Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

I cannot think of a single group that maintains perfect consistency over the time period the Star Wars films are likely to span (especially when getting to Episode 9 and beyond).

True, but I would think having a literal committee dedicating to maintaining continuity would lead to more consistency than, say, the old Legends EU had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

True, but I would think having a literal committee dedicating to maintaining continuity would lead to more consistency than, say, the old Legends EU had

Basically the only way to maintain consistency is to:

- Never set anything after the most chronologically recent film

- Have very minimal stories (i.e., no Death Stars)

- Involve the main cast as little as possible, so they don't get into a scenario that would make them say "I remember something like this happening before" et all

And things of that nature.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"These stories only count if this corporate council says so" - a grown adult

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A Jedi corporate council.

NO ANAKIN SKYWALKERS ALLOWED!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"These stories only count if this corporate council says so" - a grown adult

Well, seeing as Disney is the corporate entity that owns Star Wars...why shouldn't they be in charge of what is and isn't canonical to the franchise?

The old Legends stuff is still fun (working on a re-read of the Wraith Squadron books right now, actually) even if they aren't canonical.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Canonicity is an attempt to control stories and thus strip them of their power. It's pretty telling that nerds unironically use religious terminology to describe the truth of stories. "Canonicity" is explicitly a method of control and didacticism. And it's a tool for pathetic idiots to elevate space wizard fantasy stories to the status of religion because they rely on a corporation to guide them how to read fiction.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 17, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Canonicity is an attempt to control stories and thus strip them of their power. It's pretty telling that nerds unironically use religious terminology to describe the truth of stories. "Canonicity" is explicitly a method of control and didacticism. And it's a tool for pathetic idiots to elevate space wizard fantasy stories to the status of religion because they rely on a corporation to guide them how to read fiction.

Yeah, it's a method of control to present a coherent, interconnected, ongoing narrative with internal consistency. Which some fans value.

And look, I made my point without personal insults; jackass.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't call you an idiot, I know that you're a mature person and just playing devil's advocate with this canonicity nonsense.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I didn't call you an idiot, I know that you're a mature person and just playing devil's advocate with this canonicity nonsense.

The concept of a fictional universe having a canonical continuity isn't "nonsense"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

The concept of a fictional universe having a canonical continuity isn't "nonsense"

Treating pulp fiction as religious texts is nonsense.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Treating pulp fiction as religious texts is nonsense.

Nobody is treating Star Wars as a religion. Yes, "canon" originated as a religious term, but that's obviously not the context it is being used in for this discussion.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

Nobody is treating Star Wars as a religion. Yes, "canon" originated as a religious term, but that's obviously not the context it is being used in for this discussion.

The only really distinguishing factor is that people don't believe Star Wars literally happened.

And even that isn't necessarily a disqualifying factor for being a religion.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The movies are always going to dictate the parameters of the EU, EU materials are never going to set the parameters of the movies. The new EU, I mean.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So far the new EU is being used to tell smaller stories or give background flavor. Everyone is right, you're probably not going to have big stories (as someone else said, no Death Stars) with the main characters from the movies, because you'd have too big of a risk stepping on someone's toes. And honestly that's fine. Lost Stars is one of the best Star Wars books I've read in over a decade, and it focuses on two new characters existing in the background of major events from the OT. Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron are some of the stronger books in the old EU, and other than Han showing up for one book and a cameo from Leia (...I think), the biggest character in those books was Wedge. Granted, you would have had a problem if someone wanted to make a movie about taking back Coruscant, which happened in one of the Rogue Squadron books, so something like that could be a big deal issue. But smaller stories in Star Wars is not a bad thing.

Use the movies for big, giant, epic stories, and use the books to fill in the universe. New characters, background stories.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Yet you've just posted a rewritten Nicene Creed:

jivjov posted:

Yeah, it's a method of control to present a coherent, interconnected, ongoing narrative with internal consistency. Which some fans value.

The theological formulations are quite similar, with the definition of a Christian Church being a particularly interesting comparison:

First Council of Constantinople posted:

We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen.

And [we believe] in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one being with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us, humans, and for our salvation, he came down from heaven, was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the virgin Mary, and became fully human. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate. He suffered death and was buried. He rose again on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.

And [we believe] in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father, who in unity with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets. [We believe] in one holy universal and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Objectively speaking, this New Canon is really an idiotic farce of the Arian controversy.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 17, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We officially have casting for young Han Solo, plus explicit confirmation that Episode VIII is picking up exactly where VII left off.

http://deadline.com/2016/07/star-wars-celebration-alden-ehrenreich-han-solo-episode-viii-rian-johnson-1201787697/

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 17, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

Canon as it relates to entertainment franchises is a joke and will always be a joke.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

kiimo posted:

teasers always come first. Trailers are 2.5 minutes. Anything that is 3 minutes is going to be an EPK or sizzle reel with behind the scenes footage. They are a long way from finishing this film, no way a 3 minute trailer would be released.

My god what a nightmare that would be to get done at this point in the campaign.

Listen to this man, by god he knows his trailers.

I feel like we'll get a proper full trailer by around September, premiere it during Sunday night football or some other big football game and put it online/in front of movies at theaters at the same time. It'll be interesting to see how well it does financially, I have faith that it'll be at least good (if not great), but I do wonder how a Star Wars film performs when it's the first side-story movie and when it doesn't have the monstrous anticipation that Episode 7 had. I mean, it's probably going to come down to how much over $1 billion it makes, but still.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
A Han Solo movie is the worst idea, I just can't get over it. It's everything safe and risk-averse about Disney, and it will go down as worse than any prequel. It's such a shame that they're wasting these anthology movies on such conservative creative ideas.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Serf posted:

Canon as it relates to entertainment franchises is a joke and will always be a joke.

I doubt Disney is paying several employees in the Story Group as some kind of joke.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Retardation is no joke.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

I doubt Disney is paying several employees in the Story Group as some kind of joke.

They're paying them to develop storylines. One of the sub-goals (making sure nothing is contradictory) is the joke.

Remember that the MCU had exactly this sort of system set up and it was panned.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Why is "maintaining internal consistency" and "having continuity " a joke?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

That's not what canon is. Canon, in your own words, is crafting a teleological narrative to organize a community - that is to say, a creed for a Church.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

Because as time goes on the difficulty of maintaining it increases by a lot and the benefits of maintaining it decrease or at least don't increase*. This is especially true for something like Star Wars because it doesn't have a set end date.

That's why continuity only really works in very limited runs (eg, the Hunger Games trilogy is only 3 films).

*This is especially true because most audience members really don't have that great a memory about films. People don't care if actors are recast (as the MCU demonstrates with the Hulk), as long as there wasn't some major cliffhanger in the previous film they won't really care if the exact beats don't match up. Especially when you're 4-5 films down the line and 7-8 years.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

Because there is no consistency between Force Awakens and previous films except in the form of rudimentary plot continuity.

The plot of Episode 6 is canon, while the narrative of Episode 6 is overwritten and ignored.

Serf
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

Are you a literal child or do you just have the mind of one?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Because there is no consistency between Force Awakens and previous films except in the form of rudimentary plot continuity.

The plot of Episode 6 is canon, while the narrative of Episode 6 is overwritten and ignored.

What from episode 6 was "overwritten"?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

What from episode 6 was "overwritten"?

Children redeeming the mistakes of their parents, for one. Kinda loses its touch when it turns out everyone is not only a fuckup, but had basically the same thing happen all over again.

(Though I think SMG would argue that's the point of the first six films)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Guys, I don't think jivjov is ready for enlightenment, and it's ok. One day he might be free from the illusion of canon, but for now he is happy living within the Lie and we cannot take that from him.

quote:

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Continuity is a tool for enjoying media in a certain way. Ensuring that a group of related stories possess qualities that make them receptive to continuity-based reading is a courtesy to a fairly large subset of readers. An emphasis on continuity can be pathological both in audiences (who can become obtusely immune to other modes of reading) and in art (which can become needlessly and awkwardly constrained in its literal structure), but the same is true of any other quality.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Jewmanji posted:

A Han Solo movie is the worst idea, I just can't get over it. It's everything safe and risk-averse about Disney, and it will go down as worse than any prequel. It's such a shame that they're wasting these anthology movies on such conservative creative ideas.

I feel the same way and was really happy when Rogue One was announced and took it as a sign that they were wavering on the young-X style of spin-offs.

With the the Han Solo movie moving ahead and the whole debacle about the reshoots for Rogue One, I'm a bit meh on the whole anthology thing.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

Well, with the Story Group being directly involved with the plotting of the films, books, comics, etc...that hopefully won't happen

I find your faith disturbing

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bongo Bill posted:

Continuity is a tool for enjoying media in a certain way. Ensuring that a group of related stories possess qualities that make them receptive to continuity-based reading is a courtesy to a fairly large subset of readers. An emphasis on continuity can be pathological both in audiences (who can become obtusely immune to other modes of reading) and in art (which can become needlessly and awkwardly constrained in its literal structure), but the same is true of any other quality.

Eh, like I said earlier I think people might care in the short term, but really not give a gently caress in the long term. So just because something was established in ANH doesn't mean it has to be exactly the same in TFA or Episode 8 or whatever 40 years down the line.

This is especially true when you hop mediums, and you get to something like "Dude in movie X has this type of armor but book Y said that wasn't invented for another 20 years!"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I agree with everyone here that the prequels should not be considered canon.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Trump posted:

the whole debacle about the reshoots for Rogue One

Which debacle is that?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TerminalSaint posted:

Which debacle is that?

Probably the one that turned out to be trumped up bullshit.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

thrawn527 posted:

Probably the one that turned out to be trumped up bullshit.

Dont bring trump into this

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How many stories are there about the 3 Musketeers? How many of them are "canon"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MonsieurChoc posted:

Guys, I don't think jivjov is ready for enlightenment, and it's ok. One day he might be free from the illusion of canon, but for now he is happy living within the Lie and we cannot take that from him.

How's he supposed to empty it if he keeps filling it? Checkmate "master". :smug:

quote:

I agree with everyone here that the prequels should not be considered canon.

As long as we have the christmas special.

• Locked thread