Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Clocks posted:

I'm in NYC and the game keeps freezing up for me. Sometimes it'll happen while catching pokemon, sometimes it'll happen when opening the app etc. Yesterday the servers seemed down for everyone and you couldn't even log in in the morning. A couple times during the afternoon it'd get stuck on loading as well. So :confused:

Guess I just got lucky then! Of course about five minutes ago I tried to get on and get every glitch in the book, so obviously I'm being punished for my hubris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I almost had a CP 246 Drowzee earlier today. One ball in, fucker breaks out and bails. I was pissed as all hell because it's a loving Drowzee man come on.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

zakharov posted:

I'll say this for the Pokemon in NYC experience: the servers have been remarkably stable since the first weekend. I haven't gotten any freezing or crashing in at least several days. Even the 1 HP glitch is gone.

Now if only there were anything but Zubats in this town.

No, the servers are quite poo poo for me and I am drowning in doduos instead of zubats

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
UK side seems to poo poo itself both days this weekend around 2pm. Could that be with the US East Coast coming online?

Very bummed I cant gently caress around on a Sunday afternoon, but not gonna get salty and entitled about it.

One thing that is a bit lame is the fact Pokemon spawn a lot less and are a lot more lovely in rural areas. All these people with a million pokestops and great pokemon popping up all the time makes me a little jealous. My town isnt that bad though but Ive basically learned the spawn points just by visiting them all.

Also, lures dont seem to do THAT much in my area to make better things spawn, and incenses basically just spawn more lovely pokemons I dont really want but will use for evolves and nothing else. I'm supposing in built up areas they are a lot more useful?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Man I don't want to install no python script, and that honor system facebook sighting logger says NYC has mew twos all over the place so I don't trust it. Also my areas is blank.
I just want to see what I already know, that there's a spawn at the top of the hill, and down the street I don't live on.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

BrianBoitano posted:

The eeveelution trick with the names failed for me twice last night. I now have two "Rainer" Jolteons. I showed the animation to a few people around me in the park to prove I'm not crazy, and yeah I spelled it correctly.
A Pyro I did just before worked out, but those two Rainer ones were bugged for me.

For me, that makes:
"Rainer" worked 3/5 times
"Pyro" 2/2
whatever the electric one 2/2

Just FYI!

Their names may not have registered with the servers when you evolved them.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

General Maximus posted:

Edit: Also, anyone know how long it takes for their support to respond to someone asking for a nickname reset?

If they treat it the same as ingress, you're better off making a new account and starting over. Once they get through the tidal wave of "servers are down", "i'm a high level and can't catch stuff i'm never playing again", "my friend's uncle works at nintendo and he said", they'll either do it or tell you it's not possible at this time but it's a feature they'll look into.

Ingress had a specific way to ask for it and even that took around a month.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
"Nickname changes are only allowed for players that accidentally input their real name or other personally identifiable information as their nickname. Request a nickname change via the Help Center. Change requests currently take several weeks to review and process."

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I just downloaded Ingress to peek at the XM spread and a lot of things I've noticed about Pokemon spawn locations in my area suddenly make perfect sense.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So all of the gyms have 1000+ CP Pokémon stacks. I'm level 9 and the highest CPs I see in the wild are like 180ish. Do I just need to be higher level to have any reason to visit a gym? Training and attacking seem worthless when you are so outclassed.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

jiggerypokery posted:

It's impossible to plan to scale the biggest app ever. It's loving impressive it works at all.

Yeah if you go from zero to twitter in a week your operations guys are going to be making GBS threads bricks. I wonder how much sleep their developers have gotten over the past month.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Tried my first gym fight today, almost got the second of three guys gone before the servers went down. My strongest pokemon were a 451 Arbok, a 315 Arbok, and a 324 Growlithe, then I had some 200s Tangela, Paras, Cubone, and Bellsprout. Enemy team was a 479 Arcanine, 670 Arbok, and a 1030 Golem. Biggest issue was getting my swipe to register as a swipe instead of a tap, but I think I did okay. I reached the Golem multiple times even before I knocked the first guy out of the gym. I also got the golem to half health once with a 243 Cubone. :911:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Internet Explorer posted:

So all of the gyms have 1000+ CP Pokémon stacks. I'm level 9 and the highest CPs I see in the wild are like 180ish. Do I just need to be higher level to have any reason to visit a gym? Training and attacking seem worthless when you are so outclassed.

On your own, yeah. Pretty pointless when your level is low.
If you go with other team members, it's not so bad.

turtlecrunch posted:

Tried my first gym fight today, almost got the second of three guys gone before the servers went down.
I thought the 1hp bug was back. Took the time to fire off two hyper beams before force quitting.

LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original

Internet Explorer posted:

I hit level 12 yesterday, and I've stumbled across some 500+ CP Fearows and such. I wasnt able to win a gym fight until level 10 or 11. Just catch as many Eevees as you can and evolve one that's 200cp or more, you can at least take down one or two that way.

Ransack
Aug 9, 2006

Mr. Jive posted:

I just downloaded Ingress to peek at the XM spread and a lot of things I've noticed about Pokemon spawn locations in my area suddenly make perfect sense.

How do you see the XM spread? All I can see are portals and POI.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Necc0 posted:

Yeah if you go from zero to twitter in a week your operations guys are going to be making GBS threads bricks. I wonder how much sleep their developers have gotten over the past month.

Even twitter didn't go zero to twitter. I'm pretty sure the guys at AWS are tearing their hair out too.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Necc0 posted:

It's not as simple as just throwing more servers at it. Web architecture at the scale these guys are looking at is really really hard and there only s handful of people with the skills necessary to build it.

Honestly it seems like they had no clue this was going to catch on as quickly as it did.

I don't think its reasonable to blame the devs for not thinking their game would get more daily active users than google maps

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

widespread posted:

I almost had a CP 246 Drowzee earlier today. One ball in, fucker breaks out and bails. I was pissed as all hell because it's a loving Drowzee man come on.

Hatched this from a 5KM egg (I think) about 20 minutes ago :smug:

fake edit: Didn't mean to cut the CP off, was trying to show the attacks as well, CP234 and I'm Level 11.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Just took a nice 3km stroll along a river walk in town with 5 pokestops and all I have to show for it is a wet dog. None of the stops dropped any items, just a message "Please try later". I've never been to these stops before so I guess they've just been arbitrarily disabled? :iiam: Encountered zero pokemon and walked my 2 incubating eggs down from 2.0km to 2.0km.

There were seats at the last stop and a bunch of folk sitting around playing the game. So I popped a lure into it that I'd paid for with real money (well, Google Rewards money). The game froze and wouldn't let me back in for 10 minutes. When I got back in the lure was gone from my inventory but it wasn't activated on the stop. Glitches that stop people catching imaginary monsters are annoying. Glitches that take real money out of people's accounts then denies them access to the thing they've just purchased are lawsuit territory.

ppiixx
Nov 2, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

Even twitter didn't go zero to twitter. I'm pretty sure the guys at AWS are tearing their hair out too.

I think it is hosted on Google cloud not AWS. Niantic are ex googlers and Google is a investor.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

SaberToothedPie posted:

I don't think its reasonable to blame the devs for not thinking their game would get more daily active users than google maps

Do we have sliced bread statistics? I want to know how close they are from going zero to sliced bread in the span of a month.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand why people are like "the game wasn't working right and I couldn't do anything... SO I USED A PAY ITEM THAT I SPENT REAL MONEY ON... AND THE GAME STILL DIDN'T WORK!"

it sucks that the game is broken a lot. Stop wasting your money! Just try to have fun f2p-ing until things stabilize. Which could be weeks.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

ppiixx posted:

I think it is hosted on Google cloud not AWS. Niantic are ex googlers and Google is a investor.

This is probably why they've been able to spin up servers so quickly. A huge part that a lot of people aren't aware of is negotiating service contracts at this level can become a really drawn out process. If your primary investors are the ones who are also doing your hosting that cuts out a lot of turnaround time.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Snak posted:

I don't understand why people are like "the game wasn't working right and I couldn't do anything... SO I USED A PAY ITEM THAT I SPENT REAL MONEY ON... AND THE GAME STILL DIDN'T WORK!"

it sucks that the game is broken a lot. Stop wasting your money! Just try to have fun f2p-ing until things stabilize. Which could be weeks.

Yep, I'm holding onto my lures (that I get free with leveling) for precisely this reason. Once servers are stable I'll probably have enough saved up to rape a pokestop of it's mons for hours.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Just took a nice 3km stroll along a river walk in town with 5 pokestops and all I have to show for it is a wet dog. None of the stops dropped any items, just a message "Please try later". I've never been to these stops before so I guess they've just been arbitrarily disabled? :iiam:

This happens to me sometimes. It doesn't necessarily mean you aren't getting the drops - it's possible that the items register but the spin animation doesn't, and then when you try to spin it again, it tells you that you can't, because you just did.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Necc0 posted:

Do we have sliced bread statistics? I want to know how close they are from going zero to sliced bread in the span of a month.

Remember that time the USA banned presliced bread because of WWII?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/49168/brief-history-sliced-bread

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Ransack posted:

How do you see the XM spread? All I can see are portals and POI.

They're the little white dots, right?

Jeez this game has so much more polish than Pokemon GO it's kind of embarrassing.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I'm level 20, and I had something (I forget what) that was like 400CP escape from two great balls and an ultra ball and then run away last night. What the gently caress. What's the point of ultra balls, then?

On the other hand I did catch my first wild 1000+CP pokemon, a Scyther. It was at the Brooklyn Museum.

So far in NYC I've observed these hotspots:

Bed-Stuy: Doduos
Financial District: Zubats, Clefairys
Battery Park: Magicarp, Psyducks
Prospect Park: Jigglypuffs

(Also my friend told me Inwood Hills Park is full of Hitmonlee.)

Anyone want to add to this list? Or, is there some sort of crowdsourcey database of this info already?

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
I usually wait until like after midnight EST to use any time-based item. Late at night, the server hiccups go from making the game near unplayable to just merely annoying.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

chemosh6969 posted:

If they treat it the same as ingress, you're better off making a new account and starting over. Once they get through the tidal wave of "servers are down", "i'm a high level and can't catch stuff i'm never playing again", "my friend's uncle works at nintendo and he said", they'll either do it or tell you it's not possible at this time but it's a feature they'll look into.

Ingress had a specific way to ask for it and even that took around a month.

Did they ever do anything about the ingress poopsocking power users? Just wondering if Pokemon Go will devolve into gyms being stacked with min/maxed Pokemon and any new players foolish enough to try and take them being accosted by angry nerds speeding up and yelling at them the instant the fight animation shows up.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Since spawns are static, does anyone know where I can reliably find dratini in NYC? I've found 3 but two of them were in places I go on the reg and I've never seen one in the same place twice.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

Since spawns are static, does anyone know where I can reliably find dratini in NYC? I've found 3 but two of them were in places I go on the reg and I've never seen one in the same place twice.

I saw a dragonite in Bensonhurst once and then the servers died as soon as I touched it. Never even seen a dratini

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Are all spawns static if not done via lure/incense? If so, my bees are well protected:

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Shifty Pony posted:

Did they ever do anything about the ingress poopsocking power users? Just wondering if Pokemon Go will devolve into gyms being stacked with min/maxed Pokemon and any new players foolish enough to try and take them being accosted by angry nerds speeding up and yelling at them the instant the fight animation shows up.

I've seen plenty of gyms round Belfast, Titanic Quarter in particular, that were level 8 with a full roster of 2000+ CP pokemons. This was on Thursday when the game was officially released here. Thankfully most are still level 3-4 and are changing hands fairly regularly, but I imagine that will change once the poopsock brigade get organized.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mr. Jive posted:

They're the little white dots, right?

Jeez this game has so much more polish than Pokemon GO it's kind of embarrassing.

I feel the opposite - Ingress has some retarded-rear end menus, like the inventory being an album flow like thing and the menus a tiny scroll thing at the top you have to slide instead of, you know, a MENU.

BrianBoitano posted:

Are all spawns static if not done via lure/incense? If so, my bees are well protected:

Locations are static, but the Pokemon type that spawns there varies. Next time your bees will probably be "protected" by a Magikarp*.

*(No, I don't know the spawn odds)

ymgve fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 17, 2016

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

ymgve posted:

I feel the opposite - Ingress has some retarded-rear end menus, like the inventory being an album flow like thing and the menus a tiny scroll thing at the top you have to slide instead of, you know, a MENU.

Locations are static, but the Pokemon type that spawns there varies. Next time your bees will probably be "protected" by a Magikarp*.

*(No, I don't know the spawn odds)

Right, but each spot has its own pool of pokes it cycles through, even if they're mostly pidgey, right?

They either all behave that way or they made a smattering of them work that way, since there are a couple of very obvious spawns in town (Pikachu in one particular spot by Lake Ella, Poliwag at one end of a bridge at Cascades Park, for example). If some of them are purely random, then yeah, no Snorlax in the future for me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Two things:

1) So the encounters legit change when you level up or just CP? Because it'd be nice to catch something besides Ekans, Rattata, and Pidgey around my neighborhood?

2) What's so bad about using your real name?

Taber
Nov 17, 2007

Malkin's worst nightmare
Went to rural Mexico where my girlfriend's grandmother lives. There were only 3 poke stops, and Pokemon were really sparse. There were two gyms, both defended by cp 200 Pokemon. Long story short, my girlfriend and I will be getting 20 free coins for awhile

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

I caught one Dratini, the only one I've ever seen, in Greenpoint near the East River, I actually plan to go to the WNYC Transmitter park today because I hear there are loads of them there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

SonicRulez posted:

Two things:

1) So the encounters legit change when you level up or just CP? Because it'd be nice to catch something besides Ekans, Rattata, and Pidgey around my neighborhood?

2) What's so bad about using your real name?

1) They do. I spent my first 2 days in my neighborhood catching Pidgey and Rattata. I just caught a Snorlax at level 22. It Gets Better™
(it's still 75% Pidgey and Rattata and Eevee though)

2) Please post your real name, city you live in, and places you like to hang out. Some people are actually comfortable doing this. Now find out your 12yo daughter is doing the same thing. It's not worth losing your poo poo over but still could be a problem.

• Locked thread