Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

I am reading GR and it's def some good poo poo.

I'm also reading The Captive Mind by Czesław Miłosz, which is one of the best books about Why People Have Bad Ideologies, up there with Crowds & Power and The Tru Believer. It's about intellectuals who adapt to totalitarianism in their writing, specifically Polish intellectuals adopting the dialectical materialism of the Soviet Union, but the ideas are clearly broader than that. Way cool book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The "'You never did?' - The Kenosha Kid" part is my favorite and I have it bookmarked and read it a few times since I finished.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
You never did? The Kenosha Kid.
You never? Did the Kenosha kid?
You never did the Kenosha, kid?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That was the dumbest part of the entire book

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
https://twitter.com/youneverdidthe

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The best part of Gravity's Rainbow is the part where the norwegian cowboys black lover is described as having callipygian rondure

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My favorite parts were Slothrop being force fed British candy, or Pig Bodine's coke binge in the Red Cross van.

Least favorite was the poo poo eating or the castration scene

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

blue squares posted:

I honestly think you would hate it. I would bet serious money
Why is that?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nakar posted:

Why is that?

I just know his tastes.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

blue squares posted:

I just know his tastes.
Well now we gotta find some way to make this a Thing. Not that I would bet against you.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Shibawanko posted:

V. is the best Pynchon of the ones I've read. Gravity's Rainbow is good but intricate to the point that it's harder to connect with. I haven't read Mason & Dixon but I suspect I'd like it.

I feel the same. I like V. a lot. It shares a lot of GR's themes and style but is much easier to absorb.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Nakar posted:

Why is that?

he has posted pretty consistently that he doesn't enjoy writers like borges and calvino, and thinks they are more focused on ideas and cleverness than strong characterization, i think it's a pretty reasonable jump to assume that he would have a similar reaction to GR.

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

Least favorite was the poo poo eating or the castration scene

The poo poo eating was one of my favorites. It was the first time it became clear to me that the 20th century's death worship was one of the book's primary concerns. The castration scene was pretty good too, though I don't think I understood its thematic function very well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Lightbulb sequence 4 lyf

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

quote:

The Strand Bookstore has included a literary matching quiz in its job application form since the 1970s. Here are some quizzes from years past. Can you match the authors and titles? Beware of trick questions.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/07/14/nyregion/strand-quiz.html

47/50

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Please don't post your quiz results everyone

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Also it's an incredibly boring literary quiz, I preferred this "prescription drug or Tolkien elf" one

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Well, sorry about that then. Anyway, about halfway through Pond by Claire-Louise Bennett and it is very good. The tone reminds of Speedboat in a way, but set in the Irish countryside instead. I didn't really care much for Speedboat, though, but I'm loving Pond.

Has anyone read Zero K? Thinking about reading that next, curious to hear what anyone thought.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Has anyone read Zero K? Thinking about reading that next, curious to hear what anyone thought.

It's the kinda book that will do absolutely nothing for you but I guess it's well written and will entertain you enough to take you two hours closer to the void.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Incidentally, I just finished Libra a week or so ago and it's my favorite Delillo now. From the few books of his that I've read I think Oswald might be his best character.
It's haunting and beautifully written--his prose is just staggeringly perfect. I'm going to start Underworld soon.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Ras Het posted:

Please don't post your quiz results everyone

4/20

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I read Aquarium. It was cute. That middle bit was difficult to read tho.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

wow, u must be a real literature buff

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Jimmithy posted:

It was cute.

Not what I would go with as an adjective personally

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Mel's a kawaii kind of guy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Finished The Moviegoer. It was very good, with a lot of wonderful passages in the heart of the book.

Next up is My Name Is Red.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
crap

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 24, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Mel's a kawaii kind of guy.

~uguu~

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

rest his guts posted:

I've been getting into early 20th pre WWI American lit and am wondering if anyone has suggestions?

Henry James.
Thomas Wolfe is just after WWI but he's pretty good too.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i want to read my own execution warrant before saudi wahhabists brutally decapitate me

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Against the Day is a really good, incredibly researched book set in that time period.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

rest his guts posted:

I've been getting into early 20th pre WWI American lit and am wondering if anyone has suggestions? Just finished
You Know Me Al, a very funny baseball-centric, satirical epistolary by Ring Lardner. The protagonist Jack Keefe is brazen, bellicose and stingy - not to mention childlike and semi-literate - but someone who you feel nonetheless compelled to root for. He's the archetypal arrogant pitcher and distant cousin to Kenny Powers. Hemingway and Kurt Vonnegut were explicit fans and I imagine his style was a seminal influence for Salinger, as well.

Check out this dude called Hamlin Garland if you like midwestern farmers being miserable.

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

Henry James.

I love Henry James. The Ambassadors is one of the sharpest books I've ever read. The clarity with which he conceives of and executes upon his characters' emotional states and social situations is staggering. And he manages to make it laugh-out-loud funny as well. I read Portrait of a Lady and didn't like it as much, but The Turn of the Screw is a great little ghost story to get lost in. I have a copy of The Golden Bowl floating around somewhere that I'm excited to tackle someday. Do you have any other recommendations from his body of work?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Schmischmenjamin posted:

I love Henry James. The Ambassadors is one of the sharpest books I've ever read. The clarity with which he conceives of and executes upon his characters' emotional states and social situations is staggering. And he manages to make it laugh-out-loud funny as well. I read Portrait of a Lady and didn't like it as much, but The Turn of the Screw is a great little ghost story to get lost in. I have a copy of The Golden Bowl floating around somewhere that I'm excited to tackle someday. Do you have any other recommendations from his body of work?

Other than those I've really just read his short stories, The Aspern Papers is good.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

What Maise Knew is his showpiece for various dramatic ironies.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

book of disquiet is real cool btw

real good, cool

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

read the collected poems of Alberto Caeiro next

pessoa's cool and good

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'm reading Vargas Llosa's war at the end of the world and its sooo much fun im totally addicted, feels good to read a fast-paced soap opera novel every now and then

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

I'm reading Vargas Llosa's war at the end of the world and its sooo much fun im totally addicted, feels good to read a fast-paced soap opera novel every now and then

It's really something and feels very different from his other work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter is like that too, a real pageturner.