Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Miss Wallace posted:

I just looked through that whole comic and I have no regrets. I don't speak German but Hasselhoff transcends language. Also I think he plays matchmaker in it and it ends with him on a plane like "Ah those crazy kids!"

I smell a cross over with Linkara. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tracula posted:

I mean. He also directed 300 and Suckerpunch so I do wonder if he has a case of the "Not Gays" (I forgot who coined that term, maybe RLM?)

Plinkett's Star Trek 2009 review, Mike coined the term to justify sidelining McCoy and making Uhura more prominent because three men with close relationships being the leads of a Star Trek movie might make people think they had the gays.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tracula posted:

"Everyone says that about "Batman Begins." "Batman's dark." I'm like, "Okay, no, Batman's cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go."

"...But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie..."

I want someone to explain to me the context of why that doesn't mean what I think it is at face value. gently caress Zack Snyder.

He's discussing Watchmen, and how if Batman was in Watchmen's world, he would've been raped if he went to Tibet prison, instead of beating up all the guards.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

CelticPredator posted:

He's discussing Watchmen, and how if Batman was in Watchmen's world, he would've been raped if he went to Tibet prison, instead of beating up all the guards.

Which goes to show you how much Snyder cares about "realism."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Plinkett's Star Trek 2009 review, Mike coined the term to justify sidelining McCoy and making Uhura more prominent because three men with close relationships being the leads of a Star Trek movie might make people think they had the gays.

And also in Cop Dog when the ghost cop dog was given a french poodle girlfriend out of nowhere at the end because otherwise people might think he had the gays.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

The newest Movies with Mikey really makes you want to watch Prisoner of Azkaban again.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

poparena posted:

The newest Movies with Mikey really makes you want to watch Prisoner of Azkaban again.

Never heard of this guy before but anyone who gives Cuaron the props he deserves for basically saving the Potter movies from being generic and boring is aces by me

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Never heard of this guy before but anyone who gives Cuaron the props he deserves for basically saving the Potter movies from being generic and boring is aces by me

He's that guy from Gearbox who everyone goes fuckin apoplectic about any time he appears on Giant Bomb's E3 streams for some reason

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Alaois posted:

He's that guy from Gearbox who everyone goes fuckin apoplectic about any time he appears on Giant Bomb's E3 streams for some reason

well, he co-wrote the Borderlands games, and he voices Scooter in those, and I think those two things are pretty reasonable reasons to question someone's ability to be funny or enjoyable to watch

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

poparena posted:

That's a good video. Aside from the annoying accent, his Big Trouble in Little China video is pretty great too.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TheMaestroso posted:

Which goes to show you how much Snyder cares about "realism."

Snyder bad man

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

We need to stop Zack Snyder before he...points out that Batman Begins is unrealistic. Help. We have to stop him. Zack George Snyder Fratboy Lucas My Childhood.

I like that interview because it completely flies in the face of the interpretation that Snyder is some kind of drooling idiot obsessed with coolness. He fully understands the unrealities of the canon of stories he's working within and wants to tell a version that pushes against those ideas. Hence Man of Steel, a film that genuinely asks if never killing anyone for any reason is a plausible or good idea. Snyder's answer, 'in some circumstances, no', is somehow utterly terrifying. For the first time ever in a superhero film people are having to consider the consequences of a beloved character's moral philosophy. Good.

Note that Snyder isn't saying 'I want to see prison rape in movies and I am putting that in Man of Steel 2, check it out!', something the Vox reinterpretation of the Q&A seems to infer - he's saying that he wants a filmic Universe that reacts against the unrealities of the superhero genre. Hence why he brings up Watchmen, the comic that Did That.

The Watchmen comic [and film, which he made] features a 'hero' getting arrested and sent to prison and almost murdered specifically to spite tropes like using prison as a metaphor for a character's mental state and not, you know, a prison. Decades later, in Batman Begins, Bruce Wayne goes to prison because he's metaphorically trapped in his way of thinking, to learn how to be a badass. Then he gets noticed by magic ninjas and trained to become a double badass. And then two films later goes to another prison, which magically fixes his back and teaches him to be a triple badass.

Acknowledging that this writing is unrealistic is not even a criticism. It's a basic observation of fiction.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you are a loving moron

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Alaois posted:

you are a loving moron

Hbomberguy is the best poster on this thread and I will not have you dis him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

no, wait, sorry it's cuck my mistake, carry on

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man SA will go on and on about how nerds take fiction too seriously, but the minute anyone speaks in defense of a maligned movie everyone loses their goddamned minds and starts loudly whining about some bad experience they had in CineD.

Just ignore it if it troubles you so much, it's just a movie dude, it's not like anyone came out as an MRA or started talking about Trump is always right.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I want a internet review show where they go buy all those limited fast food like the MCLOBSTER and tell me how poo poo/good it is.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Man SA will go on and on about how nerds take fiction too seriously, but the minute anyone speaks in defense of a maligned movie everyone loses their goddamned minds and starts loudly whining about some bad experience they had in CineD.

Just ignore it if it troubles you so much, it's just a movie dude, it's not like anyone came out as an MRA or started talking about Trump is always right.

i'm not sure you caught on to the joke i was making

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Alaois posted:

i'm not sure you caught on to the joke i was making

Ohhhhhhhh, well now I am the cuck

Tired Moritz posted:

I want a internet review show where they go buy all those limited fast food like the MCLOBSTER and tell me how poo poo/good it is.

Someone get BillyMc on this if he's still doing food reviews

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Tired Moritz posted:

Dark Syde Phil's reviews where he eats a fast food or a burger with one hand while holding a camera with the other and reviews them are amazing and perfect. Every single video uses different review criteria based on how he feels that day (sometimes it's in comparison to other foods from that fast food place, sometimes it's in comparison to real fancy restaurants, etc.). You could not make a parody if you tried. They're amazing and also give a really good experience of what fast food looks like outside of the advertising. I stopped eating fast food because of these and also because Phil seems to have developed gout as a result of constantly eating garbage for review purposes.

Also off topic, but his cooking videos brought me to tears. He does zero planning, to the point of not even knowing the names of the foods he is making. One video is just labelled 'family breakfast mystery' because no-one ever told him what it was called.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 17, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYFdsQyNVq4

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

But dark things don't need to be realistic to be dark?

Hbomberguy posted:

Hence Man of Steel, a film that genuinely asks if never killing anyone for any reason is a plausible or good idea. Snyder's answer, 'in some circumstances, no', is somehow utterly terrifying. For the first time ever in a superhero film people are having to consider the consequences of a beloved character's moral philosophy. Good.

Except no effort is made to make this answer plausible and believable, or to make the audience think about it for more than a second, or to show Superman trying not to do that using the powers he has in ways you would logically use those powers, or to frame it as a tough choice, or to linger on the implications and impact of that decision, or...

Point being, Zack Snyder puts themes in his movies, but he doesn't explore themes. He just throws stuff in there and says "Hey I'm really smart!"
He's just like "this subverts our expectations of what happens in a fantasy story!" and I'm like "Okay...so what's the narrative point?" and he's like "It's subversive!" and then indulges in a pointless 30-minute CGI action scene like every other big-budget movie.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 17, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Crow was cartoony as poo poo and I don't even think they bought any lights for that movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

Except no effort is made to make this answer plausible and believable, or to make the audience think about it for more than a second, or to show Superman trying not to do that using the powers he has in ways you would logically use those powers, or to frame it as a tough choice, or to linger on the implications and impact of that decision, or...

You're confused. The movie features a very simple and stark moral choice with killing Zod. There's no way to avoid it, because if there was the war would have never started. There is no clever trick or gadget to fix things. There is no Phantom Zone projector to banish this terrible fear. There are no safety nets.

Like hbomberguy, says this terrifies people. There is only great power, and great responsibility.

Augus posted:

Point being, Zack Snyder puts themes in his movies, but he doesn't explore themes. He just throws stuff in there and says "Hey I'm really smart!"

Snyder bad man

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 17, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You're confused. The movie features a very simple and stark moral choice with killing Zod. There's no way to avoid it, because if there was the war would have never started. There is no clever trick or gadget to fix things. There is no Phantom Zone projector to banish this terrible fear. There are no safety nets.
That's not what I said. Superman doesn't try to avoid killing Zod. And the dilemma that makes him cross that line (the family being threatened by laser beams) is contrived and presented in a silly manner, and it isn't something that's built up to in the film at all. It just happens, and then the next scene is funny comic relief about Superman strong-arming the military

quote:

Like hbomberguy, says this terrifies people. There is only the great power, and great responsibility.
There are movies that raise absolutely terrifying moral dilemmas, like Sicario.
Man of Steel is not one of them. Man of Steel is a dumb movie trying to wear big smart boy shoes

quote:

Snyder bad man
People aren't allowed to dislike directors who they think make bad movies.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 17, 2016

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

If the point of Man of Steel was to raise the question of whether killing Zod was ethical, then maybe the film should have established beforehand that Superman has ethical qualms about killing. Because at no point in the film before that is the possibility of Superman using his powers for violence discussed. For a movie where the dialogue is 80% people philosophizing about Superman, by the end of the film you don't have any clear idea of what Superman's personal ethics are, beyond "I should save people, I suppose, if it doesn't directly result in my secret identity being exposed, which would be bad because uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

So sorry, but Man of Steel doesn't ever ask if killing can be ethical, it just says "yeah maybe killing is good" apropos of nothing. The real ethical question of the film is whether it's a person's responsibility to use their powers for the common good, when it may personally inconvenience them, and the answer is a begrudging "I guess so, but only on your own terms and at your own convenience".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

That's not what I said. Superman doesn't try to avoid killing Zod.

He avoids killing him, until he cannot. This is quite simple.

DStecks posted:

So sorry, but Man of Steel doesn't ever ask if killing can be ethical, it just says "yeah maybe killing is good"

Yes, the neck-snap scene doesn't really ask if killing is ethical. It's more of a meta-argument about the character. What the scene asks is what it's like to kill.

MoS says that killing someone is a terrifying exercise of power, and that there is no safety net for such decisions.

DStecks posted:

The real ethical question of the film is whether it's a person's responsibility to use their powers for the common good, when it may personally inconvenience them, and the answer is a begrudging "I guess so, but only on your own terms and at your own convenience".

Not really. MoS says that fighting for the common good is terrifying but necessary, and that you need to take a leap of faith and trust in others.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 17, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

poparena posted:

It's a really great film and easily my favorite from the Harry Potter franchise. It's the epitome of the magical atmosphere of the franchise and yeah it's probably the reason why we have a real-world theme park interpretation of the world from the movies. The Dementors were the most amazing thing I'd ever seen in a movie at the time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tired Moritz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2AWIXY1CXQ

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Augus posted:

It's a really great film and easily my favorite from the Harry Potter franchise. It's the epitome of the magical atmosphere of the franchise and yeah it's probably the reason why we have a real-world theme park interpretation of the world from the movies. The Dementors were the most amazing thing I'd ever seen in a movie at the time.

It's a legit great movie. It was so good that Alfonso Cuarón came at the right time. I don't find the first two movies that good, I don't know who edited them but the pacing (and tone in my opinion) is just off. Hell, I skipped the second movie in the theaters. Also, Gary Oldman as Sirus Black was a great casting choice.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
okay I changed my mind I don't want that

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I liked Half-Blood Prince. Had a real neat Cold War spy movie vibe.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The first two movies had a solid soundtrack and cast, but the third one is definitely when they got good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PassTheRemote posted:

It's a legit great movie. It was so good that Alfonso Cuarón came at the right time. I don't find the first two movies that good, I don't know who edited them but the pacing (and tone in my opinion) is just off. Hell, I skipped the second movie in the theaters. Also, Gary Oldman as Sirus Black was a great casting choice.

The movies are fine for what they are, but they all had a real (and growing) problem of excising stuff from the books to fit a reasonable runtime. I actually reckon that if they were adapted today they'd have gone the GoT route and made each book a season of a TV series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The first two movies had a solid soundtrack and cast, but the third one is definitely when they got good.

Poa has one of John Williams best soundtracks bar none. For a guy whose most notable for bombastic wagnerian scores, Azkaban shows how he actually has a ridiculous range of styles

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The movies are fine for what they are, but they all had a real (and growing) problem of excising stuff from the books to fit a reasonable runtime. I actually reckon that if they were adapted today they'd have gone the GoT route and made each book a season of a TV series.

I did not have a problem with that because there are a lot of subplots that just don't work well adapted, and if kept in, would have killed the pace. And as far as a TV series, the early books do not have enough material, so you would have to create filler.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PassTheRemote posted:

I did not have a problem with that because there are a lot of subplots that just don't work well adapted, and if kept in, would have killed the pace. And as far as a TV series, the early books do not have enough material, so you would have to create filler.

Not true, you could condense two books into one season. The last kingdom recently made the first two novels into a single season and did pretty well.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not true, you could condense two books into one season. The last kingdom recently made the first two novels into a single season and did pretty well.

You could, but because each book distinctly takes place over the course of a school year it seems weird to not do that for yearly seasons as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Harry Potter books have a very definitive span of time in each though, so it's not something you can merge or pick story threads out of for later/earlier seasons.

Edit: dammit ninjahog! :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Neddy Seagoon posted:

i never realize how mush i want a HBO or netflix series of harry potter until now.

• Locked thread