Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Here's the original thread. It's 80+ pages long and I don't have time go go through the whole thing, but here's a picture of it from space because apparently it stood long enough to make it onto Google Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007
My neighbor is building, something ,in his back yard. From what I can tell nothing has any kind of adhesive or mortar. Notice bottom row of block is sideways. I'm also pretty sure he didn't do any prep under them I think they're right on the dirt. There's some kind of crushed stone near the bottom of the landscape blocks but I don't think he really compacted or anything.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's probably a flowerbed, with convenient house foundation drainage.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the outer set of bricks looks like a retaining wall -- they interlock with each other and slope inwards, and just keep all the dirt that's going to go in there from spilling out over the lawn. I can't comment on the cinderblocks, but I think they're really just there so that there isn't dirt (and thus moisture) in direct contact with the house. They don't need to be load-bearing because they won't have any significant amount of force applied to them.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
There's a door that opens onto that thing. Whatever goes there is going to be something a person can walk out onto.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Never seen a walk-out flower bed?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Some kind of terrible carport?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I bet he's going to put a wooden deck on top, or fill it with sand/dirt and then put some pavers on top.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So the place I'm buying has this barn thing, here's the inside:

First thing I'm going to do is have a slab poured so it can start to become a proper shop. I have a question, though, and this seems like a good enough place to ask: that attic space up there, I'd like to make it a proper usable space, is it within spec to hang some joists between those ceiling joists and then floor in the central portion? Or is that construction just not going to be able to vertically support anything in that direction without major rejiggering, and that space is just destined to be nothing more than a glorified attic/high-volume crawlspace? If so, what would it take to make that sort of upgrade safe and code-compliant?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Bad Munki posted:

So the place I'm buying has this barn thing, here's the inside:

First thing I'm going to do is have a slab poured so it can start to become a proper shop. I have a question, though, and this seems like a good enough place to ask: that attic space up there, I'd like to make it a proper usable space, is it within spec to hang some joists between those ceiling joists and then floor in the central portion? Or is that construction just not going to be able to vertically support anything in that direction without major rejiggering, and that space is just destined to be nothing more than a glorified attic/high-volume crawlspace? If so, what would it take to make that sort of upgrade safe and code-compliant?

First: I'm super jealous of that barn. Second: I'm having a hard time parsing the scale on that, but it really looks like the framing of those trusses was designed with exactly that in mind (and that's really why gambrel roofs exist in the first place--to increase available storage space under the roof of a barn). What's the spacing between them? When you say hang some joists between them, do you mean in parallel or perpendicular? It seems like it would be better to run additional joists in parallel so they're supported by the outside walls, but you may have to either sister them up or use LVL so you avoid having to use support columns.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I haven't checked myself, but the assessor site lists it as 32x26. It's gonna be my new shop, I am super excited about that. And without measuring, and not really taking note at the time, those joists are probably, like, 3' centers? I was figuring on hanging joists between them perpendicular, throwing something like these on the existing joists, y'know?

But if that's not the right way to do it, cool. I guess my concern is that I see those plates about midway in from the right on each joist, that butt joint isn't going to provide much vertical strength, I feel like I'd HAVE to sister something on there for any sort of load-bearing strength. Otherwise, at that spot, it's all just hanging from the roof, instead of sitting on the walls.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 13, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Dig up the building code; it has tables telling you what kind of joist sizing and spacing you need for what kinds of loads. I can't quote a table number at you unfortunately. Note that joists are different from the boards you're talking about adding (which I think would be called "blocking", but I'm not positive). The joist runs from one wall to another, and transfer load to those walls. So you currently have joists on 3' centers, which may be enough for what you plan to do, but if it isn't then you'll need to add more joists in-between them so they're on 18" centers or something (with an appropriate gap where you want to provide access, assuming you don't want to try to squeeze through an 18" hole).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

assuming you don't want to try to squeeze through an 18" hole).
We've all squeezed our way through worse than that. In fairness, we were smaller at the time.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Bad Munki posted:

I haven't checked myself, but the assessor lists it as 32x26. It's gonna be my new shop, I am super excited about that. And without measuring, and not really taking note at the time, those joists are probably, like, 3' centers? I was figuring on hanging joists between them perpendicular, throwing something like these on the existing joists, y'know?

But if that's not the right way to do it, cool. I guess my concern is that I see those plates about midway in from the right on each joist, that butt joint isn't going to provide much vertical strength, I feel like I'd HAVE to sister something on there for any sort of load-bearing strength. Otherwise, at that spot, it's all just hanging from the roof, instead of sitting on the walls.

26' wide? That's pushing it, but I think if you sister 2x12s along each of the existing truss joists and put another two between so you're at 12" centers, you should be okay for a 30 lbs/sq. ft. live load in that attic space. Then just put in blocking in between the joists--you can use the hangars you linked or just toe-nail them in (they won't be supporting any load, just keeping the joists aligned).

P.S. if any of the actual engineers in this thread want to correct me, please do. This is just based on my reading of current codes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, cool, I think I get it, thanks guys. :)

This is all just a the spitballing stage right now anyhow, I'm not sure when I'll get a slab in, and then I'll need to put a door on the open bay to seal it up against the outside. THEN the real fun starts.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Slugworth posted:

We've all squeezed our way through worse than that. In fairness, we were smaller at the time.

hey dude, some of us have managed to keep our weight down since we started working as people who came from vaginas

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Okay, cool, I think I get it, thanks guys. :)

This is all just a the spitballing stage right now anyhow, I'm not sure when I'll get a slab in, and then I'll need to put a door on the open bay to seal it up against the outside. THEN the real fun starts.

In all honesty, this stuff isn't hard; I'd recommend just reading the building code. It'll tell you what is considered to be the bare minimum for safety. Like, here's the California residential building code on floors. Scroll down to table R502.3.1 and it'll tell you that for a #1-grade Douglas fir on 24" centers you can span up to 15'7" with a 2x12. It doesn't cover spacing wider than 24", and in fact to get near a 26' span you'd need to step the spacing down to 12" and use select-grade Douglas fir (giving a span of 25'7").

Your existing boards are presumably fine for holding the roof up, but they're in a scenario that isn't covered by the residential building code (which only covers specific common scenarios). Presumably an engineer did the required analysis for the structure to pass inspection. But that means that if you want to modify them into a form that still doesn't conform with the residential code, then you'd need to get an engineer to do the analysis again and make certain you aren't compromising safety. What that's telling me is that you shouldn't assume that converting that upper area into usable space will be straightforward.

You may want to consider putting in a load-bearing wall, or a set of posts, that can support the joists mid-span, as that will give you a ton of flexibility. Might even save you money by allowing you to to use shorter, lower-grade joist boards. This is the time to think about that kind of thing, because if you're getting a slab poured, you'll want to put in anchor bolts for the wall.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In all honesty, this stuff isn't hard; I'd recommend just reading the building code.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it, I just like to do things right and in a way that when I sell the place some day, I won't have the inspector for the buyer flipping out when he sees a structure full of questionable decisions. I want the work I do to be largely indistinguishable from that of a licensed contractor. And before I do anything, I'll have the whole thing planned out and validated. May be as I look at it further and start to iron out some details that I'll decide it's maybe not worth it and I'll just leave the barn as-is and put a detached garage up by the main house. That's something I'd like to do eventually anyhow, so it may be six of one, half a dozen of the other, in the long run.

Once I'm actually on site and can take measurements, then I'll start digging into the appropriate code, so thanks for that link. :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Once I'm actually on site and can take measurements, then I'll start digging into the appropriate code, so thanks for that link. :)

Note that that was specifically the California building code; there may be differences for wherever you are.

Still, sounds like you have the right attitude about this project. Good luck!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Note that that was specifically the California building code;

Yeah, I saw that, but I wasn't going to pester over the jurisdiction. It puts me on the right track either way. :cheers:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Building code isn't going to help you much here. Those are engineered trusses; there are no prescriptive tables, which basically means you can't do anything at all with them unless you have the engineering data to back it up (including sistering joists to them or running joists across them). If you can't get the info for your trusses (hopefully on file with the building permit), you'll have to hire an engineer to tell to you what you can do with them, and how to do what you want.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm okay with that, too. Like I said, if it turns out it's going to be a hassle or major investment just to get it started, I'll skip straight to the other building I have planned and not do crazy stuff with this one.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Dillbag posted:

Here's the original thread. It's 80+ pages long and I don't have time go go through the whole thing, but here's a picture of it from space because apparently it stood long enough to make it onto Google Earth.

Apparently it's STILL standing as of 4 months ago. Survived some serious wind storms in the interim. Amazing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Youth Decay posted:

Apparently it's STILL standing as of 4 months ago. Survived some serious wind storms in the interim. Amazing.

It's like the construction equivalent of retard strength. (Can we still say that?)

jeremiah johnson posted:

My neighbor is building, something ,in his back yard....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAkZT_4vL_Y

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mostlygray posted:

.22 shells work pretty good in old school car fuse boxes.

Plus you get an audible alert when the circuit is overloaded!

Elsa posted:

I was in a Starbucks this morning and I looked up at the ceiling and walls while waiting for my order. Try it sometime, you'll find some unfinished work. The workmanship in this morning's Starbucks every retail building and especially food service buildings was particularly shoddy.

FTFY

Nitrox posted:

You're right, thank you. And if anyone is wondering, the answer is "because Russia". Have another

That looks better than a lot of roads in Dallas. Fewer potholes too.

Bad Munki posted:

I pray I don't end up posting my new house in here. It seems pretty good and I think the guy tended to hire contractors to do anything at all, and it's new and only had the one owner, but still... :ohdear:

My parents are the second owners of their house, and they bought it when it was 5 years old.

The attic is full of flying splices that look like they were done when the house was built, and a HVAC "contractor" :airquote: replaced the entire system :airquote: prior to the house being sold. What they really did was go into the heat pump outside, yank all the heat pump wiring out, and stick a new thermostat on the wall that doesn't work with heat pumps. Everything about the HVAC system was original except the thermostat, and some HVAC company had even plastered their sticker all over the system (furnace, outside unit, thermostat, and even on the disconnect switch for the furnace).

The only upside to that clusterfuck is at least the furnace is gas, and gas is really cheap here.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

jeremiah johnson posted:

My neighbor is building, something ,in his back yard. From what I can tell nothing has any kind of adhesive or mortar. Notice bottom row of block is sideways. I'm also pretty sure he didn't do any prep under them I think they're right on the dirt. There's some kind of crushed stone near the bottom of the landscape blocks but I don't think he really compacted or anything.

That -looks- like a french drain at the house edge, but I have no idea what the gently caress he's thinking with the sideways course.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Letting groundwater drain out from under the house? Ventilation?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Raccoons?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Letting groundwater drain out from under the house? Ventilation?

I feel like it's a misguided attempt at handling water getting between the cinder blocks and the vapor barrier.

Very, very misguided.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A friend of mine has a dishwasher with a broken switch, so he fashioned this up.

I have no idea what the train of thought was.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'I hate my life and want to die'?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

'I hate my life and want to die'?

Stick a fork prong in my eye.
Wait a moment,
I spoke a lie
I didn't really
intend to die.
No hazard sticker
or safety lock,
I'll pry it open
and take a look.
Though the panel's sealed
and the warnings true
I don't heed those words
those words I rue.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Liquid Communism posted:

That -looks- like a french drain at the house edge, but I have no idea what the gently caress he's thinking with the sideways course.

He had to put a row sideways so the top would line up with the door.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
They're 8"x8"x16" blocks, so probably not.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

One Legged Ninja posted:

Had no idea they were square, oh well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

One Legged Ninja posted:

Maybe he thinks it will work. Look at the vertical block on the far right.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Saved in my scrapbook.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kitchen/dining in pink...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

jeremiah johnson posted:

They are going to backfill it and put pavers flush with top row of bricks. It's a common thing to do, why is everyone so confused? Cinderblocks are stacked next to existing wall, that looks to be covered in tar, so no water penetration there. French drain pipe will whisk away any moisture that accumulates, shouldn't be much. There is nothing wrong with that project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The architectural failures thread got goldmined, so I'll drop this here.

Le Corbusier works named as UN world heritage sites - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36820119

Japan is soooo excited to have another World Heritage Site :japan: