Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I thought it was something to do with pirates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Erdogan now a true Islamist dictator. gently caress Turkey, gently caress erdogan and gently caress his supporters.

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie
once again obama supports islam over secularism

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
We need a wall across the Atlantic Ocean.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Lol 2700 judges removed from office pending investigation. This is starting to stink of a self-coup.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Thank God. I was worried something was going to happen that might threaten the perpetual war in the middle East and reduce the possibility of WW3 finally happening.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Tried googling 'erdogan fires judges' and lol apparently he does this all the time, whenever he can't get his way about something.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Just The Facts posted:

Erdogan now a true Islamist dictator. gently caress Turkey, gently caress erdogan and gently caress his supporters.

dont be ridiculous. after this rousing victory he's likely to get 99% of the vote in the next election

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Is erdogan Really Islamic or does he just say so because he knows he has an automatic brownshirt army from it?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Just The Facts posted:

Is erdogan Really Islamic or does he just say so because he knows he has an automatic brownshirt army from it?

fascists usually say popular things no matter how outrageous to gain power hth

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Can't wait for the government spin on this: "no see, it's a coup against democracy orchestrated by parts of the army, the Gulen movement, all the judges we don't like, all journalists critical of us, all the opposition parties. Oh also the Kurds and Armenians. Oh and let's throw the Jews in there too. Yeah so we had to arrest them all. "

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Well no loving poo poo he's gonna come down hard on anyone who might have conceivably had a hand in this thing.

Maybe spend more than 15 minutes planning your coup next time.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Shanghaied posted:

Lol 2700 judges removed from office pending investigation. This is starting to stink of a self-coup.

yeah it is like the reichstag fire

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Trump needs to take constantinople

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'm surprised that the coupers surrendered so easily. this is Turkey man, you must know you are hosed if you fail a coup. i would have gone down fighting rather than put myself at the mercy of Erdogan

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Yeah this was a really lovely coup

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
What a loving joke of a country

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
The prime minister has said that he's considering legislative changes to reinstate capital punishment. Republic of ISIS here we come.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Imagine being proud of being Turkish

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

2 coups in a week, one reichstag fire and then another actual popular revolt+full military coup?

cnut
May 3, 2016

Champenema posted:

it's a Turkish swirwley

Dear god it's worse than I thought :cripes:

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Erdogan gave a speech in front of a picture of Ataturk, lol.

cnut
May 3, 2016

THE PWNER posted:

i wish someone would coup the usa

Trump 2016

cnut
May 3, 2016

Bitter Mushroom posted:

gently caress Erdogan

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Just The Facts posted:

He started his political career as an avowed Islamist, started a less conservative but still very much Islamist party(AKP, the current party in power), got banned from politics for inciting religious hatred, his party won the elections and then lifted his ban and at the first by-election opportunity he got elected, made PM which lasted(iirc) until he became the president(at which point he pushed for expansion of presidential powers), also he's suspected to have had a hand in forcing the resignation of the PM who didn't like his ideas about executive presidency. He also took the opportunity to blame a movement of moderate muslims for the coup(despite the pro-coup military making a statement about democracy, secularism, and rights abuses).

So it seems like he's the real deal.

Rutibex posted:

i'm surprised that the coupers surrendered so easily. this is Turkey man, you must know you are hosed if you fail a coup. i would have gone down fighting rather than put myself at the mercy of Erdogan

One of the unconfirmed reports being thrown around in the reddit livethread earlier had arrested soldiers stating that they were just following the orders of officers and that they were told it was some kind of training exercise, not being aware of what was really going on until people tried to attack them.

Also a turkish Blackhawk made it's way to greece, with the soldiers inside asking for asylum. 3 majors, 3 captains, 2 first sergeants.
http://www.amna.gr/article/119673/Politiko-asulo-zitisan-ta-meli-tou-pliromatos-tou-tourkikou-stratiotikou-elikopterou

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
What crazy thing will happen today? I'm betting something with North Korea, Kim's been a little quiet lately

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
"i dunno what was going on man I'm 19 years old and just got out of boot camp and a man yelled at me and told me to go stand on a bridge
*slits throat* allah akbar! turkey is great! it's kebap not souvlaki!

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

USSAr posted:

once again obama supports islam over secularism

Gotta side with a winner. When there's a contest between ppl who want freedom and justice on one side and ppl who think that it's really good to kill guys that disagree w/ them or die in the attempt on the other, seems p. obvious who's coming out on top.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

rear end cobra posted:

What crazy thing will happen today? I'm betting something with North Korea, Kim's been a little quiet lately

He's been quiet because he's been too busy stuffing his face.

He a fatty now.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Yay Islam back in control :toot:

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Medieval Medic posted:

Erdogan gave a speech in front of a picture of Ataturk, lol.

This man sure knows a thing or two about mass manipulation.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

lohli posted:

He's been quiet because he's been too busy stuffing his face.

He a fatty now.

Doesn't he have gout and diabetes and other diseases of the fat?

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

rear end cobra posted:

Should have just taken out erdos jet imo

Where are those Israeli fighter jets when you need them?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Digital Fingers posted:

May i direct your attention to this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Pi7BVGy_8

Also a good response, but billy milano is a gigantic tool

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

lohli posted:

One of the unconfirmed reports being thrown around in the reddit livethread earlier had arrested soldiers stating that they were just following the orders of officers and that they were told it was some kind of training exercise, not being aware of what was really going on until people tried to attack them.

The one I heard was that they were told it was an anti-terrorist operation. Considering the coup used a small number of people used to take the TV stations that were easily retaken, it sounds like much of the enlisted weren't enthused in the first place and that only a few of the NCO corps were probably political hardcores or in on the coup.

lohli posted:

Also a turkish Blackhawk made it's way to greece, with the soldiers inside asking for asylum. 3 majors, 3 captains, 2 first sergeants.
http://www.amna.gr/article/119673/Politiko-asulo-zitisan-ta-meli-tou-pliromatos-tou-tourkikou-stratiotikou-elikopterou

Yep, it's definitely looking like an officer purge.

THE PWNER posted:

"i dunno what was going on man I'm 19 years old and just got out of boot camp and a man yelled at me and told me to go stand on a bridge
*slits throat* allah akbar! turkey is great! it's kebap not souvlaki!

There was a video of police and protesters inside an office building or TV station. The police seemed to be pretty diplomatic, negotiating with them to trying to reason with the soldiers to put down their arms until the protesters just mobbed them, pushed the police officers aside and started beating on them.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Volcott posted:

Well no loving poo poo he's gonna come down hard on anyone who might have conceivably had a hand in this thing.

Maybe spend more than 15 minutes planning your coup next time.

There is no way this could have been successful.

Erdogan is trying to turn Turkey into an Islamic Dictatorship/Theocracy, so he has all of the popular support amongst people who are actually willing to act. The military has been undergoing a very gradual purge during Erdogan's career, and they know that every second that passes is a second they become weaker. Given the way this started and the explanations from the conscripts, I would not be surprised if you could count the number of actual military personnel who knew about and wanted a coup on all your fingers and toes.

Given what Erdogan has already done, and what he said he will do, Turkey is going to look like post-revolution Iran very soon.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

NOT loving GOOD
https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/754299735788363777

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/754300816350216193

Hint: The Gülen movement was founded and run by a Turkish scholar and preacher by the name of Fethullah Gülen, who is currently in exile in Pennsylvania.

Obama should have scrambled jets to intercept Erdogan's rear end.

Edit: also, totally not a Reichstag fire moment...
https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/754308331783815169

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 16, 2016

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
So Erdogan just arrested 10 judges on the Turkish supreme administrative court. The self-coup is in full swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Uhhhhhhh . . . how many B61's are there in Turkey right now?

• Locked thread