Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So how is Reinhardt supposed to work anyway? I haven't played him much, but everytime I do it goes down the same way: stand on the point or at a chokepoint as the enemy wears down my shield at an alarming rate, then get flanked and killed in two seconds. What am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Canemacar posted:

So how is Reinhardt supposed to work anyway? I haven't played him much, but everytime I do it goes down the same way: stand on the point or at a chokepoint as the enemy wears down my shield at an alarming rate, then get flanked and killed in two seconds. What am I doing wrong?

Your shield is supposed to be cover for your teammates behind you so they can be offensive in the open. Don't have it up 24/7, have it up when someone is behind you who can take advantage of it.

You're also strong offensively. You're not just a mobile shield. You have to learn when and where to drop the shield and draw the hammer. Having a shield up while a Tracer and McCree are wrecking your back line won't help anyone.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
How much longer until the PTR changes are live?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Yes.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Seems like Blizz really doesn't want people to play comp with lower ranked friends. Every time I queue up for a game, it's guaranteed to be stressful as heck since the team's performance is so reliant on me. If we win, I gain maybe 20% of a rank. If we lose, I typically lose a full rank. This might sound like confirmation bias but it really seems like it's that way. My friends gain way more rank from wins than I do, which makes our games even harder.

I get really mad at this game's ranked which is weird considering I've played Dota for so long that I have reached a zen-like state of non-angerment in that game

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Jewel Repetition posted:

That depends entirely on how Blizzard feels the balance is.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Jewel Repetition posted:

How long is a piece of string?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

piratepilates posted:

Man I don't even want to play live instead of PTR anymore. The changes on PTR just feel so much more fun.

I feel the same way after playing Ana, but I'm forcing myself to keep grinding out comp on the main servers so I have enough coins by Tuesday to unlock a good skin for her.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I have over 1k so more than enough to get all her highlight intros, her best skin (Merciful) and her Tea Time emote.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Canemacar posted:

Reinhardt better than you think at killing. If you're at a capture point inside a room like a lot of the KOTH maps he can just swing wildly and get kills by mistake. It doesn't look like much but when his hammer hits players it knocks them about a bit which makes it harder for them to aim and kill you. His charge is a one hit kill on almost everything in the game. His hammer also knocks people into pits and such.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

piratepilates posted:

Man I don't even want to play live instead of PTR anymore. The changes on PTR just feel so much more fun.
Right now every other player on PTR is playing Ana. It's understandable, but annoying.

I overall like the changes they make to Zenyatta, especially the buff to Transcendence. A well-coordinated push when Zenyatta uses his ult is pretty much unstoppable.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
D.va on PTR is my favorite new thing

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

nerve posted:

D.va on PTR is my favorite new thing

I wanted to play D.VA today and I didn't because I want to play her glorious buff

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Your shield is supposed to be cover for your teammates behind you so they can be offensive in the open. Don't have it up 24/7, have it up when someone is behind you who can take advantage of it.

You're also strong offensively. You're not just a mobile shield. You have to learn when and where to drop the shield and draw the hammer. Having a shield up while a Tracer and McCree are wrecking your back line won't help anyone.

Yeah you sort of have a couple modes you play in. Shield your direct-combat teammates so you can advance on enemies and get free picks. When your shield is about to break, warn the team, put it away before it actually breaks (it'll recharge faster this way), and make a decision based on the situation: Wait a few seconds for the shield to recharge, or start smashing face. The latter is way more fun but it's not always the right choice. It's tempting to look at whether you should charge in and start swinging with an eye only to the best case scenario but it's important to ask yourself what happens if you miss your charge.

Most of the time your decision will rest on how much your damage classes have already accomplished, and that can be the frustrating part. Pretty much the only time you can unilaterally jump into the fight with good results is if you're lined up for a really sick Earthshatter. If you knock down several people, use Fire Strike and charge against high-hp targets or just swing your hammer around if it's squishies.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

piratepilates posted:

This is why I want the changes to go live so much. Three-Ana teams aside, the good balance in PTR is just so much more fun.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
You guys with super-low accuracy on Reaper and D.Va need to stop trying to shoot at mid-long range. Especially with Reaper, you're just giving away your position to plink for 8 damage.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Although I think D.Va's ult is too powerful right now because the decreased fuse time lets her detonate it like an EMP over everyone in a way that's impossible to avoid even with cover. It should probably just not be air boostable.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Bill NYSE posted:

Haha my Reaper is even more insane. What the gently caress.
Definitely missing out on a large percentage of actual players to compare against with statistics.

i'm allergic to the left mouse button it appears

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Jewel Repetition posted:

Although I think D.Va's ult is too powerful right now because the decreased fuse time lets her detonate it like an EMP over everyone in a way that's impossible to avoid even with cover. It should probably just not be air boostable.

D.va's ult was a joke. Now it isn't. This is good.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Hello, i want to talk about McCrees Mississippi Outfit, because his Outfit can be misunderstood. I don't say his Outfit is racism and i don't say his Outfit must be changed.

Please read first before you judge, because i don't make accusations.

His Outfit can be related to racism and some people can think, that Blizzard advocated the slavery. His Mississippi Outfit looks like a typical Slaver from the Slavery.

The reason why some people can think, that the Outfit is related to Slavery, it's a part of the media. In Hollywood Movies or Videogames, there is a stereotype of a Slaver. He has a seperated chin beard and mustache, the mustache is thin and pointed. He wears a head
with curved sunshade and has a cigar in his mouth. He wears a plaid shirt, fold pants, leather shoeas and a bolo tie.

This stereotype was in many Western Movies and everytime related to Slavery. Our Society grew up with these stereotype and if you ask someone about the Mississippi, in most cases they talk about the Slavery.

The Mississippi was one of the founder, of the Confederate States. The Mississippi was the image of the racism. Pictures about Noble Mansions with fields full of Slaves. In a lot of Movies we saw those Mansions and in illustrations about !@# founder. If we talk about Slavery and the $%^ we have the image of the Mansions with this stereotype in our head.

For example a Movie like Wild Wild West used this stereotype, the villain was a Psychopath Confederate General. He hated black people and he fullfiled the stereotype. In our Pop Culture, the typical -*! former, the typical Slaver was a man like the villain in this Movie.

In Video Games like Bioshock Infinite, the Character "Fink" looks like the villain from Wild Wild West and he was one of the racism symbols in the game.

Games like Bioshock and Movies WIld Wild West, with a story about racism, they all use the same stereotype. Thats why i think, some people can relate McCrees Mississippi outfit to racism. Maybe they think Blizzard advocated the slavery or they have a racist attitude.

I don't mean that is not ok to like the South States and to take a Outfit from the Mississippi. I mean the Cowboy Style is realy cool and Cowboys in generel are cool Characters. I like McCrees Clint Eastwood Style and attitude. The Mississippi Outfit, i saw the Style in Western movies and i like the dastardliness. But i can understand if someone thinks it's a little bit too close to the slavery. I mean in the US, you know there are new demonstrations about racism. A Outfit like McCrees Mississippi Outfit can be misunderstood.

I hope you can understand, why i make a topic like this. It's not about Political Correctness. It's not about to say -"oho someone is a racist". It's only about the stereotype and it can be misunderstood.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747194845

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ddraig posted:

D.va's ult was a joke. Now it isn't. This is good.

Compare it to the other tank ults. They basically disable players in an area of a certain size. D.Va's doesn't just disable, it kills, and in a wider radius, plus it's unavoidable now in certain areas. We need to listen to her.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Jewel Repetition posted:

it's not "impossible to avoid even with cover," even on a sweet arcing shot.
People on PTR have already adapted, I never see it get more than 1-2 kills

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jewel Repetition posted:

you can take my jet boosted self-destructs from my cold dead hands

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Jewel Repetition posted:

Compare it to the other tank ults. They basically disable players in an area of a certain size. D.Va's doesn't just disable, it kills, and in a wider radius, plus it's unavoidable now in certain areas. We need to listen to her.

Good. D.Va's ult has sucked completely since launch. Now it sucks slightly less. I feel like 1 second less isn't a huge deal to escape from the giant flashing thing beeping and making scary noises. People have managed it with Transcendence for quite a while!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
If anything it might actually end up becoming slightly worse in a few situations considering that's 1 fewer seconds that the enemy has to stay behind cover.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Jewel Repetition posted:

Her ult is fine, man.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
D.va's ult ought to feel extra powerful since she also sacrifices her mech to do it. It's maybe a little too binary in that regard since you instantly get a new one if it hits but nada if it whiffs.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dick Tracy Mccree is my enemy and is always there to kick me when I'm down

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

yook posted:

D.va's ult ought to feel extra powerful since she also sacrifices her mech to do it. It's maybe a little too binary in that regard since you instantly get a new one if it hits but nada if it whiffs.

You actually always get the pilot D.Va ult fully charged as soon as the mech nuke explodes. The only situation where using your mech ult won't give you the baby DVa ult is if your mech doesn't explode - ie, you launched it off a cliff or it got pushed into one by a Roadhog hook or Reinhardt charge.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
In theory McCree and Dva share ult strategies, that is it's less about eliminations, and Mrs about zoning. McCree's is better IMHO f you can protect him, especially now when Dva is safe from hers.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4t5k5t/your_account_can_be_banned_based_on_the_number_of/ Great just what I want people knowing that the system is automated. Now excuse me it's my duty to report everyone who does not do as I say.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 16, 2016

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So is Ana not Sombra?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Duck and Cover posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4t5k5t/your_account_can_be_banned_based_on_the_number_of/ Great just what I want people knowing that the system is automated. Now excuse me it's my duty to report everyone who does not do as I say.

If this is true I'm probably hosed doing offensive Torb with all the people saying they'll report me.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

i lost it at Please refer to Edit 7

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I remember when Dota 2s automated system was dishing out punishments left and right that was neato. It's okay though because Blizzard is a small company who can't afford good customer service.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Duck and Cover posted:

I remember when Dota 2s automated system was dishing out punishments left and right that was neato.

I don't see anything in there confirming it being automated? Just someone who got a suspension and not being given a reason for it, which is pretty common in online games.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Jewel Repetition posted:

So is Ana not Sombra?

She is not. Sombra is linked to Reaper and the stuff going on in Dorado, none of which really has anything to do with Ana. There's an easter egg hidden in the Ana trailer that seems to point to Sombra being hero #23.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Here's a thought if you're pissing off your team frequently enough to be mass reported and banned maybe take the loving hint

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Duck and Cover posted:

So what we're learning is that Widowmakers will be locked out of the game eventually whether we have avoid or not.

That's assuming that this story is even true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Gimnbo posted:

So what we're learning is that Widowmakers will be locked out of the game eventually whether we have avoid or not.

That's assuming that this story is even true.

quote:

If you read through the chatlog he posted he actually says what happened: he accidentally posted a bad teleporter near a cliff that sent his teammates falling to their deaths.

He was trolling his team with lovely teleporters and got banned for it