Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Zetetica posted:

How does the land promise thing work exactly? If I promise land to my ally and give them some in a separate peace, will they still expect some when I peace out the war leader? Does their contribution percent change depending on how much they fought each enemy?

I think it's just for the main war target, you can do separate peaces.

You have to give provinces worth an amount of warscore proportional to that ally's war participation which you can check in the war screen.

If you demand a peace worth 50% total warscore, and your ally contributed 50%, they will expect to get 25% worth of provinces (half the total peace) or they'll lose trust and be pissed at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

However, if your allies don't want anything from any remaining enemies, they won't be upset.

If your ally wants provinces from any remaining enemies, they'll expect them based on their total war contribution. So don't separate peace if you'd rather give them something from the separate-peace enemy. But if you're sure that your only has interest in the country you're separate peacing, you don't have to give them anything, in either peace.

This can also happen (getting off the hook on a territory promise) if the provinces your ally is interested in change hands in another war before you can peace out yours.

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
Thanks! That's actually a lot more sensible than I was expecting.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Thus endeth my first full game, Orissa -> Bharat

Expanded from Azerbaijan to the Solomon Islands, with a pet Australia (NZ is Egyptian) and the Indian Ocean islands as early warning system

Russia and the Ottomans were out by the early 1700s, which allowed Scandinavia and the Commonwealth to expand to absurd degrees (still had more development than both combined). You can see the Commonwealth pushing the Knights out of Anatolia and Scandinavia pushing Ming out of Tibet and Mongolia.

Spain got hosed so Mexico and California went to France, and Portugal got most of South America EXCEPT Brazil which is Britain with Dutch pieces. Scandinavia got most of the Eastern seaboard.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 15, 2016

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
First game? Thats impressive

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Hryme posted:

First game? Thats impressive

I finished my first full game about 600 hours in. :v:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Kanfy posted:

I finished my first full game about 600 hours in. :v:
Yeah I have 220 hours, I started probably 5-6 different games at various points with Portugal, Aragon, Scotland, Byzantium (:v:) and other countries, restarting whenever I realized there was a whole system I had missed exploiting up until then. And even this game I did a lot of stuff sub-optimally in retrospect. My first rebellion was awful (I had to merc/loan my way out of it) and from then on I was super-paranoid and spent milpoints to suppress them until I realized that beating them down manually is more effective once the rebellious area isn't literally half your country. I didn't realize I had to make states and core twice until a while in. I also didn't grok the difference between reputation and relations until halfway in so my first few diplo-annexations took way too long because I chained them and didn't hire a statesman.

I think I'll go back to Europe next game, it'll be nice to not have techs cost 900 points!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Exactly what is the penalty for promising land in a war, and then not delivering/taking all for myself? Does this penalty also include allies/third party countries who weren't involved in the war?

Uh, asking for a friend.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

double nine posted:

Exactly what is the penalty for promising land in a war, and then not delivering/taking all for myself? Does this penalty also include allies/third party countries who weren't involved in the war?

Uh, asking for a friend.

The penalty is for the country that you promised the land to, pretty sure just them though I could be mis-remembering. When you're negotiating peace, on the left hand-side, you can see what that ally will think of the peace deal you lay out. Thumbs up is good, thumbs down and it will tell you how much trust you'll lose. I've had allies break alliances over it, so it's non-trivial.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
There's also a ten year period(it might be more) where no allies will be willing to join in wars where you promise land. It might be different if you just give your ally less than they expect rather than nothing, but I've never tried that myself.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
If you give them something, but just not as much as they want, you lose trust but not the other penalties.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

double nine posted:

Uh, asking for a friend.

You take a Trust hit with whoever you promised stuff to. Other AIs will react to this by refusing to join wars based on your promises of land for 10 years. They will still join if they just want to beat the tar out of whoever you're attacking, and you can still spend favors to pull people in.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I gave Aragon a province off Castille as Portugal.

Turns out it wasn't enough and I didn't even realize there was a certain amount you had to give. I also meant to give them two but the game gave me the province instead and I didn't notice. They were annoyed with me, didn't let me do this again when I wanted to bite more chunks off Castille, had the Iberian Wedding event, and Castille got the low countries so no more of that :smith:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I gave Aragon a province off Castille as Portugal.

Turns out it wasn't enough and I didn't even realize there was a certain amount you had to give. I also meant to give them two but the game gave me the province instead and I didn't notice. They were annoyed with me, didn't let me do this again when I wanted to bite more chunks off Castille, had the Iberian Wedding event, and Castille got the low countries so no more of that :smith:

When negotiating a peace any countries that are unhappy about the current deal will have a little red thumbs down next to their icon, that way you can tell whether you're giving enough good territory to an ally in order to keep them happy

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

To add to that, the province you thought you were giving to your allies went to you instead because in peace deals any ceded provinces will always go to whoever occupied them. If you occupy a province you can switch occupier to one of your allies in the war. The button is on the right-hand side of the province screen.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah giving your occupied provinces to someone else is also really useful if you're vassal feeding. If your vassals have a claim and you don't, then you get less AE for giving the province to them instead of taking it for yourself.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah giving your occupied provinces to someone else is also really useful if you're vassal feeding. If your vassals have a claim and you don't, then you get less AE for giving the province to them instead of taking it for yourself.

You still save diplo points in the peace deal doing it that way but when it comes to the AE:

1.17 patch notes posted:

Wargoals for claims are no longer reducing AE.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Game is unplayable for me now that Ruler traits mod isn't supported :(

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

- want to go to war against Aachen without Austria
- aachen is allied to cleves
- Cleves is allied to Hesse, Aachen & Holland
- so I ally Wurzburg & Münster so they help against respectively hesse & Cleves

Neither Wurz & munster don't want to join :eng99:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

double nine posted:

- want to go to war against Aachen without Austria
- aachen is allied to cleves
- Cleves is allied to Hesse, Aachen & Holland
- so I ally Wurzburg & Münster so they help against respectively hesse & Cleves

Neither Wurz & munster don't want to join :eng99:

Probably need to build up 10 favours. Wait 10-20 years.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
What is the best starting empire? I played the tutorial and had a fun time, but I am struggling to get through fifteen minutes of the casual campaign.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Dirk Pitt posted:

What is the best starting empire? I played the tutorial and had a fun time, but I am struggling to get through fifteen minutes of the casual campaign.

Castille, in my opinion, they're on the edge of Europe with a defensible land border, can colonize for power and get Aragon basically for free. Ottomans are good too.

edit: vvv I worry the Ottomans may be too complex starting out, what with the huge number of mechanics you need to learn, Castille has the advantage of being as complex as you want it to be.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 16, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

TaurusTorus posted:

Castille, in my opinion, they're on the edge of Europe with a defensible land border, can colonize for power and get Aragon basically for free. Ottomans are good too.

Seconding the Ottomans, they are a military juggernaut and lots of potential targets to expand and not many threating neighbours, ideal for learning the warfare game. Praise the house of Osman.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

I'd recommend Portugal for your very first nation. Ally Castile and you'll have a big friendly neighbor forever; when you get to admin tech 5 and get your first idea group, take Exploration, and head for the Americas and Asia.

Ottomans are a good choice after that - you probably want to have some idea of the basic war mechanics first since you'll fight a lot as the Ottomans.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, Ottomans for sure imo. They also have the advantage of (for a new player) getting steadily harder as the game goes on, with a later game crisis with the Janissary stuff, but still there not really being any existential threats, so you have a lot of room to gently caress up.

Castile on the other hand is relatively easy to get curbstomped by your neighbors with.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Jazerus posted:

I'd recommend Portugal for your very first nation. Ally Castile and you'll have a big friendly neighbor forever; when you get to admin tech 5 and get your first idea group, take Exploration, and head for the Americas and Asia.

Ottomans are a good choice after that - you probably want to have some idea of the basic war mechanics first since you'll fight a lot as the Ottomans.

I second Portugal with Friendly Spain.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ottomans have the advantage of having no serious immediate threats, while Castille has the Big Blue Blob constantly looming over them.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Trying a new game as Ethiopia. Is there a reason I'm not getting any sailors? I conquered a coastal province first thing and it's down to 0.0 unrest and 25% autonomy.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Elotana posted:

Trying a new game as Ethiopia. Is there a reason I'm not getting any sailors? I conquered a coastal province first thing and it's down to 0.0 unrest and 25% autonomy.

You get 1% of your sailor cap every month, but it rounds down, so your 93 means you aren't getting any. Once you get it over 100 it'll start

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Drakhoran posted:

You still save diplo points in the peace deal doing it that way but when it comes to the AE:

Well poo poo

Okay, but it does still work for cores, because I tested it just now: if you use a vassal's Reconquest CB, then giving them the cored provinces directly gives 25% AE (using Return Core options or taking the province for yourself both give full AE). Abusing Reconquest CBs is the best, but it does require that you know how to give occupied provinces to your vassals before writing a peace deal

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Echoing that Ottomans is probably the best newbie nation, it has a lot of cool historical events and they're strongest early in the game with no credible enemies (Poland/Lithuania will fall behind on military tech early, everyone else is too far away to make much difference). They're a great start to learn conquest and expansion mechanics- cores, AE management, religion and estates, and so on.

Portugal is your best bet for learning colonization and trade, since you just ally Castile and you're rarely hosed with and can focus on overseas expansions.

There are a ton of other strong starts but Ottomans and Portugal I think are the most straightforward and focused games that can expose new players to the game systems. Once you're past that, check out Austria to learn HRE diplomacy, and there are tons of other strong nations that combine aspects you'll learn from those.

I can't recommend Castile as a newbie nation right now, they have lovely starting rulers, the Civil War disaster is fairly nasty, and the land access across Gibraltar means the North Africans can dogpile you too. Castile is definitely a strong start it just relies on some luck and player savvy to not get hosed by many of the early-game dangers and bad monarch point income.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah if you go Portugal as your first game then your experience is going to be overly focused on Exploration, which is both very easy and also pretty boring (unless you're going seriously East, and then suddenly you get a free high-value province in India and things get interesting again). Castille has some of those problems but you'll at least have the opportunity to fight the Europeans a bit.

When I first played Ottomons it felt like it was a good tutorial experience. Their mission structure is designed to introduce most of the basic mechanics to the player: conquer this city, retake these cores, conquer this region, etc.

England can be a good choice. You've got a bunch of OPMs in Ireland, the channel keeps you relatively protected from France, you've got a big nation-forming decision that lets you approach Scotland in two different ways, and you're totally set up to strangle the big blue blob in its crib if you choose the right Missions and bring along some allies. It can teach you how to deal with your serious adversaries while taking advantage of your weaker neighbors. It's also really easy to get into the Exploration game, with some really good New World trade nodes dumping into the English Channel.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 17, 2016

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Portugal is a bad idea IMO unless your goal is to learn colonization. Your relative isolation promises safety but also no real chance to expand in wars.

Ottoman is ideal -- even if Europeans dogpile you you can always cut off access at the Bosphorus and regroup (if I recall correctly).

England is great. You get to beat up weak neighbors and learn combat mechanics. You can fight Europe, colonize, or whatever.

Muscovy is also good if slightly more challenging.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I also prefer Muscovy/Russia over Ottomans. Ottomans just teaches you to be overconfident beating up the Balkans. When you awaken Austria/France you just get your poo poo stomped in if you don't really know the combat.

At least with Russia when/if you get stomped you can regroup pretty easily thanks to your ridiculous manpower advantage and massive amount of territory you can concede in order to buy time.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Forming Malaya and seeing the horrible purple color it is has killed a playthrough for me.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The best learning nation is Ethiopia, surrounded by weaker countries at the start, with equivalent powers further South, they're in a perfect position to mess with India and SE asia in the midgame and the Ottomans provide a nice final boss. Being religiously isolated also forces you to learn how to better manage expansion and unrest too.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

The best learning nation is Ethiopia, surrounded by weaker countries at the start, with equivalent powers further South, they're in a perfect position to mess with India and SE asia in the midgame and the Ottomans provide a nice final boss. Being religiously isolated also forces you to learn how to better manage expansion and unrest too.

Ethiopia is an interesting challenge once you already know the game, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first playthrough. Unless they've gotten a lot of boosts since I did my Prester John run a newbie would most likely walk away from a Ehtiopia playthrough with the impression that money is THE most important resource in the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

I also prefer Muscovy/Russia over Ottomans. Ottomans just teaches you to be overconfident beating up the Balkans. When you awaken Austria/France you just get your poo poo stomped in if you don't really know the combat.

At least with Russia when/if you get stomped you can regroup pretty easily thanks to your ridiculous manpower advantage and massive amount of territory you can concede in order to buy time.

Ottomans teaches you that there's almost zero good reasons to expand past the Balkans. Just keep going east.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wasn't paying attention for a little while and the nobility have seized power from my bishopric - is this reversible and if so, how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Is there a reason to join every war an ally invites me to? Castile and therefore I just got my poo poo pushed in by Aragon and the French.

• Locked thread