Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

bongwizzard posted:

Guys:

New from zman, coming out at ICAST. A small, buoyant, nearly indestructible tube designed to work on an external jighead and spiral on the fall? Sign me the gently caress up.

I am going to catch all the loving smallmouth. All of them.

I feel like that spiral would foul up your line after a minute without a swivel. For some reason I hate swivels on my line, don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
That doesn't seem to be an issue with normal tubes, so I assume these will be fine as well.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That looks like a fancy butt plug.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

LingcodKilla posted:

That looks like a fancy butt plug.

That describes a LOT of fishing lures.

Tailed butt plug

Double ended butt plug

Fancy butt plug

Beaded butt plug

Dangerous butt plug

TERRIFYING butt plug

Abandon all hope ye who butt plug here

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 10, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The Williamson jet poppers have a particularly butt plug-y look to them

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Please take the hooks off first Tia

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

LingcodKilla posted:

Please take the hooks off first Tia

Where's your sense of adventure?

BadTitude
Feb 15, 2003

Not so curious after the war.

If I mainly fish lakes with bass, walleye trout and catfish what would be my best general catch all braided line weight? Also, any preference in colors you guys have? I want to get some braided for the first time to start trolling in my kayak with a mono leader

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

Leather Daddy posted:

If I mainly fish lakes with bass, walleye trout and catfish what would be my best general catch all braided line weight? Also, any preference in colors you guys have? I want to get some braided for the first time to start trolling in my kayak with a mono leader

I've never gone wrong with Fireline, 6 or 8 lb., smoke or green color

BadTitude
Feb 15, 2003

Not so curious after the war.

LowPartz posted:

I've never gone wrong with Fireline, 6 or 8 lb., smoke or green color

Thank you sir. I'll give it a shot.

I rigged a double rod holder and net set up for my inflatable kayak using a piece of laminate floor and PVC pipes with grooves etched in them with holes to string a rope around to secure it to the kayak cause I don't think it would be the best idea to drill into it :) it holds it real snug an I'm excited for the last coat of coating to dry so I can take it out on a test run

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Good luck. Watch your fingers on braids. A knot tug to tighten will cut you where mono wouldn't. My right index finger has a permanent cut from March to November!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

LowPartz posted:

Good luck. Watch your fingers on braids. A knot tug to tighten will cut you where mono wouldn't. My right index finger has a permanent cut from March to November!

I myself am working on one of those sick tooth grooves where I cut fishing and tighten fishing line. Just like my ancestors! The best kind of tribal tattoo.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Using higher test braid will help with that. Also, I just keep a pair of pliers in my pocket and wrap the braid around one of the handles a few times to pull to tighten knots.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I just pull braid knots teeth-tight and have never had one slip. Floro I still have the occasional failure but I think that is mostly when I try them in poor visibility.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

bongwizzard posted:

I just pull braid knots teeth-tight and have never had one slip. Floro I still have the occasional failure but I think that is mostly when I try them in poor visibility.

For terminal tackle, I always use a palomar knot. Never had it slip, and it doesn't require a whole lot of tightening.

I mostly use the plier handle method for line-to-line connections like a double uni for braid -> mono.

Sometimes I think I like knots more than fishing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am suspicious of the palomar knot and am becoming convinced it leads to more breakoffs then a Trilene knot, which is what I use for pretty much all terminal tackle connections.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

bongwizzard posted:

I am suspicious of the palomar knot and am becoming convinced it leads to more breakoffs then a Trilene knot, which is what I use for pretty much all terminal tackle connections.

Are you using it for mono? It's really more of a braid knot, since it's designed to prevent slippage. Braid doesn't grip itself that well.

Trilene is good too, but I only use it with lighter line. I mostly fish offshore, and I prefer the San Diego Jam Knot for mono. It works especially well for 20+ lb. test.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Nope, always it's braid. The knot never slips, but it really feels like it breaks off easier the trilene tied in the same line.

And yea, other then my surf rig, 20-30lb braid or 12lb Hybrid is the thickest line I use. Although I am liking the hybrid on the three or four rigs I have it on, I cannot get used to the stretch and am going back to braid on all my rigs except for my dedicated Chatterbait and inline spinner rods.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Since I'm in Ohio, freshwater is all i do, and I've used a Clinch knot exclusively for decades. Whatever the line, a clinch has never let me down.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

LowPartz posted:

Since I'm in Ohio, freshwater is all i do, and I've used a Clinch knot exclusively for decades. Whatever the line, a clinch has never let me down.

I have definitely had clinch knots fail on me, but again that's fishing salt with heavier tackle. I don't bother with anything fancier than a trilene knot for freshwater fishing, but that's usually just to scratch the itch. At best I catch a 2-3 lb. largemouth bass. They have so little fight, I'm pretty sure I could use nothing more than the power of suggestion to land them. Trilene is essentially a clinch knot where you go through the eye twice, which can spread the load from terminal tackle. Which is why I like it for bigger stuff in the 10#-20# range, but it can be a pain close a trilene knot in 50# mono.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
On average, what's a ballpark estimate for lure weight/line strength for salt water fishing? I realize different fish=different tackle, but what do you fish for and what do you use?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

LowPartz posted:

On average, what's a ballpark estimate for lure weight/line strength for salt water fishing? I realize different fish=different tackle, but what do you fish for and what do you use?

It varies substantially based on depth and targeted fish. I fish on head boats in 80-200 ft. and I mostly vertical jig, which requires specialized tackle. 50# braid mainline, 50# mono leader, and I'm ripping a 2oz-6oz lead slug in the shape of a butter knife through the water column at a pretty good speed. There isn't really a target-you can catch drat near anything with it from lizardfish to wahoo. When my arm wears out, I switch to what would be considered a light bottom fishing rig using 20-30# line and a MH rod for snapper. If I do anchor trips in 30-40ft, 15# is plenty.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I'm wondering if anyone knows the specific taxonomy of this type of fish, I figure it is some type of river herring or shiner.

Schools of these guys have moved into the river, I can now catch them just by dragging the hook through the water and snagging on their fins or body. The river is low and in some shallow places you can't even see the bottom as their schools are so thick.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Good stuff. Thanks!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LowPartz posted:

Where I live, salt water fishing usually means striped bass, and the tackle used varies depending what you are fishing from. Boat guys use heavier stuff and go after larger fish, but the kayak guys mostly use LMB rigs and 20-30lb braid, and target fish in the 20-30" range in the relative shallows. The yak acts as a large drag, so I have seen guys take 30"+ stripers on a M bass rod.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

slavatuvs posted:

I'm wondering if anyone knows the specific taxonomy of this type of fish, I figure it is some type of river herring or shiner.

Schools of these guys have moved into the river, I can now catch them just by dragging the hook through the water and snagging on their fins or body. The river is low and in some shallow places you can't even see the bottom as their schools are so thick.

That my friend is what we here in VA at least call a Fall Fish, but is actually a large variety of chub. Some people call them "Rapidan River Trout" in the lower sections of the Rapidan because they can be caught/fished for in much the same way. They can also get pretty drat big and put up a nice fight.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

WTF BEES posted:

That my friend is what we here in VA at least call a Fall Fish, but is actually a large variety of chub. Some people call them "Rapidan River Trout" in the lower sections of the Rapidan because they can be caught/fished for in much the same way. They can also get pretty drat big and put up a nice fight.

How do they taste?

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

slavatuvs posted:

How do they taste?

I've only ever heard of people smoking them myself, and they're supposed to be pretty bony. They're basically super sized minnows. I would think the larger ones would taste better as their diet would be heavier on the prey fish side and less on the aquatic invertebrates.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Live posting from the boat again. Love having a cell tower on an offshore island.

Just reeled in this beauty of a halibut.

Gotta go, wife just hooked into something too...looks like this is the spot. I'll update when we get home.

Edit: home now. Wife caught a halibut almost identical to mine.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 17, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Bad rear end dude. Going fishing out of Westport, WA tomorrow.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

LowPartz posted:

For my halibut gear above I have 80lb test spiderwire braided, over 200yd on one reel and 150yd of some no name Chinese braided on the other. For tackle it's all circle hooks on some very heavy crimped monofilament (it's like 1mm thick and probably 400lb test) for weights it's cannonball type usually 10oz up to 16oz depending on currents and tides, bait is 6" herring, red package today.

Ill get some pics of my setup tomorrow when there's light outside.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Bad rear end dude. Going fishing out of Westport, WA tomorrow.

Goodluck buddy. Whatcha going for?
My grandfather used to commercial fish out of Westport back in the 70s.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just ground fish. Hopping for a 30lb+ lingcod.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

LingcodKilla posted:

Just ground fish. Hopping for a 30lb+ lingcod.

Good luck. I was looking into trips out of Westport in a couple of weeks but it looks like I may not be going after all. I wanted the salmon/bottom combo though.
Westport is a fantastic place to buy fresh fish off the boat.

Edit: I caught this guy on a bottom trip out of La Push a couple years ago. Wasn't quite 30lbs, but close. I thought I had hooked a brick.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 17, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Rockfish and lingcod limit today!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

LowPartz posted:

The best trick for this is to carry a small wooden dowel with you in the boat if you use braid in a snaggy area. Just wrap the line around the dowel a few times and then pull the dowel until the lure is free or the line breaks.

I was fishing with a buddy the other day and got snagged and he just hands me this wooden dowel(like a foot long and maybe 1 inch diameter, with some electrical tape on the middle for the line to dig into and not slip), I had no idea what it was for until he told me. I guess it's a catfishing trick? Works like an absolute charm though, you could probably use the handle of a net or something too if you wanted.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Brief anecdote: I took my 4 year old cousin fishing today at the local stormwater retention/sewage overflow pond. Surprisingly not a terrible place (sewage hasn't overflowed in the past two decades), has a fishing dock, someone at some point stocked the pond with perch and mudcats, none of which grow over 6" or so - perfect for a little kid to catch his first fish. And he did, hooked a little 6" mudcat after ten minutes or so. I showed him how to hold it by the lip and unhook it, he held it up, his Nana took a picture of him holding it proudly, good times. Then his mom decided to throw it back, so she just grabbed it like it was a rock or something. And then dropped it when it decided it had had enough and spined her. Along with the car keys, both right over the side of the dock. So I got to go feeling around in the mud with my toes, with water up to my neck, wishing I had worn shorts instead of heavy work jeans.

At least we got the keys back. And he was still thrilled with his first fish. And hopefully I didn't catch a staph infection or anything.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Damnit, I keep losing lures from being bad at tying knots. I tossed a Jitterbug to the moon last night after my trilene knot came undone.

What am I doing wrong? Thinking about switching to a slip knot.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 21, 2016

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

The Mandingo posted:

Damnit, I keep losing lures from being bad at tying knots. I tossed a Jitterbug to the moon last night after my trilene knot came undone.

I use the improved cinch on almost all my lures and hooks. I don't think I've had one come loose. Just need enough loops and pull it tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

The Mandingo posted:

My Grandpa taught me how to tie fishing knots with a huge eye bolt and a piece of rope and it's stuck with me to this day. I usually do the classic fisherman's knot sometimes with a square thrown on it for extra turbo protection but it's served me well.

Seeing all these pics of badass huge fish has me really really wanting to leave work today...but oh well. I'm dying to post some pictures of the (not) huge bluegill or catfish I usually catch but I need to get out there to be able to do it. Come on weekend, get here already! :D