Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's gonna win SFV
This poll is closed.
Infiltration 31 26.96%
Xian 1 0.87%
Tokido 12 10.43%
Harry "Virtua Fighter" Potter 5 4.35%
Diego 6 5.22%
JWong 6 5.22%
Sonicfox 10 8.70%
Lepper Marn 10 8.70%
When's Pokken 34 29.57%
Total: 115 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I'm ready for the hypest game at evo right here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Optimus Subprime posted:

Seating isn't general admission right? The spacing looks really bad, even if there are more people here then any Evo before.

Not GA, I don't think. People bought tickets for Melee and SFV, so yeah, it'll take a while until poo poo seems full.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Still can't get over how good Xrd looks. If only it wasn't anime airdash game I'd play it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus machabo

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Double Bill posted:

Still can't get over how good Xrd looks. If only it wasn't anime airdash game I'd play it

Just play it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, this sets a fuckin' tone.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

They really need to turn up the mix for game audio.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
S rank mixing on the audio there.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Double Bill posted:

It's certainly pretty. I wish more games would copy the art style. Reminds me indirectly of XIII from way back when.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Double Bill posted:

Play it anyway. Some of the best relationships require compromise.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I feel bad for the Millia player, but this is making Sin look fun to play.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
One weird thing of trying MB before GG is that holy poo poo GG airdashes feel and look floaty as gently caress to me.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

You never feel bad for a millia.

People are actually realizing how stupid it is that millia was given chroming rose as a super and using it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hellpockets is my favorite announcer second to yipes, he is just so good at getting things hype at the right moments

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

SectumSempra posted:

Well it's because they hand drew things on top of 3d models.

The most important distinction is that KOF chose no visual style.

All the best looking 3d games pick something or go for hyper reaism.

They choose like 2004 hyperrealism instead of going like cartoony, gritty, comicy (sf4 and sf5) , soft and ambient (doa)

That's not what they did at all. They had to make a poo poo ton of bones and meshes and animate them by hand. That's why it took them so long, they didn't take any shortcuts. There is a whole video of them going over the process.

Mad Lupine posted:

I know Xrd's graphics weren't a walk in the park. Knowing SNK's current situation, I'm pretty sure that they couldn't go the sprite route again. I just wish they put more effort into 3D. Basically I wish the game didn't look like an early PS2 3D game. Still will play better than any other fighting game, though.

I agree that there is a happy median between KOF XIV 2008 era Source Engine graphics and Guilty Gear Xrd's "anime to life" graphics.

DOA 5 would be a happy median.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Millia has been top tier for the past sixteen years, never feel bad for her

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Kazunoko looks a billion years old in that photo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lemon-Lime posted:

Sin can basically do whatever he wants as long as he eats on knockdown

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
they need to fix the crowd audio big time

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Who's hype?!?!?!"

*Silence*

seriously put the mike to the crowd or something

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

give it up for rion

Ky' Krew

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Veib posted:

As a filthy casual spectator, for some reason Millia is the only GG character that I despise watching.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
ryan hunter and hellpockets is probably a partnership setup for some wacky "getting over their differences" sitcom but hey

also TURN ON THE CROWD MICS YOU gently caress

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Who's cheering for ______?
*crickets*
Who's cheering for ______?
*crickets*

Is the audience getting muted?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's not what they did at all. They had to make a poo poo ton of bones and meshes and animate them by hand. That's why it took them so long, they didn't take any shortcuts. There is a whole video of them going over the process.

Yeah the entire thing that is so loving nuts about XRD is the entire illusion of 2D artwork, there is no 2D sprite work in that game, it is all 3D models designed to look 2D including the motion blur and such. It's really insane and there's a reason a lot of people say it's one of the most impressive looking games ever made.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

The audio mixing is so bad, god drat.

also RION RION RION RION

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Unfortunatly Hellpockets has just about no loving clue what's actually happening in guilty gear. Tasty Steve or MrBiscuits would be better, even Dacidbro would be better.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Veib posted:

It's fine to feel bad for the guy who came all the way out to the US to fight his local rival and got effortlessly clowned, even if he plays a top tier character. :v:

Real hurthling! posted:

Sin can basically do whatever he wants as long as he eats on knockdown

The food meter kept me away from him entirely in Xrd, although I'll freely admit I'm poo poo at GG, that makes him sound a lot more manageable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rion is hype as gently caress. RIDE THE LIGHTNING

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
raven excitement meter :|

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Kazunoko is playing like he's a billion years old too

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
The only problem with watching via Twitch replay is that SF was split between what, two or three streams last night? It's going to be hell chasing matches down like that

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Stream still says "Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3"...

Is it normal for Twitch to update so slow?

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah the entire thing that is so loving nuts about XRD is the entire illusion of 2D artwork, there is no 2D sprite work in that game, it is all 3D models designed to look 2D including the motion blur and such. It's really insane and there's a reason a lot of people say it's one of the most impressive looking games ever made.

I really do feel that Xrd is the furtherest you can realistically push 3D in the "look like 2D aspect".

That said even with Xrd there are still some noticable disadvantage from using 3D. Squash and stretch still isn't as good as it should (i.e. Jack-O's taunt) and you can still tell it's 3D at some moments. Still very impressive none the less.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

i know they did crazy mesh stuff, im referring to the by hand stuff.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

NecroMonster posted:

Unfortunatly Hellpockets has just about no loving clue what's actually happening in guilty gear. Tasty Steve or MrBiscuits would be better, even Dacidbro would be better.

Dacidbro is too busy owning scrubs in Catherine.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Fuuuuck that low profile, Rion is so good.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

I really do feel that Xrd is the furtherest you can realistically push 3D in the "look like 2D aspect".

That said even with Xrd there are still some noticable disadvantage from using 3D. Squash and stretch still isn't as good as it should (i.e. Jack-O's taunt) and you can still tell it's 3D at some moments. Still very impressive none the less.

Maybe thats why dizzy is taking so long to reveal. She was the one I was waiting for when I saw this style.

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

SectumSempra posted:

Just play it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SectumSempra posted:

i know they did crazy mesh stuff, im referring to the by hand stuff.

The mesh stuff was the meat of the work.

SectumSempra posted:

Maybe thats why dizzy is taking so long to reveal. She was the one I was waiting for when I saw this style.

It takes them around four months to finish one character. For reference that is the same amount of time it takes to complete one Blazblue character (which has more animation frames than the average Guilty Gear Xrd character).

People have to remember, the reason 3D tends to be faster than 2D in gaming is because they cheat and cut corners a lot, something that doesn't happen with feature films.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well yes, I don't think there will ever be a point when a 3D model will perfectly emulate a 2D model purely because of the fundamental difference between how the two are made, but XRD certainly does an impressive job attempting it.

• Locked thread