Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

The Lone Badger posted:

Can we keep that crap to the bad thread?
swish! swish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
this is the bad thread

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

fritz posted:

Do you know how many different types of animals there are out in the world.

Tasty ones.

Cute ones.

There is some overlap.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Can someone help me find a webcomic? It was a violent fantasy comic with writing reminiscent of Fritz Leiber.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We could use spoiler tags for recent updates, or even just in general.

woah poppy

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dmitri-9 posted:

Can someone help me find a webcomic? It was a violent fantasy comic with writing reminiscent of Fritz Leiber.

Basileus?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Dmitri-9 posted:

This one?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Avshalom posted:

i make a webcomic with my rear end. the webcomic is a poo and the internet is a toilet. you are all bacteria and i mean that. however much like bacteria, we're all part of the same ecosystem

link please

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

That's the one, thank you.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

not really, it's a whole technobabble branch of physics that really only has 'glowy stuff' in common with generic fantasy setting magic, and the terminology is in service to the scientific, early-industrial mastering-of-electricity handling of it in the story. How it works is a significant part of the plot and like 2/3 of the major characters are little wizard Orville Wrights running around figuring out how flight works when instead of gravity and wind resistance aerodynamics operates on the platonic ideal of bird

I stopped reading Unsounded pretty early on and haven't started back up, but that description makes it sound exactly like magic.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

fritz posted:

I stopped reading Unsounded pretty early on and haven't started back up, but that description makes it sound exactly like magic.

You know how any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic? The way the writer describes it is that the people in this world are doing what amounts to magic, but what they're actually doing is living in what amounts to a video game or program or whatever, where the "magic words" they speak are basically commands that cut and paste parts of the code from one thing onto another. Want to turn a piece of paper into a deadly weapon? Speak words that take the sharpness value of your enemy's sword and apply it to your paper. Now cut their head off. That sort of thing. The smoke eels and other weird bits are the world's operating system going "no, wait, you can't do that. lemme fix this poo poo you hosed up".

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

so it's magic

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's basically a semantics difference, yes.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I don't read unsounded, but I do think there's a useful distinction between magic that draws from mysticism or the arcane, and what's essentially sci-fi in wizard hats.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well yeah. I'm not saying it's different, that's just roughly the canon explanation of what's going on. Where it becomes slightly different is when the characters begin talking about it. Most magic-based worlds, the people using magic are either like "I dunno how it works, it just works", or they make it seem like it's some understanding that no mere mortal could ever hope to attain. In this setting, the characters talk about it like a finely dissected and understood science, which is what A Wizard Of Goatse was talking about with his "whole technobabble branch of physics" post.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Morbi posted:

Oh jesus

I have been seeing some other... less than flattering comments about Lila's intentionally racially ambiguous features sprinkled here and there. It's real dumb.

The internet always finds a way to disappoint. :smith:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

neogeo0823 posted:

Most magic-based worlds, the people using magic are either like "I dunno how it works, it just works", or they make it seem like it's some understanding that no mere mortal could ever hope to attain.

Actually the vast majority of modern fantasy works approach magic in an extremely clinical and technical way that involves a shitload of obtuse rules and inevitably descends into power level horseshit, because "magic as science" is the exact kind of overtrod idea that has attracted the attention of incredibly tiresome genre writers for decades. I blame DnD and Jack Vance, personally.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

my favorite is 'magic is actually writing a persuasive essay'

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Dmitri-9 posted:

The Clandestinauts?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

fritz posted:

sure but irl alchemists and poo poo who approached magic as a pseudoscience instead of 'the wizard throws 2d6 fireballs' also had/have their own impenetrable jargon specific to what they thought was going on. Nobody who wants their poo poo taken seriously or thinks they know how it works calls it magic, that'd be some lovely fucken writing.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 17, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

pro-click

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

mr. stefan posted:

Actually the vast majority of modern fantasy works approach magic in an extremely clinical and technical way that involves a shitload of obtuse rules and inevitably descends into power level horseshit, because "magic as science" is the exact kind of overtrod idea that has attracted the attention of incredibly tiresome genre writers for decades. I blame DnD and Jack Vance, personally.

Vance gets a pass because his idea of magic "system" is satirical. The world is so hosed up that even magic spells are mathematically exact repetition.

Sad that no one picked up on that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

mr. stefan posted:

Yeah rule based magic is in fuckin everything and I think the last writer to really have a "magic is just magic" approach was Tolkien?

edit: I guess what really cheeses me off is that despite appearing in fuckin everything it gets treated as subversive each time, by both the author and the fans.

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 17, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mycot posted:

Yeah rule based magic is in fuckin everything and I think the last writer to really have a "magic is just magic" approach was Tolkien?

Pratchett kind of flirted with it, in the sense that only wizards really have any idea how magic works and they spend long and arduous careers trying to hide that fact from everyone including themselves and each other.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, he did still have some scientific principles to it but it was mostly like, magic's easier when it's doing things slightly less impossible, like if you're teleporting somewhere you bring an equal amount of dirt back the other way.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

mycot posted:

Name of the Wind has both rule based magic and "magic is just magic" magic. Game of Thrones magic isn't really the focal point, but it seems to be just magic. At the very least, everyone, even the people performing the magic, understand it so poorly that it might as well be. Harry Potter's magic doesn't seem to follow any rule or reason.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Wittgen posted:

Name of the Wind has both rule based magic and "magic is just magic" magic. Game of Thrones magic isn't really the focal point, but it seems to be just magic. At the very least, everyone, even the people performing the magic, understand it so poorly that it might as well be. Harry Potter's magic doesn't seem to follow any rule or reason.

AFAIK Harry Potter is implied to have some underlying system for its magic (which is why there's a literal school for it), it's just that all the POV characters are middle schoolers.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

mycot posted:

Well, Kill Six Billion Demons seems to have magic pretty much boiling down to "when you're strong enough the world just caves to your will" as far as its mechanics go.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

mycot posted:

Tolkien didn't explain magic because he didn't have to. He stuck to standard archetypes that didn't need explanation. Wizards cast spells and are wise; elves are immortal and in touch with nature; dragons are huge, dangerous beasts; spiders trap and poison you; etc. The one odd thing was Tom Bombadil, and he does go into some explanation about Tom during one of the council meetings.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hahahaha

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wasn't Tom Bombadil there specifically to showcase why they couldn't find someone better than Frodo to take the ring? He was practically a parody character and totally clashed with the rest of the story.

mr. stefan posted:

The only web fiction I can remember that treats magic as magic (ie super capricious and impossible to pin down, like some kind of anti-science) is either obscure or terrible or both.

Tenebrais posted:

Well, Kill Six Billion Demons seems to have magic pretty much boiling down to "when you're strong enough the world just caves to your will" as far as its mechanics go.

Apart from that one.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Most of the magic in LOTR is just how things are. Gandalf throws fire around because of his ring, not because he's a wizard, and the other stuff he does is mostly tricks. The only out-and-out magic he does is because he's an angel, and even that isn't very big. The rings are amazing works of magic because some guy was just that good at metalwork. It's a world where craft and secrets have power; Aragorn's sword is more than just a normal sword because of its history and because the elves poured all their skill into it.

All the middle earth stuff is very influenced by Norse mythology, so the closest thing to a magic spell are the songs of slaying sung by ancient heroes as their blades cleave through the flesh of their enemies (because in this world, God sung existence into being.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gandalf didn't have a ring, he got his power because he was some kind of scion of one of Middle Earth's gods.

There was a lot less magic in LOTR than there would later be in DnD.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The story was the real enchantment.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Gandalf didn't have a ring, he got his power because he was some kind of scion of one of Middle Earth's gods.

There was a lot less magic in LOTR than there would later be in DnD.

I thought Gandalf had one of the three elven rings?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mycot posted:

edit: I guess what really cheeses me off is that despite appearing in fuckin everything it gets treated as subversive each time, by both the author and the fans.

Tolkein has rules for his magic he just never mentions them in text. Some of his collected papers include little in-universe treatises on a few magic rules.

I'd honestly say dnd magic is one of the less 'rule based' because the only real 'rule' is the number of incredible things you can do in a short period, but there's absolutely no restriction on what said incredible things can be.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Renaissance Robot posted:

Wasn't Tom Bombadil there specifically to showcase why they couldn't find someone better than Frodo to take the ring? He was practically a parody character and totally clashed with the rest of the story.

That's because he wrote a bunch of like fairy tales about Tom Bombadil and that forest he lived in decades before LotR. He was included basically as an easter egg for his children, and to add some whimsy I guess.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

I thought Gandalf had one of the three elven rings?

Yeah, he had Narya : http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Narya

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Noted webcomic: The Lord of the Rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010