Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
lore of angry green fart clouds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Hmm, so an explosion spell, a cone blast, 2 combo DOT/debuffs, one for groups and one for single targets, a huge single target buff that also causes damage, and summon a freebie Cygor once per battle.

Not the most versatile or visually impressive lore but probably pretty strong TBH.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

lore of angry green fart clouds

I've been around flocks (Herds? Murders?) of goats before and this is accurate.

If the Cygor is any better than a 700 point unit I'm going to be very cross, and it likely will since 700 won't even buy you a gaggle (run? pack?) of trolls.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 17, 2016

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Its a shame that some of the spells suggests quite a different thing rather than what they actually do ingame, that Traitor Kin name and text screams "temporary turncoat spell" but instead its just a slow debuff/direct damage spell.

That spell before it seems to say "turns the enemy unit rabid" which could make them attack their own too but instead its a leadership debuff/group direct damage.

I get that having those actual spells in might be OP and be a massive amount of work but it just feels off.

Oh, also that the cygor needs to be in a 19/20 army, a bit weak but i get it, the Balancing alone would be crazy off otherwise.

Still glad i bought the DLC beastmen braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay irl whenever i see them models because i am a degenerate.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Yukitsu posted:

I've been around flocks (Herds? Murders?) of goats before and this is accurate.

I don't think I've ever smelt anything else as awful as a billy goat in my life, so yeah confirmed.

quote:

Its a shame that some of the spells suggests quite a different thing rather than what they actually do ingame, that Traitor Kin name and text screams "temporary turncoat spell" but instead its just a slow debuff/direct damage spell.

That spell before it seems to say "turns the enemy unit rabid" which could make them attack their own too but instead its a leadership debuff/group direct damage.

I get that having those actual spells in might be OP and be a massive amount of work but it just feels off.

Oh, also that the cygor needs to be in a 19/20 army, a bit weak but i get it, the Balancing alone would be crazy off otherwise.

Still glad i bought the DLC beastmen braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay irl whenever i see them models because i am a degenerate.

From what I've read about Lore of the Wild it was full up on lovely situational spells with really weird mechanics that had basically no chance of being ported over. Like traitor-kin would cause mounts to attack their riders (Good luck figuring out the stats on that even in TT!), that Scream-spell would give a single unit a one use immediate breath attack, the Cygor summon spell was linked to the caster, preventing them from casting spells and sharing damage, ect.

I was pretty curious to see what they did with Lore of the Wild since Beastmen were announced since it seemed completely unworkable really.

madmac fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 17, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Gejnor posted:

out of curiosity, I went and looked up some of the WFB effects of the spells and ehhh

traitor kin, for instance, made beasts attack their controllers/riders which on top of requiring the game to keep separate stat lines for mounts, would require a lot of, well, fiddly poo poo to get working, and its a fiddly spell that is difficult to balance. it doesn't actually do any turncoat stuff even in WFB. Devolve is a "fail leadership, take damage with no armor save" check so turning into a straight leadership debuff is a bit eh but its probably better than the TT version actually.

most of the spells in WTW are at least fairly identical in terms of intent/effect, but with a lot of the more esoteric bits shaved off and the effects more streamlined/standardized, which I'm not really opposed to. the summon spell, for instance, is a lot more complex on the tabletop (and a lot less useful, for that matter, due to that).

commentary on beastmen TT spells if youre curious: http://hoodlinghole.blogspot.com/2012/07/lores-of-magic-lore-of-wild.html

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Would have been neat if traitorkin was an explicit 'deals damage to mounted enemies' spell.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

From what I've read about Lore of the Wild it was full up on lovely situational spells with really weird mechanics that had basically no chance of being ported over. Like traitor-kin would cause mounts to attack their riders (Good luck figuring out the stats on that even in TT!), that Scream-spell would give a single unit a one use immediate breath attack, the Cygor summon spell was linked to the caster, preventing them from casting spells and sharing damage, ect.

I was pretty curious to see what they did with Lore of the Wild since Beastmen were announced since it seemed completely unworkable really.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

out of curiosity, I went and looked up some of the WFB effects of the spells and ehhh

traitor kin, for instance, made beasts attack their controllers/riders which on top of requiring the game to keep separate stat lines for mounts, would require a lot of, well, fiddly poo poo to get working, and its a fiddly spell that is difficult to balance. it doesn't actually do any turncoat stuff even in WFB. Devolve is a "fail leadership, take damage with no armor save" check so turning into a straight leadership debuff is a bit eh but its probably better than the TT version actually.

most of the spells in WTW are at least fairly identical in terms of intent/effect, but with a lot of the more esoteric bits shaved off and the effects more streamlined/standardized, which I'm not really opposed to. the summon spell, for instance, is a lot more complex on the tabletop (and a lot less useful, for that matter, due to that).

Ah okay, im glad to see that CA's actually one upping the TT's spell in this way, also i must say when looking on devolve its really quite interesting from a TWW angle.

It lowers leadership in area of effect AND gives a direct damage dot as well? Highly resistable but that sounds amazing vs say, wraiths.

Please, as if im THAT big of a nerd..... I am. :negative:

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 17, 2016

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

drat, summoning a Cygor seems like a pretty drat good spell. Especially for multiplayer where you're not likely going to have 20 unit armies.

beastmen op

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Perestroika posted:

I hope they find a way to include this guy somehow:

Is... is that an official SCRUNT?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Incidentally, check out the spell cooldowns on that video, Viletide is the lowest cooldown at 34 seconds, everything else is roughly in the 1 minute to 1.5 minute cooldown range. Seems likely they've done some magic rebalancing for the next patch.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

madmac posted:

Incidentally, check out the spell cooldowns on that video, Viletide is the lowest cooldown at 34 seconds, everything else is roughly in the 1 minute to 1.5 minute cooldown range. Seems likely they've done some magic rebalancing for the next patch.

Thank god for that

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

did they ever fix the issue where magic didn't scale with unit size properly so you'd completely annihilate dudes on the lowest size settings but you'd be basically useless against dudes on the highest size

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Babe Magnet posted:

did they ever fix the issue where magic didn't scale with unit size properly so you'd completely annihilate dudes on the lowest size settings but you'd be basically useless against dudes on the highest size

No and sorry but it's never going to happen so just play on Large.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that sucks

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

I mean, it might get fixed, but magic is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the various imbalances that emerge as unit sizes change.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just use mods.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Only use tiny unit sizes for warhammer fantasy battles canon

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
using raise dead to bring some zombies or skeletons behind a blob of infantry can already cause quick routes, I wonder how fast a giant smashing the rear with a rock will cause a route or if it's stats are bad and it just dies to any archers immediately.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

using raise dead to bring some zombies or skeletons behind a blob of infantry can already cause quick routes, I wonder how fast a giant smashing the rear with a rock will cause a route or if it's stats are bad and it just dies to any archers immediately.

The Cygor is more of a walking catapult. He's decent in melee as those things go, but he's basically a single minotaur when those guys usually come in units of a dozen or so. On a rough guess, a unit or two of spearmen or something comparable will probably get him dead fairly easily.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yes. *nods sagely*

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
If the beastmen campaign is anywhere on the level of Caesar in Gaul or Hannibal at the Gates none of you can stop me buying this overpriced baby-killing DLC that CA is forcing down our throats bad company bAD DEVS

I do hope they go with just the right level of ham for the voice acting though. I enjoy dwarfs way more than I really should just for their short angry northerner voices :allears:

Perestroika posted:

The Cygor is more of a walking catapult.

The Best Catapult

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

think this was made by gork himself

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Mans posted:

i want to see the lore explanation for this

Gamesworkshop in the 80s and 90s designed everything in primary colours and while high on drugs

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Kitchner posted:

Gamesworkshop in the 80s and 90s designed everything in primary colours and while high on drugs

Ah, how we long for those Halcyon days.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mans posted:

think this was made by gork himself

Mork you mean.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Perestroika posted:

The Cygor is more of a walking catapult.

I'm not quite sure CA is going to go to the extra effort to make it a ranged unit and I'm pretty sure it's just going to swing the rock around.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mork you mean.

WAAAGH!
(charges Arcsquad)

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm not quite sure CA is going to go to the extra effort to make it a ranged unit and I'm pretty sure it's just going to swing the rock around.

Why? They've not totally changed up models before.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't see why they would make an animation for the Cygor picking up a rock if they aren't going to chuck it.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Ripped from the Steam page:

Cygor: T5 monstrous artillery, special ranged weapon, very long range, causes terror
Abilities: Resilience, Causes Fear, Causes Terror, Soul Eater

Cygor gonna own

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Now the luminark won't be the only mobile artillery ingame!

Also lol at the description "monstrous artillery"

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I wonder how fast the beastmen will be? Seems like they had a pretty good running speed in the trailer

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Lone Badger posted:

WAAAGH!
(charges Arcsquad)

CA made a huge mistake when they did the Gork or Mork? events. Gork is superior because he has +4 fightiness to Mork's +3. Should have been +5 for either.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

CA made a huge mistake when they did the Gork or Mork? events. Gork is superior because he has +4 fightiness to Mork's +3. Should have been +5 for either.

Gork is +4 for 3 turns

Moro is +3 for 4 turns

So you really have to consider the pros and cons of both.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

unwantedplatypus posted:

Gork is +4 for 3 turns

Moro is +3 for 4 turns

So you really have to consider the pros and cons of both.

Except that Gork is better anyway. There is no scenario where Mork's bonus is better, because Gork gives you the same advantage sooner

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

One's brutally cunning, the other is cunningly brutal.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

Except that Gork is better anyway. There is no scenario where Mork's bonus is better, because Gork gives you the same advantage sooner

If you train an additional army later, you lose more of the benefit under Gork than you do under Mork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Gork or Mork, orkz is made for fightin' and winnin'. And there's an end of it.

• Locked thread