Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ankle
Oct 30, 2010

Before release I thought I would have a really hard time choosing what weapon to play because they all seemed so good and cool, but actually, Aerial Greatsword is the best weapon ever and there is no reason for me to play anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I am admittedly a scrub and never quite made it to G-rank but as far as I managed to progress in 4U, being able to mount monsters felt like a real gamechanger and was almost always totally worth whatever wall-climbing bullshit was necessary to pull it off. Is it just as effective in Gen or has it been toned down a little? I'm still very early in but I'm messing around with Aerial Style and it's kind of blowing my mind being able to vault up and mount dudes at any time, without having to worry about terrain

By the way, only a couple hours in but I really love this game so far. I would be hesitant to recommend it to the people out there who wanted to like previous Monster Hunter games but couldn't enjoy them at all; while there are a lot of quality-of-live improvements it still doesn't overhaul everything that may have been a turn-off for some people. On the other hand, I'm in that middle camp where I liked 4U (my 3DS tells me I logged 80+ hours so I certainly feel like I got my money's worth) but never got quite obsessed enough to see the endgame. The little tweaks here and there in Generations are making a great impression on me so far though and I feel like this could be the game that really truly turns me into One Of Those Monster Hunter Guys

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I want to be a Smoochin Moofah :unsmith:

Just finished my Bujabujabu set, this game has it's teeth sunk in me.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

According to the activity log I played 13 hours of Monster Hunter today. I should probably go to bed.

Maybe one more Tetsucabra.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ankle posted:

Before release I thought I would have a really hard time choosing what weapon to play because they all seemed so good and cool, but actually, Aerial Greatsword is the best weapon ever and there is no reason for me to play anything else

I know, right?! It feels like it should get get boring really quickly but it it's unreasonably satisfying to land.

For anyone else who hasn't seen The Light yet, Lion's Maw works incredibly well with Aerial style GS. I had written it off before, but it charges super fast so you can use it once every couple minutes if you're playing aggressively and aerial style means you get pretty safe level 3 charges on basically anything. I'm getting five minute kill times on great maccaws, something that I feel like I shouldn't be getting with a weapon I've only upgraded twice.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The new Style stuff seems kind of intimidating but also really interesting.

They also change your base movesets too?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

They also change your base movesets too?

That's specifically their entire point :v:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yes. Guild style is your stock standard actions, same as 4U, and lets you have 2 hunting arts (big flashy moves). Striker removes some of your abilities but lets you take 3 hunting arts and they charge faster. Aerial locks some of your moves behind needing to be in the air, turns your dodge near a monster into a jump, and lets you use 1 hunting art. Adept gives you a perfect avoid (lets you dodge through an attack if you evade at the right time), locks some new/changed abilities behind that, and lets you use 1 hunting art.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

megalodong posted:

Under new game on the title menu, there's the option to do bonus data or whatever it's called. Once you do that, the option will be on the chamberlain on any save file, you don't actually have to start a new save.

I was having this issue as well, claiming the bonus was the first thing I did even before creating a character and I assumed it would show up in game but it didn't. I went to the start menu and did as you mentioned, hit new game and then selected the bonus data again. When I went back into my file and to the chamberlain the bonus was there.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's Moofah armor in this game (!!!) so I realized I had no choice but to use it. I like the "helmet" :3:

I mixed and matched Moofah and Mafumofu armor, and now I am become Anime, Destroyer of Monsters

Also, a question: do you guys use two cats, one cat or go completely solo? I feel like everything's so crowded with two Palicos so I usually just run with one :ohdear:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Aerial Hammer kicks rear end.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
gently caress is everything ever awesome. I've been using aerial switch axe, but I wanted from the beginning to branch out into a new weapon. I'm seriously tempted to start some adept bowing since it feels so, so good. Plus I haven't made a single armor piece because the starter set looks rad and nothing touches me, so my switch axe investment is minor.

I know sweet gently caress all about bows though. I'll go watch/read tutorials, but can someone give me a quick pick for a good low rank bow?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Meldonox posted:

gently caress is everything ever awesome. I've been using aerial switch axe, but I wanted from the beginning to branch out into a new weapon. I'm seriously tempted to start some adept bowing since it feels so, so good. Plus I haven't made a single armor piece because the starter set looks rad and nothing touches me, so my switch axe investment is minor.

I know sweet gently caress all about bows though. I'll go watch/read tutorials, but can someone give me a quick pick for a good low rank bow?

I tried learning bow and in general you just want a bow that lets you capitalize on pierce shot as much as possible early on.

At least that's what I remember before I gave up and went back to my normal shoot-guns. But if you're doing adept bow, maybe nab a bow that lets you use rapid over pierce?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Rapid is preferrable in most cases. Pierce bows are better for long monsters (plesioth, lavasioth, agnaktor, lagiacrus, etc) and wide bows are better for... wide monsters (same as before but viewed from the side. And I dunno, Amatsu and Akantor).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I gotta say, the new particle effects and such really help make a lot of the weapons seem more "impactful". It's taking all my willpower to not just use the hammer all the time again because it feels amazing in this game. Every blow is MASSIVE and the ground shakes and dirt flies when you smack it down.

But I promised myself that I would use all kinds of weapons in Generations, so the hammer will have stay in the "break in case of emergency" case for now.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I love the white trail effect the Longsword gets at full charge. It's so god drat anime.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Do you have to have your weapon out in order to do the adept dodge? Maybe i just picked a bad first monster to really practice it on (cephadrome, with Hammer Adept) but it doesn't seem like you're able to too? I just wanna perfect dodge through attacks and bonk monsters on the head with my giant hammer.

It was mentioned before but holy hell is this game open. I've only been playing about an hour and stuff is unlocking left and right and i can hardly keep up with it all :stare:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
You can indeed adept dodge with your weapen sheathed

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The reliable villager just gave me a quest to protect her weed plants from dinosaurs.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

chaos rhames posted:

The reliable villager just gave me a quest to protect her weed plants from dinosaurs.

......oh, that's why they're putting them in brownies. :doh:

e: oh heck yes

Minera fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 16, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know this might be a controversial opinion, but I don't think the Cephadrome is a very well designed monster :goleft:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Eeeeeeee the 3ds generations bundle just came. Never owned a Nintendo system before. Holy poo poo the 3d effect is unreal.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Your Computer posted:

I know this might be a controversial opinion, but I don't think the Cephadrome is a very well designed monster :goleft:

You're among friends here. gently caress that guy.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Fully staffed cat missions are loud.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I think this tigrex might be unwell

e: delievered the popo tongues with 10m left trying to kill him AND A GODDAMN PALICO STOLE A PELT

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 16, 2016

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I gotta say, the new particle effects and such really help make a lot of the weapons seem more "impactful". It's taking all my willpower to not just use the hammer all the time again because it feels amazing in this game. Every blow is MASSIVE and the ground shakes and dirt flies when you smack it down.
Yeah, this. Some things don't quite work, but the visual feedback is something that the game has sort of been struggling with a bit since forever. My first experience with the series was the original on PS2, where the NA version had the blood effects reduced to the absolute minimum, which meant it was near impossible to tell whether or not you had even contacted the monster, nevermind had a visual reference for whether the hit was dealing more/less damage compared to other hitzones.

Freedom Unite had generous gysers which was rad. 3rd gen had a more misty blood effect that I didn't really like, and 4th gen was sort of in between. I really appreciate a lot of the visual effects this time around, even if it is just the arcs of dust helping to identify where the hitboxes on player attacks. Mentioned was the longsword slicey arcs, which is a nice bit of anime visual flair, but it does help distinguish when you have the full spirit buff, which keeps player eyes on the action, and not glancing up at a gamey resource meter.

A few things are inconsistent, but generally I do like that most of the visual effects are there for the sake of helping communicate what is going on, and isn't just a matter of flashy effects, although even if it were simply that, hits that FEEL harder are certainly more satisfying and fun.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I'm thinking of going bow or HBG but I've got a question first:
Are there parts you can only obtain by cutting tails or other weapon-specific damage types?
Do you need these for your weapon or armor?
It would be annoying to have to switch to another weapon to get parts for my main weapon.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

scissorman posted:

I'm thinking of going bow or HBG but I've got a question first:
Are there parts you can only obtain by cutting tails or other weapon-specific damage types?
Do you need these for your weapon or armor?
It would be annoying to have to switch to another weapon to get parts for my main weapon.

Yeah there are specific tail parts and also other specific break parts. You can cut tails with a bow by using the melee attack, it takes a lot more time than swapping to melee for one hunt though. Boomerangs also do cutting damage so you can use those and the bow melee to cut them.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Bows have a Hunter Art that gives them cutting damage and blowguns have special bullets to cut tails.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ethiser posted:

Bows have a Hunter Art that gives them cutting damage and blowguns have special bullets to cut tails.

Oh right, still not used to gen. yeah the bow hunter art fires 2 arrows with a cable between them that does cut damage. It's a timed thing so for as long as it is active you fire these shots.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I thought that those aren't very good?
So I'd like to know if the drops from tailcutting are even necessary if you use a weapon bad at them.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

scissorman posted:

So I'd like to know if the drops from tailcutting are even necessary if you use a weapon bad at them.

You will almost certainly run into needed tail parts while making armor and weapons, yeah.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

scissorman posted:

They're necessary for SOME weapons. But in general, almost anything you can get from a tail, you can get from a torso.

Almost.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

scissorman posted:

They're not, but they're also not too bad for the few odd instances you may need tails for the weapons. Capcom has learned a bunch and generally weapons that are awful for cutting tails don't need them for upgrades. You'll run into a few odd instances where you need them for armor, and be it those instances, or just because you're in a group that wants to cut tails and it is more trouble than it's worth to have 4 blademasters on a monster's rear end in a top hat, Gunners get some means of cutting tails, and for those purposes they work well enough. Usually far less trouble than farting around making a blademaster set just to cut one monster's tail.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Minrad posted:

this game is so good guys why didn't I get into it earlier.

but it just came out yesterday???

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The only problem with MHGen is that I'm not buying it because I've barely touched 4U, and yet no one is playing 4U any more. :v:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Lemon-Lime posted:

The only problem with MHGen is that I'm not buying it because I've barely touched 4U, and yet no one is playing 4U any more. :v:

Sell 4U to gamestop to defray the cost of Gen.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What's the moneymaker thing to sell from trading?

What style do you all prefer for CB?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Holy poo poo the Demon Riot + Energy Charge on the Switch Axe is insane. Like an extra 50%+ damage for nothing.

Also Nibelsnarf is annoying as hell to fight and terrible. I don't care if some goons think its name is funny. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

You ARE laying big barrel bombs down for it to eat, right? Because I don't see how that's not fun.

• Locked thread