Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

CubeTheory posted:

Please don't take this away Riot

https://a.pomf.cat/vejmfy.webm

Needed a JoJo "To Be Continued". 3/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
nexus siege has so little promotion. I completely forgot about it

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
looks like they are already nerfing Sona

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

nexus siege has so little promotion. I completely forgot about it

I'm not surprised considering how little assets they actually made for it. I was pretty surprised when I first played and saw that it was literally just half of SR, no new items or camps, and slightly stronger summoners + fortification.

Still, its fun once you realize how its played. Though it does suck when you get a player obsessed with kills instead of actual defense/offense.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

offense getting a combat boost technically makes up for it but their toys just aren't as fun. the flash zone is hilarious and i wish offense had something comparable.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
E: whoops wrong thread

Libertine fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 16, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Not a lot has been said about Ryze' rework outside his ult, so I figure I'd give my impression:

When I first read the rework I was pretty worried, since it sounded needlessly complicated and sounded like it gimped his "guy what spams the many spellthings" gimmick, especially the rune gimmick. In practice though, it's really surprising how well everything synergizes:

Overload is functionally the same, the only big difference being the new Rune thing tacked on; replacing the passive shield of Rework Three, Overload now gives you a decent shield and 25% movespeed if you cast Overload after using two skills. Damagewise it feels about the same as ever on its own, but Spell Flux's effects make it way more dramatic in the late game. In place of the old cooldown reduction spam of Rework 2 and the really weird-in-a-dumb-way Overload Reduction of Rework 3, Overload straight up just gets its cooldown reset when using the other two abilities.

Rune Prison is mostly the same. Root duration got hit, but just like Overload, Spell Flux augments it to be better. They increased the range up to Spell Flux, which makes it way safer to use.

Spell Flux is what makes the new kit feel really good to use. It's a mix of Rework 3 Ryze's meh "do things on top of this thing to get the function of a normal skill" and Rework 2's satisfying click-bounce, and it has a cooldown of 2.25 seconds. The interactions look complicated on paper but are pretty intuitive; cast Spell Flux twice on one enemy to bounce Spell Flux to other targets (you'll never do this during laning, read on for why), cast Spell Flux and Rune Prison to double the duration of the root to 2 seconds, and cast Spell Flux + Overload to make Overload deal double damage and bounce to enemies already marked with Spell Flux. It's really satisfying and, like Rework 2's Overload, is really easy to weave into autoattack harass. As for why you'll never use Spell Flux twice during laning, it's because the effect also happens if you last hit a minion with one Spell Flux; this makes the effect rather pointless in laning (though its still required in teamfights to get big AoE Overloads off), but also makes the whole effect feel more intuitive and his harass/farm stronger. True to normal Ryze form, it's got an obscene mana cost for its cooldown (70-90 mana), so you need to pace yourself early on.

It's all mostly simple (the passive is also reduced to an actual passive, in that it's literally just straight up Vlad's passive with mana instead of HP), but in practice you can do some really satisfying and powerful combos that feel like you're making a decision instead of Rework 2/3's "mash Q, press other buttons while mashing Q"; if you're ganking you'll usually do Q -> Spell Flux -> Rune Prison (duration doubled) -> Q -> Spell Flux -> Q (Empowered), but if you're farming then you'll go Spell Flux -> Spell Flux (AoE Mark)-> Q (AoE Empowered) to clear the wave, and if you're being ganked you'll go Rune Prison -> Spell Flux -> Q (Movespeed and Shield, Empowered). It's not the biggest change from the prior Ryze's utility, but it feels far, far more gratifying and like you're actually making a decision, even if you're still getting mainly the same results.

The Ultimate is just as bullshit as the thread has been going on about, but you already knew that if you're reading this. It also has no connection to the rest of his combo kit, which is what makes it feel really bizarre; at least with Tahm Kench you had the visual gimmick of "he eats things, this doesnt synergize with his kit but it makes him eat an ally which makes sense visually", with Ryze it's entirely a cheese skill; it has a 120 second cooldown, and it's telegraphed enough that you generally aren't going to waste it on a single gank.

I'm kind of at a blank for why this is the case too. My guess is the designer finished the basic skills, realized that he made a really satisfying hero that already does a ton of damage and utility and survivability in his core, and figured tacking on a non-damage/steroid ult would keep him balanced. I really hope that they don't pull a Skarner and completely bulldoze what is almost a sensible design, and just give him a different ultimate to balance it out (or put it in the Amumu-Tier ult territory with a 180+ second cooldown).

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
New ryze is garbage and I'm going to kick his rear end.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i think the new ryze should be able to travel back in time with his ult to change the course of history by altering how team fights went, but that is just my opinion. riot feel free to implement this idea if you like it. i think it would be cool.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
He can travel back in time and upgrade your team's champions to their most broken state from the previous patches of the game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the new pool party skins are extremely good, and some of the icons are extremely good, but the bundle price for it all is ridiculous.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I miss old Taric's lore

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my suggestion for ryze's ult: his old spell flux. it doesn't do much damage but it shreds some mr. slightly reduce his damage on his other abilities to compensate. thanks for reading.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
riot please revive chucat with Ryze ult

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I personally don't get why they gave this ult to Ryze at all, it could have been given to a new support who could appreciate such a utility ultimate instead of a solo laner who instead of a power spike at level six just has higher damage on his other skills to make up for a pure utility ultimate. They could have even given it to Tahm to make his ultimate a much cooler thing than it is now.

I mean the animation alone for Tahm's version would be great, he opens his mouth real wide and eats every ally in the area. It even matches his theme of getting allies to safety at the potential cost of himself/it going wrong. Especially if unlike Ryze he channeled for a bit with his mouth open instead of the stupid delayed teleport. Which is actually what I imagine the first nerf will be, Ryze has to sit there and channel the drat thing instead of being free to move around.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Libertine posted:

He can travel back in time and upgrade your team's champions to their most broken state from the previous patches of the game.

release zyra the dream

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i dont like his new voice

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Radical posted:

i dont like his new voice

What, you dont like the inspired work of "riot intern with a sore throat speaks exposition at you"?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Neurolimal posted:

What, you dont like the inspired work of "riot intern with a sore throat speaks exposition at you"?

thats exactly what nuryze would say

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Does Jhin prefer ardent censer or zeke's herald? Half his stats do something else and I can never remember what he likes to have.

(this would be on bard, generally)

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Ignite Memories posted:

Does Jhin prefer ardent censer or zeke's herald? Half his stats do something else and I can never remember what he likes to have.

zeke's because he attacks too slowly to make use of the on-hit portion of censer, but only if he's arpen build imo because he usually builds 80-100% crit with crit build anyway

if he's building crit you should probably just give it to your mid or a bruiser

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Probably gonna be arpen build, this is the same friend who has been rocking korean miss fortune since I told him about it.

Thanks!

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Ignite Memories posted:

Bard really struggles to deliver censer charges because his heal isn't aoe or spammable so in general you should never build that on him. Zeke's 100%

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

zeke's because he attacks too slowly to make use of the on-hit portion of censer, but only if he's arpen build imo because he usually builds 80-100% crit with crit build anyway

if he's building crit you should probably just give it to your mid or a bruiser

Pretty much everyone should be doing the quasi-arpen Jhin build right now though -> Ghostblade -> Duskblade -> IE -> Zeal item -> defensive/LW item.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Libertine posted:

Bard really struggles to deliver censer charges because his heal isn't aoe or spammable so in general you should never build that on him. Zeke's 100%

I almost always build locket (unless the enemy team is completely AD), so that's 6 seconds per minute it's up on the whole team, in addition to anyone I W. Is that still really so bad? I figure, I'm dropping W on people during fights anyways, it might as well heal them a little more and buff their damage.

edit: to be clear, i usually go zeke's, but sometimes pick up censer if there's a lot of people on the team that like aspd. I kinda like how you can boost your pushing power a bit.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 17, 2016

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I feel like Censer is a Karma/Sona/Soraka thing that's sometimes solid on Janna/Lulu and is good on Alistar/Taric if you don't have to do a lot of front lining because it has no defensive stats. I don't like it on anyone without an on-kit way to deliver it to a lot of people. Relying on item actives to proc item passives is really low uptime on the effect.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I see what you're saying, but with 45% cdr bard can W every 6.6 seconds. The buff lasts 6 seconds, so that's 90% uptime on one character, in addition to hitting everyone on the team for 6 seconds every teamfight (I'm going to be locketing everyone pretty much no matter what). I certainly agree that he's not as good at proccing it as karma or sona, but sometimes you get a team with vayne and volibear and azir, and it seems like a reasonable way to spend an item slot.

Maybe the real issue is that I'm undervaluing zeke's? It sometimes seems like a fight goes by without proccing it, whereas censer at least happens consistently. Also, zeke's doesn't work on towers.

But yeah, most of the adc's my friend plays want crit more than aspd so the argument is mostly moot. I'm just asking for academic purposes.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
https://my.mixtape.moe/vaypij.webm

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
We finally have webm support.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Just noticed that Protobelt is now one of the 'highest winrate' items for bard, so I'm taking another look at my bard item set.

How's this look? Anything missing in particular?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
zekes kinda sucks for jhin since his fixed attack speed means super slow charging crit rampages. in that situation on bard i'd just stick with things that slow down the enemy team's dps rather than buffing allies, stuff like frozen heart and well thats it really but whatever

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Ignite Memories posted:

Just noticed that Protobelt is now one of the 'highest winrate' items for bard, so I'm taking another look at my bard item set.

dont get protobelt on bard man. people buy it to be funny because they're ahead, not because it gets them there

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
a hextech item doesnt seem that bad on bard, especially since he already has such strong autos

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
bard isn't really a close-range initiator and that's mostly what protobelt is for i think

luden's or lb is probably the better greedy option

also should i actually be buying RFC on trist? it's in her core build on champ.gg but it feels like absolute poo poo on her because E doesn't get the range increase

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

RFC is really good for sieging or for champs that need to nail that one crit. i don't think it's good to just buy the same zeal item every game just because unless it's core like hurricane. RFC has a very specific use, and sometimes having a phantom dancer is pretty good.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Just Build Bard Tank

ffs

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Protobelt is a cool item for handsome men

Idk about getting it on a support budget withour being a supp who really wants it tho

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Firebert posted:

Just Build Bard Tank

ffs

that's for safe nerds!!

why the hell is hextech revolver's unique passive so much better than its upgrades?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

that's for safe nerds!!

why the hell is hextech revolver's unique passive so much better than its upgrades?

For the champs that can utilize it, I'd say the protobelt active is the most powerful of the line. I do agree though that there's probably a few champs who would rather stick with the revolver passive than any of the upgrades. Maybe they could revamp the launcher so that it has a version of the revolver proc?

Does anyone use the launcher? I almost never see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

JuniperCake posted:

For the champs that can utilize it, I'd say the protobelt active is the most powerful of the line. I do agree though that there's probably a few champs who would rather stick with the revolver passive than any of the upgrades. Maybe they could revamp the launcher so that it has a version of the revolver proc?

Does anyone use the launcher? I almost never see it.

the ice gun? i mostly see it used as a situational roa replacement if someone wants a slow & nuke instead of more stats later.

• Locked thread