Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Have they ripped out the joy system for the Steam version? The Joy things are there to build, but my colonists have no Joy bar in their Needs. I noticed it because none of my guys were using the sweet pool table, TV and chess board. They were in A14, I was playing it just before I found it had come to Steam.

There are a number of changes actually, all over the place. It's almost like someone looked at it with Tynan to help make a more polished release, by removing some functionality where they had to (they can always patch it back in when it's right)>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm running the Steam version, and there is definitely a Joy bar. People also use the joy stations regularly. Try validating files, maybe?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I love me some space dwarves.
Right now, I just want to be able to build more than one civilization on the same planet. Maybe even let friends claim their own sectors of the world and show up under factions.

Maybe in 5 years time. Maybe.

In my current colony, my first prisoner was a completely useless woman with high art. She's pretty, but refuses to haul and clean. I was expecting my warden to stick to the mission, but they quickly built up 80+ relations and ended up shagging the first night after she joined the crew.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Broken Cog posted:

Ok I tamed the Grizzly Bears, but now some of my medicine is missing. Do Grizzly Bears eat medicine?

Animals totally will eat your medicine crops while they're growing (even visitor caravan animals :rant:)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Broken Cog posted:

Edit2: Help, I'm being overrun by chickens

Eet mor chikin.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
bought it six hours ago and have played six hours worth, what killed both of my colonies was the game consistently freezing a few minutes after a save. is this a common thing?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I have never had that happen.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Best way to make money early on is take escape pod or raiders that get downed and harvest all their organs :)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any benefit to having chickens? I got two x10 waves of them early on, but I'm considering butchering them all, as they eat way more than they give.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Broken Cog posted:

Is there any benefit to having chickens? I got two x10 waves of them early on, but I'm considering butchering them all, as they eat way more than they give.

Get them just a little bit of hay. That'll keep them going for a nice lengthy period of time. They provide eggs and more chickens, so they are a good source of meat and eggs while also being a nice trade commodity by themselves.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Get them just a little bit of hay. That'll keep them going for a nice lengthy period of time. They provide eggs and more chickens, so they are a good source of meat and eggs while also being a nice trade commodity by themselves.

Ah, think I'll just butcher all the chicks until I get some hay production up and running then. I used the rich explorer start, so I'm a bit short on manpower at the moment.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They'll eat grass if you're in an area with that sort of thing, so just let them wander if you're willing to accept some predator losses

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've got tons of grass around, but they seem to prefer prepared potatoes and survival meals.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

I've got tons of grass around, but they seem to prefer prepared potatoes and survival meals.

Just set up an animal area that excludes your farms and freezer. Always do that, really. I learned my lesson after taming a thrumbo once and it proceeded to eat an entire 8x8 farm plot in one go.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Also make sure animals can't access beer. Some of them are unholy alcoholics. Muffalo in particular will always seek out beer and once they start they will continue drinking beer until either they run out of beer or die.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
then i am a muffalo

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

sweetroy posted:

bought it six hours ago and have played six hours worth, what killed both of my colonies was the game consistently freezing a few minutes after a save. is this a common thing?

Do you have any mods installed?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I look forward to the scenario system getting expanded, so I can make a zombie apocalypse where every NPC is automatically hostile and also a slow horrifically ugly cannibal masochist psychopath without weapons.

With forced backgrounds for a set of player characters you could do Gilligan's Island or Lost in Space, too.

Edit: Coconut technology mod when?

Edit edit: Oops, double post.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 17, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Some 55 year old dude that randomly joined my colony just keeled over from a heart attack a couple of days after arriving, my doctor couldn't save him in time. Is that normal?

Edit: He didn't have any special health conditions other than an old scar when he joined, if I remember correctly.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 17, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yes, heart attacks are random. Rare generally

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I've seen "artery blockage" pre-embark before, something to watch out for.

Here's the whole list of change commits between A13 and A14 if anybody was curious

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
props to tynan game has owned for along time

prepare carefully has been a must have mod for the last 2 years

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Apparently the a14 version of prepare carefully on GitHub does work (mostly)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I got the game and started playing for a few minutes but still have Dwarf Fortress PTSD. Please tell me this game is a little more user friendly/simpler (not easier, simpler to navigate) than DF :ohdear:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

Have they ripped out the joy system for the Steam version? The Joy things are there to build, but my colonists have no Joy bar in their Needs. I noticed it because none of my guys were using the sweet pool table, TV and chess board. They were in A14, I was playing it just before I found it had come to Steam.

There are a number of changes actually, all over the place. It's almost like someone looked at it with Tynan to help make a more polished release, by removing some functionality where they had to (they can always patch it back in when it's right)>

I downloaded the non-Steam version and I also have no Joy bar.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

I got the game and started playing for a few minutes but still have Dwarf Fortress PTSD. Please tell me this game is a little more user friendly/simpler (not easier, simpler to navigate) than DF :ohdear:

Rimworld is about 60% of the crunchy over-engineered hyper detailed clusterfuck that DF is, but only has about 1% of the clunk.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fhqwhgads posted:

The storytellers keep throwing things at you til you die, so it's not really easier in that regard. The UI is obviously way cleaner (not that that is a high bar to cross), I've never had any issues getting things done.

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire
The important question is does this game have the DF engraving. I used to love reading all those engravings about the frankly monstrous goings on that happened in various levels.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Miffroon posted:

The important question is does this game have the DF engraving. I used to love reading all those engravings about the frankly monstrous goings on that happened in various levels.

Not as detailed, but you can see what a particular sculpture is.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Azhais posted:

The storytellers keep throwing things at you til you die, so it's not really easier in that regard. The UI is obviously way cleaner (not that that is a high bar to cross), I've never had any issues getting things done.

That's really what I was going for. I get that dying is fun and all, I just didn't want to have to learn a new 17 keystroke command to make a stockpile for this specific refuse pile, etc, and then watch as everyone ignores everything.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Any mods for leather armor or mail? what about animal armor?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Huh, that's a weird bug - guests and visitors have a Joy need and use the Joy items, but none of my colonists do.

e: It's a bug with the Hospitality mod, it breaks the Joy need and Joy actions

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 18, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

winterwerefox posted:

Any mods for leather armor or mail? what about animal armor?

There was one for a13. It was called medieval armor and shields or something similar. I haven't checked if it has been updated. Animal armor I don't know but there are a lot of misc outfit sets.

E: Aparello is the outfit set I was thinking of
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5085.0

Azhais fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 18, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Apparently if they're hungry enough, colonists will now eat dead animals without even butchering them :stare: -12 mood malus

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Trying it out, Thankies!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

They're little ambulatory egg factories which gives you a steady supply of eggs to make fancier meals out of, which require meat/eggs.

They're basically one of the lowest maintenence, in terms of both management on your part and just in terms of upkeep cost, animals you can have, and one of the most useful.

Danaru posted:

Apparently if they're hungry enough, colonists will now eat dead animals without even butchering them :stare: -12 mood malus

On the other hand, if you have a cannibal, tell them to do that to a human corpse, watch the result.

The system actually works for all creatures, wild animals will eat limbs off corpses. You can totally just keep a corpse freezer for your guard dogs to eat.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 18, 2016

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Tame animals will also go out and hunt wild animals when hungry, so your cat can subsist off squirrels and rats or whatever. You can even butcher what's left of the animals they don't eat, so having some tame dogs means having a small, constant stream of meat coming in.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Getting back into this after taking a hiatus from Alpha 9 or 10 or so, and I am relearning the hard way the importance of increasing your housing capacity before you need the additional capacity.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

As an addendum to chicken talk:

Seperate your hens and your roosters, and your hens will plop out unfertilized eggs, one of which counts for the equivelant of 10 meat/plant nutrition wise.

Putting them together will make fertilized eggs. Fertilized eggs in cold environs will hatch slower.

Rotate your chickens around a few grass plots, just be aware you might lose the odd chicken or two to wild animals getting snackish. Though in exchange you'll get wild animal meat & fur, so...

Fhqwhgads posted:

That's really what I was going for. I get that dying is fun and all, I just didn't want to have to learn a new 17 keystroke command to make a stockpile for this specific refuse pile, etc, and then watch as everyone ignores everything.

Yeah, none of that here. The UI isn't *perfect* but it makes use of menus/mouse and doesn't require learning arcane hotkey combinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Use the awesome mod Colony Manager to keep your chickens alive. You keep your chickens inside the walls and then you can have this dead zone in front of your base constantly updated as a hunting area. Any predatory wildlife that comes in there will get gunned the gently caress down before they get anywhere near your chicks.