Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Kill_Discussion posted:

Ordinance should have been designed as "Roll X dice, if this attack hits cancel all results and deal Y hits/crits/ion/stress." Weapon accuracy is reflected by how many dice you throw and the amount of damage is consistent. Would have been a lot better than the method they chose and how many fixes it took to make it viable.

This would completely poo poo on ships without 3 agility even harder that ordnance does already. I mean, look at any 2 evade ship and then tell me something like this:

code:
Proton Torpedo Mk II

3 Attack
Range 2-3

Spend target lock to attack with this weapon.

If your attack hits, cancel all dice results and instead deal 2 damage and 1 critical damage to the target.
Or whatever, wouldn't just poo poo all over them. That would just wreck things already weak to ordnance, and prevent even getting "lucky" and rolling double evades against the shot to cancel extra damage. It sort of makes sense from a story perspective, but gameplay-wise this would be a total nightmare with how the game works currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, right now the result of 'good' ordnance is basically making super alpha strike lists that poo poo on the lesser part of the field leaving Palp Aces left.

I said this before guidance chips, well the first part of this. Literally the only thing ordnance does is put out alpha strikes.

I think maybe the better way would be to change ordnance from being disposable wholly different attacks to disposable added dice to normal attacks with a certain number of uses, being significantly cheaper than currently. This makes it more appealing to use the individual torp/missile slots on ships that aren't kitted out for a huge synergy.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 16, 2016

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Gate posted:

This would completely poo poo on ships without 3 agility even harder that ordnance does already. I mean, look at any 2 evade ship and then tell me something like this:

code:
Proton Torpedo Mk II

3 Attack
Range 2-3

If your attack hits, cancel all dice results and instead deal 2 damage and 1 critical damage to the target.
Or whatever, wouldn't just poo poo all over them. That would just wreck things already weak to ordnance, and prevent even getting "lucky" and rolling double evades against the shot to cancel extra damage. It sort of makes sense from a story perspective, but gameplay-wise this would be a total nightmare with how the game works currently.

That changes Ordnance in a really game breaking way though. You roll 3 hits against an X-Wing and he just sucks up 3 damage, can't even mitigate it in anyway. That makes the Alpha strike problem worse because it all or nothing.

With those they would have to be very cheap to get played because they're so all or nothing, but make them too cheap and they'll just annihilate aces.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Aramoro posted:

That changes Ordnance in a really game breaking way though.

Yes, that was my entire point. It's a terrible idea to have any attack work like that. It's why the cannons all only deal 1 damage when they have a secondary effect, and even then TLT was on the verge of being overpowered.

Kill_Discussion
Dec 15, 2005

Just watch it...

The Gate posted:

code:
Proton Torpedo Mk II

3 Attack
Range 2-3

It actually hurts the high agility ships the most since they'll be taking more damage if they roll 1 less evade than needed. Low agility ships will be taking similar or less. It would depend on the numbers and since this system isn't used there's nothing to go off. I think it would ultimately have been a far easier system to balance when you have a known quantity of how much damage each missile/torp can deal. It also deals with the variance problem that helped make ordinance nonviable in competitive play for so long.

Maybe in this system Proton Torps only roll 2 dice. Who knows without actually testing it out.

Kill_Discussion fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 16, 2016

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Or, roll attack dice = defender green dice (minimum of 1, missiles + 1, guidance chips + 1)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kill_Discussion posted:

It actually hurts the high agility ships the most since they'll be taking more damage if they roll 1 less evade than needed. Low agility ships will be taking similar or less. It would depend on the numbers and since this system isn't used there's nothing to go off. I think it would ultimately have been a far easier system to balance when you have a known quantity of how much damage each missile/torp can deal. It also deals with the variance problem that helped make ordinance nonviable in competitive play for so long.

Maybe in this system Proton Torps only roll 2 dice. Who knows without actually testing it out.

This is essentially my thought. A protorp might roll two heavy dice, whilst a concussion missile might roll two light dice. The Concussion Missile might get doublehit hit, requiring 3 evades to cancel entirely but doing at most two damage, whereas the protorp might roll doublecrit hit, requiring only two evades to cancel but dealing crit crit if you only get one evade result.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

A torpedo should be a little model that gets moved around the board. No range restrictions but it can turn to some degree and locks on to the closest ship or something.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Chemmy posted:

A torpedo should be a little model that gets moved around the board. No range restrictions but it can turn to some degree and locks on to the closest ship or something.

That was my other idea. When you fire a torp, you put down a token with guides on either end, but otherwise bomb token shape and size. It can do a 3 forward, 3 bank, or 3 turn each round after activation. When it or its template overlaps a ship that wasn't the one that launched it, it detonates doing $thing.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
That would be pretty neat I think. Should it be PS0, or PS-of-pilot-that-launched?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's interesting but probably too fiddly for x-wing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah. The idea of TOW style guided missiles isn't really on theme in X Wing.

Now, bullseye-ing womp rats, that's on theme

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmXp802sFgQ&t=69s

YT-2400 canon. Dash Rendar canon?!!!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
They confirmed we'd just be seeing the YT-2400, no Dash.

Conspicuously, however, there were TIE Interceptors in the trailer, and one of them had a red stripe painted across its panels...

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So when is Rebels coming to Netflix?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Probably never. I bought my one from Amazon Prime :shrug:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

W..Wedge?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Wanna bet that the rest of the cadets are Biggs and Hobbie and Garven and co?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Wanna bet that the rest of the cadets are Biggs and Hobbie and Garven and co?

There was one lady cadet. Did Norra or Shara defect from the Academy?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That lady cadet was Sabine, one of the main characters. She just washed the hair dye out to infiltrate the academy I guess. :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That lady cadet was Sabine, one of the main characters. She just washed the hair dye out to infiltrate the academy I guess. :v:

Oh. I don't know the characters well enough. :v:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Conspicuously, however, there were TIE Interceptors in the trailer, and one of them had a red stripe painted across its panels...

The One-Eighty-Worst Imperial Fighter Wing is now Disney canon.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

The One-Eighty-Worst Imperial Fighter Wing is now Disney canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oy6DwHAi70

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

A friend of mine convinced me to jump off the Star Trek train while it was derailing over a cliff and hop into X-Wing. Another buddy and I picked up a few ships, with him picking up a Core Set (the older one, but I have the NO version on its way).

I grabbed Imperial Veterans and a TIE-Defender, while he grabbed Core Set, Imperial Veterans, 4 TIE Fighter Expansions, and a Devastator (recently). Our buddy loaded us up with 4x Veteran Instincts and some alt art cards.

Been having a lot of fun so far despite losing most of the games we have been playing! I went with an Ionic Breeze build (a poor man's version of one posted earlier):

TIE-Defender (Maarek) with Veteran Instincts, ION Cannon, TIE/D Title
TIE-Defender (Glaive Squad) with Veteran Instincts, ION Cannon, TIE/D Title
TIE-Bomber (Gamma Squad) with Veteran Instincts, Proximity Mines (1)

This did alright against his TIE Swarm which was a bunch of aces and a Countess TIE-D (losing to dice rolling poorly), but now that he has a Devastator out on the board it's been a bit difficult to get in position without his Ruthlessness kicking off, mixed with his ship playing space bumper cars.

I had a few questions in regards to ships and rules though:

1) Is the TIE-Defender worth taking outside of an Ace for most situations, or are you better with a swarm of normal TIEs? I like how the ship looks, I like that it has shields, but the point cost seems pretty spicy for more than 2 at a time.
2) Is Cloaking worth using? After reading it, it seemed good for getting into position and that was it, unless you have Adv. Cloaking systems.
3) Does the Devastator have a 360 degree primary firing arc? I assume it does but we wanted verification.
4) Can an Ion effect knock you off the board?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

A friend of mine convinced me to jump off the Star Trek train while it was derailing over a cliff and hop into X-Wing. Another buddy and I picked up a few ships, with him picking up a Core Set (the older one, but I have the NO version on its way).

I grabbed Imperial Veterans and a TIE-Defender, while he grabbed Core Set, Imperial Veterans, 4 TIE Fighter Expansions, and a Devastator (recently). Our buddy loaded us up with 4x Veteran Instincts and some alt art cards.

Been having a lot of fun so far despite losing most of the games we have been playing! I went with an Ionic Breeze build (a poor man's version of one posted earlier):

TIE-Defender (Maarek) with Veteran Instincts, ION Cannon, TIE/D Title
TIE-Defender (Glaive Squad) with Veteran Instincts, ION Cannon, TIE/D Title
TIE-Bomber (Gamma Squad) with Veteran Instincts, Proximity Mines (1)

This did alright against his TIE Swarm which was a bunch of aces and a Countess TIE-D (losing to dice rolling poorly), but now that he has a Devastator out on the board it's been a bit difficult to get in position without his Ruthlessness kicking off, mixed with his ship playing space bumper cars.

I had a few questions in regards to ships and rules though:

1) Is the TIE-Defender worth taking outside of an Ace for most situations, or are you better with a swarm of normal TIEs? I like how the ship looks, I like that it has shields, but the point cost seems pretty spicy for more than 2 at a time.
2) Is Cloaking worth using? After reading it, it seemed good for getting into position and that was it, unless you have Adv. Cloaking systems.
3) Does the Devastator have a 360 degree primary firing arc? I assume it does but we wanted verification.
4) Can an Ion effect knock you off the board?
1) Deltas/other generics with X7 are very good and cost effective, it's not only aces that make the Defender works and probably in terms of cost analysis deltas with X7 are the better defenders.
2) Whisper and Echo are still good with VI and ACD, but that's pretty much it.
3) Yes
4) Yes

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Tekopo posted:

1) Deltas/other generics with X7 are very good and cost effective, it's not only aces that make the Defender works and probably in terms of cost analysis deltas with X7 are the better defenders.
2) Whisper and Echo are still good with VI and ACD, but that's pretty much it.
3) Yes
4) Yes

3) No, no, no. The Decimator has a normal printed forward facing primary arc. Abilities and Munitions that reference firing arcs only work inside this arc. It has a turret primary weapon that can shoot outside the printed arc.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

hoiyes posted:

3) No, no, no. The Decimator has a normal printed forward facing primary arc. Abilities and Munitions that reference firing arcs only work inside this arc. It has a turret primary weapon that can shoot outside the printed arc.

This was how we ruled it at the table, so glad we were in the right!

Thanks for the feedback Tekopo and hoiyes!

Kill_Discussion
Dec 15, 2005

Just watch it...

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

This was how we ruled it at the table, so glad we were in the right!

Thanks for the feedback Tekopo and hoiyes!

Same goes for any turreted primary (YT-1300) as well as secondary turret (Twin Laser Turret, Blaster Turret, etc). So things like Tactician that require being in arc don't trigger if you're firing outside the primary arc with a turret. But there are ships with auxiliary arcs that do count as arcs for these triggers. These include the rear arc of the Firespray and the 180 degree arc of the YV-666.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I've been running triple x7s for a few weeks now with a lot of success thus far. I'd recommend Onyx over Delta just to further mitigate Predator on enemy aces if you're going to spam them, though.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

YT-2400 was already canon. It's in ANH special edition.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Dash not canon, so says the word of God.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I think the better news is Thrawn canon? Thrawn owns really hard.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I really wanna watch Rebels now.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Darktroopers too, goddamn. Dave Filoni and FFG probably have to have the most fun job in the world, just picking and choosing the best parts of the EU to bring back.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Darktroopers too, goddamn. Dave Filoni and FFG probably have to have the most fun job in the world, just picking and choosing the best parts of the EU to bring back.

They haven't brought back Wraith Squadron yet and if they did, it will likely be Corran Horn's adventures in Rogue Squadron. However, I love Filoni's samurai jack-like Ahoska art: http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/07/ahsoka-novel-cover-art-trading-cards.html

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Then why would they bring back Thrawn and Dash

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hey can anyone throw me some cool ideas for repaints of my JM5k? It's going to be my oath next month, but I can't think of a scheme :(

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Improbable Lobster posted:

Then why would they bring back Thrawn and Dash

The best parts of the EU still aren't very good.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Has anyone heard from The Gate. We still haven't gotten our league game in. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

Has anyone heard from The Gate. We still haven't gotten our league game in. :(

I'm alive I swear, just been out of town a ton the past two weeks. If your around this afternoon I can probably get the game in. Deviant too, if he's around.

• Locked thread