Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

objects in mirror posted:

So are the 480 and the gtx 970 basically equivalents?

Performancewise they seem to be except for DX12/Vulcan games (i.e., Doom and Total War: Warhammer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06
In DX11 yes, but the latest benches its shown to be slightly better then the 980 in DX12 performance.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

objects in mirror posted:

So are the 480 and the gtx 970 basically equivalents?

In DX11 games, the 480 is slightly faster than a stock 970 and slightly slower than an overclocked one. The 480 gains more from Async compute in Vulkan/DX12 games, but that's going to be a fraction of the games you are playing currently. Really the biggest deciding factor is your preference of the AMD or Nvidia ecosystems. FreeSync is cheaper, but GSync has somewhat of a lock on the highest end monitor market (which you probably aren't looking at with this budget). That's probably the biggest decider in AMD vs Nvidia right now.

At the same price or cheaper I'd definitely lean 480.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Hey, if I do get 4k and want to game with it at 1080p, can I do anything in AMD or NVidia control panel to force integer scaling instead of having the monitor do sloppy-rear end interpolation?

For Nvidia it's under 'adjust desktop size and position', I imagine AMD has a similar option somewhere.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Well I was thinking of switching to a 480 after the new driver's improved its power consumption. But now I'm more eager to get a 1060 FE, it's around the same price point as a reference or Sapphire 480 and actually feels like a better option.

I just hope it's compatiable with a Pentium CPU or I have to get a higher core i3 or i5 CPU...and I hope it's not restricted to a Z170 and/or X99 board.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Junior Jr. posted:

Well I was thinking of switching to a 480 after the new driver's improved its power consumption. But now I'm more eager to get a 1060 FE, it's around the same price point as a reference or Sapphire 480 and actually feels like a better option.

I just hope it's compatiable with a Pentium CPU or I have to get a higher core i3 or i5 CPU...and I hope it's not restricted to a Z170 and/or X99 board.

GPUs don't work that way, as long as there is a full size PCIe slot on the mobo(and there is, every consumer mobo comes with at least one full size slot) you can use the card. The real requirement would be making sure you have a decent PSU to power it with at least one 6-pin connector and that the card will fit in your case. The Pentium might make some games slow but it has no bearing on whether the GPU will work in your machine or not.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's the word on cooling 1080's? I'm doing a new build in August and want to use liquid cooling on the CPU, which means I need a GPU card that exhausts outside the case to avoid having super-hot air as my CPU radiator intake. Blowers will drop the air pressure so I was actually looking at this: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5919 and having it exhaust at top rear.

Two problems: It's backordered probably well beyond August and it's loving $1000 CAD. I figure I could also look for the MSI Seahawk but does anyone have any opinions? The case I'm looking at has plenty of options for air but I don't want to end up doing crazy poo poo like using unfiltered fan slots for intake or resorting to super-high static pressure fans that even the Fractal R5 is going to have trouble silencing when I open the top for a radiator.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Go crazy like I did with my build this year--get an EK Predator 360 with a prefilled 1080 quick disconnect waterblock: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xlc-predator-360-incl-qdc

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc1080-gtx

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Tomb Raider is under $38 bux right now on some sites: https://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/info?plain=riseoftombraider
The Witcher 3 is around $30: https://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/info?plain=witcheriiiwildhunt
Shadow of Mordor GOTY is mega cheap these days and runs phenomenally on PC: https://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/info?plain=middleearthshadowofmordorgameofyearedition

I'm replaying Dragon Age: Inquisition as well, which looks stellar with all the settings cranked up. Of those you'll eventually HAVE to get the new Tomb Raider though. Playing it on my 980ti gave me the same feeling I had looking at previews for Quake 3 Arena in Game Informer and thinking, "graphics will never get any better."

Oh awesome site! And thank you very much for the advice. :)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Go crazy like I did with my build this year--get an EK Predator 360 with a prefilled 1080 quick disconnect waterblock: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xlc-predator-360-incl-qdc

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc1080-gtx
I'm only really comfortable with closed-loop stuff after having a 4870 die from a single misapplied memory chip heatsink (thanks Filtech...)

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Pentium might make some games slow but it has no bearing on whether the GPU will work in your machine or not.

Would it help to get a CPU with a higher processor just on the safe side?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Junior Jr. posted:

Would it help to get a CPU with a higher processor just on the safe side?
The main things that determines whether a GPU will work or not are power and motherboard/case compatibility. You strictly need three things:
-Enough power from the PSU (usually one 6-pin connector but I swear I had a card back in the bad old days that was 8+6).
-A full-length PCI-e slot which virtually every board has
-Enough room for the card to sit in the case without being obstructed by drive cages you need / can't remove.

There's no real "safe side". A low-end CPU will only limit your performance but depending on your budget you might not run into scenarios where the GPU is so powerful that the CPU becomes the bottleneck. Truthfully I'd never build a gaming machine without at least a Core i5 but I tend to play high-end stuff. A 1060 probably deserves better than a Pentium but I don't know the low end of the CPU market enough to make that call.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I have a 1080 gigabyte G1, and the noise, although bearable, is kinda getting to me. If i wanted to put in on water, do i need a custom loop? Are there even solutions for third party cards?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Rookoo posted:

I have a 1080 gigabyte G1, and the noise, although bearable, is kinda getting to me. If i wanted to put in on water, do i need a custom loop? Are there even solutions for third party cards?

EK sell pre-filled waterblocks with on the fly plug and connect piping.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc1080-gtx-g1-nickel

Combine that with a 240 or 360 Predator for some sweet CPU + GPU All-in-one water cooling.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xlc-predator-360-incl-qdc

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Ak Gara posted:

EK sell pre-filled waterblocks with on the fly plug and connect piping.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc1080-gtx-g1-nickel

Combine that with a 240 or 360 Predator for some sweet CPU + GPU All-in-one water cooling.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xlc-predator-360-incl-qdc

I was looking at doing my first custom full water cooling setup but last night discovered the Predator, and yeah it is a super easy setup. EK can pre fill the GPU water block, add the quick connect fittings, and it's only another thirty bucks) Literally two cables, install GPU/CPU coole, and plug two water lines into each other, and you're done.

For GPU + CPU I'd probably go with the 360 if it fits the case. (Caution: even a case that normally fits a 360 radiator might not fit the predator. It has a reservoir + pump on the end, so get measurements)

They just need to add pre filled extra radiators with the QDC and there's a golden age of custom water loops available for even novice builders.

I might go self-built anyway for cosmetics plus the fun and learning experience, though.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is there a water cooling megathread? I haven't the first idea about it and would like to read up on it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just buy an ek kit to get started. They come with everything you need.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Sapphire's 480 is stock clocked at 1390MHz boost? I guess?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

6 THOUSAND dollars? I hope that's not USD.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Phuzun posted:

(Re: Simultaneous Multi-Projection)
Yes, needs to be put in the game code. Nothing supported yet.

That seems like exactly the kind of thing the driver could handle properly - present the surface as an ultra-ultrawide single display to the game, then do multi-projection based on the monitor positions you defined in the setup.

Even in vulkan/DX12 that should be interceptable, since the data buffers wouldn't need changing and you have to convert the command buffers to the hardware-internal commands in the driver already.

It would be useful for single ultrawide curved monitors as well.

I've only done simple (but modern) GL4 work, so I may be missing something. Fragment shaders only get a U/V from the hardware post-vertex shader, and vertex shaders get their x/y/z fed to them by the hardware. At what stage does the game-code need to know any more than the display resolution?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

KillHour posted:

6 THOUSAND dollars? I hope that's not USD.

5 bucks 99 cents!

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Lungboy posted:

Is there a water cooling megathread? I haven't the first idea about it and would like to read up on it.

I started here when I decided to put together a closed loop. http://www.overclock.net/t/226970/updated-water-cooling-essential-threads

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
And if you don't want to spend $300+ to make your card quiet, buy a $30 G10 bracket and $60 H55 AIO and enjoy your 50* load temps at a constant fan setting

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Meanwhile, the AIB 480 cocktease parade continues unabated. Sapphire keeps demurring whenever they have an opportunity to present, you know, loving any information whatsoever. ASUS is making GBS threads theirs out sometime next month, which probably means in two or three decades (and it'll have an nvidia cooler to boot), etc. The only company that seems to actually be marketing their loving card is Powercolor, and at this point that's what I'm leaning towards just because I KNOW A FEW THINGS ABOUT IT. How do you gently caress up marketing THIS BADLY all the time? Jesus christ. Just. Give. Out. Info.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Deuce posted:

They just need to add pre filled extra radiators with the QDC and there's a golden age of custom water loops available for even novice builders.

I might go self-built anyway for cosmetics plus the fun and learning experience, though.

I've had a custom loop that has been upgraded and changed through the past decade. I'm not going to even argue the cost, cause air has it beat without a doubt. If you are willing to spend the time to plan out your build and not rush it, I doubt you'll have major issues. Fit install and cut tubes, remove everything and fill/bleed/leak check, then install for use.

Right now I run 6 Enermax 14db fans and a quiet 200mm side panel fan. 240mm and 360mm fan radiators with quick disconnects between each component in the loop. It is very quiet at this point, and doing a single component change is painless. The days prior to quick disconnects meant pulling the entire setup out, to avoid leaking on your system, so I'd recommend them if in budget.

Bare minimum would be a block (or multiple), pump, radiator, reservoir, something to kill algae like a silver plug or coil, tubes, enough tube fittings for everything, and fans. Be mindful of the tube size your buying and pick it on all parts that need it.

Sorry I don't know of any guide links, don't really need em.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Water cooling is easy and cool, just set up a cpu loop last week. First time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Saw a 1080FE in stock at my local bestbuy, so tempted.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
I have a 1070 FE that I got straight from Nvidia and I'm slightly confused as to how I go about altering the clocks and setting fan profiles and such. I didn't get the option to install <insert manufacturer>'s hideous as gently caress overdrive superclock utility. Are all of the FEs made by one vendor?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Linx posted:

I have a 1070 FE that I got straight from Nvidia and I'm slightly confused as to how I go about altering the clocks and setting fan profiles and such. I didn't get the option to install <insert manufacturer>'s hideous as gently caress overdrive superclock utility. Are all of the FEs made by one vendor?

You can use MSI afterburner or evga precision, it doesn't matter the brand typically.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Linx posted:

EVGA Precision-X or MSI Afterburner will work on any brand of cards. The driver interface that tells the card to overclock is standardized, all the overclocking applications are basically just GUIs that give you a pretty interface for the driver settings.

Honestly the real question is why NVIDIA didn't just build a setting into their control panel like AMD did with CCC.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 18, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Paul MaudDib posted:

EVGA Precision-X or MSI Afterburner will work on any brand of cards. The driver interface that tells the card to overclock is standardized, all the overclocking applications are basically just GUIs that give you a pretty interface for the driver settings.

Honestly the real question is why NVIDIA didn't just build a setting into their control panel like AMD did with CCC.

We're entering bizarro timeline where AMD drivers and control panel are consistently better than Nvidia's. I am okay with this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

We're entering bizarro timeline where AMD drivers and control panel are consistently better than Nvidia's. I am okay with this.

I'm not. nVidia is still a better buy for the money. I shouldn't have to choose between good drivers and good performance. :(

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Linx posted:

I didn't get the option to install <insert manufacturer>'s hideous as gently caress overdrive superclock utility.

I can only speak for the Zotac solution and the MSI solution but I wouldn't describe either as hideous.

That being said, the Zotac utility does have some shady English. The utility itself is very easy and good though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don't people just use MSI Afterburner regardless of their card brand?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're all hooking to the same points in the drivers, just choose the one with the skin you like the most. I used to use EVGA precision until they made the skin something I really didn't like so then I switched to MSI afterburner.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

KillHour posted:

I'm not. nVidia is still a better buy for the money. I shouldn't have to choose between good drivers and good performance. :(

When was NV a better buy for the money in the past? The 290 owned price/perf for most of the 970's lifespan. loving laffo at how kepler did compared to it.

Or are we doing the enthusiast thing where we don't acknowledge non-top cards?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

xthetenth posted:

Short answer: yes

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anything less than a x70 doesn't exist and I say that as someone who basically just plays Starcraft and Diablo.

Except for the 560 Ti and 760. Those were alright.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

When was NV a better buy for the money in the past? The 290 owned price/perf for most of the 970's lifespan. loving laffo at how kepler did compared to it.

Yup yup yup

although tbf as has been shown to me in this very thread, there was a lot of improvement with hawaii cards over the years with nothing more than drivers. So much so that kepler 780ti was consistently better than a 290 at pretty much everything except in nearly unplayable 4k, and sometimes by a lot. That's definitely no longer the case... but as we all remember when the 290 was released for 6 months they cost $700-$1000. They only had a relatively brief time to shine before maxwell, then they really slashed prices. The 970 was an honest to god $350 card though from day one and that made things tough.

And back then a 280x and a 770 were nearly identical to the point you almost couldn't tell them apart, but that has also apparently changed quite a bit.

I'm not sure how much of a good thing all that is but it does go to show how good the actual hardware really was.

Was.

Now we have polaris.

>:|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Cancelled my GTX 1070 order and ordered a Strix 1080. A bunch of tech stores had a 20% off voucher on eBay Australia this morning and I got in quick enough to get the Strix 1080 for $1007.20 AUD shipped (around $765 USD).

Slightly excited :woop: