Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Mondian posted:

None of that explains why the science super ship's inaugural mission was to track down some dangerous terrorists tho.

Starfleet loads their science vessels with enough weaponry to genocide multiple planets, because they'll stumble across a new cthulhu and/or zeus like every other week while scanning for asteroid dust or some poo poo.

Plus I guess the Maquis were hiding in that plasma storm nebula where no one's sensors worked, so maybe Voyager's brand new tech came in handy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah I forgot the sensor problems in the badlands.

On the topic of cgi tho, Voyager used cgi to do cargo bay scenes a lot with horrible loooking plastic crewman rigidly performing tasks in the background and it was always poo poo.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Mondian posted:

None of that explains why the science super ship's inaugural mission was to track down some dangerous terrorists tho.

Some admiral who pushed for the design said it would be a great ship to do the job. To show the ship could stand the rigors of terrible space and armed enough to deal with the unknowns too.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Also the delta flyer didn't fit inside the scuttlebay.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They didn't really do cg set extensions until later in the series, by then it was the late 90s and you can't really fault the vfx guys for trying to experiment a bit. Voyager sucks but the behind the scenes technical stuff was pretty interesting

Of course the one time DS9 did a set extension they built a miniature for it and it was so good I didn't even realize what the shot was until somebody pointed it out to me 20 years later

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

What was it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure it was that cardie command centre that Sisko visits when Riker's evil transporter clone steals the Defiant and fucks a bunch of poo poo up. The bottom half of the set was redressed from DS9's cargo bay or something and the top half was greenscreened in later with the miniature so it would look like this big crazy room

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Mondian posted:

Yeah I forgot the sensor problems in the badlands.

On the topic of cgi tho, Voyager used cgi to do cargo bay scenes a lot with horrible loooking plastic crewman rigidly performing tasks in the background and it was always poo poo.

Couldn't look worse than when Trip and Reed were surveying the ruins of Florida.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm sure I've said this before but I love Dukat's little Ugg boots and leggings 2013 'basic bitch' ensemble.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I was too busy looking at Trip I didn't notice the Florida parts of the screen.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Do you think Picard spells it "transportre" in all of his reports?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Ever notice how all the ships are "the Excelsior", "the Enterprise", "the Reliant", yet it's just "Voyager"? As in, "lets get back to Voyager", not "let's get get back to the Voyager".

These are the questions the keep me awake at night.

You just cracked the code of why Voyager sucked.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

criscodisco posted:

I don't think they did that perspective thing right with blurs and poo poo. The ship looks 20 feet tall.

More like 50 but it stands that it is far to small. It looks like as it stands there it's maybe the length of a football field.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
I've done something.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783496

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Idea thief. You mind if I add my but to it, with the layout of the house not matching the outside at all? It's riveting stuff.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

criscodisco posted:

Idea thief. You mind if I add my but to it, with the layout of the house not matching the outside at all? It's riveting stuff.

Of course not. All fans of the Bundys are welcome.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Squizzle posted:

He probably switches it up like how sometimes he says 'schedule' and then other times he says 'shedule'.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

RVWinkle posted:

He probably switches it up like how sometimes he says 'schedule' and then other times he says 'shedule'.

Or like when he's an adult he pronounces his name "pi-CARD" but as a child pronounces it "PEA-card".

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Those are probably language parsing changes from to OTA updates on the universal translator.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Every time Starfleet sends out a new replicator software update, Geordi has to go in and manually hack it to make the exact same thing it used to make when Picard says "tea, Earl Grey, hot", or the Captain is all pissed off for days.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

They didn't really do cg set extensions until later in the series

And until that happened, it was all paintings on the back wall to make the corridor look longer, all the time!

Sometimes they looked fine:

Even if they tended to touch up and reuse the same painting over and over:

But other times the painting was very obviously a painting:

And sometimes they forgot that the painting can only be shot from certain angles:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
If the holograms in the holodeck are just a bunch of force fields, and that's the same thing as the brig door, why don't the holograms shock you and send you reeling backwards every time they touch you?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Maybe force field is a big category, like berries. Holodecks use the succulent black raspberries of the force field world, and brigs use the poisonous holly berry force fields.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No, you fool. Starfleet used the Dildo system when creating force fields.

Holodocks employ the "Silver Bullet" strength force-fields. A cheerful dildo-strength that anyone can enjoy. Brig force fields use a "Big Black Veiny King" strength force field, a dildo so overpowering and strong that only the most experienced and desensitized person could ever touch it without being "shocked".

I mean, do you even read the technical manuals, bro?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

They went rod, I thought berries. :doh:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The Vulcans have the right idea for prison: Put them in a holodeck cell that can simulate any situation you want them to be in.

naem
May 29, 2011

Squizzle posted:

le transporteur

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
So lemme get this straight

Voyager goes into a nebula that gives the crew booboos

Harry gets a headache, Janeway gets a scab, but ensign noname gets burned so bad his eyelids melt shut and he fuckin dies looking like tofu bacon

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
voyager is the most unchill assignment in starfleet

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

voyager is the most unchill assignment in starfleet

The worst was that sperglord astronomer who was banking on re assignment in good Shepherd.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why does the bridge on Voyager always seem so loving dark?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

oldpainless posted:

It makes "Blue Alert" more dramatic. Blue Alert meaning, let's land this geometrically unsound object on the ground.

Watched "The Motion Picture". The folically challenged Deltans are so super sexxed that they have to take an oath of celibacy to serve on Starfleet vessels. Yet Quark seems to devote most of his marketing to "Vulcan Love Slave". A missed opportunity of holosuite rentals.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Automatic Slim posted:

The folically challenged Deltans are so super sexxed that they have to take an oath of celibacy to serve on Starfleet vessels. Yet Quark seems to devote most of his marketing to "Vulcan Love Slave". A missed opportunity of holosuite rentals.
Per Horndog Roddenberry's treatment of the character, sexual union between a Human and a Deltan would be risking INSANITY. The P and D are just that good.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Per Horndog Roddenberry's treatment of the character, sexual union between a Human and a Deltan would be risking INSANITY. The P and D are just that good.

A shame this was never addressed in later series. Think of dramatic possibilities of Troi dealing with a recovering crew member. This would definitely explain Janeway's erratic behavior. "Mark" was a secret Deltan.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

oldpainless posted:

Didn't they have to light it to avoid giving Janeway a bouffant halo?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Voyager being able to land is fine, but they've clearly got some unmentioned tech keeping it from toppling over.

Also, the nacelles wiggled because the old designs hosed up subspace. Later, they figured out how to not gently caress up subspace without the wiggle.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That warp ruins subspace TNG episode is poo poo.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

The General posted:

That warp ruins subspace TNG episode is poo poo.

poo poo, but not poo poo enough to be expressly retconned like THRESHOLD.

Just ignored.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I had a toy model voyager with buttons on the back that made the nacelles go up and down via a very loud motor. It also had two buttons that made the warp and phaser sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Someone post voyager_hammer.jpg and Aatrek's reaction to it