fault: That they just weren't able to do with this game what they went into development wanting to do. Like I've been hearing that the fact that this game was this close to not even getting made but demand from fans was great enough that they were able to get the okay. I think that in the end, they just didn't have enough time/money/support to do all the things they had originally wanted to do, and a lot of plot threads were tied off in super simple, rather bland ways; Or they were just dropped entirely (The fates of the other 999 characters, Kyle Klim and "?", etc.)

In my mind it's a very similar situation to MGS V. An end to a series for which the developer had a lot of interesting plans that never made it to the released game due to real world problems not allowing for it.

At least Zero Time Dilemma is able to feel like a complete game and gives something of a satisfactory ending to its series.

Gato posted:

The robes were to tie up another loose end from VLR - in the epilogue, when you wake up back in Young Sigma's newly-augmented body, Akane has just returned from the meeting.

Just a bit ago I was thinking about how the robes have shown up in every game to establish Free The Soul's connection to each game and I realized something that gets a chuckle out of me.

This thread would really be more aptly titled "Delta's Wild Ride" if not for it being y'know spoilers right in the thread title. With the reveal that Delta is Brother and that he invited Akane to come to the FtS meeting right before the final scene of VLR, it becomes apparent that while Akane is directly responsible for the events of 999 and VLR, Delta is the one who's actually behind the events of the entire series.

He creates Free The Soul, who are hinted to have influenced Hongou's decision to create the Nonary Game, and also gets Akane to come to the FtS meeting which presumably plays a pivotal role in the lead-up to the AB Project. In the end, Delta has been the one pulling all the strings since the absolute beginning in order to create the timeline which leads to the Decision Game, ensuring his existence and also creating the most interesting timelines with the most dramatic consequences.

Zero was the snail all along (probably both literally and figuratively)

Indigo Cephalopods fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 16, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Carlos had a good understanding of how timeline branching worked, stopping the decision game would give him a happy timeline but wouldn't save his friends. I'm kindof curious how he managed to sneak out of the pod since it was presumably under Delta's control at that stage.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Sadly, I think you may be right. I have a feeling they wanted to make it as big as VLR was with things like gold files and secrets but the logistics just didn't allow for it. Hell, they wanted this game to be made much earlier but were delayed in doing so. I think there was a rush to get something out just in case they get their project and budget snatched away again. Not saying this was slapped together though. They wrapped things up a lot neater than many other projects. It just makes me sad when people can't fulfill the entirety of their artistic vision due to practicalities.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I think the significance of Q is simply different in every game. In 999, it is a reference to "kyuu" or "九" (got to show off my IME skills :smug:).

In VLR, it is the 16th room, and Q is the 16ith letter (meaning A is the 0ith, which is how programmers generally count).

In ZTD dilemma, the significance is the an upside down lower case delta looks like a Q.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Zero Time Dilemma Spoiler Thread: It's no use. You were born a shitter.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lareine posted:

I got that Sean wasn't exactly a normal boy wearing a helmet when he picked up the Force Quit box and shook it like it was nothing when Sigma could barely move it.

That part didn't make me suspicious because I assumed there were 3 different boxes with different contents.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

they quite literally had name tags.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

U-DO Burger posted:

That part didn't make me suspicious because I assumed there were 3 different boxes with different contents.

I was messaging a friend of mine with my "weird suspicions list" after going through each vote and nothing else and my two questions were
"Why are the Force Quit Boxes so different? Sigma couldn't lift his and it was face-down, the kid lifted theirs no problem, and the one for C-team is face-up."
and
"Where is the 9th person from D-Com? They have no idea who this kid is, and there were 9 of them at D-com, so where's that last person?"

I guess I was onto stuff quicker than I expected.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Man, I just keep coming up with more questions. Remember Junpei's dismembered body? Did anybody notice that he was wearing a beige jumpsuit? Why? I mean, I guess they COULD'VE dressed up Junpei in a suit while he was asleep so when Mira came around to dismember him, Zero could use the parts in the Pantry puzzle room without immediately causing suspicion that "hey, this severed torso is wearing a black t-shirt and Junpei is wearing a black t-shirt and is also missing omg I think this is Junpei" among C-team. Then they get the shock of opening the freezer and surprise, Junpei's head.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Credit to reddit user Chairus_Awesomus for this

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

Credit to reddit user Chairus_Awesomus for this

I've been poking around the subreddit and it seems that some people are unhappy about the ending? Since you seem to be active there, could you summarize the main problems people are having with the ending? The only problem I have with it is that Delta's plans and actions don't exactly make complete sense but I'm willing to hand wave that away by saying Delta is an rear end in a top hat who likes people to suffer.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

because delta sucks, it barely answers anything from VLR, and most of delta's plan makes no sense

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
You could say the same about VLR's ending though, so I don't really mind this game's ending anymore than that one's. It wasn't a great sendoff for the series, but eh.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I mean it seems pretty clear that Uchikoshi wants to do a fourth game if he can, the entire ending felt like a sequel hook much like VLR's did.

Hopefully Chunsoft is willing to let him, considering they're porting everything to PC they seem to have some hope at least

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Danaru posted:

I mean it seems pretty clear that Uchikoshi wants to do a fourth game if he can, the entire ending felt like a sequel hook much like VLR's did.

Hopefully Chunsoft is willing to let him, considering they're porting everything to PC they seem to have some hope at least

You're exaggerating a bit. VLR's ending was literally "Tune in next time when we find out if Sigma and Phi succeeded! You won't want to miss this!" whereas ZTD was more like "There's a terrorist that will cause a nuclear holocaust in the future and the team is fired up about finding them. Wouldn't it be neat if we made a sequel that follows that?" The first one is compulsory if you want the complete story and the second is more of a suggestion or an idea. VLR was a non-ending while ZTD was an ending with a hook with sequel bait.

Mainly, my problem with the ending is the skimpy epilogues. You get a handful of files following some characters but I would've really liked some art. Some stills of Mira in orange, Akane in a wedding dress, maybe Carlos' sister. Don't leave it up to fans to make fanart for that.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Lareine posted:

I've been poking around the subreddit and it seems that some people are unhappy about the ending? Since you seem to be active there, could you summarize the main problems people are having with the ending? The only problem I have with it is that Delta's plans and actions don't exactly make complete sense but I'm willing to hand wave that away by saying Delta is an rear end in a top hat who likes people to suffer.

The main problem the subreddit generally has is that it drops stuff from VLR, like ?/Kyle, the fact that Delta was Brother, and the entire plan Delta made. So basically what Cake Attack said.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

MegaZeroX posted:

In ZTD dilemma, the significance is the an upside down lower case delta looks like a Q.

I may not be remembering perfectly but the alien card with a value of 0 also resembles a lowercase delta turned 90 degrees.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

The main problem the subreddit generally has is that it drops stuff from VLR, like ?/Kyle, the fact that Delta was Brother, and the entire plan Delta made. So basically what Cake Attack said.

I wouldn't really care about Kyle as he comes off as a redundancy to me anyway but I guess Uchikoshi promised he would expand on that and he didn't.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I was really disappointed in how little Free the Soul, Brother and Left played into anything. Delta feels like a completely different character than the one we hear bits and pieces about in VLR, Free the Soul might as well not exist given that the plot seems to entirely be Delta's doing alone, and it's ridiculous to me that even though Left was such a driving force behind Brother's actions to the point that he cloned him, Delta doesn't even mention his beloved brother once in the entire game. The lack of mystery around Radical 6 was also really disappointing given how central it was to VLR. Everyone assumed it would have a huge focus in the third game, and we'd learn how and why it came into being, how people in the shelter got contaminated by it, and how Sigma and the others would eventually prevent it from spreading outside of the shelter. Instead it's just a vial in one room that Zero tells Q Team to inject themselves with and that's it, a mcguffin that only shows up long enough to tie into VLR's timeline. The entire point of VLR was to awaken the shifting abilities in Sigma and Phi, but then they basically do nothing for the entire plot and weren't necessary at all. Also the whole thing with Kyle and ? who were supposed to be important parts of the plot.

I did enjoy Zero Time Dilemma but it doesn't feel like the logical follow-up to VLR at all.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 16, 2016

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I was really disappointed in how little Free the Soul, Brother and Left played into anything. Delta feels like a completely different character than the one we hear bits and pieces about in VLR, Free the Soul might as well not exist given that the plot seems to entirely be Delta's doing alone, and it's ridiculous to me that even though Left was such a driving force behind Brother's actions to the point that he cloned him, Delta doesn't even mention his beloved brother once in the entire game. The lack of mystery around Radical 6 was also really disappointing given how central it was to VLR. Everyone assumed it would have a huge focus in the third game, and we'd learn how and why it came into being, how people in the shelter got contaminated by it, and how Sigma and the others would eventually prevent it from spreading outside of the shelter. Instead it's just a vial in one room that Zero tells Q Team to inject themselves with and that's it, a mcguffin that only shows up long enough to tie into VLR's timeline. The entire point of VLR was to awaken the shifting abilities in Sigma and Phi, but then they basically do nothing for the entire plot and weren't necessary at all. Also the whole thing with Kyle and ? who were supposed to be important parts of the plot.

I did enjoy Zero Time Dilemma but it doesn't feel like the logical follow-up to VLR at all.

Yeah, you would think that Delta would have introduced more Radical-6 around if that was his main plan but it was only introduced in a small fraction of the timelines. In the others, he seems content in just tormenting people and allowing the history where unknown terrorist is permitted to carry out his plans. Which implies heavily that saving as many people in as many timelines as he can is not a goal of his.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

13/f/cali posted:

I may not be remembering perfectly but the alien card with a value of 0 also resembles a lowercase delta turned 90 degrees.

Eh, not really. You can see it in this video at 7:49 on the bottom right. It is definately a wind symbol, and has a portion that definitely prevents it from being a rotated Delta or Q symbol. Though, if I remember correctly, it was on Zero's study's final safe, so if the symbol has some other importance, it would be interesting.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 16, 2016

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Yeah, looking at it again it only bears a passing resemblance.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Delta doesn't even mention his beloved brother once in the entire game.

Doesn't he though? I could've sworn somebody brings up Left and Delta's like "That...was my adoptive brother, yes."

I mean it was immediately dropped and never mentioned again after that, but still.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The way he completely brushes it off was absurd.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
VLR has a better ending than ZTD.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That would require VLR to have an ending.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It's a good thing it does.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Beginning or End?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the end is the beginning is the end

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

The beginning is the end