Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Ciaphas posted:

What's the moneymaker thing to sell from trading?

What style do you all prefer for CB?

I'm going adept style for CB; you lose yellow charge, which is fine because it sucks, and instead you get a fast red shield after an adept guard. (It also helps me because my 4U muscle memory keeps making me try to shield thrust into super burst, which normally leads to crappy yellow shield). The option to do an insta-charge slash is also awesome. And then you even get adept evade in axe mode!

I might try aerial at some point, but adept feels best for me right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Your Computer posted:

I know this might be a controversial opinion, but I don't think the Cephadrome is a very well designed monster :goleft:
It's a pretty old monster, dunno if they ever redesigned it though. You can usually tell the old monster from newer ones cause well, they are usually kinda lovely to fight in some ways.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

John Lee posted:

You ARE laying big barrel bombs down for it to eat, right? Because I don't see how that's not fun.

Aren't barrel bombs the only way to kill a Nibelsnarf? Can't imagine someone actually fighting the drat thing.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

It's not bad. I like smashing its big, broad face with a hammer.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I can't figure out for myself if the Charisma cat is worth bringing along to give the other cat a kick or not. Everyone in the community just talks about the max dps build for prowler mode.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

widespread posted:

Aren't barrel bombs the only way to kill a Nibelsnarf? Can't imagine someone actually fighting the drat thing.

That and fishing it out of the ground

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Rascyc posted:

I can't figure out for myself if the Charisma cat is worth bringing along to give the other cat a kick or not. Everyone in the community just talks about the max dps build for prowler mode.

well cat AI is generally pretty terrible and won't do optimal damage even if they're specced for The Most Damage In Prowler mode, so the optimal way to cat is, imo:

a. bring gathering cats to prevent you from needing to gather yourself, palicos are mostly useless in combat anyways
b. bring support/healing cats because you are awful and can't stop dying you wanna save money on potions :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

um

is your arm okay, hunter? e: oh my god it's my gun derp

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Optimal newbie armor for guild chargeblade?

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
I decided i'm going to try a new weapon this time around, and so I've been doing SnS this playthru. The problem is i'm super torn on what style to use. I've played around with Guild and Aerial, and I really prefer Guild unless there is a "mount and topple" requirement. How does Striker and Adept hold up? I'm a little wary of Adept as i'm still not fantastic at reading attacks, and I'd really miss having 2+ arts.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I didn't use Chargeblade at all in 4 and holy gently caress I have no clue what I'm doing with it even after watching videos.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

BMan posted:

What I do for VOIPing while playing monster hunter:
Using a male to male 3.5mm audio cable, connect the 3DS headphone jack to an input jack on a computer. Turn on "listen to this device" and hear both VOIP and the game through a headset connected to the computer.

Thanks for this. Hadn't thought of doing this but it works very well.

Your Computer posted:

There's Moofah armor in this game (!!!) so I realized I had no choice but to use it. I like the "helmet" :3:

This is good. The first thing a friend said to me when we got on voice was "There better be moofah armor."

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Optimal newbie armor for guild chargeblade?

bulldrome cap (not helm)
jaggi mail
bulldrome gloves
jaggi waist
bulldrome legs

+ 4 attack jewels gives attack up L

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Minrad posted:

well cat AI is generally pretty terrible and won't do optimal damage even if they're specced for The Most Damage In Prowler mode, so the optimal way to cat is, imo:

a. bring gathering cats to prevent you from needing to gather yourself, palicos are mostly useless in combat anyways
b. bring support/healing cats because you are awful and can't stop dying you wanna save money on potions :v:

That was my original thought too but you get SOOOOOOO MANY resource points now that buying stuff off the trader seems way better than gathering.

I might try the pilfer skill next.

The healing cat is always nice just for curing poison spam.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Rascyc posted:

The Palico Rally/Slackproof skill isn't bad, but yeah, generally you don't bring along the palicoes for damage purposes. Bring Collector types either for gathering out on the field, or in the hope they'll grab a bonus part off a large monster, or bring along a support type for backup. The Vitality Vase is especially good, and the Cheer Horn is fun for Art meter. If you yourself are going as a Prowler, Go Fight Win is great to have on a sidekick, since it shaves off a point cost for your abilities.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I've gone with no palicos this time round. I honestly don't really miss them because holy gently caress are they twice as annoying in MHG. In 4U you sort of tuned out the meows but now they loving dance and whistle in a never ending cacophony of noise.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Just done all of the level 1 quests, slowly but surely clicking with this game. I think the game's actual biggest enemy is the 3DS' total lack of ergonomics, my hands are loving killing me. Time to buy some grips methinks.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

i swear to gently caress they made fishing way harder to tell when bobber submerges now

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I run with one Healer Cat and one Stealing Cat. Sometimes I wish I had two stealing cats, but the unexpected heal is always nice in a pinch.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I used the healing cats almost exclusively in MH4U, to the point where I kind of felt like I was using them as a crutch but it didn't stop me. They heal often enough that it pretty much entirely negates those little hits that build up over a fight, and more often than not when I got knocked down to a danger zone they'd heal me back to half, at best saving my skin and at worse letting me top up with only one potion instead of two.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Ok I'm making the bujabujabu set but for the life of me I can't remember what I did to meet Jaggis and also where the disc stones or whatever are found

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Calaveron posted:

Ok I'm making the bujabujabu set but for the life of me I can't remember what I did to meet Jaggis and also where the disc stones or whatever are found

I've been getting disc stones from mining spots, but they might be from a specific zone(s) only. And Jaggis are everywhere! In fact, I think you can get both from that 2* story quest where you gotta kill 8 or 10 Jaggia.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Calaveron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0oXVcO_y1A

There a 2* gh quest that has kill 8 jaggi as the sub and they spawn infinitely in area 4 or 5 of that map

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think there's a mission from the Meowstress to kill 10 Jaggi too at 1-star if you aren't 2-star yet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Where the hell do I find Ancient Berries in the Jurassic Frontier?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Calaveron posted:

If you don't wait for the quests to kill Jaggis, I farmed them using the Misty Peaks Harvest Tour. Jaggis and Jaggia spawn reliably in the middle area with the river.

As for Disc Stones, harvest them in the middle rocky areas of the Verdant Hills Harvest Tour.

As always, prowl away, prowl all day.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just get the phone apps. They are so good now for finding random gathering poo poo.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Crimson Harvest posted:

Sell 4U to gamestop to defray the cost of Gen.

Is Gen really that huge a step up from 4U? I was under the impression that the styles and arts were nice and it has a few QoL tweaks but 4U is still really solid, and it's more that I'd feel silly for having bought 4U and not played much at all of it.

If it's an amazing step up I might trade it in, I guess.

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Where the hell do I find Ancient Berries in the Jurassic Frontier?

Hit the brontosaurus things while they're in a tree eating animation and it drops as a shiny. I have no loving clue how they imagined players would guess this without looking it up.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Randy Mythbuster posted:

I decided i'm going to try a new weapon this time around, and so I've been doing SnS this playthru. The problem is i'm super torn on what style to use. I've played around with Guild and Aerial, and I really prefer Guild unless there is a "mount and topple" requirement. How does Striker and Adept hold up? I'm a little wary of Adept as i'm still not fantastic at reading attacks, and I'd really miss having 2+ arts.

Striker Style is considered the best style for SnS, since all 3 Hunter Arts are good, and all you lose is the weird backhop charge attacks.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

King Chicken posted:

Hit the brontosaurus things while they're in a tree eating animation and it drops as a shiny. I have no loving clue how they imagined players would guess this without looking it up.

Actually, it's right in the quest summary: "I heard Larinoths drop them if you 'interrupt' them while they eat." The only difficult part there is knowing what a "Larinoth" is, and you learn that from being a true Monster Hunter and murdering everything you see! :D

EDIT: Bonus advice: The "Water Lily Roots" drop the same way, but only in the small area with the river. Which is annoying since you have to wait for them to lay down, then get back up, then eat before you can nab one. Then run around and come back for another.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 16, 2016

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is Gen really that huge a step up from 4U? I was under the impression that the styles and arts were nice and it has a few QoL tweaks but 4U is still really solid, and it's more that I'd feel silly for having bought 4U and not played much at all of it.

If it's an amazing step up I might trade it in, I guess.

It's not an ~amazing~ step up, but it's the most "different" MH has been if you don't play the Frontier MMO. If you aren't a jaded vet, stick with 4U and pick up Gens later.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I promised myself that I'd use more weapon types in Generations but gently caress me adept charge blade is MY JAM

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Emalde posted:

It's not an ~amazing~ step up, but it's the most "different" MH has been if you don't play the Frontier MMO. If you aren't a jaded vet, stick with 4U and pick up Gens later.

Cool, that was my plan. Thanks. :)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I never got to Gold Crown rank in MH4U so if anyone wants to do endgame multiplayer stuff at some point I'd be down.

In Gen, how do you unlock new Prowler abilities? Is it through regular level-ups or are there quests you need to do?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Moves are a prerequisite but will unlock for all cAts when you do. Just select a locked move and it'll tell you if you have encountered the monster I think. Gotta bring the cat with the skill though when you do it to unlock for everyone.

Passive skills are all levels.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Is there anything preventing me from using blade master armor as a gunner?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Farg posted:

Is there anything preventing me from using blade master armor as a gunner?

Yes, the game won't let you.

C-Euro posted:

I never got to Gold Crown rank in MH4U so if anyone wants to do endgame multiplayer stuff at some point I'd be down.

In Gen, how do you unlock new Prowler abilities? Is it through regular level-ups or are there quests you need to do?

Im still like G2 in 4U so I would be down for some goon grouping sometime as well.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good iOS app for monster hunter data, 4u and Generations both?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Yes, the game won't let you.

Im still like G2 in 4U so I would be down for some goon grouping sometime as well.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good iOS app for monster hunter data, 4u and Generations both?

MH4U database is great, the MHGen Database app will be as well but the ios version isn't out yet. The ones whose icon is a cat face on a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man normally I don't like mixing and matching armor but I'll be damned if the Bujabujabu set doesn't look super cool.
Now where the hell do I start finding Might Seeds for my attack gems

• Locked thread