Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

My mom is a slut posted:

basically, from lurking the cold war thread forever: it will be fine eventually, though the project is off to a rougher start than usual. Lots of people hate it being a jack of all trades thus full of compromises (like the vtol thing especially) but its not the 60's and we cant afford to build separate bespoke models for interceptor/fighter/whatever for each branch of the military anymore. As long as we keep throwing money down the lockmart hole it will keep improving and be fine. I'm sure ill be corrected when baloogans off probation but i don't think thats far off.
the main thing the F-35 has going for it is that the U.S. can build tons of them. america wins by default, basically, since russia and china can't keep up. still a lovely plane and we'd be better off buying upgraded versions of existing stuff. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

although i expect the U.S. to shift to doing that, and the govt will never buy as many F-35s as currently planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Pretty mild, doesn't even rate Tinky Winky is gay because he's purple levels of homophobia nonsense.

Ugh, he's not gay because he's purple, he's gay because he carries a manbag.

Get your facts straight

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

oystertoadfish posted:

attn baloogan, half of al, other thread catholics
https://twitter.com/LOLY2K/status/754769066368180224
whats with chuck's profile pic it looks like a drat hapsburg

who do you think is madder, chuck johnson for getting suspended from twitter, or milo for losing his blue check?

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

My mom is a slut posted:

basically, from lurking the cold war thread forever: it will be fine eventually, though the project is off to a rougher start than usual. Lots of people hate it being a jack of all trades thus full of compromises (like the vtol thing especially) but its not the 60's and we cant afford to build separate bespoke models for interceptor/fighter/whatever for each branch of the military anymore. As long as we keep throwing money down the lockmart hole it will keep improving and be fine. I'm sure ill be corrected when baloogans off probation but i don't think thats far off.
thanks, is it mechanical or software stuff where kinks need to be ironed out?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

who do you think is madder, chuck johnson for getting suspended from twitter, or milo for losing his blue check?

The former, hands down. It was his best place to spout his abhorrent thoughts and organize harassment campaigns.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Twitter doesn't permaban, though, right? like, he could make a new account?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Frank luntz is a gift that keeps on giving

https://twitter.com/bykowicz/status/754774694738485248

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
lmao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HEY!!!!! RENEGADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I wonder if Romney will endorse Hillary in the end. He's the only Republican of that stature I could plausibly imagine doing so.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Slate Action posted:

I wonder if Romney will endorse Hillary in the end. He's the only Republican of that stature I could plausibly imagine doing so.

not if he still cares about his career

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Al! posted:

Planning to run again in 2020 at the age of 73, is he?

Nevermind, I already know the answer to that question.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

2 things:

Didn't the Kochs also back out of giving money to Trump even though he picked up Pence?

I saw the police union guy on Fox. I liked how he went from "open carry is irresponsible" to "Obama has blood on his hands and he made us into the bad guys."

Wait, is Obama to fault or the fact that there are so many drat guns in the population so you do not feel safe and are more likely to take deadly action?

Edit: I have wondered if H.W. And W. Bush would endorse Hillary if it did not look good for her. Trump has pissed off that family so much and H.W. And Bill have become close and supposedly W and Obama are on decent terms.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 17, 2016

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Al! posted:

He's basically out of politics anyway, though, isn't he?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
He basically already has

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Wait, is Obama to fault or the fact that there are so many drat guns in the population so you do not feel safe and are more likely to take deadly action?

well, yeah actually :v:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Slate Action posted:

poo poo, he looks good for a 69 (nice) year old. Guess that's what exfoliating with 100 dollar bills twice daily can do for you.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

*skimming* Law and Order on USA at 7pm tonight, ok got it.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

You're living in a fantasy world Zeppelin. Clinton's media outreach has been extremely on point and well received unless you're talking about Paultard Bernout holdouts just moaning about anything they can

i'm not living in a fantasy world, it's not like i want it to happen

so far it seems like clinton's media outreach has been hillary herself completely unable to get media attention while news networks broadcast a literal empty podium with trump's name on it, her surrogates like ed rendell or tim kaine either coming up with unbelievably tepid burns/catchphrases or outright gaffes, and the base sneering at everything she puts out as if it's on the shittiness level of "dangerous donald"

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/754755982148898816

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slate Action posted:

One of these years America's just going to figure out that they really needed Mitt all along.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lol at the TSA taking Alex Jones' side

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006

Sai posted:

thanks, is it mechanical or software stuff where kinks need to be ironed out?

there have been some minor mechanical things like an issue with the tailhook for the carrier version, and some overheating issues from all the electronics packed in there. People also don't like that its not as agile as a light fighter like the f16 iirc, and cant carry a ton of ordnance internally (and carrying stuff on the pylons kills the whole stealth thing a bit). the f35 design seems like its banking on SENSOR FUSION and low observability being more vital to its performance than having the tightest turn radius or whatever. I don't really know enough enough to say how the software stuff is going.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

One of these years America's just going to figure out that they really needed Mitt all along.

If he had run this year instead of in 2012 I genuinely think he could have won. As a bonus this might have meant Republican Presidential Nominee Newt Gingrich in 2012.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sai posted:

is it mechanical or software stuff where kinks need to be ironed out?
both. there is some mechanical stuff, but the software is the biggest outstanding issue. they should be able to fix it though. the main thing critics point to is the jack of all trades design, as mom said. and that's fundamental to the design of the aircraft.

the f-35 can do air-to-air and air-to-ground and it's stealthy and has a lift van for taking off vertically (two of three versions don't have this, but to make them compatible with spare parts, the non-lift versions have a similar design ... which makes them sluggish). so it does a lot of different things, but each thing requires a compromise somewhere else.

for example, there's a trade-off between stealth and air-to-ground, b/c the plane must carry weapons internally (smaller payload) in order to stay stealthy. the lift fan also makes it less maneuverable for aerial combat. but the marines like it because they can fly them off their baby carriers.

funny enough trump is the only candidate who has really bashed it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Twitter doesn't permaban, though, right? like, he could make a new account?

Nah, Johnson got permabanned after several suspensions and Twitter isn't kidding. They've shut down multiple attempts for him to sneak back online.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Lol

Video for anyone who wants it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6602LDSapmI

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

some ding dong detective just claimed on Fox News that Obama has blood on his hands. i thought we weren't supposed to politicize these tragedies?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slate Action posted:

If he had run this year instead of in 2012 I genuinely think he could have won. As a bonus this might have meant Republican Presidential Nominee Newt Gingrich in 2012.

I think that he and Jeb would've beat each other senseless for the same money & voters and that Trump would've walked away with it again.

Would've loved to have seen Candidate Newt, but we don't get good & fun things.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's also Obama's fault that there's so many people with guns in Cleveland right now, according to the Cleveland PD (or their union, I forget) spokesperson

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

TwinsensRevenge posted:

some ding dong detective just claimed on Fox News that Obama has blood on his hands. i thought we weren't supposed to politicize these tragedies?

We're not, which is shameful that the president said the words gun control after it. He has blood on his hands for doing that

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

It's also Obama's fault that there's so many people with guns in Cleveland right now, according to the Cleveland PD (or their union, I forget) spokesperson
Oh good, some preemptive blame shifting before everything spirals out of control.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

The woman in the background has the right expression on her face.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/754784630696452096

This seems even worse than the first list.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
No Make America Fun Again?

Sad!

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

If Alex Jones spends the whole convention pissing off guys like Karl Rove I'll buy a subscription to infowars

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Trump's name will be formally placed in nomination on Tuesday. My guess is that Don Jr. will do it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i wonder if tiffany gets really upset when you remind her that she's not her father's favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

zen death robot posted:

the NRA should be thrilled with Obama you'd think

you gotta have a purpose for something

• Locked thread