Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

So... people are getting up in arms because their free streaming service implemented a completely optional monetization scheme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

So if you want to donate a bunch of money use paypal, if you want to go onto a bunch of streams and "cheer" buy bits and spread around your pennies that will probably play a fun animation.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

No. You don't even have to use it. They're calling out the pricing scheme as horrible.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I just find it funny that Twitch has introduced literally camsite tipping.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think Bits will have value as anti-chargeback protection but the cut is not reasonable.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I've got an elgato HD but I want to capture Wii footage

should I buy a Wii HDMI adapter or buy a GV-USB2 or try to find my composite cord and buy a bunch of splitters and wish for death?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zamujasa posted:

Bits are microtransaction bullshit where you pay a markup price for a certain amount of Fun Money, but apparently the Fun Money is a 1-to-1 bits-to-cents rate. Paypal just takes a chunk out of the donation and calls it a day.

Using this Paypal fee calculator, here are the fee breakdowns for each method:

:stare:

yikes

The Rokstar posted:

You're not the only one.

It's really funny.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
That's heinous. Twitch taking 3x-6x more of a cut from loving $5 onward is absurd. I guess if 1-3 bucks is how you want to tip it's whatever but man, if you're going to do literally anything else just use PayPal.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm gonna become king of the genesis aladdin speedrunners cuz it seems like most runners play the lovely vastly inferior snes version.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

One thing that troubles me about bits is that I don't feel like it's clear to me exactly how much the streamer is getting. Regardless of how much twitch of it twitch takes, I like knowing that whatever I type into a box is at least close to the amount they get. Particularly with the (I think recent?) twitchalerts addition of the "I want to help [streamer] and also tip the processing fee" checkbox, I know more or less exactly what I'm paying and exactly what they get. I'm a big fan of actually knowing how much I'm helping when I help a streamer.

Bits feel like the microtransaction thing of muddying the water in terms of what I pay and what the result is. They feel shady. If they'd just put in a donate button on every stream that just says "we'll take 10% of whatever you type into this box" I wouldn't have any problems, and I might even use it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Crotch Bat posted:

That's heinous. Twitch taking 3x-6x more of a cut from loving $5 onward is absurd. I guess if 1-3 bucks is how you want to tip it's whatever but man, if you're going to do literally anything else just use PayPal.
They take fully half of subscription revenue from most people so this 30% or so cut is a downright bargain!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm running Sonic CD all good futures. I haven't found any info on this category since it seems like everyone that ran this game in the past just did any% with tons of glitches. so I'm just learning as I go and going for PBs, not chasing any real record because I can't find one.

https://www.twitch.tv/travsouls

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MooCowlian posted:

One thing that troubles me about bits is that I don't feel like it's clear to me exactly how much the streamer is getting.

pretty sure that's intentional

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

MooCowlian posted:

One thing that troubles me about bits is that I don't feel like it's clear to me exactly how much the streamer is getting. Regardless of how much twitch of it twitch takes, I like knowing that whatever I type into a box is at least close to the amount they get. Particularly with the (I think recent?) twitchalerts addition of the "I want to help [streamer] and also tip the processing fee" checkbox, I know more or less exactly what I'm paying and exactly what they get. I'm a big fan of actually knowing how much I'm helping when I help a streamer.

Bits feel like the microtransaction thing of muddying the water in terms of what I pay and what the result is. They feel shady. If they'd just put in a donate button on every stream that just says "we'll take 10% of whatever you type into this box" I wouldn't have any problems, and I might even use it.

Bits are worth one penny each to the streamer. You're just giving Twitch an extra 40 cents (at most) every 100 bits you buy. This isn't clear or really mentioned anywhere though, so yeah it's sketchy.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Renegret posted:

pretty sure that's intentional

Yeah. And that's lovely.

Like, I can accept them wanting to take a cut. Outside donations do probably take a big cut of potential donations. They're a business and it's understandable they're not really happy with all the people making money from their service without them getting even a small look in. Their method of getting a cut of that is really dodgy and it makes me uncomfortable.

edit: I typed that before the second reply was there. I guess that's at least a fairly simple conversion. If nothing else, it's an annoying extra step. At least for me, I feel like they'd make more money from me if I didn't have to buy their funbux first. Apart from anything else, it's an extra layer on inconvenience.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 11, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Basically people have been migrating to Patreon etc to avoid giving up half their income to a 'partner' that barely supports them, so Twitch is now scrambling to find ways to whiz bang people into at least giving somewhere near their normal cut.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm gonna become king of the genesis aladdin speedrunners cuz it seems like most runners play the lovely vastly inferior snes version.

I support this statement.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

CrashCat posted:

Basically people have been migrating to Patreon etc to avoid giving up half their income to a 'partner' that barely supports them, so Twitch is now scrambling to find ways to whiz bang people into at least giving somewhere near their normal cut.

Yeah, they only provide a free streaming and networking platform, hardly any support.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Hell yes friend, Aladdin GEN is a quality game. The movement tech is kinda tricky though it's this weird run-cancelling thing.

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm running Sonic CD all good futures. I haven't found any info on this category since it seems like everyone that ran this game in the past just did any% with tons of glitches. so I'm just learning as I go and going for PBs, not chasing any real record because I can't find one.

https://www.twitch.tv/travsouls

So like, good ending? Is that the goal here? Because is doing that faster than just getting all the Time Stones? I mean, it probably is I dunno really but it's something to think about

I planned on learning Sonic CD any% at some point because new tech got found in that game recently which broke it wide open and it's pretty interesting. You may actually be able to make use of it in your run, it's called Moving Peel Out Glitch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxvLvjnyF0A

go forth and route young one

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Hell yes friend, Aladdin GEN is a quality game. The movement tech is kinda tricky though it's this weird run-cancelling thing.

So like, good ending? Is that the goal here? Because is doing that faster than just getting all the Time Stones? I mean, it probably is I dunno really but it's something to think about

I planned on learning Sonic CD any% at some point because new tech got found in that game recently which broke it wide open and it's pretty interesting. You may actually be able to make use of it in your run, it's called Moving Peel Out Glitch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxvLvjnyF0A

go forth and route young one

Yeah, good ending, but imo breaking all of the robot generators is a completely different run than getting all the time stones and should be considered as such. In the end this is all for fun and I would have way less fun getting all of the time stones than I am right now routing when and where to travel through time to get to the generators. I've been routing on my own and based on my best splits currently I should be able to get sub 30. it's all down to executing that in a full run now.

I also like doing this glitchless but if I ever get into any% I'll probably try and learn glitches.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Rokstar posted:

Come on guys just fifty more tips and I'll battle Nimzo.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Evil Eagle posted:

Yeah, good ending, but imo breaking all of the robot generators is a completely different run than getting all the time stones and should be considered as such. In the end this is all for fun and I would have way less fun getting all of the time stones than I am right now routing when and where to travel through time to get to the generators. I've been routing on my own and based on my best splits currently I should be able to get sub 30. it's all down to executing that in a full run now.

I also like doing this glitchless but if I ever get into any% I'll probably try and learn glitches.

I reckon doing All Good Futures is probably faster than going for All Time Stones anyway for getting the good ending.

Also, again I rewrote the OP a little so I guess if ya'll are good with it and peaches wants to post a new thread or edit the existing one then this should be sound: http://pastebin.com/fN4Kzw4z

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Full Circle posted:

Yeah, they only provide a free streaming and networking platform, hardly any support.
Maybe the truth is somewhere in between?! :iiam:

Anyway it's what the market will bear right now so it doesn't loving matter what I think of it

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I genuinely would not know how to write something like that because I never found it that much of a process, you just kinda play a video game, record your time and then do what you can to get it lower, ask other people questions, look up the game, talk to people etc.

Like, it feels really simple to me and always has so I wouldn't have any idea what to tell people other than "play a video game but try and do it fast and then try and do it faster than last time".
Maybe some info about various timers to use and splits, or some stuff about streaming/recording programs.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

mp5 posted:

BigJon update

The new Speedrun thread - We call this the BigJon skip

halfcoordinated
Sep 27, 2014

One hand is enough.
Hi everyone, it's not WR but I went pretty dang fast in Momodora: RUtM any% insane difficulty yesterday with a 25:11 RTA

twitch vod with plenty of chat: https://www.twitch.tv/halfcoordinated/v/77476289

youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjZIvFY1GbE

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Steadily improving at Sonic CD all good futures. I got a PB today @ 30:54:38. I just need to clean up my mistakes and not have a terrible, terrible stardust speedway and I'll have sub 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-r_6RHbIoE
https://www.twitch.tv/travsouls/v/77737599

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

Steadily improving at Sonic CD all good futures. I got a PB today @ 30:54:38. I just need to clean up my mistakes and not have a terrible, terrible stardust speedway and I'll have sub 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-r_6RHbIoE
https://www.twitch.tv/travsouls/v/77737599

I posted this in the Sonic speedrun discord and apparently the guy who was working on a TAS of a similar category found it interesting viewing. I like the idea of the category myself, seems like a good 100% analog for Sonic CD. I kinda want to pop you an invite to said discord but I have no idea if I'm even allowed to post the invite on a public forum like this and not catch poo poo for it and I don't have PMs.

Sonic CD runs (and classic sonic in general for that matter) are conventionally timed with the in-game timer and not real-time though, for the sole reason of the fact that in Sonic games, the time bonus ticking down at the end of the level means optimal RTA strats is often to deliberately waste time at the end of the level and that's kind of dumb. I would probably recommend swapping over to that timing method (you'd have to punch the time in manually into your split program though which is effort) to have a much clearer picture of how well you're actually doing, as it stands you can lose a lot of time in a stage and gain it all back by having a low time bonus at the end of a level which is kinda daft.

also the obviously correct soundtrack choice good man good man

Oh, apparently someone else did a run of this category yonks ago at a GDQ? Maybe you can learn something from it I dunno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFwFg1xwEbI

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 13, 2016

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I posted this in the Sonic speedrun discord and apparently the guy who was working on a TAS of a similar category found it interesting viewing. I like the idea of the category myself, seems like a good 100% analog for Sonic CD. I kinda want to pop you an invite to said discord but I have no idea if I'm even allowed to post the invite on a public forum like this and not catch poo poo for it and I don't have PMs.

Sonic CD runs (and classic sonic in general for that matter) are conventionally timed with the in-game timer and not real-time though, for the sole reason of the fact that in Sonic games, the time bonus ticking down at the end of the level means optimal RTA strats is often to deliberately waste time at the end of the level and that's kind of dumb. I would probably recommend swapping over to that timing method (you'd have to punch the time in manually into your split program though which is effort) to have a much clearer picture of how well you're actually doing, as it stands you can lose a lot of time in a stage and gain it all back by having a low time bonus at the end of a level which is kinda daft.

also the obviously correct soundtrack choice good man good man

Oh, apparently someone else did a run of this category yonks ago at a GDQ? Maybe you can learn something from it I dunno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFwFg1xwEbI

I'd definitely be interested in seeing a TAS of this category just to optimize my own run, so I hope that guy finishes his. I totaled all of the individual level timers from my run and ended up with 23'19"50 which just makes me want to push it down to sub 22 or so. I can definitely cut my time down with better play and if I can get the Tidal Tempest 3 quick kill down consistently.

I tried playing through once with the us soundtrack and couldn't do it. just doesn't fit the game imo.

I'll check out that gdq run, his RT is much lower than mine so either I have worse routes or he's using skips I don't know about. I got into this game recently (like 3 weeks ago recently) and it's quickly become my favorite 2d sonic so I hope more people try out this category.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Also if you want to invite me to the secret sonic discord here's my steam account.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Travler903/

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Eventually all of the controversy about Dark Souls 3 quit-outs are going to be completely moot because they're going to find a way to skip all of the doors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgyyQSLfpA8

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Getting my time down in Sonic CD but I just missed sub-30 RTA. 30:01:26 RTA and 22'23"55 by the in-game timers.

https://www.twitch.tv/travsouls/v/78089678

I had a sloppy metallic madness and a slow stardust speedway 2 but the rest was really solid. I'm starting to become confident in my skills at this game and I'm finding new faster routes every day. Now I just need some competition to really push my time down.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 15, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Yay I got world record

Uhhh

Now I guess I check out how to uhh submit runs I guess

e: link to the run if anybody is interested for whatever reason

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/1092336

Plenty of places I can cut time, gonna shoot for sub-20 next time but who knows

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 15, 2016

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

i have WR in that dumb game Raelcun showed at SGDQ because I'm luckier

but I got some stuff to try with it because I think a different wagon than Wild might be faster

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure is a great game.

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure is a terrible speedgame.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
In case you enjoyed the dustforce DX run at sgdq, and also because there was a small miscommunication where the twitch link they had for sivade was wrong during the gdq stream, he's currently streaming WR attempts here:

https://www.twitch.tv/sivade

Currently he's basically tied for WR (0.6 seconds on a nearly 1 hour run), and trying to get it unambiguously.

e: over now. had a run where he was green into yotta, feel like he can definitely get this soon.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 16, 2016

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure is a great game.

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure is a terrible speedgame.

It really is.

Like runs can be summed up in note form as "Got Event X (+Y seconds from getting nothing/fastest event)" and the goal is to get as little of the things that make the game fun in a run. Also, I tried my theory of a different wagon being faster and nah it's probably not worth it in the end.

100% would be like a reverse stupid where you want to get every event but are then going to be annoyed when you inevitably don't in a reasonable time frame.

Here is the run video!

Or, in text form:

lost time on forest to random events, good bandits though due to random laser blaster drops which mitigated somewhat (this is relevant exactly twice in the game which is that events that actually don't progress until waves of enemies are killed go faster if you use a weapon that vaporises bodies because otherwise it doesn't progress until the bodies scroll off the screen)
random events were largely ok enough for the next three areas, not great but nothing that wastes huge chunks of time
got a random event that I could suicide to skip and save time on mountain pass which made the difference
did not get any random events from that point onwards, resulted in time saved

Might try for sub-8 if I get bored.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 17, 2016

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I submitted a run of Bionic Commando (2009) to speedrun.com, but the only mod for the game hasn't been on in weeks. Does anyone know if there's an admin I could contact to get my run approved?

Fogie
Mar 1, 2003

LackAttack24 has been lured out of retirement to try improving his Legend of Zelda any% WR

https://www.twitch.tv/lackattack24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's sick how he has the pb video running in the corner.

• Locked thread