Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

CrazyTolradi posted:

You do know that the economic depressions following WW1 were due to a rise in nationalism and protectionist economies right, which is exactly what Trump represents?

You've got that accidently backwards. The crushing reparations exacted on the Germans after WW1 were the biggest cause of the economic conditions and that caused the nationalism and rise of Hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

starkebn posted:

You've got that accidently backwards. The crushing reparations exacted on the Germans after WW1 were the biggest cause of the economic conditions and that caused the nationalism and rise of Hitler

However nationalism caused WWI. So swings and round-abouts.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birdstrike posted:

as its reported the guy was a French national so you could send him to what, corsica?

Why are you bringing facts into this discussion? French nationalists won't.

I kind of think you're missing the point.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

However nationalism caused WWI. So swings and round-abouts.

yeah loving serbs ruining it for everyone. should've obeyed the god-emperor imo

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Birdstrike posted:

yeah loving serbs ruining it for everyone. should've obeyed the god-emperor imo

I mean I'm not saying Serbian nationalists should be deported to a place they're not from and have no ties to, but maybe we should look into the feasibility of that?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Graic Gabtar posted:

this is a dumb post even for you.

there's probably a worthwhile discussion to be had as to why these attacks are being carried out by people with French/Belgian passports who clearly haven't infiltrated just to commit these crimes, and this might or might not involve thinking about what it's like in the banlieues, but it's clearly beyond you right now.
taking your pills might help you think more clearly

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Graic Gabtar posted:

If the French nationalists are going to say 'send 'em back where they came from' and the people vote on it, it still won't stop the people committing the terrorism and sooner or later they're going to have to deal with that. You really don't know much about French history, which is fine - I don't expect anyone to know everything about anything - but you're trying to come across as an expert on what the people think again and it's embarrassing. Sometimes after reading your posts I have to get my butt surgically unclenched.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lid posted:

I'm trying, and failing, to find any polling of the public re: greyhound ban approval. There is a war in the media here but neither side seems to have any back up over the policy in popularity.

Ask and i shall receive

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-15/82-per-cent-want-australia-wide-ban-on-greyhound-racing-poll/7633998

Almost 22,000 people have voted in a poll asking whether there should be an Australia-wide ban on greyhound racing, with 82 per cent in favour of completely shutting down the industry.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Holding a binding plebiscite on dog racing would be hilarious.

"No, but you see the tyranny of the majority..."

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

So it's been more than 13 days since the election. They going to start redistributing those preferences in the senate today?
I wonder how many senators One Nation is going to end up with :toot:

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005
This space intentionally left blank
AUSPOL - I need your help please.

I'm looking for the journal paper / study on gender bias in regards to job hiring and quotas (i.e. why is a quota needed, rather than purely merit-based selection) that was posted here a few months back. I've found something similar here but I recall the original being more applicable across a wider range of disciplines.

Thanks!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Well it certainly didn't take our mainstream press long to declare this a terrorist attack despite there being ample evidence to the contrary. It's also apparently an argument against gun control. I'd call it more of a litmus test for nincompoops.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There was a thing about quotas in politics, this might be what you're thinking of?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770331&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10#post458224861

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Wow at that Turkish coup

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
CNN Turkey is just an empty studio being streamed live with jets gunfire and screaming heard in the background.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anidav posted:

CNN Turkey is just an empty studio being streamed live with jets gunfire and screaming heard in the background.

this is our future

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

mlyp

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
The army are enforcing a curfew in the midst of a coup, while Erdogan is reporting the coup is almost over and for citizens to take to the streets.

And we thought we had problems with contradictory policies and irony down here...

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Has it been declared a terrorist coup? Sounds like something terrorists do!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I will say, I don't think I've ever been alive for an actual, honest-to-god coup. That's... a thing.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Cleretic posted:

I will say, I don't think I've ever been alive for an actual, honest-to-god coup. That's... a thing.

Niger 2010, Egypt 2011, Mali 2012, Guinea-Bissau 2012, Egypt 2013, Thailand 2014, Yemen 2014-2015... And that's just the successful ones since 2010.

They seem to be sadly common, just don't get the level of coverage from mainstream media.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 16, 2016

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Cleretic posted:

Um, Fiji? Thailand?

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
A good friend of mine is in Turkey visiting family, he has just been able to go to sleep after hearing and seeing planes bomb unknown areas nearby.

gently caress that poo poo, I was trained to be able to cope with situations like that, but I could never imagine being with family in the middle of such a situation, I'd be too afraid for my family to function at all as a soldier/human.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah, there were multiple coups in Fiji. A lot of their Indian population has left due to the racial conflicts involved, which is how my husband's family ended up here.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
My brother was going to have his honeymoon in Fiji but they had a coup there.

The conflict in Fiji just wasn't real to me...

...until my brother had to cancel his reservation at a Fijian five-star hotel...

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Starshark posted:

My brother was going to have his honeymoon in Fiji but they had a coup there.

The conflict in Fiji just wasn't real to me...

...until my brother had to cancel his reservation at a Fijian five-star hotel...

It's quite a surreal thing, isn't it..

Amazing what geographical distance and constant media desensitisation can do to human empathy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The Narrator posted:

Niger 2010, Egypt 2011, Mali 2012, Guinea-Bissau 2012, Egypt 2013, Thailand 2014, Yemen 2014-2015... And that's just the successful ones since 2010.

They seem to be sadly common, just don't get the level of coverage from mainstream media.

Okay, fair cop. This is the first one I'm consciously aware of, though, for exactly that reason.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Old news blah blah blah but I don't recall it being linked and it is 100% :stonk: :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgvd4W5qnnk

Part II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxmtwIuXJNM

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Llama, starting your proposal off with a rant about the technologically illiterate just makes you look like a complete arsehole, you know that right?

I'm definitely not the only arsehole in this thread, or the biggest.

And my point stands. Technology is everywhere these days, learn to live with it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ScreamingLlama posted:

And my point stands. Technology is everywhere these days, learn to live with it.

whisper it to me baby

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

ScreamingLlama posted:

Easiest to wind up though.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

ScreamingLlama posted:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ScreamingLlama posted:

Listen to this week's Something Wonky. Relevant content is from 28:50. You're welcome. Technology is indeed everywhere that is feasible. This is not. Even a truly national NBN would only go some way to addressing the many issues you seem to be avoiding.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ScreamingLlama posted:

"100 different people may have shown me how my point is idiotic but it still stands"

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

lol we use pencils for writing on ballots, because ink pens have too many technical issues (runs out of ink and people try using them anyway. pokes and tears thru the paper if pushed too hard. different coloured inks etcetera).
Electronic voting would be an absolute shitshow in comparison.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The pen and paper ballot is a technology, and one that works very well.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Do we actually have a government yet? Skimmed the last few pages, did I miss it?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

nockturne posted:

Do we actually have a government yet? Skimmed the last few pages, did I miss it?

Yes we have! And we voted for...

...DEATH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

nockturne posted:

Yeah, though the makeup of the Senate won't be known for a while, and some of the specifics won't be known until they actually sit.

• Locked thread