Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Shouting isn't that bad unless you're a stabber, and if you're a stabber you should have some hexes anyway to mitigate the disastrousness.

Which branch is easier depends entirely on your gear. If you have reflection and okay MR Shoals isn't the worst. Snake can be painful if you're fragile; a lot of stuff there hits really hard, naga tend to have polearms and sharpshooters use portal projectile. Bring rPois and probably rElec, and keep an eye out for guardian serpents' summon allies encircling and uh, whichever dudes use teleport other. Both suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I've got a source of rElec if I swap out my Crystal Plate for one of the armors Oka gifted, and rPois from a ring. No MR Boost or refelction, so I suppose Snake it is. But tomorrow, after I've had some sleep.

Also, nice to know when you hit the bottom floor it warns you as you descend that you can't Shaft to escape. And there's a Labrynth too. Think I'll do that before Snake or Shoals either one.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You really need rElec for snake. If you don't, shock serpents will kill you.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
If you've trained any Evo, shock serpents are a good candidate for hex wands.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I random rolled a DDEE so of course I worshipped Makhleb and man, I miss Vehumet. I have 55 max mana and an amulet of mana regeneration but I'm still having to spend a ton of time waiting around for mana regen, and I've cleared shoals but still can't cast shatter at <10% despite DD's +3 earth apt. There are huge gulfs between caster with Vehumet, caster with the other caster gods, and caster with unrelated gods.

Sometimes I actually have to swing my sword at enemies, it's disgusting.

SirSamVimes posted:

If you're a squishy race who depends on their evasion to not get wrecked they will slaughter you with their spark damage, but if you're someone with decent health and a big weapon, and treat them with respect, they aren't that bad.

Salamanders can be surprisingly hard hitting if you don't have any rF. In fact everything except the regular green naga are jerks. e: The regular green naga are also jerks because they can constrict you mid stair climb. The only reason Shoals can compete with Snake is because the terrain is so awful.

Darox fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 16, 2016

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Shock serpents are jerks, but spark wasps are total assholes in line with thorn hunters.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
FR: Spark hunters

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Shock serpents are jerks, but spark wasps are total assholes in line with thorn hunters.

That's completely true, but at least spark wasps can be shut down with meph clouds or any strong magic that ignores EV. Fireball and ozo's refrigeration destroy them. Thorn hunters are durable even if you can hit them with fire magic. I like the thorn hunters, though. They're pant's-shittingly terrifying, but in a good way. I think swamp is the only lair branch I actually like. Shoals is full of "gameplay depth" that makes me want to shoot myself, spider is one-dimensional, and snake is full of over-tuned enemies that either have far too much HP (naga warriors), do far too much damage (shock serpents) or both (naga sharpshooters), but all have some kind of gimmicky weakness that means you're safe as long as you spend half your time there resting or retreating.

----

I just finished a sif muna "hybrid" character (super squishy DEWz with a longbow). The character was a lot of fun and extremely strong by the end of the game. A longbow, dragon's call, malign gateway and a crystal spear slinging servitor made short work of everything. I even managed controlled blink for escape. The new channeling seems like a big improvement, but I didn't use it very much because of piety issues (more on that later). I never used divine energy, even though I probably should have, but early on MP wasn't a big issue and later on everything died before I ran out of MP.

To be honest, I barely noticed the difference in piety gain mechanics. Every time I switched from training casting skills, I started to lose piety. I had a very slow gain when I was training 50% casting/50% other and I had decently quick gains while training magic fully. Sif piety decays too quickly now, so that the change to piety gain on kills is barely noticeable. I didn't reach 6 stars of piety until well into vaults after clearing elf. I quickly dropped down to 5 again and didn't get back up to 6 until Zot. That would have been different if I had found more than one scroll of amnesia before depths, but the rate of piety gain still seems pretty slow unless you're devoting yourself only to casting. I never used channeling because I didn't have the invo until after my first rune and I didn't want to burn the piety anyway. I don't think there needs to be a big change, but I think Sif would feel a little better if piety decay were somewhat slower. Obviously, my character was fine. I got a lot of use out of book gifts, miscast protection and amnesia. By the time I reached Zot, my piety finally stabilized at 6 stars and I could use channeling (though I didn't, because I didn't need to). But the game still makes the player feel bad for training skills in The Wrong Way while worshiping Sif and that is contrary to the original point of the changes.

As an aside, I trained this character to use poison magic, even without starting as a venom mage, which is against any shred of wisdom I possess. The design of poison magic is so weird in this game. It's very powerful, but still manages to be useless. The game spitefully hosed me over for my decision by giving me swamp and snake, then giving me the crystal guardian vault in Elf: 3. In spite of that, I got a good amount of use out of poison spells in vaults and even depths, though never enough to make the investment feel worthwhile compared to other schools. Yes, OTR and ignite poison is really badass. With a few shots from the bow to supplement, those two spells even made short work of orb guardians, though by that point I had much faster and safer ways of dealing with them. I even had Parrow and used it extensively, even against rPois enemies. But if I had just learned iron shot or OoD and servitor from the beginning, I think the game would have been much easier.

Edit: By the way, I didn't go crazy with training defenses. This was one of the squishiest casters I've ever played. Unfortunately, the country where I live is loving up its internet more each year, so webtiles is almost unplayable most of the time now, or I'd link the morgue. I had around 13 fighting, 15 dodging before hitting Zot 5 and running out of things to train.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 16, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I ended up clearing Orc first for the shops. there was an amulet of reflection in there I swapped for my amulet of harm, so I'm trying to clear out at least a bit of shoals. Snake scares me because even on big beefy characters I tend to get wrecked when I go in there, so I'm going to at least dip the first couple levels of shoals for xp and loot.

[EDIT]annnnd murdered by a water nymph. gently caress.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 16, 2016

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

SirSamVimes posted:

I've never been killed by a shock serpent, even though I feel like I definitely should have and I know it will happen eventually. You need a plan for them, but that plan doesn't have to include rElec. Evo investment, a strong ranged attack, hexes or meph cloud are all hard counters. The issue is that preparing for them depends on some luck, especially if you have to choose between snake and shoals.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
"Getting any hex wand" is something that will happen basically any game. Also, rElec is a rare resist that you often simply will not find by snake, so relying on it to get by there is not really a great idea!

The only times I have been killed by a shock serpent is when I was mindlessly tabbing or engaging in a stupid way. Like anywhere else in the game(besides arguably Z5 and maybe a couple of places in extended), the resist is fine, but not required.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Just ascended a TrMo^Chei to get my 3rd win. High five to the guy on the last page that did the same combo!

code:
1668405 Sent the Wrestler (level 27, 288/288 HPs)
             Began as a Troll Monk on July 11, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on July 16, 2016!

The game lasted 08:25:29 (81016 turns).

Sent the Wrestler (Troll Monk)                     Turns: 81016, Time: 08:25:30

Health: 288/288    AC: 33    Str: 46    XL:     27
Magic:  30/30      EV: 31    Int: 30    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold:   5273       SH: 28    Dex: 27    Spells: 6 memorised, 17 levels left

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis .      - Unarmed
rCold  + . .      Gourm    +    H - +5 gold dragon armour
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    x - +0 large shield
rPois  +          Spirit   .    q - +2 hat {MR+}
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    U - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  .          Reflect  +    (gloves unavailable)
SustAt .          Harm     .    (boots unavailable)
MR     ++++.                    v - +2 amulet of reflection
Stlth  ..........               k - ring of Shaolin {EV+8}
                                s - ring "Iboaroat" {rF+ Int+4 Slay+4}
The character definitely felt very easy. I never felt in any danger after completing Lair, save for one time in Elf 3 where I got swarmed. Decided to do Slime instead of V:5, which worked out fine except I got teleportitis from a shining eye, and curing it meant I lost my good mutations from the few benemut potions i found.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Just getting back into this game and I really should've 15 runed this guy :(

Apparently when I wasn't playing I forgot that the V:5 ambush is really dangerous even when you have firestorm...

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19-a0-994-g3c636f0 (webtiles) character file.

362858 Lorrdernie the Ruinous (level 21, -4/148 HPs)
             Began as a High Elf Conjurer on July 16, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Killed by the air
             ... invoked by a titan
              (16 damage)
             ... on level 5 of the Vaults.
             The game lasted 03:00:22 (56952 turns).

Lorrdernie the Ruinous (High Elf Conjurer)         Turns: 56952, Time: 03:00:23

Health: -4/148     AC: 19    Str:  4    XL:     21   Next: 83%
Magic:  23/46      EV: 26    Int: 38    God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   1698       SH:  0    Dex: 23    Spells: 13 memorised, 3 levels left

rFire  . . .      SeeInvis +    b - staff of energy
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    r - +1 robe of the Chupacabra {rC+ rN+ Str-5 Int+3}
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    (no shield)
rPois  .          Spirit   .    (helmet restricted)
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    Y - +2 cloak
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    t - +0 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
SustAt .          Harm     .    C - +0 pair of boots
MR     ++++.                    c - amulet of magic regeneration
Stlth  +++.......               W - ring of the Mage {Wiz MR++ Int+3}
                                G - ring of Adir {rC+ Str+4 Dex+3 SInv}

@: icy armour, about to teleport, very slightly contaminated, hasted, studying
Charms, repel missiles, very quick, incredibly resistant to hostile
enchantments, fairly stealthy
A: horns 1, see invisible, clever 1, deformed body, robust 1, weak 1, wild magic
a: Renounce Religion
}: 1/15 runes: decaying
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Lorrdernie/morgue-Lorrdernie-20160716-211317.txt

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You should usually clear both lair branches. Also, clearing depths before vaults:5 is a good idea as its a lot safer with smart play and gives loads of exp.

I'm sure someone is gonna have a lot of "fun" with that firestorm ghost.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Also it's pretty hard to stand in the centre of vaults 5 and take everything that comes at you as a caster. You can do it if you have shatter or tornado/chain lightning, but otherwise you'll just get surrounded. Teleporting and clearing the outsides is usually safer if you're not stairdancing.

e: Basically the idea is to avoid this
code:
You could see Jory, 2 tentacled monstrosities, a titan, a purple very ugly
thing, 2 fire giants, 2 stone giants, a vault warden, 2 tengu reavers, 2 yaktaur
captains, a deep elf death mage, an ettin, 2 ogre magi, a deep elf archer, a
deep elf high priest, a phantasmal warrior, 2 deep elf magi, a swamp worm shaped
shifter, 4 two-headed ogres, a warg, 3 ogres, a lost soul and 8 friendly fire
vortices.

Darox fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 16, 2016

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah I mean I know most of that stuff, I've 15 runed before, I just play like an idiot a lot of the time. Next time I've got a good run going I'll probably ask for spectators because even if they're not telling me to not do dumb poo poo I'm still less likely to out of embarrassment...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
And paying attention to spectators means you play slower, which means you're probably playing more attentively overall. :v:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's funny that mortification is a stronger impetus than just wanting to play well.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Haifisch posted:

And paying attention to spectators means you play slower, which means you're probably playing more attentively overall. :v:

It has the opposite effect on me; I try to see how close to the death line I can skate to get chat to freak out because it's funny.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

It has the opposite effect on me; I try to see how close to the death line I can skate to get chat to freak out because it's funny.

I'm lucky that my first online win is actually a win because having spectators prompted me to full-clear a zig for the first time, as a vampire assassin. The effect of spectators is a blessing and a curse.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I assure you that if I spectate you any advice I give us 100% legit, however I'm terrible at crawl so it might not actually be good advice

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Internet Kraken posted:

I've never seen an ice cave with more than one ice fiend. Ice caves only show up in the early and the mid dungeon. The ones in the middle usually have an ice fiend as the loot boss. It would be totally inappropriate for a midgame loot portal to have multiple fiends in it.

Ha, my mistake, it looks like they were the old sprite for ice devils. :v:

I believe I have discovered why they changed it!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So, this happened in 0.17.
code:
 40938 | Shoals:4 | Killed Ilsuiw
 41239 | Shoals:4 | Found a snail-covered altar of Cheibriados.
 41286 | Shoals:4 | Drowned
I'm in Shoals 4, I find a Chei centaur vault with mixed deep and shallow water and cul-de-sacs hidden from sight. So I evoke flight and fly into both of them. I get the message flight is running out and I am inside a vault so there is no visible land, I could blink or haste or read tele but why would I worry? The game won't turn a safe square deadly with no notice. That already happened to me in 0.12 with lava, was reported as a bug, and fixed. That wouldn't happen again, right?

So I stop on a shallow water space and hit 5:
code:
You start waiting.
You float butt-ly downwards. You fall into the water!
Butt sink like a stone! You drown...
You die...
:negative:

So I go look at recent commits:
code:
b0f541b | Alex Jurkiewicz | 2016-05-27 22:24:23 -0700

Prevent flight-expiry caused drowning/lava-death.
Now, flight expiring when you're over unlandable terrain (eg, lava and
(for most species) deep water) will enable 'emergency flight' mode,
denoted with a red Fly status mark.
Talk about cold comfort. Maybe also mark alternating shallow/deep spots in Shoals as unlandable so people can't hit 5 on them?

edit: forgot to mention I still have butt language on. That might be confusing. Didn't know it even says "butt" in the logs. One time, found a D2 +5 dagger of elec, got "this is a scroll of butt weapon". Hell yeah, enchant that dagger! But it wasn't ENCHANT weapon. It was BRAND weapon.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 17, 2016

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I don't know what version had the change but shallow water never turns into deep water anymore. It's just dry to shallow and back.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Ouch. A related situation to watch out for is having temporary regeneration (such as the spell) interfering with the poison counter, so you can press 5 and die as the game thinks you aren't lethally poisoned.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Dang, that's even worse as it's more likely to come up. At least you can hit 5 now instead of getting gobsmacked by an ogre hitting s to wait out the poison...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

resistentialism posted:

I don't know what version had the change but shallow water never turns into deep water anymore. It's just dry to shallow and back.

That was 0.16. It doesn't matter, though. I checked the tv; the water was already deep before arag flew onto it & hit 5.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It looks like ogre mages can't abyss anymore. That's interesting.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

That was 0.16. It doesn't matter, though. I checked the tv; the water was already deep before arag flew onto it & hit 5.

I think I figured it out after watching - that was the one unexplored square in the area and I'd used mapping so it looks like light water.

I checked i_feel_safe and it doesn't check for if you are flying over unlandable terrain. It checks to see if you're in a damaging cloud, are in a shrinking Sanctuary, are lethally poisoned, or can see monsters nearby.

I guess I always thought it wouldn't let you 5 over lava or deep water with flight running out, since that's a guaranteed game over. I guess now you get drained, good change.

Oh well, learn something new about the game all the time, today in Zot 5 I found out you can't step on a permanent tport trap and then take off -Tele to escape.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Floodkiller posted:

this is the reason why I opened doorvault in dis when I had a game with a bunch of people spectating recently

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Araganzar posted:

Butt sink like a stone! You drown...

Sounds like your adventurer was eating too many meat rations and not getting enough exercise.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Had a MuSu with Monstrous Menagerie online, who was absolutely walking through everything and demolishing every opponent. Just got through lair, was trying to venture into orc and this is how it ended:

code:
             Slain by an orc
             ... wielding a +0 trident
              (6 damage)
A good reminder that, yes, everything can kill you. (also to not forget orc wizards can be invisible, which makes them basically immune to summons, and they can wield electrocution daggers).

Also, mummies are miserable.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I haven't played in ages, but I see CSZO is dead. Grabbed my rcfile off it, but what happened?

Lots of juicy changes since March...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

Had a MuSu with Monstrous Menagerie online, who was absolutely walking through everything and demolishing every opponent. Just got through lair, was trying to venture into orc and this is how it ended:

code:
             Slain by an orc
             ... wielding a +0 trident
              (6 damage)
A good reminder that, yes, everything can kill you. (also to not forget orc wizards can be invisible, which makes them basically immune to summons, and they can wield electrocution daggers).

Also, mummies are miserable.

Canine familiars can see invisible at least.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Canine familiars can see invisible at least.

drat, I did not know that. The one spell I passed over because I figured ice beast + animate remains + monstrous was a pretty good combo and it takes forever to gain spell levels as a Mu.

I would say the next time I do it, it really doesn't pay to branch out spellcasting pre-S branches as a mummy. I found a necro book and figured I might as well make zombies out of all the corpses I was leaving all over the place, but the zombies were outclassed by ice beasts and manticores anyway and that would have been 4 spell levels I could have put into something more fruitful like keeping imp online or, had i known, canine familiar.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 17, 2016

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Brannock posted:

I haven't played in ages, but I see CSZO is dead. Grabbed my rcfile off it, but what happened?

Lots of juicy changes since March...

Some dumb drama with some rear end in a top hat ruining peoples' streaks by registering on different webtiles servers or something, iirc

crawl.berotato.org (Atlanta) and crawl.jorgrun.rocks (Montreal) are your two best bets in the US, crawl.akrasiac.org (Arizona) also exists but is weirdly laggy in my experience

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

So I said I'd post when I had a character running pretty well so I guess I'll do that. Was smart and teleported away from the start of Vault 5 before I was nearly dead this time so it's going much better.

Edit: Not only did I forget to c/p the link but I also am gonna stop for now since I hit 3 runes. Taking a break is probably good for me.

The ideology eater fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 18, 2016

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Started a DESu and first square next to start is an amulet. It's an amu of harm... (please tell me it makes my summons do more damage)

(thanks for always answering my drive by questions. I don't play online but have been playing for years. This thread is great)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm like 99% sure that won't affect your summons. It will get you killed very soon though. Don't wear an amulet of harm on a DESu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

If I unwield it I will have red drain on a level 1 deep elf summoner... I'm gonna wear it till I have like canine castable then I'll rely on imps... rip report to follow...

edit: now wearing am of regen health. red drain sucks. hounds and imps still keeping me alive. summoner is strong

edit2: d3 wands of heal wounds and digging... oh no!

I am Otis fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 18, 2016

• Locked thread